Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview (10657 Views)

Workforce Phone Interview / Top 10 Simple Tips On Successfully Having A Phone Interview / Who Else Had A Phone Interview With Productivepeople.org? (2) (3) (4)

Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2016
We hope you find it useful. Knowledge is power.

It is no longer news that employers are increasingly conducting phone interviews and sometimes Skype interviews in other to reduce the number of candidates they invite over for face-to-face interviews.

Sometimes they do this so as to reduce the cost of conducting interviews for a large pool of candidates as well as to reduce productive time on interviewing candidates that may eventually not be suitable for the job.

Sometimes, its because the interviewer is not available yet want to move forward with the recruitment process.

Some of the reasons for using phone interviews is usually to ascertain the following:

1) How confident the candidate is.
2) Your diction and English language prowess.
3) Your suitability and interest.
4) Your confidence level.
5) The way you conduct your manners over the phone.
6) The qualifications they have in your name.
7) How smart or apt you are to respond to calls unawares.

From that HR call that is simply asking "if you would be available for an interview" to the more complicated ones where the content of our answers are screened or where how we sound is scrutinized, HR personnel could determine if you would be invited over to the organization.

When too many people who are qualified for the same job applies, phone interviews are usually employed to determine how you would probably fit into the job. The following tips will help you:

1) Never sound bored, tired or yawn on the phone. In other to avoid this, once you receive a call from a HR official, simply ask the person to allow you move to a more cool and quiet area. This would work wherever you are and will give you the little time you need to get yourself together. Cut out all distractions.

2) Ensure that you are prepared if you are expecting the call or sometimes when you see a strange number. It helps when you show courtesy to every or anyone who call you.

3) Sound confident on the phone. I read somewhere that you could do as if you are a speaker on a stage and you are much more engaged with your audience. To build your confidence on the spot, act it, breathe and speak calmly and gently.

It is also believed that you standing is the best way to pull this through. Have materials in front of you (bullet points) that would aid your responses. So its important that you research any company you have applied to and have the information readily available.

4) Always say things like you mean it. When you mean something, it can be perceived. Employers are interested in candidates that know what they know and are confident about it.

5) This last step is the only one thing that is universal and it is the power of a smile. The power of a simple smile is irresistible.
This will help you feel relaxed and help you sound confident. Smiles can be heard even when you are not seen so sound excited, healthy and interested.

6) Take it as seriously like you would have a face to face interviews.

7) Listen and dont dominate the conversation. This is an interview which means they’re going to be asking you questions, but it’s also an opportunity to show your potential employer that you’re good at listening too. A good listener who can make a great conversation.

Add to this material to help others or ask questions.

Source: www.HRtechnique.com

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by oluhyohmih(m): 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2016
Nice one @op
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nony43(m): 6:57am On Oct 31, 2016
N
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by francis247(m): 6:58am On Oct 31, 2016
Nice
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by francis247(m): 6:58am On Oct 31, 2016
dp
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Benjom(m): 7:00am On Oct 31, 2016
Good effort OP. This article I wrote www.nairaland.com/3035622/tips-boost-interview-performance will also be of immense help to those who may be preparing for interviews soon.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by mjames: 7:02am On Oct 31, 2016
Just be calm and talk like you are talking to your friend. Confidence is the key here
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Ekakamba: 7:05am On Oct 31, 2016
Nice. grin
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Fantastic2m(m): 7:05am On Oct 31, 2016
Ok nice points
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Perfect6(m): 7:14am On Oct 31, 2016
Good to know; but what if u are a stammerer

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by shrewd1(m): 7:16am On Oct 31, 2016
nice
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by abmarine(m): 7:16am On Oct 31, 2016
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Inanx(m): 7:17am On Oct 31, 2016
Cool...
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by DWJOBScom(m): 7:17am On Oct 31, 2016
quite true
have conducted phone interviews and one of the things that puts me off is the unwillingness of the candidates to speak or the fully observed fears displayed by the candidates.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by sylvar02(m): 7:18am On Oct 31, 2016
Night one op

interview for real

I mean in Nigeria right now

btw

[size=20pt]E kú rècéssìon èní ooo grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by sakalisis(m): 7:29am On Oct 31, 2016
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 31, 2016
Me like itgringringrin
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 7:46am On Oct 31, 2016
mem88:
Me like itgringringrin

Glad you found it useful.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 7:48am On Oct 31, 2016
Perfect6:
Good to know; but what if u are a stammerer

If you are then politely tell the caller to be patient with you because you stammer. A good HR personnel would be willing.
He or she would also ask valid and straight to the point questions in other to get quick questions and not embarrass you further.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Seun4FastLoans(f): 7:51am On Oct 31, 2016
Wao! You made me remember how I did my present employment interview. Telephone /Skype interview is so cool. I studied so hard about the company like I was preparing for an exam. Fortunately, when I was called I had all the materials right in front of me.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Generalkorex(m): 8:09am On Oct 31, 2016
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 31, 2016
noted
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by ItsawrapOutfit: 8:47am On Oct 31, 2016
Spot on.

