Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:31 AM

Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa (31450 Views)

Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins At Abuja Hospital,speaker Dogara Pay The Bill(p / Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins In Yola After Hours Of Surgery. Photos / Kenyan Doctors Remove 7 Needles In 3-Year-Old Girl’s Stomach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Cletus77(m): 9:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
AngelAhnie:
Nice one
Nigerians didn't see this coming cheesy grin cheesy grin
MEANING?? We dey drag position with Kenyans? Everyone knows their place.,
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Cletus77(m): 9:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
Positiveminds:
KENYA IS BETTER THAN NIGERIA IS EVERY SPHERE , TRUE OR FALSE? LIKE IF TRUE, SHARE IF FALSE. THIS IS A POOL!
No need to argue with you, everyone knows their place
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Cletus77(m): 9:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
talktonase:
Mr cletus abi CL1T0ris or whatever your name is. What part of your body are you using to ask me to shut up?
No vex, if the shut up burn you!
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by ogsa: 11:40pm On Nov 03, 2016
First conjoint twin separation took place at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile Ife, Nigeria few years ago.
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Nobody: 3:23am On Nov 04, 2016
Obafemi Awolowo university teaching hospital complex did this in the past,the outcome was superb.check your fact well.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Kenyanstar: 6:44am On Nov 04, 2016
Banee:
Obafemi Awolowo university teaching hospital complex did this in the past,the outcome was superb.check your fact well.

Which part of "East Africa and sub-saharan Africa" is hard to digest? Maybe you just chose to assume that part, it isnt a competition anyway.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Hbuyosh(m): 10:25am On Nov 04, 2016
Litmus:
Would be great if African, unfortunately many of Kenya's noteworthy developments have Asians and Arabs at the root.
Are not there Asians and Arabs in Nigeria to cause these "noteworthy developments" that u pipo always attribute to them in the other African countries? Africa will not be able to progress with this sort of attitude. Just quite it.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by MtuMsuper: 12:00pm On Nov 04, 2016
Bifwoli:

That commenter won't be as quick to tell the world how Lagos' biggest development ,the Eko Atalntic City, is the brainchild and money of Asians of Lebanese extraction.

The Chagoury Brothers are behind the biggest urban renewal of Lagos.
The average 9ja response to anything called progress in an african nation is "oyibo oyibo has done it". Experience has taught me that.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Litmus: 6:10pm On Nov 04, 2016
Bifwoli:

I bet a $1m bucks that you wouldn't say the same about Eko Atlantic project in Lagos.

That project is the brainchild and effort of Asian brothers of Lebanese descent.

Truth is, there are Nigerian experts capable of all the infrastructural developments going on at Eko Atlantic except maybe for the dredging and ocean protection walls. And i am even on record for advocating that Nigeria hand over any meaningful developments projects intended for Niger Delta to foreigners -some of whom have the most imaginative ideas for future urban development. It is not that Nigerians are not capable but because Nigerians right now politically and ethnically don't trust themselves and because, frankly there are better abroad. I am not one for self deceit or lies. We live now in a world where expertise can be viewed in modular terms. The British employed the former Canadian economist and finance minister for Governor of the bank of England. Nigeria could conceivably do the same because of the neutrality this would provide but not because we don't have financial experts.

Kenya on the other hand simply does not possess the in dept native expertise that Nigeria has, please let us not deceive ourselves. Nigerians exits that are capable of building echo Atlantic except for the wall and dredging. It's just that Nigerians would not trust them to (grin). And we have the wealthy Native people to fund equivalent projects if they so wish. Lebanese are welcomed but not necessary. Nigeria has the Native (meaning black people)doctors capable of any surgery any native Kenyan is capable of and also those their Indians and Arabs are capable of too. I so happen to like Kenyans, Ugandans and Ethiopians but the truth is Kenya relies heavily on Indians and Arabs. The difference is that Nigeria can do without Lebanese and Indians, we have the black expertise in almost every field.

