Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,535 members, 7,827,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad (27022 Views)

Why Banks Are Into Telecom Biz Is Finally Revealed / Another First As Firstbank’s Payment Card Hits 10 Million In Nigeria / Why Banks Charge High Interest Rates On Loans—emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Tobyshegz(m): 7:11am On Oct 20, 2016
What should i say sef
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by MSItachi: 7:11am On Oct 20, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:11am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:
I was surprised when I was charged at N322 by a bank for online transaction.
so r u trying to say online transactions will reduce now?
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Moreoffaith(m): 7:13am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:

At least you safe some naira on that transaction and some dude are here wailing, I don't blame them though, they do not understand what this really mean to those living abroad and to those who buy things online with their cards.

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by spidey77: 7:13am On Oct 20, 2016
all dis na story for fe rich n wealthy percent of the populace....my own is, how does dis reduce d price of Garri? bcus DAT 1 affects all

2 Likes

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Miles300: 7:15am On Oct 20, 2016
It is long over due , saboteurs , if they source it for 400, from who and where ? Are they not the same bank that sell to bds? So where are they sourcing their dollars from

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by yaki84: 7:16am On Oct 20, 2016
i dont blame d banks, i blame bank customers.

How much forex do cbn give to banks daily?
Some customers will want to use 200 peoples slot alone.

Also cbn shud uplift d ban on dollar deposit, i keep saying this nigerians hv enough dolls in their bedroom but they cant take it to the bank.

3 Likes

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by lancehayat(m): 7:16am On Oct 20, 2016
Your dream shall become real if you had stole government funds.
blaise00700:
I had a nightmare last night, i saw Buhari in my dream giving orders to EFCC official to break my front door shocked

Any Joseph in the house to help interpret

Note : I didn't study law grin

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by 989900D: 7:17am On Oct 20, 2016
These banks can lie for Africa. cheesy shocked shocked

They will soon be back though, by the time they realize N5, N10, is better than nothing . . . e be like say dem never hear say "na at all, at all na hin bad".

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by otokx(m): 7:17am On Oct 20, 2016
We can now see that the banks are one of the problems of Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:18am On Oct 20, 2016
yaki84:

Also cbn shud uplift d ban on dollar deposit, i keep saying this nigerians hv enough dolls in their bedroom but they cant take it to the bank.

I agree with u, CBN nids to c dis comment
Oya forwarding==========>CBN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Realdeals(m): 7:18am On Oct 20, 2016
wolfenstein:

so r u trying to say online transactions will reduce now?
Not it will, it has reduced. Though most bank have stopped naira card usage for both ATM and online transactions, GTB still allows it but peg monthly usage at $100
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by otokx(m): 7:19am On Oct 20, 2016
yaki84:

You can deposit dollars in your domiciliary account but be ready to explain the source when called upon.

3 Likes

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:20am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:

Not it will, it has reduced. Though most bank have stopped naira card usage for both ATM and online transactions, GTB still allows it but peg monthly usage at $100
That's rubbish from GTB o, so I can't buy something more than $100 a month with my Naira Master Card from GTB
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by 989900D: 7:22am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:

GTB will likely increase the limit a little, with time, and the CBN might just bring them back in, like FBN.

$100 is better than $0.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Realdeals(m): 7:27am On Oct 20, 2016
989900D:

GTB will likely increase the limit a little, with time, and the CBN might just bring them back in, like FBN.

$100 is better than $0.
Abi o, don't mind the guy that quoted me, what will he have said of banks that stop its usage totally.
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:29am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:

Abi o, don't mind the guy that quoted me, what will he have said of banks that stop its usage totally.
hmmm I see u grin

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by ezechueze(m): 7:30am On Oct 20, 2016
OK
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wristbangle: 7:32am On Oct 20, 2016
989900D:
These banks can lie for Africa. cheesy shocked shocked

They will soon be back though, by the time they realize N5, N10, is better than nothing . . . e be like say dem never hear say "na at all, at all na hin bad".

