Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience (23084 Views)

Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) / A Nairalander Shares Overnight Camping At Lufasi Park Lekki / A Nairalander Shares Overnight Beach Camping Experience At Enukunmi Eleko Beach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2016
I was invited by my friend @travelgeniuz to accompany him and a group of tourists to tour the beautiful town of Badagry.

A brief history; Badagry is a coastal town and local government area in Lagos State. It was a major slave port during the slavery era. It is situated between the city of Lagos and the border with Benin at Seme.

Enough of history, now to the tour; the team set out for Badagry from Oshodi at 8:50am. The journey was an exciting one; everyone got to introduce themselves and talk about what they do. The journey was smooth and gridlock free. We got to Badagry less than 2hrs 30minutes.

Our first stop on this historical tour was the Mobee Slave Relics Museum; where we were shown various chains, pictures, few paintings, tools used in piercing the body parts of the slaves,some other things and an in-depth lesson on slave history in badagry.

From here we moved on to The Badagry Heritage Museum. Here was majorly filled with writings, pictures, sculptors and a few other art works, depicting and telling the story of the slave trade era.

We had a short stop at the first storey building In Nigeria and then the first place Christianity was preached in Nigeria.

Next was on to the famous Badagry beach. Before we could get to the beach though, we had to cross a large lake by boat. This was quite exciting as the thought that I could not actually swim crossed my mind; although we all had life jackets on.

After successfully making it to the other side of the lake, the only structure there was a small wooden souvenir shop selling locally made artifacts; most made out of coconuts. We were able to patronize the shop and buy a few things. Then there was a large expanse of land lying fallow. This I believe could be used either as a resort, a recreational centre, a park or even a zoo.

In the middle of these vast hectares of land is a “well” called the well of forgetfulness. It is said that any slave who drinks of the water forgets about the life he is leaving behind.

After this, was the point of no return. Legend has it that on getting to this point, no slave ever goes back or escapes. It is on to their new master’s country from here.

We all struggled and made our way to the beach where everyone sprang back to life on sighting the water and seeing nature in all its splendor and beauty. It was indeed a lovely time at the beach

Main Points
-Badagry should at this point be a tourism haven where tourists, families, adventurers can come and relax.
-The beach and the surrounding areas should be worked upon and upgraded to attain international standards.
-The Government should do more in improving the aesthetic appeal of Badagry.
-The Government should look into improving infrastructural facilities and amenities in Badagry.
-Kudos to the Lagos state government for the road network to Badagry; atleast from Oshodi to Badagry was a smooth ride.

After a lovely time at the beach, we made our way back to our tour bus, had lunch, played some games and headed back to Oshodi, back to the hustling and bustling of Lagos.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 11:23pm On Oct 22, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tobillionaire(m): 11:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
Wher d water of forgetfulness

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by semasir: 12:11am On Oct 23, 2016
That's my Badagry for you..... You can as well share your experience via www.badagryforum.com.ng

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by truthalways(m): 6:51am On Oct 23, 2016
Wow...lovely pictures and experience

Really love tourism

lalasticlala come and see shumtin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by imbefool(m): 10:10am On Oct 23, 2016
Tourism is life...according to Nigeria's motto

Nice one op

Cc lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by bayocanny: 4:56pm On Oct 23, 2016
Abeg, which one be "ORIGINAL SLAVE ROUTE" grin
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by MrCounselor: 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Realone92(m): 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Nice isedale babawa

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Dcaliphate(m): 5:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Op, I know one miss anambra staying in badagry, let me call her to confirm if all this is true or all photoshop, u know how powerful photoshop is nowadays... angry
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by kayo80(m): 5:01pm On Oct 23, 2016
OP, how is the beach? How much do you have to pay to enter the beach, and are there touts there?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Olusharp(m): 5:01pm On Oct 23, 2016
I was there early this year..
op did you visit the well whose water doesn't change? did you visit Samuel Ajayi's room and the first teacher in Nigeria room? it is a place to be..quite funful apart from dangers of being deceived by the sea cos if you are not a good swimmer don't try going near the sea cos it would deceive you to come closer before you know it you are gone..

** government wouldn't open their eyes to monetize that place...lailai them no go think am..

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by saintdennis(m): 5:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
OP too bad u didn't visit "whispering palms" visited it almost 15 years ago & i'm plotting to visit again next year to relive the experience.

I wonder if primary schools still take their pupils on excursions like they did back in d day.

Badagry is filled with so much history it's amazing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Seuncoded(f): 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
semasir:
That's my Badagry for you..... You can as well share your experience via www.badagryforum.com.ng

Thanks

How va Guy
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Thisis2raw(m): 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
Your next tour should be Nkpor Rumuorlumeni, Port Harcourt Rivers State.

You will like it

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by ezechueze(m): 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
OK
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Highestbee(m): 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
#Lagos State

#Badagry

#Highestbee

#OCTOBER 28

In Advance Bro Ggmu
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Danielnino00(m): 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
Nice one OP...the Lagos state government and indeed the federal government should try and develop Badagry.. the town is quite unlike other areas in Lagos...

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by ednut1(m): 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
U no go seriki abass barracoon
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
Would love to visit someday, never been there
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by crazygod(m): 5:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
saintdennis:
OP too bad u didn't visit "whispering palms" visited it almost 15 years ago & i'm plotting to visit again next year to relive the experience.

I wonder if primary schools still take their pupils on excursions like they did back in d day.

Badagry is filled with so much history it's amazing.
Whispering palms is another exotic tourist ville on its own. Its like a paradise there. But hotel accommodation is too freaking expensive there

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by hahn(m): 5:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
More Nigerians should visit there and learn how god sat back and watched our ancestors get enslaved, tortured and killed by christian businessmen undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by nduprincekc(m): 5:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
cool oo i must say

just imagine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRy1yZ55uc4
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by oochi123(f): 5:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
So miss that town.I miss adonyo,de colured turkey,fried cocoyam,fried crab n prawn. Will visit bdg soon.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by HRich(m): 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ok
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
semasir:

Thanks
The Forum looks exactly like Nairaland
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by daremiarchs(m): 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2016
That's true shocked
JIXZ:

The Forum looks exactly like Nairaland
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Originalsly: 5:24pm On Oct 23, 2016
Olusharp:
I was there early this year..
op did you visit the well whose water doesn't change? .
Post pictures of it if you have. And is this the same 'Well of Forgetfulness? '...tell us some more.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by nikkypearl(f): 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
I'm bored!!!! embarassed
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Originalsly: 5:29pm On Oct 23, 2016
Danielnino00:
Nice one OP...the Lagos state government and indeed the federal government should try and develop Badagry.. the town is quite unlike other areas in Lagos...

True... look what Ghana has done for their Badagry.... an international tourist site where tourists come flocking all year round.... and ours not even used to teach our children about our history.... about understanding that not all Blacks abroad got there thru Visas.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by kherlly(m): 5:32pm On Oct 23, 2016
so badagry is this fun??

Lemme go call my friend bukola to get ready coz am visitin there soon so she can take me around.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Return Of Parked Trucks On Bridges In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Anambra Int'l Airport: FG Makes U-Turn On The Planned Commissioning / Accident Kills Many In Kano (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.