I haven't bothered to look, but if i do, i bet there would be Indians and Arabs lurking behind those Software developments in Kenya of which they are so incessantly verbal. Nigerians on the other hand, in the next decade, will be equal to the best the world has to offer.
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by MtuMsuper: 7:16am On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

Truth is, there are Nigerian experts capable of all the infrastructural developments going on at Eko Atlantic except maybe for the dredging and ocean protection walls. And i am even on record for advocating that Nigeria hand over any meaningful developments projects intended for Niger Delta to foreigners -some of whom have the most imaginative ideas for future urban development. It is not that Nigerians are not capable but because Nigerians right now politically and ethnically don't trust themselves and because, frankly there are better abroad. I am not one for self deceit or lies. We live now in a world where expertise can be viewed in modular terms. The British employed the former Canadian economist and finance minister for Governor of the bank of England. Nigeria could conceivably do the same because of the neutrality this would provide but not because we don't have financial experts.

Kenya on the other hand simply does not possess the in dept native expertise that Nigeria has, please let us not deceive ourselves. Nigerians exits that are capable of building echo Atlantic except for the wall and dredging. It's just that Nigerians would not trust them to (grin). And we have the wealthy Native people to fund equivalent projects if they so wish. Lebanese are welcomed but not necessary. Nigeria has the Native (meaning black people)doctors capable of any surgery any native Kenyan is capable of and also those their Indians and Arabs are capable of too. I so happen to like Kenyans, Ugandans and Ethiopians but the truth is Kenya relies heavily on Indians and Arabs. The difference is that Nigeria can do without Lebanese and Indians, we have the black expertise in almost every field.

I haven't bothered to look, but if i do, i bet there would be Indians and Arabs lurking behind those Software developments in Kenya of which they are so incessantly verbal. Nigerians on the other hand, in the next decade, will be equal to the best the world has to offer.
Everything you have written is CRAP! Why bother to even respond. One day you shall wake up and discover there is an Africa beyond your LGA, and you shall be a very depressed man indeed.
Btw kenyans have "eaten book" properly, expertise exists in every field of human endeavour, it's not uncommon to find unemployed masters and phd holders. So STFU

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Kenyanstar: 9:11am On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

I dont know what illegal substance that you are using boy!!!
Anyway just to enlighten you an African proverb says "A boy who has never gone beyond his fathers farm will always believe theirs is the biggest"...... Those "indians or Arabs" you are suggesting are Kenyan born, raised and go through the same curriculum as other "native" Kenyans. An arab family with ancestors living in current day Kenya since their migration in the 16th century are found in Lamu island, Mombasa city, Malindi town, Watamu etc or the indians in Nairobi, Eldoret town, Kisumu city & Mombasa are descendants of 1800s of first indian settlers have integrated with the natives and intermarried. Kenya has one of most diverse ethnic groups in the world which consists of Nilotes, Bantus, Cushites, Arabs, Asians and semites. Most of the Indians or Arabs are bi-lingual speaking several native languages including the national language Kiswahili. In leadership we have both Indian and Arab elected leaders from different areas where they are not even a majority.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Hbuyosh(m): 12:53pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

This argument of yours is discordant as it is nonsensical. I cannot really believe all the trash u have written here, and u really regard yourself well educated? SMH

First u say:
Truth is, there are Nigerian experts capable of all the infrastructural developments going on at Eko Atlantic except maybe for the dredging and ocean protection walls
Then u proceed to make this other rather puzzling statement:
It is not that Nigerians are not capable but because Nigerians right now politically and ethnically don't trust themselves........
......Like seriously??
U have exposed your own lack of faith in the capabilities of the local expertise in your following statement....
nd i am even on record for advocating that Nigeria hand over any meaningful developments projects intended for Niger Delta to foreigners -some of whom have the most imaginative ideas for future urban development.
Meaning, u do not really believe that the Nigerian expertise really posses the skills.....

Kenya on the other hand simply does not possess the in dept native expertise that Nigeria has, please let us not deceive ourselves. Nigerians exits that are capable of building echo Atlantic except for the wall and dredging. It's just that Nigerians would not trust them to (grin). And we have the wealthy Native people to fund equivalent projects if they so wish
You, with all your wisdom and intelligence, can make that asinine statement.....unbelievable!
So, do u have the proof to back up your claims above? Can u show us any major infrastructural development carried out by the Nigerian "in depth native expertise" without relying on outside assistance?
Everybody knows that Nigeria is a country several times wealthier than Kenya, with Lagos alone claimed to be around twice as wealthy as Kenya, yet incidentally, Lagos is no London of Africa.
The country Nigeria still bears all the hallmarks of a third-world country, with reported rotten infrastructure, rotten social services with such basic services as electricity and water supply epileptic at best. In terms of development, Kenya's Nairobi is far developed than Lagos, and this despite (and this is the point)- the huge "in depth expertise" prevailing in Nigeria!

