Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . (3622 Views)

Another Bombshell From Dr. David Oyedepo / Pastor Chris Denounces The Divinity Of Jesus Christ / Happy Happy Birthday To Bishop, Dr. David O, Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2009
davidylan:

Which is why you cant point to a single one of them in the last 2 days? You started this thread, why have you fled like the ignorant coward you truly are?

David, you are delivering a Master-class in Escapism! For Christ's sake, i quoted 12 verses for you in which the explicit and clear suggestion was made within the Bible that Jesus was not and is not, God. You are yet to address them!

David, I opened a thread for Noetic some time ago, asking him to explain why he thought only Christians would be "saved". Although he did not convince me, please visit that thread and see what a thorough, exhaustive, painstaking job he did in presenting his position, analysing the bible, and defending every article of his faith thereon.

See the link here - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-336988.0.html

I charge you to STOP the escapism and address ALL my verses. This thread was opened for you to educate me on the meaning of those verses, and it hardly helps if rather than do that, you simply bring your own verses and demand that I explain them (which I did not shy away from doing, by the way!).

This is a strange approach, because I am not the Christian here, you are. So why are you giving me verses to explain? You should please explain the verses I quoted and stop the somersaults.

Here we go again:
If Jesus were God, why would he stop a man from calling him good, insisting - no - "only God is Good?" Did Jesus ("God"wink become less good by dint of being upon the earth?

Did the import of 1 Tim. 2:5 miss you when it states that “there is ONLY ONE GOD, and one mediator between God and men, the MAN Jesus Christ.”

What do you understand by the word “mediator”? Can you realistically claim that a mediator is the same person as one of the entities he is acting as a go-between for? You know that is frankly absurd.

Can you tell me if Jesus is equal to the Father. If he is, can you educate me on what he could possibly have meant when he stated : “The Father is greater than I” (John 14:28). You earlier answer, you well know, was the height of escapism, asking me to go read the whole chapter. . . which I have done anyway.

Most importantly, can you shed light on Jesus’ repeated references to “his God.” He clearly showed himself to be worshipping God, even praying to God on several occasions. Could God pray to God? Does this make sense to you David?

[b]The most spectacular of all his prayers, for me, is the statement in Gethsemane – “Nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt”

This statement shows something cardinal: if Jesus were God, as you lot like to claim, his will, and the will of the Father would be absolutely inseparable! This prayer shows clearly that the Father’s will could be different from Jesus’ will, when he says – “not as I will, but as thou wilt”. For me this is the most damning verse against the idea that Jesus is himself God. Because it shows a clear dichotomy of WILL between the father and the so called “son.” But I expect that in your usual fashion you will disregard Jesus’ own words in favour of your dogma.

In defending this, don’t you even dare bring up the lame line that it was his “human fear” that was speaking. Even mere mortals have shown great courage at the point of execution, or in battle, and you want to convince me that ALMIGHTY GOD, in human form, was not capable of stout hearted courage (especially when he was divine, and knew the purpose of his mission on the cross, and how sacred it was).[/b] Mere men have laid down their lives for their countries, happily and without asking for the cup to be removed from them. Gallantly! Now GOD himself, in human form, is not capable of such courage, to save his creatures?

Face it David: your dogma is more precious to you than the words of Jesus himself, who you call saviour and “God”!

Finally it is most pertinent to note that Jesus showed what sort of relationship he had with God when he says – “I am ascending to your father and my father, my God and your God”. [John 20:17]

This makes it pretty clear that in the same way as God is father for us, he is Father for Jesus, and that in the same way as God is God for us, he is God for Jesus.

No wonder 1 Pet. 1:3 – “Praise be to the God and father of our lord Jesus Christ!”

NOW STOP THE CIRCUS ANTICS, FACE THE VERSES ONE AT A TIME LIKE A MAN, AND DEAL WITH THEM SQUARELY.

Otherwise, I will be forced to call in the more competent Noetic to address this thread.

Now finally, juxtapose your so called verses against these verses of mine, and tell me the skeptic is not justified in seeing contradictions (even though i have shown you your verses are mistranslations and mis-interpretations).
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by KunleOshob(m): 12:50pm On Nov 02, 2009
No escape for david in this one  grin

Takes front sit and waits for david's incisive and detailed response to the above
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2009
Where is DAVID? Is the last post too much to deal with?

Hurry David, or i will invite the more competent and thorough Noetic to deal with these questions.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by PastorAIO: 8:39pm On Nov 02, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen . . . .

Davidhoudini has left the building!
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2009
my popcorn will soon finish oh
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by viaro: 10:02pm On Nov 02, 2009
^^^how fast were you grubbing the pack? undecided
Can't you buy another bucket of popsy-corns? grin
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 11:04pm On Nov 02, 2009
NOETIC! - Noel, noel, noooeeel, born is the King of Isssrraaaaeel. . .

