Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,519 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? (3890 Views)

Xiaomi Phones With Outrageous Price Tags On Jumia / Should You Buy Xiaomi Phones...? / Gionee Phones Vs Xiaomi Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
I definitely don't seem to understand the secret behind the price that xiaomi are selling their phones. With Tecno devices, it's a bit understandable, maybe lower quality hardwares. But I've been kinda studying my friends' phones (iPhone 6s,xiaomi mi5 plus, and galaxy s6 edge+), and I ain't seeing much of a difference, both in speed, battery life, camera, and other specs. A friend once told me that they use lower quality hardwares (e.g mediatek vs snapdragon) but mehn... even mi5 is sporting a snapdragon 820.
Now check out

LG G5..........220K
NEXUS 6P....258k
S6 edge....... 218k
Mi 5.............. 125k

Does it mean that xiaomi ain't into d game of profits, or is there anything else under the mat, Cos those phones offer almost the same thing

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by henryobinna(m): 4:58pm On Nov 02, 2016
it's a Chinese brand and low price is there selling point.

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Dam5reey(m): 5:41pm On Nov 02, 2016
Yeah, That is their selling point for now...
They Dominate alliexpress for Note 3 pro topping sales chart,

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2016
Have you check the price of Mi5s Plus?

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 02, 2016
Benstino:
I definitely don't seem to understand the secret behind the price that xiaomi are selling their phones. With Tecno devices, it's a bit understandable, maybe lower quality hardwares. But I've been kinda studying my friends' phones (iPhone 6s,xiaomi mi5 plus, and galaxy s6 edge+), and I ain't seeing much of a difference, both in speed, battery life, camera, and other specs. A friend once told me that they use lower quality hardwares (e.g mediatek vs snapdragon) but mehn... even mi5 is sporting a snapdragon 820.
Now check out

LG G5..........220K
NEXUS 6P....258k
S6 edge....... 218k
Mi 5.............. 125k

Does it mean that xiaomi ain't into d game of profits, or is there anything else under the mat, Cos those phones offer almost the same thing
The reason is that most customers are price sensitive and so xiaomi being a product trying to compete wouldn't sell at higher prices more than it's competitors.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by jmichlins(m): 9:06pm On Nov 02, 2016
they spend very little money on adverts. Samsung once advertised their flagship product then on the notice board of an international airport. They sell with the barest profit

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 02, 2016
fados4sure:
Have you check the price of Mi5s Plus?

Ya. Checked it.
With those killing specs, it should have been above 300k

4/6 gig ram
64/128 gig storage
Snapdragon 821 with Adreno 530 653MHz
Fingerprint
3800 mAh battery with quick charge.
13 mp DUAL camera

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 02, 2016
Probably lack of phone security. In these days where privacy is a major concern there's a huge possibility the phone manufacturers sell your data to other companies for random reasons. It makes sense. Facebook sells every user information to monitoring agencies hence can acquire funds needed to expand and maintain their social network.
I don't trust Chinese brands because they're well known for taking ethical shortcuts in favour of profit.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 02, 2016
charix:
Probably lack of phone security. In these days where privacy is a major concern there's a huge possibility the phone manufacturers sell your data to other companies for random reasons. It makes sense. Facebook sells every user information to monitoring agencies hence can acquire funds needed to expand and maintain their social network.
I don't trust Chinese brands because they're well known for taking ethical shortcuts in favour of profit.

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
Benstino:
A counter argument would have driven home a point.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Youngpo413: 4:36am On Nov 03, 2016
Trojan horse.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Opistorincos(m): 6:29am On Nov 03, 2016
cool
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Dam5reey(m): 6:33am On Nov 03, 2016
charix:

Go Xiaomi thread and ask about security before you start writing what you don't know...

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 03, 2016
Dam5reey:

Go Xiaomi thread and ask about security before you start writing what you don't know...
"Probably": almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

This however I vouch on with full certainty. Time and time again Chinese companies have caught media attention for unethical practices.
My closing remark is, if truly they sell consumer information, would they make it public? It took a very long time for facebook to finally admit they indulged in it.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by 40manlappy: 9:22am On Nov 03, 2016
charix:

I understand lower prices but security?

@Gptech, GrandMufti, NgcoboP, Kulimart, 2kurupt, vosquare, Nsonaso, Iheanyi4u, ibawon, others, what do you have to say to this?
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by vosquare: 9:34am On Nov 03, 2016
40manlappy:

@Gptech, GrandMufti, NgcoboP, Kulimart, 2kurupt, vosquare, Nsonaso, Iheanyi4u, ibawon, others, what do you have to say to this?
Bro, I was actually surprised too.. Security is one of the best feature in xiaomi.. It beats other Chinese counterparts and some very good flagship devices

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by vosquare: 9:36am On Nov 03, 2016
charix:
Have u ever used xiaomi before?.. If not just don't say anything about it at all... And if u have used,d phone security is wack?
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Gptech(m): 9:53am On Nov 03, 2016
charix:

"Probably": almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

This however I vouch on with full certainty. Time and time again Chinese companies have caught media attention for unethical practices.
My closing remark is, if truly they sell consumer information, would they make it public? It took a very long time for facebook to finally admit they indulged in it.
But you are still assuming, and generalization is a wrong way of arguing. Xiaomi has arguably one of the best security in Android world, you can check to confirm. About selling of data, you even mentioned Facebook, I can even add Yahoo to the list, but funny thing is they are American companies. If you want to go into conspiracy theories then its better to trust the Chinese more than the Americans grin