List the countries in terms of any aspect of development, and there is the largest economy in Africa always featuring prominently at the bottom of the registry.

Meaning u are basing your argument on assumptions, rather than on the facts. See how intellectually ret.arded u are? Are u saying that out of all these millions of well educated Kenyans, some whom have been trained in the universities abroad (and by the way, our Universities are ranked highly, above yours; just saying),none is well skilled in software development, that it only has to take the "pale skinned" people to do the job for us? Dude, u are crank!

Nigeria is the Africa's largest producer of oil in Africa......everybody who has been to school knows that. And anybody who has bothered to look closely into the sector will discover that it is by and large dominated by foreigners, the people from Europe and Asia. It is the foreign expertise, rather than the "in depth native expertise" that is involved in dredging the stuff on to the surface from the bowels of the earth, to transportation and marketing. Heck the commodity isnt even precessed in Nigeria. Your oil does not reall belong to u.

5 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

A. There are very few Arab doctors in the city of Mombasa, which happens to have a very large Arab population. And is my home city.
And who told you Arabs in East Africa are not 'Native'
Arabs have been on the East African coast longer than the Bantu population there SMH. Arabs arrived in 325 B.C and the Bantus in 900 A.D.
They speak Swahili rather than Arabic and are considered as part and parcel of Kenya and Tanzania
Do not confuse our Arabs with yours who are immigrants and were not born in Nigerian and most do not know any Nigerian language.
As for Medical Expertise, 99.9% of all Medical workers in Kenya are of Black African extraction as our Universities hardly have any non African in the medical field . There are very few Indians or Arabs in the world of medicine, they mostly do business . Plus a simple google of KMTC or UoN school of Medicine and look at the pictures of the graduates and tell me which non African face you see there.
As for Software Development let us go through the list of what Kenya is famous for and their background
ICT Minister Joe Mucheru, former Head of Google Africa, Black African
Juliana Rotich-Co founder of Ushahidi as well as the BRCK multiple network router,Black
Calvince Okello- M-shamba,Black
Felix Kimaru-TotoHealth,Black(The above two won the ITU innovators competition this year.)
Sam Gichuru- Co-founder NaiLab
In fact from my research there are NO INDIAN OR ARAB founders of any ICT startup in Kenya. There are a few Kenyan Europeans however like Erik Hersman, the founder of iHub and one of the co founders of Ushahidi .
As a person born in Coast ,I can assure you that Kenya's famed ICT sector has a zero presence there thus there are NO ARABS involved in Kenya's ICT. Kenya's ICT is centred on Nairobi which has very few Arabs.
As for Indians' Kenya's Asians belong to the Business Class. They are from Northern India by ancestry. India's ICT industry is found in the South . We do not have indians from Southern India in Kenya, the British took those ones to South Africa.
Apart from the founders and owners A spot look at the entire ihub workforce(whose pictures you can find online) you will see that none is non African.
Kenya's ICT is driven by the fact that :
A.Kenya is more globalized. That is, we do not have issues with international investors.
B. Our own Government has a stake in the ICT infrastructure.In Nigeria, all sea cables are owned either by foreigners or by private companies like GLO.The Kenyan Government is the largest shareholder of the TEAMS cable.
C. Both the Government and overseas investors have poured money into training locals. For example Japan has trained our best ICT innovators as JKUAT (the best science university in Kenya) has received a lot of Japanese assistance in capacity building.
Japan does quality. That is why the likes of IBM ,Google,Nokia Siemens ,TechnoHub overlooked Nigeria as quality labour is guaranteed in Kenya courtesy of Japan.
The Government has also played a major role, setting aside areas purely for ICT activities. Like Konza Techno City.
P.S. Unlike your Eko Atlantic. Konza Techno City is a purely Kenyan Government initiative, being built by Kenyan contractors and funded by Kenyan taxpayers,thus negating your silly argument that Kenya does not have native expertise.
and the Sameer Business Park.
And we do not have a reputation for online theft like Nigeria. Why do you think Paypal now allows Kenyans to withdraw from Paypal to Equity Bank in 3 business days or why the likes of Skrill have an MPESA wallet that allows one to recieve cash on your phone in mere minutes??