I hereby invite you to help address the last post as David your comrade in arms has RUN AWAY, finding no answers thereto.

I appreciate your analytical style in the thread i opened for you (even though i did not agree with you) and i believe that that style will better address this thread than David's escapism.

Please help. . .

[*singing*] "Noel. . . Noel. . . born is the king of isssraaeeell. . ."
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by noetic15(m): 11:17pm On Nov 02, 2009
David will address ur concerns as soon as he can.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 11:25pm On Nov 02, 2009
^^^ Please now, please. . . help DAVID, he is clearly having an existential and dogmatic crisis now . . . be christian. . . help him. . .
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by noetic15(m): 2:15am On Nov 03, 2009
David response is well appreciated for its audacity. . . I would like to approach the debate from another point of view.

1. we need to have an appreciative understanding of the subject matter. the subject here is God. our understanding of God is simply distinct and for the sake of clarity I would like to define God for the purpose of this thread.
Who is God? God is
a. the maker of heaven and earth as recorded in the bible.
b. the God of the patriarchs . . . .Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
c. The one whom the prophets including Jeremiah, Isaiah, David, Nehimiah, Moses et all worshipped.
d. The one who appeared to moses in the burning bush, gave israelites a great deliverance and led them to the promised land.
e. The one who gave 613 commandments to the children of Israel through moses
f. The I am that I am, Ancient of Days, Rose of Sharon, Prince of peace, Rock of Ages, Lion of the tribe of Judea, Ressurection and Life, covenant keeping God, Light of the world, King of Kings, first and last, alpha and omega, first born of the dead, the way truth and life . . . . . . .
g.  The inspiration behind the gospel.

Given the above definitions. ,   is Jesus God. . . . .YES . . . . why? how?

understanding the ontological divinity of Jesus requires more than the alienation or extraction of a bible verse to suit a preconceived dogma. It involves the contextual impart and relevance of the message that describes the ontology of Jesus. My point is, u CANNOT single out one or two verses and then attempt to use them as a literal basis for supporting ur position. The divinity of Jesus is best viewed from the contextual point of view i.e examining the direct and indirect implications of the pronouncements of Jesus.
To illustrate the ontological divinity of God that supports His God ship, I will proffer analysis emphasising the nature of the Holy Spirit and subsequently Jesus and also the import of the OT.

1. The bible (Genesis 1) talks about Elohim making the heaven and earth. Elohim signifies plurality, indicating the presence of more than one being at the point of creation.
The bible starts by stating in its first verse that "in the beginning, ELOHIM created heaven and earth". The bible does not tell us how heaven was created, but I can deduce from this verse that both the heavens and the earth were created at a point in time called the "beginning". This implies that heaven did NOT precede the earth.
The implication of this verse is that there were beings (as described in human language) at the point of creation. This is because Elohim is a plural word. Since the heaven was not created at that point, who were the beings that were present at the point of creation? the bible answers this question itself.
In verse 2 the bible states that "the spirit of God was moving over the formless nature of the earth". who is the spirit of God? is He a person? or a being? . .  . The bible also provides answers. in john 1:12 . . . The bible calls this spirit the power of God given to believers at the point of salvation. The bible also calls those that are led by this spirit the sons of God (romans 8:14).
The implication of the above verses is that at the point of creation, one of the beings present called the holy spirit was not a person or a being but the POWER of God, The holy spirit is simply the POWER of God. what then is God without His power? what makes God, God without His power?
The bible proceeds further at the point of making man. . . .there was a conversation between the plural "beings" present . ,   . .one told the others to let us make man in our own image, the bible does not record any response from the others.

My submission on this events in Genesis one is that Jesus was part of the beings present, but just as we understand that the holy spirit (who was also present ) is not a being, person or figure but the power of God. . .this thread intends to unravel the personality of Jesus.
bear in mind that Jesus boldly asserts that He precedes the point in time called "beginning" (rev 22:13)

2. In john 8:58 Jesus said that "before Abraham was, I am". This statement is subject to several interpretations, but the reaction of the listeners is NOT subject to several interpretations. They picked up stones to stone Him to death. They accused Him of blasphemy.
The implication of this verse is that Jesus BOLDLY asserted to whoever cared to listen that He was/is GOD.

3. From two above one can state that Jesus appeared to the moses in the burning bush and was the one who confidently asserted that He was I AM that I AM.
in 1 corinthians 10:1-12 The bible offers cogent analysis into the ontological divinity of Jesus. the following are deductible from 1 corth 10:1-12
a.  Jesus followed the israelites from Egypt to the promised land (verse 4)
b. Jesus was the rock that was struck by moses which produced water (verse 4)
c. when the children of israel mumurred against God and tempted Him. . . . they were tempting Jesus (verse 9)

4. In john 3:13 implies that unlike any primordial being (including prophets) no man had gone into/outside heaven except for Himself who descended from it.

