Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,999 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. (5323 Views)

5 Types Of Hair Cut For The Fashion Conscious Man; Old School Is The New School / Student Creates An Outfit With Bundles Of Hair For Her School Pageant / Lady Wore Bra & Panties To The Market In Malawi & Got People Talking. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:09am On Oct 19, 2016
As hair extensions once again surge in popularity, there have been renewed calls to educate the public on where a lot of this hair comes from.

Though some hair extensions come from animals and others are synthetic, but a lot of the higher-end hair extensions from companies such as Great Lengths, actually come from temples in India.

According to the documentary “Hair India,” Hindu pilgrims have donated their hair at holy temples throughout Southern India for centuries in an attempt to purify themselves and repay debt to their gods.

The Venkateswara Temple in Tirumala, India, had a problem. Thirty to forty million pilgrims visit the temple each year, thousands everyday and in a gesture of humility and sacrifice, 10% to 25% of them, men and women both, have their heads shaven.

At the temple, some 650 barbers sit in lines on the concrete floor and tie the women’s hair into ponytails before cutting it off. Once the large portions of hair are removed, the barbers use a razor to shave each pilgrims head, before dousing their head with water to wash away any blood.

When companies buy hair from the temple for as much as $700 per pound, it contains sweat, blood, and lice.

Africa also bucks global trends: despite the prevalence of poverty in many countries, Africa isan importer of hair.

Britain, the third largest importer in the world, buys 43 million tonnes of human hair a year. That’s enough to cover two million heads, or stretch around the world 3,200 times.

In India, they’ve been known to target men, offering them £6 if they persuade their wives to sell their hair.

There have been reports of husbands forcing their wives to do so, and of women being attacked and shaven by gangs.

Slum children have been tricked into having their heads shorn in exchange for toys. ‘I was held down by a gang of men who hacked at my hair,’ one girl said. ‘I know of other women who have been blackmailed and threatened.’

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3849708/The-shadowy-human-cost-1-200-hair-extensions-style-obsessed-women-t-live-without.html

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:11am On Oct 19, 2016
Women wait in line in at a temple in southern India where they have their heads shaved, pictured, with steel blades as an offering to Vishnu, often knowing the hair will be sold on.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:12am On Oct 19, 2016
A boy having his head shaved.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:14am On Oct 19, 2016
A temple in Tirumala made £22million in a single year from the 'mountains of black gold' it received from local women.

1 Share

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:18am On Oct 19, 2016
Once hair is collected, bought by companies, it’s transported (rolled up in huge bales like hay) by road and plane to factories, and distributed to workers as many as 350 per site to be processed.

There’s a lot of secrecy in the trade. Obtaining hair is not easy, and there’s a risk of it being stolen while in transit. ‘Hair collectors are in competition,’ says Ms Tarlo. ‘The factories don’t want to reveal their sources and they don’t want to give away their methods for bleaching or processing the hair.

‘Hair is worth a lot of money it’s known in the industry as “black gold”.’

The first stage in the extension making process is to separate each hair, with women in a factory in China, pictured, taking on the painfully slow and poorly paid job.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 19, 2016
This is a disgusting habit of black women...WTF.....Can't y'all Hoes grow your Afros.

Hmm Catch my lines....I am feeling some type of way... Kingcheezypuff lecture them on Afro 101

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Funjosh(m): 5:48am On Oct 19, 2016
Explorers:
Women wait in line in at a temple in southern India where they have their heads shaved, pictured, with steel blades as an offering to Vishnu, often knowing the hair will be sold on.

Head shaved in a Temple to collect the hair then offered to gods and later sold to ladies. May be this is the reason why some ladies like hitting their head once they have it on. Hindu gods are having meeting lipsrsealed

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:51am On Oct 19, 2016
Washing the hair.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Cutehector(m): 5:54am On Oct 19, 2016
grin
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:57am On Oct 19, 2016
The next part is soaking the hair. The cheaper waste is soaked in acid to remove germs.

High- quality hair is placed in an osmosis bath, the exact composition of which is a closely guarded secret.

A mixture of chemicals slowly removes dark pigments without damaging the cuticles (the outer part of the hair shaft), which would otherwise leave it dry and brittle.

The locks, pictured, are then soaked in a mixture of chemicals making them shiny, elastic and ready to be dyed, with up to 20 days needed to achieve the right colour.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 5:59am On Oct 19, 2016
Finally they end up in salons in Britain, pictured, with the average client paying between £790 and £1,200 for them depending on length and volume.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 6:02am On Oct 19, 2016
Or in Africa hair market or salon.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 6:03am On Oct 19, 2016
Funjosh:

Head shaved in a Temple to collect the hair then offered to gods and later sold to ladies. May be this is the reason why some ladies like hitting their head once they have it on. Hindu gods are having meeting lipsrsealed

Lol....offered to gods.
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by fidek(m): 6:10am On Oct 19, 2016
I have seen this documentry before on BBC
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Luckygurl(f): 6:33am On Oct 19, 2016
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 19, 2016
No wonder our girls have so many evil spirit among them. Nothing you do pleases or satisfy them.

Indeed, the gods are having meetings on our African girls!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 19, 2016
Wingback:
This is a disgusting habit of black women...WTF.....Can't y'all Hoes grow your Afros.