4 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Litmus: 2:47pm On Nov 05, 2016
Hbuyosh:

This argument of yours is discordant as it is nonsensical. I cannot really believe all the trash u have written here, and u really regard yourself well educated? SMH

First u say:

Then u proceed to make this other rather puzzling statement: ......Like seriously??
U have exposed your own lack of faith in the capabilities of the local expertise in your following statement.... Meaning, u do not really believe that the Nigerian expertise really posses the skills.....

You, with all your wisdom and intelligence, can make that asinine statement.....unbelievable!
So, do u have the proof to back up your claims above? Can u show us any major infrastructural development carried out by the Nigerian "in depth native expertise" without relying on outside assistance?
Everybody knows that Nigeria is a country several times wealthier than Kenya, with Lagos alone claimed to be around twice as wealthy as Kenya, yet incidentally, Lagos is no London of Africa.
The country Nigeria still bears all the hallmarks of a third-world country, with reported rotten infrastructure, rotten social services with such basic services as electricity and water supply epileptic at best. In terms of development, Kenya's Nairobi is far developed than Lagos, and this despite (and this is the point)- the huge "in depth expertise" prevailing in Nigeria!

List the countries in terms of any aspect of development, and there is the largest economy in Africa always featuring prominently at the bottom of the registry.

Meaning u are basing your argument on assumptions, rather than on the facts. See how intellectually ret.arded u are? Are u saying that out of all these millions of well educated Kenyans, some whom have been trained in the universities abroad (and by the way, our Universities are ranked highly, above yours; just saying),none is well skilled in software development, that it only has to take the "pale skinned" people to do the job for us? Dude, u are crank!

Nigeria is the Africa's largest producer of oil in Africa......everybody who has been to school knows that. And anybody who has bothered to look closely into the sector will discover that it is by and large dominated by foreigners, the people from Europe and Asia. It is the foreign expertise, rather than the "in depth native expertise" that is involved in dredging the stuff on to the surface from the bowels of the earth, to transportation and marketing. Heck the commodity isnt even precessed in Nigeria. Your oil does not reall belong to u.

Awe comeon, Kenya is owned by whites, Indians and Arab! Those people leave, your coffee, tea and wildlife industry collapses and Kenya ends up relying on the earnings of long distance runners grin and maybe flower sales and national dish will become, Masai cow-blood kebabs. All this is fact, one which no amount of swearing online will change.
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Litmus: 2:59pm On Nov 05, 2016
Extract:

Kenya and the EU

The European Union is a longstanding partner of Kenya. The first formal link between the then European Community (EC) and Kenya was forged in 1968 at Arusha when the East African Community signed the Arusha convention establishing trade relations between three partner states (Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda) and the EC. Kenya then became a member of the African Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group of developing countries which signed the Lomé I Convention in 1975. A year later the European Commission established a permanent Delegation in Nairobi to promote the implementation of Kenya-EC cooperation.

This cooperation of over forty years of a committed and long-term strategic allegiance, providing a comprehensive range of trade, development, security and humanitarian support to build peace and prosperity in the country. Above all, Europeans – businesspeople, diplomats, tourists, artists, NGO workers and many more - are invested in a relationship with the people of Kenya, a close cultural and social relationship that will last for many decades to come.

Together with its 28 member states, Europe is Kenya's largest trading partner and market for its exports worldwide. The European Union supports Kenya’s leadership in the region, as an economic gateway and trade leader, and supporter of good governance. European companies lead the way in investing in Kenya, generating thousands of jobs and tax revenue. The European Investment Bank provides long-term development loans, at generous rates, to support the building of energy and transport infrastructure.

Kenya’s security is dependent on regional stability and is important to the security of Europe.

The European Union is the largest supporter of the peace process in Somalia, including in financial support to the African Union Mission to Somalia. We also strongly support regional institutions of security and stability.