No mind them. Dem lack Initiative, planning and worst still, dem come lazy, barau(thief, corporate armed robbers). Dem dey extort people anyhow becos demand high. CBN dey sell at 280 for them. Shey at 320, the profit no do? Dem like am as dem dey charge 400 from customers.. Awon ole jati jati. Useless banks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by iwatch: 7:34am On Oct 20, 2016
Hawlahscho:
Wait..... Someone pls tell me. Is this the reason I cant link my Naira MasterCard with my Google play store for purchases
create a paypal account and switch to DCC within your paypal account.
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Realdeals(m): 7:39am On Oct 20, 2016
wolfenstein:

hmmm I see u grin
Lol! rather than appreciate the bank for the little they do, you still complain..
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:41am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:
Lol! rather than appreciate the bank for the little they do, you still complain..
No mind me jawe, so u saying bank charges now online will b reduced?
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by modath(f): 7:43am On Oct 20, 2016
yaki84:

There is no ban on Forex deposit... Call your bank's CC to confirm in case my word isn't good enough.

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by obailala(m): 7:44am On Oct 20, 2016
The only bit of this whole mess I don't understand is why the CBN keeps maintaining a wide gap between the interbank and blackmarket rates. I thought we were supposed to be floating the currency?... Why on earth do we still have such a wide difference between official and parallel rates?

CBN keeps forcing everyone to exchange at unrealistically low official rates thereby encouraging the exact same round-tripping which we were supposed to have eliminated by floating the Naira.

Today Nigeria is hoping to utilise the massive diaspora remittances to plug the forex gap, but at the same time, CBN is pegging the maximum rate at which international money transfer organisations like AZIMO, Western Union etc should exchange for. AZIMO for instance exchanges £1 for N450 while the true value of the pound (black market) is in the range of N550-600. How on earth is this stupid regulation supposed to encourage those in diaspora to send more money?.... I think the entire board of the CBN needs to be flushed out cos they are as clueless as the word itself.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by lordkay10(m): 7:45am On Oct 20, 2016
Realdeals:
Which bank
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by modath(f): 7:46am On Oct 20, 2016
otokx:

You can deposit dollars in your domiciliary account but be ready to explain the source when called upon.

This is not true, unless you are making huge deposits in 100s of thousands of forex, the 1k-10k (400k-4m) range don't attract such scrutiny.
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by modath(f): 7:48am On Oct 20, 2016
iwatch:
create a paypal account and switch to DCC within your paypal account.

Can you take me through the process? Thx.
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Immacula8(m): 7:55am On Oct 20, 2016
Banks said this was not possible because the lenders had been sourcing dollars at rates above N400 per dollar to run their card services. We could not get dollars from the interbank market.

Hard core lies!!, the last money I exchanged through one of you guys was done at interbank rate not parallel rate. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by wolfenstein(m): 7:58am On Oct 20, 2016
Immacula8:
Banks said this was not possible because the lenders had been sourcing dollars at rates above N400 per dollar to run their card services. We could not get dollars from the interbank market.

Hard core lies!!, the last money I exchanged through one of you guys was done at interbank rate not parallel rate. angry angry angry
E go shock una say d way dollars plenty for 9ja no b small.
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by blaise00700(m): 7:58am On Oct 20, 2016
lancehayat:
Your dream shall become real if you had stole government funds.

Government fund keh? me wa still dey find work. grin
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 20, 2016
ladyF:
Bloody thieves!!! Nigerian banks are part of our enemies of progress. They charge you N450/$ on a naira Mastercard when shopping online. But try withdrawing locally with a USD card and you'll be withdrawing at CBN dollar-to-naira rates. Who are they deceiving. Let them stop it. The days of awoof profit is over for them. Hope they enjoyed it while it lasted. Awon ole! angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

Get a travelex master card n u will be fine to use it online
Re: Why Banks Suspended Payment Card Use Abroad by ladyF(f): 8:04am On Oct 20, 2016
danjumakolo:

Get a travelex master card n u will be fine to use it online

How do I get it please?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FOREX : Dealers Unable To Pick $100m Offered By CBN / Adaora Umeoji Emerges Anambra Woman Of The Year / 3 Popular Profitable Online Businesses You Can Start In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.