And also ensure the environment is not noisy like Oshodi Market grin
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by VcStunner(m): 10:01am On Oct 31, 2016
I've had the worst of phone interviews.
Was it not last 2 weeks Wednesday at exactly 17:35 that I got a call from a strange MTN number that started with 0803... something told me it's gotta be them. So instead of 2 cups I told the man to grind 3cups of egusi that this call may take long o. Yes I was in the middle of a busy market! Naso I jus find one corner enter, before u know it na "tell us about your self" Naim I hear. I no fit shout. Dem sef no tell me say dem go call me for interview.. which kain country be dis!
As I begin yarn naim the babe wey get the corner fall out come dey gimme voice o, say make I commot for her domot. But I still compote well dey answer ma call. One heavy voice for back come tell me make I arrange well say soon dem go call me come office.

I still dey wait them sha... if this week near to pass I go flash tha number wella.

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
nmreports:

Glad you found it useful

Find the interview stages, questions and recruitment process for the Department of Petroleum Resources, Stanbic and First bank recruitment

Stanbic:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/10/stanbic-ibtc-recruitment-what-you.html?m=1

First Bank:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/10/first-bank-2016-recruitment-what-you.html?m=1

Department of petroleum recruitment:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/10/interview-questions-and-application.html?m=1

thaaaaanks for ur concern. that DPR i have tried it like several times till not going thruuuuuu!
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by mayorchelsea(m): 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2016
I had a phone interview less than a week ago.The call came in from productivepeople and they promised to get back to me,it was sudden and unexpected.It shows how the real you being caught unawares would act,your confidence,what you know and your interests compared to a face to face interview that allows you prepare well.
Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
mayorchelsea:
I had a phone interview less than a week ago.The call came in from productivepeople and they promised to get back to me,it was sudden and unexpected.It shows how the real you being caught unawares would act,your confidence,what you know and your interests compared to a face to face interview that allows you prepare well.

What lesson can you share with us from your experience?.
We are supposed to learn from our experiences and be better. I think that is the most important thing.
That we do not make the same mistake twice.

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 2:14pm On Oct 31, 2016
VcStunner:
I've had the worst of phone interviews.
Was it not last 2 weeks Wednesday at exactly 17:35 that I got a call from a strange MTN number that started with 0803... something told me it's gotta be them. So instead of 2 cups I told the man to grind 3cups of egusi that this call may take long o. Yes I was in the middle of a busy market! Naso I jus find one corner enter, before u know it na "tell us about your self" Naim I hear. I no fit shout. Dem sef no tell me say dem go call me for interview.. which kain country be dis!
As I begin yarn naim the babe wey get the corner fall out come dey gimme voice o, say make I commot for her domot. But I still compote well dey answer ma call. One heavy voice for back come tell me make I arrange well say soon dem go call me come office.

I still dey wait them sha... if this week near to pass I go flash tha number wella.

We are supposed to learn from our experiences and be better. I think that is the most important thing.
Right?.

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by nmreports: 2:15pm On Oct 31, 2016
mem88:

thaaaaanks for ur concern. that DPR i have tried it like several times till not going thruuuuuu!

Did you mean the DPR website itself is not connecting?.
If thats what you meant then yes that has been a major issue for lots of applicants.

I suggest you try applying very early in the morning or late at night. Just keep trying.
Remember to use a very fast internet and preferably use your system. Dont give up.

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by VcStunner(m): 2:30pm On Oct 31, 2016
nmreports:

Right?.
truth is I wasn't totally caught unawares, the only thing is that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just closed from work and went to market. Bottom line is; be prepared all the time, as my colleague normally tell me, he said why are u always talking to your self and demonstrating, nigger didn't know I was rehearsing!! I simply told him that I was expecting an interview soon.
Secondly, if u aren't a good actor u may not do well in a phone interview. Like the post said, you can smile in a phone interview and the other person will feel it from ur next words. I was almost nervous then I remembered I needed d job. The moment I brazened up the main boss stepped in and got more interested. He literally asked d rest of the questions.
Finally, use good dictions, and don't ever think it's a goddamn casual call Cuz I was tempted to laugh at some point but I managed a chuckle. When I realized I messed up, I just changed my diction, voice and grammar..... I got everyone around d table interested.

Re: Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview by mayorchelsea(m): 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2016
nmreports:

A phone interview requires you to be able to think on your feet.I was asked some questions that I had to provide answers to on the spot.I was asked about my career goal,you know how hard that can be because I needed to make it align with what the calling firm does to show we are on same page.Had to come up with something quickly to prove that.Also,you need to be confident and interactive,since you aren't seeing the interview, it could be an advantage also as no meanings would be read into your body language.I hope this is helpful.

Cadbury Recruitment Process 2013 (Management Trainee) / N-power Tax: Rivers State Ctlos Protest Nonpayment Since Inception, Blame Govt / Who Else Got This Message From Insourcing