The European Union believes that development support in line with Kenya's national priorities is key to increasing prosperity but also recognises a growing role for the private sector, trade and investment. The EU and its member states make the largest contribution of development assistance to Kenya. European Union development assistance is supporting new born babies and farmers; devolution and access to justice; roads and energy infrastructure; access to affordable food and clean water; the urban poor and those living in Kenya’s remote regions.

From 2014 to 2020, the European Union will spend Euros 435 million, working closely with the Government of Kenya, to continue to improve key Infrastructure, agricultural development and food security, and to support governance that builds social unity.

Development assistance is only one pillar of the comprehensive partnership with Kenya.

Extract:

Nigeria and the EU

Nigeria has never been an aid-dependent country. Its own financial resources from oil and gas exports far outweigh those that can be provided by donors. However, the EU considers that external aid could play a role in enabling the authorities to make better use of their own resources, particularly by supporting the government's own initiatives to improve governance. The country has undertaken important reforms in public financial management, in particular to fight corruption.

Inspite of the oil sector’s dominance, it is the non-oil sector that is fuelling growth. Sustainable expansion of agriculture is expected to play a big part in unleashing future economic growth. On the political front, the country is considered as an emerging democracy. However, it faces an Islamist insurgency – Boko Haram – in the North and renewed instability in the Niger Delta.

The West African country is on track to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on universal primary education, greater gender equality and women’s empowerment. Other MDGs are further from reach: poverty reduction, child mortality and maternal health.

The National Indicative Programme for Nigeria outlines the main focal sectors of the EU cooperation with the country during the period 2014-20 under the 11th European Development Fund.

Over the past decade, EU-Nigeria cooperation has steadily expanded. It is grounded in the ‘EU-Nigeria Joint Way Forward’ agreed between the EU and Nigeria in 2009. This outlines the priorities for bilateral EU-Nigeria cooperation. The 10th EDF Country Strategy Paper sets out the priorities for EU funding to the country, 2008-13.

The 10th EDF programme for Nigeria, jointly drawn up with the Federal Republic of Nigeria, allocates €677 million for the period 2008-13. The three priority areas for programme and project funding are:

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2016
GERALD710:

A. There are very few Arab doctors in the city of Mombasa, which happens to have a very large Arab population. And is my home city.
And who told you Arabs in East Africa are not 'Native'
Arabs have been on the East African coast longer than the Bantu population there SMH. Arabs arrived in 325 B.C and the Bantus in 900 A.D.
They speak Swahili rather than Arabic and are considered as part and parcel of Kenya and Tanzania
Do not confuse our Arabs with yours who are immigrants and were not born in Nigerian and most do not know any Nigerian language.
As for Medical Expertise, 99.9% of all Medical workers in Kenya are of Black African extraction as our Universities hardly have any non African in the medical field . There are very few Indians or Arabs in the world of medicine, they mostly do business . Plus a simple google of KMTC or UoN school of Medicine and look at the pictures of the graduates and tell me which non African face you see there.
As for Software Development let us go through the list of what Kenya is famous for and their background
ICT Minister Joe Mucheru, former Head of Google Africa, Black African
Juliana Rotich-Co founder of Ushahidi as well as the BRCK multiple network router,Black
Calvince Okello- M-shamba,Black
Felix Kimaru-TotoHealth,Black(The above two won the ITU innovators competition this year.)
Sam Gichuru- Co-founder NaiLab
In fact from my research there are NO INDIAN OR ARAB founders of any ICT startup in Kenya. There are a few Kenyan Europeans however like Erik Hersman, the founder of iHub and a co founder of Ushahidi as well.
As a person born in Coast ,I can assure you that Kenya's famed ICT sector has a zero presence there thus there are NO ARABS involved in Kenya's ICT. Kenya's ICT is centred on Nairobi which has very few Arabs.
As for Indians' Kenya's Asians belong to the Business Class. They are from Northern India by ancestry. India's ICT industry is found in the South . We do not have indians from Southern India in Kenya, the British took those ones to South Africa.
Apart from the founders and owners A spot look at the entire ihub workforce(whose pictures you can find online) you will see that none is non African.
Kenya's ICT is driven by the fact that :
A.Kenya is more globalized. That is, we do not have issues with international investors.
B. Our own Government has a stake in the ICT infrastructure.In Nigeria, all sea cables are owned either by foreigners or by private companies like GLO.The Kenyan Government is the largest shareholder of the TEAMS cable.
C. Both the Government and overseas investors have poured money into training locals. For example Japan has trained our best ICT innovators as JKUAT (the best science university in Kenya) has received a lot of Japanese assistance in capacity building.
Japan does quality. That is why the likes of IBM ,Google,Nokia Siemens ,TechnoHub overlooked Nigeria as quality labour is guaranteed in Kenya courtesy of Japan.
The Government has also played a major role, setting aside areas purely for ICT activities. Like Konza Techno City.
P.S. Unlike your Eko Atlantic. Konza Techno City is a purely Kenyan Government initiative, being built by Kenyan contractors and funded by Kenyan taxpayers,thus negating your silly argument that Kenya does not have native expertise.
and the Sameer Business Park.
And we do not have a reputation for online theft like Nigeria. Why do you think Paypal now allows Kenyans to withdraw from Paypal to Equity Bank in 3 business days or why the likes of Skrill have an MPESA wallet that allows one to recieve cash on your phone in mere minutes??
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Hbuyosh(m): 3:29pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

