Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

How To Know What Facebook Knows About You - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Know What Facebook Knows About You (833 Views)

Do You Know What The White Or Black Stripes On Your Earpiece Jack do ? / Cambridge Analytica : Here's How To Find Out Everything Facebook Knows About You / Who Knows About Techno Al86 I Cant Find The 3g Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know What Facebook Knows About You by tunisbaba(m): 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2016
I am liking the way the Internet giants now allow us to have a sniff of what they really think of us. A couple of months ago, I published an article on how to know what google knows about you. In the article, I showed how you can retrieve all data Google has collected about your on line behaviour and how to manage the collected data.

Now, it’s time to look into Facebook’s “mind” and know what it thinks of you.

To do this, we will be exploring a feature called Facebook Adpreference. So fasten your seat belt as I take you through the journey of knowing what Facebook thinks of you.

Using Facebook Adpreference To Know What Facebook Thinks of You

In my exploration of Facebook adpreference, I discovered that Facebook web version loads the page ceaselessly. For this reason, I recommend using a phone to access the page; better still you can open Facebook mobile on Google Chrome or Opera browser for PC.

In this tutorial, I used Chrome browser and the steps are as follow:

Steps To Checking Adpreference

* Open [url]m.facebook.com[/url], and click on the three horizontal lines towards the top right hand.

* After clicking the lines, scroll down to Account Settings and click on it.

* Under Account Settings, click on Ads to open Ads Settings.

* Under the four options in the Ad settings, click on Manage the preference we use to show you ads.

* After clicking on it, click on Visit Ad Preferences.

* On opening the Ad Preferences, Facebook will present you what it thinks of your most valued interests. These are displayed in tiles with the name Top interests.

In my case, it is association football (i.e. club football) and of course this is 100% correct. I am passionate about football, a stalwart FC Barcelona fan–a tiki-taka lover.

To dig deep inside Facebook’s mind, click on More.

On clicking on More, you will see the categories in which your interests are organized into.

* Click each interest category to see what Facebook thinks of you in each category.

To know what Facebook thinks of your behavior and character, I recommend you spend time with hobbies and activities category, and most importantly, with the lifestyle and culture category. You will be amazed at how Facebook’s algorithm has analyzed your behaviours on Facebook and turn it into weapon for serving you the kind of ads you see in your account.

Under my hobbies and activities category, I saw things like global warming, biodiversity, Ecotourism and other environmental related issue. I was marveled to see those areas of expertise—and of course, I care about environmental sustainability.

On checking the lifestyle and culture category, what I saw was very surprising. Even though I set political view in my profile to indifferent, Facebook believes I love politics and have interest in the two big parties in Nigeria. The names of the two popular parties in Nigeria are listed in my lifestyle and culture category.

If you see the name of only party, it means you a passionate supporter of that party. In my case, Facebook believes I love the two parties equally. And I have begun to think I really love the two. grin My indifferent has matured to impartial.

Removing Ad Preference

If you see something under any category and you want to remove it, all you need to do is to click on the particular category, then scroll to the interest. Click on the three dots beside the interest and click on remove.

Knowing what Facebook thinks of you is as simple as that; if you think Facebook is wrong about you, follow the steps above to remove the particular interest.

In all, don’t forget that the main purpose of ad preference is for Facebook to better serve relevant Ads.

Source: http://howtotechnaija.com/how-to-know-what-facebook-thinks-of-you/
Re: How To Know What Facebook Knows About You by Aiholi(m): 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2016
Noted, Thanks.
Re: How To Know What Facebook Knows About You by tunisbaba(m): 3:45pm On Nov 05, 2016
Aiholi:
Noted, Thanks.
You are welcome bro
Re: How To Know What Facebook Knows About You by Dandsome: 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2016
You really try how did you discover this
Re: How To Know What Facebook Knows About You by tunisbaba(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2016
Dandsome:
You really try how did you discover this
It is nothing much bro. Research and following trend.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Can I Get A Quality Power Bank / Is There Anyone Want To Sell Android Phone For N6,000 ? / How To Install Ios On Any Android Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.