The implication of the above (3 and 4) is that Jesus preceded the earth, the patriarchs, prophets and all those we know of. it also implies that Jesus preceded the heavens and the earth (rev 22:13).

. . . . .brb
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 9:17am On Nov 03, 2009
Thanks Noetic, i am still listening, but please do take some time out to address the verses i pointed out. Note that contrary to what you said, they are not "just one or two"  verses but more than 12! When we have that many clear references within scripture to Jesus not being God, then surely there is an issue to be discussed that goes beyond "twisting" the scripture, which David has accused me of.

Still listening. . .

I will also address your points. . .

Cheers.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by noetic15(m): 10:45am On Nov 03, 2009
Deep Sight:

Thanks Noetic, i am still listening, but please do take some time out to address the verses i pointed out. Note that contrary to what you said, they are not "just one or two"  verses but more than 12! When we have that many clear references within scripture to Jesus not being God, then surely there is an issue to be discussed that goes beyond "twisting" the scripture, which David has accused me of.

Still listening. . .

I will also address your points. . .

Cheers.

I will address ur verses. . . , my previous post is an attempt to lay a foundation for my points. . , this is what my next post will also be aimed at. it is in my subsequent post that i will address ur verses.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by slimfit4(m): 12:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
noetic15:

1. The bible (Genesis 1) talks about Elohim making the heaven and earth. Elohim signifies plurality, indicating the presence of more than one being at the point of creation.
The bible starts by stating in its first verse that "in the beginning, ELOHIM created heaven and earth". The bible does not tell us how heaven was created, but I can deduce from this verse that both the heavens and the earth were created at a point in time called the "beginning". This implies that heaven did NOT precede the earth.
The implication of this verse is that there were beings (as described in human language) at the point of creation. This is because Elohim is a plural word. Since the heaven was not created at that point, who were the beings that were present at the point of creation? the bible answers this question itself.
In verse 2 the bible states that "the spirit of God was moving over the formless nature of the earth". who is the spirit of God? is He a person? or a being? . .  . The bible also provides answers. in john 1:12 . . . The bible calls this spirit the power of God given to believers at the point of salvation. The bible also calls those that are led by this spirit the sons of God (romans 8:14).
The implication of the above verses is that at the point of creation, one of the beings present called the holy spirit was not a person or a being but the POWER of God, The holy spirit is simply the POWER of God. what then is God without His power? what makes God, God without His power?
The bible proceeds further at the point of making man. . . .there was a conversation between the plural "beings" present . ,   . .one told the others to let us make man in our own image, the bible does not record any response from the others.

My submission on this events in Genesis one is that Jesus was part of the beings present, but just as we understand that the holy spirit (who was also present ) is not a being, person or figure but the power of God. . .this thread intends to unravel the personality of Jesus.
bear in mind that Jesus boldly asserts that He precedes the point in time called "beginning" (rev 22:13)

2. In john 8:58 Jesus said that "before Abraham was, I am". This statement is subject to several interpretations, but the reaction of the listeners is NOT subject to several interpretations. They picked up stones to stone Him to death. They accused Him of blasphemy.
The implication of this verse is that Jesus BOLDLY asserted to whoever cared to listen that He was/is GOD.

3. From two above one can state that Jesus appeared to the moses in the burning bush and was the one who confidently asserted that He was I AM that I AM.
in 1 corinthians 10:1-12 The bible offers cogent analysis into the ontological divinity of Jesus. the following are deductible from 1 corth 10:1-12
a.  Jesus followed the israelites from Egypt to the promised land (verse 4)
b. Jesus was the rock that was struck by moses which produced water (verse 4)
c. when the children of israel mumurred against God and tempted Him. . . . they were tempting Jesus (verse 9)

4. In john 3:13 implies that unlike any primordial being (including prophets) no man had gone into/outside heaven except for Himself who descended from it.

The implication of the above (3 and 4) is that Jesus preceded the earth, the patriarchs, prophets and all those we know of. it also implies that Jesus preceded the heavens and the earth (rev 22:13).

. . . . .brb

Since you deduced those stuff above now makes me wonder if this can be true or has some elements of truth in it check this
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/genesis/

Peace.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by noetic15(m): 3:50pm On Nov 03, 2009
contd . . . . .

5. The bible states clearly in John 1:3 that Jesus is the creator.

6. The prophetic word that preceded the birth of Jesus calls Him the mighty God (isaiah 9:6)

it is in lieu of these that I will address ur verses.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 3:52pm On Nov 03, 2009
Very well, i standly patiently waiting.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 9:53am On Nov 04, 2009
Deep Sight:

David, you are delivering a Master-class in Escapism! For Christ's sake, i quoted 12 verses for you in which the explicit and clear suggestion was made within the Bible that Jesus was not and is not, God. You are yet to address them!