7 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 03, 2016
Benstino:

Ya. Checked it. With those killing specs, it should have been above 300k
4/6 gig ram 64/128 gig storage Snapdragon 821 with Adreno 530 653MHz Fingerprint 3800 mAh battery with quick charge. 13 mp DUAL camera
Oga is #230k for 128GB cheap?
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by iheanyi4u(m): 10:12am On Nov 03, 2016
40manlappy:

LOL the guy has obviously never used a xiaomi phone. The day I knew xiaomi security was the best was the day I mistakenly freezed my Xiaomi account app. The phone refused to go past the enter miui Id screen, I had to reflash another rom and confirm my Id. So security wise xiaomi is up therre with their counterparts

Now about the phones been so cheap, I think its not so expensive to make mobile phones, if u check how much it cost to make an iphone against how much it is been sold you'd know that all those expensive phones are over priced

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 03, 2016
fados4sure:

Oga is #230k for 128GB cheap?

My brother......... those are almost (if not better) the specs of Google Pixel and LG V20 that sells above 300k each.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Gptech(m): 10:55am On Nov 03, 2016
iheanyi4u:

Now about the phones been so cheap, I think its not so expensive to make mobile phones, if u check how much it cost to make an iphone against how much it is been sold you'd know that all those expensive phones are over priced
Though those big oems overprice their phones, note they also have huge physical presence thus the higher price. If they sell same price as xiaomi the losses they will encounter will be huge! Xiaomi knows well about these hence they sell majorly online to cut costs incurred by third parties.

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2016
Benstino:

My brother......... those are almost (if not better) the specs of Google Pixel and LG V20 that sells above 300k each.
LG V20 is pre-installed with Android 7.0
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 03, 2016
fados4sure:

LG V20 is pre-installed with Android 7.0

Mi5s Plus is among the mobiles to receive Android 7.0.
Doesn't make any difference
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by francis247(m): 4:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
Benstino:

Ya. Checked it.
With those killing specs, it should have been above 300k

4/6 gig ram
64/128 gig storage
Snapdragon 821 with Adreno 530 653MHz
Fingerprint
3800 mAh battery with quick charge.
13 mp DUAL camera
Don't know about you op but the ones I know don't support OTA updates and they run on MIUI8 OS based on Android 6.0.1. They cost between $400 and $450 or more (64GB &128GB versions respectively) which is about 160k t0 180k. So I think the difference is not much
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by 2kurupt(m): 7:34pm On Nov 03, 2016
40manlappy:

Xiaomi is called the Apple of China for a reason.
Mi account was created not just to sync your contacts & messages, it's security features is embedded into the hardware therefore flashing a new rom still won't break it. Xiaomi is definitely up there with the big boys

6 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Gptech(m): 9:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
francis247:
Don't know about you op but the ones I know don't support OTA updates and they run on MIUI8 OS based on Android 6.0.1. They cost between $400 and $450 or more (64GB &128GB versions respectively) which is about 160k t0 180k. So I think the difference is not much
Please what do you mean by not support OTA updates? Hope its not what am thinking?
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by francis247(m): 10:31pm On Nov 03, 2016
Gptech:

Please what do you mean by not support OTA updates? Hope its not what am thinking?
Yes o. It’s what you're thinking. Couldn't belive it myself. That’s what kept me away from the phone. You can check Aliexpress and confirm for yourself.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Gptech(m): 10:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
francis247:
Yes o. It’s what you're thinking. Couldn't belive it myself. That’s what kept me away from the phone. You can check Aliexpress and confirm for yourself.
Can you post a link? If it doesn't support OTA update then its the rom. If you flash to roms that support OTA then you are good
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by PAQ(m): 11:28pm On Nov 03, 2016
Xiaomi is definitely a good brand with solid specs. But just like every other good Chinese phone brands; Huawei, Lenovo etc they are mostly dont or are very slow with Updating their software (OTA). Dont be surprised to know dat those that will ship with Android 7.0 will die with it, if ever yhey will be updated it will be miles after the top brands. Many of these Chinese phones are not developer friendly, go to xda, and their threads are lack developers support.

In the US, most carriers dont offer them, if you want one uou have to buy it outrightly not through their contracts and no one buys a 700 dollar phone if its not on a contract.

Their phones are cheap for a reason, Phone manufacturers pay google for their updates, pay for adverts, which these Chinese brands avoid to keep costs down. Most of them use the cheaper MTK processors rather than the more expensive snapdragon, although it doesnt mean cheaper is not better but they lack developers. Its just like comparing a sony TV to an LG TV, the price of Sony maybe almost double but LG is still good.

To make a Chinese phone will cost almost thesame in making a Samsung or iphone but if u put the price on thesame level, no one will buy it. Only in Nigeria, we dish out 300k to buy a phone. Abroad if its not on a contract then forget it.
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by adewasco2k(m): 11:48pm On Nov 03, 2016
francis247:

I upgraded my xiaomi online, no issue at all
Re: Xiaomi Phones- Why The Cheap Price Tag? by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 04, 2016
francis247:

All right. At least you said "the ones u know"

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Fix Android On-screen Flickering / Guys Please Where Can I Get A Burner Phone? / Exchange Your Old Phones To New One Legally.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.