Hmm Catch my lines....I am feeling some type of way... Kingche.ezypuff lecture them on Afro 101
Can't, human hair is bought by non Blacks too.

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by adefemi007(m): 8:25am On Oct 19, 2016
no wonder our girls dey misbehave wen the gods are having meeting
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by armadeo(m): 8:56am On Oct 19, 2016
Lol.

This won't stop naija from purchasing.

I believe that were it here people would be beheaded for thier hair.

1 Like

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by sisisioge: 9:50am On Oct 19, 2016
Seen...

By the way, could it be that they've been bringing fakes here? This is cos we mostly don't get to buy them that expensive... Is 40k to 150k up to that plenty pounds mentioned? Maybe ours are goat hair shocked shocked shocked

Whew grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 10:10am On Oct 19, 2016
sisisioge:
Seen...

By the way, could it be that they've been bringing fakes here? This is cos we mostly don't get to buy them that expensive... Is 40k to 150k up to that plenty pounds mentioned? Maybe ours are goat hair shocked shocked shocked

Whew grin grin grin

May be they've been mixed, not pure human hair. They will prefer taking the pure hair to countries where they can have more buyers. How many Nigerians will spend almost 100k buying an extension that will be used for just 2weeks?
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Ishilove: 12:00pm On Oct 19, 2016
Funjosh:

You cannot understand grin

1 Like

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by olayinkajnr(m): 3:17pm On Oct 19, 2016
I watched this on CNN... So disgusting. No wonder some of our ladies Behaves anyhow..
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Mintayo(m): 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2016
I was telling someone to stop buying all these human hairs that were offered to some "demons" before been sold to the market, or she should just pray over them undecided. She called me names.
This is not funny at all.

1 Like

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by tk4rd: 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2016
Hmmmmmm.!!!!
That's all I have to say.
Nothing More.
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 19, 2016
bleeehh!! thank God I stopped using this shit long ago lipsrsealed
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 6:01pm On Oct 19, 2016
One such lady, a 40 yr old housewife, has been walking to the temple for over 30 hours in her bare feet. This is the fifth time that Pujari Aruna has given up her hair and she is with her family of 25 members and friends who are also there to get their heads shaved.

She said, “Offering your hair to the god is a symbolic gesture of surrendering one’s ego and a way of giving thanks for your blessings.” Aruna is thankful because her husband, Pujari Nagraja, 45, made a swift recovery after an accident.

Although she does not know exactly what the temple will do with her hair, she has a rough idea, “I don’t know what temple staff will do with it but I am sure they sell it to someone.”

The hair is removed by shaving and takes a few seconds with the average woman’s head yielding around 10oz of hair, worth about £210 in extensions.

The candidates usually tie their hair back into ponytails to make it easier for the six hundred and fifty so barbers to shave it quickly where it is put into a basket and then washed.

The temple at Tirumala Venkateswara attracts many tens of thousands of pilgrims in a single day and although it has 18 massive shaving halls, the crowds are so big that women and young girls can wait in the queue for up to five hours.

Mayoor Balsara, chief executive of India’s largest exporter of human hair, Sona Devi Trading Company, says, “For poor rural women, their hair is their only vanity.

They have saved up to make a once-in-a-lifetime journey. Thousands have made an oath to their gods they may have asked to be blessed with a child or for a good harvest.

Should their wish be fulfilled, they offer their most precious possession as a sign of gratitude.”

Temple hair is much sought after as it has typically never been processed, is stronger and more healthy, has never been dyed or washed with any substance more abrasive than coconut oil and herbal soap and often you will find it has not been cut. And as once where Russian hair was the gold standard of hair extensions, now Indian hair is making its mark as clients are finding that European hair is too thin in diameter for the process whilst Chinese hair, in the meantime, is simply too thick and rigid for use with European clients.

Officials who run the temple argue that the hair would be thrown away if not used and some profit from selling the hair is paid back into the community by way of funding orphanages and hospitals, with an estimated £70 million a year being spent. As for women such as Aruna, they would never dream of asking for money for their hair. A simple blessing is enough.

If you are thinking of getting hair extensions always ask your hair consultant if they have been ethically sourced.

http://www.shoppersbase.com/13963/how-temple-hair-offered-as-religious-gift-ends-up-as-hair-extensions/

lalasticlala

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Olarewajub: 7:15pm On Oct 19, 2016
Very disgusting.

2 Likes

Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by pretydiva(f): 6:20am On Oct 20, 2016
Ewww..its kinds irritating
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by prettyjo(f): 6:37am On Oct 20, 2016
it will still not make people to stop buying the hair
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by Explorers(m): 7:12am On Oct 20, 2016
prettyjo:
it will still not make people to stop buying the hair

Sure..
Re: Source Of Hair Extension: From Tirumala To The Salon, The Market Of Human Hair. by freecocoa(f): 7:15am On Oct 20, 2016
Our religious brethren this part of the globe, say the hairs come from the marine kingdom, explorers, you trying to say they are ignorant liars? grin

Kai! Blood and lice, I'm tempted to say I ain't having no weave on my head no more, but, who am I kidding?cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

2021 Best African #bridal #hairstyles - Most Elegant And Gorgeous #wedding Hair / Would You Buy This? Swimsuit Idea, Critque Needed :) / Photos: Hmmm! Most Beautiful Girl In Benue, Jennifer Achado Hits The Gym

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.