David, I opened a thread for Noetic some time ago, asking him to explain why he thought only Christians would be "saved". Although he did not convince me, please visit that thread and see what a thorough, exhaustive, painstaking job he did in presenting his position, analysing the bible, and defending every article of his faith thereon.

See the link here - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-336988.0.html

I charge you to STOP the escapism and address ALL my verses. This thread was opened for you to educate me on the meaning of those verses, and it hardly helps if rather than do that, you simply bring your own verses and demand that I explain them (which I did not shy away from doing, by the way!).

This is a strange approach, because I am not the Christian here, you are. So why are you giving me verses to explain? You should please explain the verses I quoted and stop the somersaults.

Here we go again:
If Jesus were God, why would he stop a man from calling him good, insisting - no - "only God is Good?" Did Jesus ("God"wink become less good by dint of being upon the earth?

Did the import of 1 Tim. 2:5 miss you when it states that “there is ONLY ONE GOD, and one mediator between God and men, the MAN Jesus Christ.”

What do you understand by the word “mediator”? Can you realistically claim that a mediator is the same person as one of the entities he is acting as a go-between for? You know that is frankly absurd.

Can you tell me if Jesus is equal to the Father. If he is, can you educate me on what he could possibly have meant when he stated : “The Father is greater than I” (John 14:28). You earlier answer, you well know, was the height of escapism, asking me to go read the whole chapter. . . which I have done anyway.

Most importantly, can you shed light on Jesus’ repeated references to “his God.” He clearly showed himself to be worshipping God, even praying to God on several occasions. Could God pray to God? Does this make sense to you David?

[b]The most spectacular of all his prayers, for me, is the statement in Gethsemane – “Nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt”

This statement shows something cardinal: if Jesus were God, as you lot like to claim, his will, and the will of the Father would be absolutely inseparable! This prayer shows clearly that the Father’s will could be different from Jesus’ will, when he says – “not as I will, but as thou wilt”. For me this is the most damning verse against the idea that Jesus is himself God. Because it shows a clear dichotomy of WILL between the father and the so called “son.” But I expect that in your usual fashion you will disregard Jesus’ own words in favour of your dogma.

In defending this, don’t you even dare bring up the lame line that it was his “human fear” that was speaking. Even mere mortals have shown great courage at the point of execution, or in battle, and you want to convince me that ALMIGHTY GOD, in human form, was not capable of stout hearted courage (especially when he was divine, and knew the purpose of his mission on the cross, and how sacred it was).[/b] Mere men have laid down their lives for their countries, happily and without asking for the cup to be removed from them. Gallantly! Now GOD himself, in human form, is not capable of such courage, to save his creatures?

Face it David: your dogma is more precious to you than the words of Jesus himself, who you call saviour and “God”!

Finally it is most pertinent to note that Jesus showed what sort of relationship he had with God when he says – “I am ascending to your father and my father, my God and your God”. [John 20:17]

This makes it pretty clear that in the same way as God is father for us, he is Father for Jesus, and that in the same way as God is God for us, he is God for Jesus.

No wonder 1 Pet. 1:3 – “Praise be to the God and father of our lord Jesus Christ!”

NOW STOP THE CIRCUS ANTICS, FACE THE VERSES ONE AT A TIME LIKE A MAN, AND DEAL WITH THEM SQUARELY.

Otherwise, I will be forced to call in the more competent Noetic to address this thread.

Now finally, juxtapose your so called verses against these verses of mine, and tell me the skeptic is not justified in seeing contradictions (even though i have shown you your verses are mistranslations and mis-interpretations).

[size=20pt]David, this is an embarrasment: you have taken to your heels, unable to address this post? [/size]
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Nezan(m): 3:37pm On Nov 04, 2009
@ Deepsight;
From your posts, you questioned basically two things, i.e.
1. Jesus’ position as a messiah in regards to His divinity,
2. His reasons for praying to God if He were God.

I will try to follow this argument from these two basic positions:

1. Messiahship and divinity:

"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

WHAT IS A MEDIATOR? Simply put, a mediator is a go-between. A mediator acts as a bridge between two parties which for whatever reason cannot have direct dealings with one another. The Bible verse quoted above clearly asserts that Jesus is the mediator between God and men. God and man cannot have direct dealings with one another. Jesus Christ is the go-between. He is the bridge between God and men.

