Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Our Role In Salvaging Yoruba Languge - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Our Role In Salvaging Yoruba Languge (517 Views)

Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / Key Role Of Ife’s Igbo/Ugbo Chiefs In The Crowning Of Great Ooni Of Ife / What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Role In Salvaging Yoruba Languge by Mc4larin: 7:54am On Oct 26, 2016
I was at home yesterday and I heard a noise emanating from my neighbour's room, I discovered it was baba rasheed beating his son again for speaking in yoruba language. This is the same man who just change the school of his son to a new school because they taught yoruba. The son now attends a school where they teach more of English Language and forbid their students from speaking and writing in Yoruba language.

Today, 40% of most children from Yoruba homes cannot speak their indigenous dialect fluently, while the remaining 60% cannot even read and write in our mother tongue. To make matters worse, the few that can speak and write in Yoruba language are now classified with derogative words like unbrilliant, unbred, uncivilized, illiterate, etc.

In consequence, Yoruba children nowadays are no longer comfortable speaking their indigenous dialect publicly, as many of them even regard it as vernacular and this dilemma are all in the name of civilization, urbanization and modernization.

The above scenario that occur in my neighbour room also exist in most Yoruba home across the world. Our parents and guardians are now the agent of westernization, they prefer to communicate with their children in English language and indirectly encourage them to embrace western values, culture, traditions, etc at the detriment of our own indigenous cultural system.

_Good morning_

1 Like

Re: Our Role In Salvaging Yoruba Languge by YourNemesis: 11:51am On Oct 26, 2016
Mc4larin:
I was at home yesterday and I heard a noise emanating from my neighbour's room, I discovered it was baba rasheed beating his son again for speaking in yoruba language. This is the same man who just change the school of his son to a new school because they taught yoruba. The son now attends a school where they teach more of English Language and forbid their students from speaking and writing in Yoruba language.

Today, 40% of most children from Yoruba homes cannot speak their indigenous dialect fluently, while the remaining 60% cannot even read and write in our mother tongue. To make matters worse, the few that can speak and write in Yoruba language are now classified with derogative words like unbrilliant, unbred, uncivilized, illiterate, etc.

In consequence, Yoruba children nowadays are no longer comfortable speaking their indigenous dialect publicly, as many of them even regard it as vernacular and this dilemma are all in the name of civilization, urbanization and modernization.

The above scenario that occur in my neighbour room also exist in most Yoruba home across the world. Our parents and guardians are now the agent of westernization, they prefer to communicate with their children in English language and indirectly encourage them to embrace western values, culture, traditions, etc at the detriment of our own indigenous cultural system.

_Good morning_

Uuuuuuuuhnnnn?
If you had said 20% maybe it woud have been more believable... but even that would still be a bit over the top.
more like 15%, and Mostly In Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

What Does YOUR Nigerian Name Mean? / Sufyan Entertainment / Nigeria's Sultan Of Sokoto Rejects Gender Equality Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.