The argument:
If Jesus were only a man and not God, could He be a fit mediator between God and men? to be more specific, let me ask you another question. Since Christ is the only mediator between God and men, what attribute must He possess in order to perform that task?
Well, definitely He needs to have God’s attribute of all- knowingness and everywhere-presence or He would not be able to attend to all those who would call upon God through Him. Can you imagine how many people all around the world call upon God through Him every minute? Thousands - if not millions! Now, if Jesus were only a man and not also God, how could He ever attend to all? Impossible!
Now, If Jesus were only God and not also a man, could He be a fit mediator between God and man?
This is why the Holy Spirit, through the Apostle, emphasizes the humanity of Christ. He wrote, "For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." Now, is the Holy Spirit saying that Jesus is only a man and that He is not God? Of course not. Then why does the Holy Spirit emphasize the humanity of Jesus? Well, because if Jesus is only God and not also a man, He could not be a fit mediator between God and men.
This is the teaching of Heb. 2:17,18. We read, " Therefore, He [Jesus] had to be made like His brethren in all things, that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted." Again in Heb. 4:14-16, we read, "Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who have been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."

2. God praying to God?

This is a very common question and the answer is found in understanding the Trinity and the incarnation of Jesus.
The Trinity is the doctrine that there is only one God in all existence. This one God exists as three persons: The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are not three gods, but one God. Each is a separate person, yet each of them is, in essence, divine in nature.
A close analogy of the Trinity can be found by looking at the concept of time. Time is past, present, and future. There are three "aspects" or "parts" of time. This does not mean that there are three "times," but only one. Each is separate, in a sense, yet each shares the same nature, or essence. In a similar way, the Trinity is three separate persons who share the same nature.

The Incarnation:
The doctrine of the incarnation in Christian teaching is that Jesus, who is the second person of the Trinity, added to himself human nature and became a man.
The Bible says that Jesus is God in flesh, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, and the word became flesh and dwelt among us," (John 1:1, 14); and, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form," (Col. 2:9). Jesus, therefore, has two natures. He is both God and man.
Jesus is completely human, but He also has a divine nature.

DIVINE NATURE OF JESUS:
He is worshiped (Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; 28:9)
He is prayed to (Acts 7:59; 1 Cor. 1:2)
He was called God (John 20:28; Heb. 1:cool
He was called Son of God (Mark 1:1)
He is sinless (1 Pet. 2:22; Heb. 4:15)
He knew all things (John 21:17)
He gives eternal life (John 20:28)
The fullness of deity dwells in Him (Col. 2:9)

JESUS HUMAN NATURE
He worshiped the Father (John 17)
He prayed to the Father (John 17:1)
He was called man (Mark 15:39; John 19:5).
He was called Son of Man (John 19:35-37)
He was tempted (Matt. 4:1)
He grew in wisdom (Luke 2:52)
He died (Rom. 5:cool
He has a body of flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)

As a man, Jesus needed to pray. When He was praying he was not praying to Himself, but to God the Father.

So Deepsight, the fact is in understanding that Jesus have a Divine nature as well as a human nature. The verses you quoted were the ones referring to his human nature, whereas you blatantly refuse to acknowledge the biblical verses that referred to his divine nature.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by noetic15(m): 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2009

1. The man was astounded. “Worship me. . .?” he muttered, his brows furrowed in deep confusion. . . “But I told them to worship only God. . . I told them not to call me good. . . I told them only God is good. . .[Mark 10:18].

2. Silent, Gabriel regarded the scene below. The worship of the sons of men drifted upwards in various brightly coloured threads and coiled around the spirit of Jesus of Nazereth, holding  him fast in limbo, as his delicate soul was not made for worship. . .

3. The man shook his head and tried to clear his memory.
“I told them” he insisted. “I said it several times. I told them through Paul that there is only one God, and that I was only a mediator [1Timothy 2:5].

4. I told them the Father is much greater than I am [John 14:28].

5. I told them not to hold on to me, because I too have a God, I told them clearly that I worship God, and that I would ascend to my GOD [John 20:17].

6. I told them to know God only, and that God merely sent me [John 17:3].

7. Why on earth would they call me God, when I said all these things!??”

8. Restless, but immovable, he continued his thoughts – “Did I not tell tem clearly that I do not know all things, and that only the Father knows all things [Mark 13:32]?

9. Did Cephas not write that I have a God and Father who I worship [1st Peter 1:3].

10. Did Luke not tell them that I was only a mere man accredited by God [Acts 2:22]

Gabriel remained silent by his side. He seemed helpless and dejected. “They also hold on to your death as their salvation.” He whispered mournfully.

11. “I can’t believe this” the man said. “Did they not record that I prayed to God to avert the cross? Surely they know my prayers in Gethsemane” [Luke 22:42]

“It seems they misunderstood everything” Gabriel offered.

12. “But how could they?” The man was still perplexed. They heard me complain about their plans to kill me simply because of the words God sent me to give them [John 8:40].

13. They heard me ask on the stake that God forgive their act of Killing me [Luke 23.34].

14. They heard me tell the parable of the Vineyard also. That parable should have made it clear!” [Mathew 21: 33-46].

1. To gasp the messages of Christ in the verses above one must identify the pattern of His choice of MESSAGE/WORDS and AUDIENCE.
My point is that, Christ made certain pronouncements to the general populace, often in parables or few words with more meaning. He however simplified or gave the naked TRUTH to his choice disciples. It is important to understand this simple fact before analysing each of the verses above.
Instances that support this assertion are
a. in luke 9:18-2* Jesus asked his disciples "who the people say he is". The point is that Jesus knew the people had a different opinion of Him, but He never corrected their opinion nor revealed His true identity to them. It was peter who gave the identity of Jesus that was subsequently established/confirmed by Jesus Himself.

b. in mathew 13:3-33 Jesus told parables to the people. . . . it was not until verse 36, when all the multitude had left and his disciples asked Him that He then gave explicit meaning of the parables.

From A and B above, one can deduce that Jesus spoke in parables to the multitude (they formed a meaning from this parables). The meaning formed from these teachings is NOT the naked truth in comparison to the analysis proffered by Jesus exclusively to His disciples.

now looking at your verses.

1. Mark 10:18
In the above verse Christ was addressing a random member of the multitude who came to ask a question. I say this because in mark 8:27-30 Jesus addressed another audience. This time the audience was the chosen few, who were privileged to be His disciples. He revealed His true identity to them here. The only time Jesus ever publicly revealed His true identity to a multitude, He was almost stoned to death John 8:58.
So when Jesus said in the above verse that only God is Good. . . . I believe that from my primordial post where I defined who God is. . . . .u now know who the God, Jesus was refering to is.

2. 1 timothy 2:5
your assertion with regards to this verse is best described as ignorance (no pun intended).
let us read what was said in verse 3 of the same chapter "For this good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour"
Paul calls God our saviour . . . . . . . Jesus died on the cross and resurrected,  . , He is as such the basis of SALVATION, He is the SAVIOUR.
So when Paul talks of a God, who offers salvation. . .he is refering to the saviour. . . .we all know who that is.

in analysing verse 5. . . Jesus is called a mediator. This is interesting.
I will use the holy spirit analogy in my primordial post to describe Jesus. remember I said that the holy spirit is the manifestation of God's power as evidenced at the point of creation and in the affairs of men. the holy spirit is not a person or spirit neither is he a being. . . . but is the direct manifestation of God's power and influence.
So when a person has the gifts of the spirit or manifests the fruits of the spirit, he is simply manifesting the God-like nature of a spirit filled God. God is a spirit and the Holy spirit is a manifestation of His power. The same applies to Jesus. If u read the bible, all of the ontological attributes of God belong to Jesus, this simply implies that Jesus is simply the physical manifestation of God, just like the holy spirit is the manifestation of God's power. . that explicably illustrates the divinity of Jesus. The bible attests to this in Acts 4:12. . . .refering to a salvation bearing name and 1 timothy2:3 calls the bearer of that salvation name GOD.

3. John 14:28

This verse has been cited by several people to assert that Jesus is not God or that He is inferior to God. My response has usually been that "Is God definite to be absent from heaven when present on earth" ?,  . . . ,

. .  . . . .more analysis to follow brb
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 04, 2009
Deep Sight:

[size=20pt]David, this is an embarrasment: you have taken to your heels, unable to address this post? [/size]

I just have to laugh. grin grin grin
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Marlbron: 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2009
in analysing verse 5. . . Jesus is called a mediator. This is interesting.
I will use the holy spirit analogy in my primordial post to describe Jesus. remember I said that the holy spirit is the manifestation of God's power as evidenced at the point of creation and in the affairs of men. the holy spirit is not a person or spirit neither is he a being. . . . but is the direct manifestation of God's power and influence.
So when a person has the gifts of the spirit or manifests the fruits of the spirit, he is simply manifesting the God-like nature of a spirit filled God. God is a spirit and the Holy spirit is a manifestation of His power. The same applies to Jesus. If u read the bible, all of the ontological attributes of God belong to Jesus, this simply implies that Jesus is simply the physical manifestation of God, just like the holy spirit is the manifestation of God's power. . that explicably illustrates the divinity of Jesus. The bible attests to this in Acts 4:12. . . .refering to a salvation bearing name and 1 timothy2:3 calls the bearer of that salvation name GOD.

Noetic,

You have analysed very well, but there is an error- see the highlited.

Read about the Holy spirit from John 14 to John 16. The gift of the holy spirit is a manifestation of the power of God and it is not the same as the Holy Spirit. Let me give an analogy: You Noetic for instance, can give Nairaland members gifts but you have not given us yourself. Let us also recall what happened during Christs baptism- the holy spirit descended like a dove. If that happened how can we say the holy spirit cannot manifest? The power of the holy spirit was what Christ promised in Acts and delivered to the disciples at the Pentecost.

Lets be clear, The Godhead is made of 3 personalities: Father, Word and Spirit and they agree or they are one. I think you chew too much when you a mere man declares that the most important of the 3 cannot manifest, when the least has manifested (Jesus Christ).

Father +Word+Spirit = God

Father = God, Word = God, Spirit = God.

Strange equation, but true.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Marlbron: 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
Holy Spirit = Father, but

Holy Spirit > Word

I rest my case.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by viaro: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
@Marlbron,

There are a few things you've said that delighted me; but there are others that I'd have to disagree with:

Marlbron:

I think the bold is a deeply flawed assertion that contradict what the Bible teaches. I contend that the Holy Spirit is a Person and the Power of God, being God Himself in the Trinity. My understanding is informed by the fact that the Holy Spirit is revealed in Scripture as having attributes of a divine Person -

* He speaks - Acts 8:29; 10:19; 11:12 and 13:2

* He forbids certain course of actions - Acts 16:6-7

* He guides - John 16:13

* He can be lied to - Acts 5:3

A 'power' in such abstract terms as you supposed does not 'speak' to people; and the Holy Spirit directly spoke to and still speaks to people to demonstrate His attribute as a divine Person.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by PastorAIO: 12:41pm On Nov 05, 2009
The word persons means something totally different today from what it meant when the trinity doctrines were articulated. The actually greek word was Hypostasia which sometimes means substance (in the philosophical sense) and sometimes not. ie. that which stands under. Subs - under , stance - standing. Then at some point a difference was articulated between hypostasia and Ousia. Ousia means essence. The essence of God would be his Ousia which was differentiated from his three hypostases.

In other words hypostases came not mean, not what was beneath the surface, but rather what was manifest. In latin it is called a prosopon. A portrayal, or a manifestation or an expression. So we have one essence that can be expressed in 3 different ways.
Ecumenical Councils

It was mainly under the influence of the Cappadocian Fathers that the terminology was clarified and standardized, so that the formula "Three Hypostases in one Ousia" came to be everywhere accepted as an epitome of the orthodox doctrine of the Holy Trinity. This consensus, however, was not achieved without some confusion at first in the minds of Western theologians, who had translated hypo-stasis as "sub-stantia" (substance, and see also Consubstantial) and understood the Eastern Christians, when speaking of three "Hypostases" in the Godhead, to mean three "Substances," i.e. they suspected them of Tritheism. But, from the middle of the fourth century onwards the word came to be contrasted with ousia and used to mean "individual reality," especially in the Trinitarian and Christological contexts. With regard to the doctrine of the Trinity, hypostasis is usually understood with a meaning akin to the Greek word prosopon, which is translated into Latin as persona and then into English as person. The Christian view of the Trinity is often described as a view of one God existing in three distinct hypostases/personae/persons. It should be noted that the Latin "persona" is not the same as the English "person" but is a broader term that includes the meaning of the English "persona."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypostasis_(religion)
Nestorius’ doctrines (in Nestorius (bishop of Constantinople): Nestorianism.)
What Nestorius actually taught was a prosopic union. The Greek term prosōpon means the external, undivided presentation, or manifestation, of an individual that can be extended by means of other things—e.g., a painter includes his brush within his own prosōpon. So the Son of God used manhood for his,
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/479436/prosopon
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by PastorAIO: 12:49pm On Nov 05, 2009
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Marlbron: 1:09pm On Nov 05, 2009
Olabowale,

Can you open a new thread on the topic of the Godhead, tell us your understanding and let me come in with mine? Gracias. Perhaps we can invite
Pastor AIO, Deepsite, Noetic?
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Marlbron: 1:20pm On Nov 05, 2009
Viaro,

I was only quoting Noetic and as you see, we share the same view on the Holy Spirit. Perhaps we can deal with this issue of the Godhead on a new thread, because I think the muslims have a perception which is easily accomodated.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by Marlbron: 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
Viaro,

I recomment reading John 14 till John 16, to understand fully about the Holy Spirit. The power of the holy spirit is limitless. The power was what Christ bestowed on the apostles. We get these things comfused, hence my equations above.

christ confessed that he was the least in the trinity, and he warned against blaspheming against the holy spirit, because the holy spirit is actually God the Father
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by ttalks(m): 2:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
Romans 8:9
9. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

2Co 3:17
(17) Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Lord's Spirit is, there is freedom.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by viaro: 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2009
Marlbron:

Viaro,

I was only quoting Noetic and as you see, we share the same view on the Holy Spirit.

My bad, sorry - I should have realised. However, I still do not agree with the sentiments statement about what the Holy Spirit is, according to your view.

Perhaps we can deal with this issue of the Godhead on a new thread, because I think the muslims have a perception which is easily accomodated.

No, muslims do not have any perception that could be accommodated in discussing what they have forever ridiculed. That is why I won't bother joining the discussions in that proposed thread, as I don't want to join issues shouting angrily at anyone. If the thread is going to be opened for Christians to discuss that matter, I would most certainly join in and share my views amicably.

Edit:

Marlbron:

Viaro,

I recomment reading John 14 till John 16, to understand fully about the Holy Spirit. The power of the holy spirit is limitless. The power was what Christ bestowed on the apostles. We get these things comfused, hence my equations above.

That's fine. Although I've read those chapters so many times, I shall humbly comply with your recommendations to read them again.

christ confessed that he was the least in the trinity, and he warned against blaspheming against the holy spirit, because the holy spirit is actually God the Father

I don't see where Christ ever confessed any such things or tried to make the Spirit to be actually God the Father. Nope, that is not what the Bible teaches.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by DeepSight(m): 3:11pm On Nov 05, 2009
Let me demonstrate the inanities that dogmas like the Trinity lead grown adults to indulge in:

Listen to this fellow:

Marlbron:

Lets be clear, The Godhead is made of 3 personalities: Father, Word and Spirit and they agree or they are one. I think you chew too much when you a mere man declares that the most important of the 3 cannot manifest, when the least has manifested (Jesus Christ).

Above he stated that Jesus is the "least" in the Trinity.

Then:, one second later he states -

Marlbron:

Father = God, Word = God, Spirit = God.

Strange equation, but true.

Thus declaring that they are all equal, happily contradicting himself.

And also happily contradicting the words of Jesus himself, who stated that the Father is greater than him (Jn 14:28).

I hope you can all see what a joke this doctrine is. It astonishes me that educated adults will subscribe to a foreign myth such as this which is by far more outlandish and laughable than the yoruba creation myth.

Let me remind you lot that there have been triads of gods and goddesses in pagan religions in Egypt, Persia, and many other places for thousands of years and these ideas infiltrated christianity.

Let me also remind you lot that it is cardinal attribute of cults to attempt to deify their founders, or ascribe divinity to their leaders.

Sorry guys, i have to step into the loo, i think i'm gonna throw up.

Disgusting!
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by viaro: 3:37pm On Nov 05, 2009
Deep Sight, howdy?

Deep Sight:

It astonishes me that educated adults will subscribe to a foreign myth such as this which is by far more outlandish and laughable than the yoruba creation myth.

I have problems - serious problems - with people who make such kinds of remarks. I may not know a dot about Yoruba creation legends - even so, I can respect people whose cultures and outlook on life are different from mine. Asserting that they are outlandish and laughable probably puts the asserter in very poor light, especially because he makes such assertions ignorantly as an outsider that knows absolutely nothing about such cultures and is not even willing to know!

Yes, I am an educated adult - and I subscribe to a worldview that did not originate from my culture. But who says that anyone has to adopt only those views that are local to them anyway? If anyone - including you - cannot understand why educated people can believe in 'God' differently from the way you mold a concept of your own 'god', then what would they make of your own 'singularity' that repeatedly cheats common sense and science, and yet remains as [b]v[/b]ague, [b]v[/b]alueless, [b]v[/b]acantly assertive, [b]v[/b]agrantly constructed, [b]v[/b]ariegated, [b]v[/b]ociferous, and frequently [b]v[/b]olte-face?? Your outlandish remark about 'yoruba'  is an insensate attack on the Yoruba people - and that needs no telling to an adult, let alone an educated one!

You may not believe in the views of other people as regards God; but you should be cautious in the way you charge blindly at them for their beliefs especially when your own assertive constructs for your 'God' is unrecognizable. What is even more laughable is the way you try to take a swipe at others when you have never had a good grasp of your own deification of a non-existent "singularity". Please Deep Sight, I did not expect you to lower yourself to that level, and I hope with fingers crossed that a change of attitude would be on the horizon.
Re: Dr. David Sheds Some Light. . . Golgotha And Divinity. . . by PastorAIO: 3:40pm On Nov 05, 2009
The real difficulty with terms like 3 personalities is that that is not what was meant at all when the doctrine was formulated. A Prosopon is not a personality, but an expression of an essence. It's like I have 3 different masks. I can put one on or the other but it is still me.

A better analogy would be, I have 3 suits. One for work, one for dinner parties, and one for chilling out with my friends. It's still me in all the suits. Please, you guys need to find out what an hypostases and what a prosopon is .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Kumuyi Clocks 72 / Check Out Pastor Chris Okotie’s Exotic Cars Worth Millions Of Naira! / Today is The Solemnnity Of Christ The King (Corpus Christi)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.