Awe comeon, Kenya is owned by whites, Indians and Arab! Those people leave, your coffee, tea and wildlife industry collapses and Kenya ends up relying on the earnings of long distance runners grin and maybe flower sales and national dish will become, Masai cow-blood kebabs. All this is fact, one which no amount of swearing online will change.
Fine, Kenya is owned by whites, Indians and Arabs anymore than Nigeria is owned by the same people. He owns u he who owns the means by which u live, and therefore if the foreigners control the Nigerian oil, the sole source of revenue for the country, then they pretty much own the country.

Eat or deny

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Fidha254(m): 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:
Extract:

Kenya and the EU

The European Union is a longstanding partner of Kenya. The first formal link between the then European Community (EC) and Kenya was forged in 1968 at Arusha when the East African Community signed the Arusha convention establishing trade relations between three partner states (Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda) and the EC. Kenya then became a member of the African Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group of developing countries which signed the Lomé I Convention in 1975. A year later the European Commission established a permanent Delegation in Nairobi to promote the implementation of Kenya-EC cooperation.

This cooperation of over forty years of a committed and long-term strategic allegiance, providing a comprehensive range of trade, development, security and humanitarian support to build peace and prosperity in the country. Above all, Europeans – businesspeople, diplomats, tourists, artists, NGO workers and many more - are invested in a relationship with the people of Kenya, a close cultural and social relationship that will last for many decades to come.

Together with its 28 member states, Europe is Kenya's largest trading partner and market for its exports worldwide. The European Union supports Kenya’s leadership in the region, as an economic gateway and trade leader, and supporter of good governance. European companies lead the way in investing in Kenya, generating thousands of jobs and tax revenue. The European Investment Bank provides long-term development loans, at generous rates, to support the building of energy and transport infrastructure.

Kenya’s security is dependent on regional stability and is important to the security of Europe.

The European Union is the largest supporter of the peace process in Somalia, including in financial support to the African Union Mission to Somalia. We also strongly support regional institutions of security and stability.

The European Union believes that development support in line with Kenya's national priorities is key to increasing prosperity but also recognises a growing role for the private sector, trade and investment. The EU and its member states make the largest contribution of development assistance to Kenya. European Union development assistance is supporting new born babies and farmers; devolution and access to justice; roads and energy infrastructure; access to affordable food and clean water; the urban poor and those living in Kenya’s remote regions.

From 2014 to 2020, the European Union will spend Euros 435 million, working closely with the Government of Kenya, to continue to improve key Infrastructure, agricultural development and food security, and to support governance that builds social unity.

Development assistance is only one pillar of the comprehensive partnership with Kenya.

Extract:

Nigeria and the EU

Nigeria has never been an aid-dependent country. Its own financial resources from oil and gas exports far outweigh those that can be provided by donors. However, the EU considers that external aid could play a role in enabling the authorities to make better use of their own resources, particularly by supporting the government's own initiatives to improve governance. The country has undertaken important reforms in public financial management, in particular to fight corruption.

Inspite of the oil sector’s dominance, it is the non-oil sector that is fuelling growth. Sustainable expansion of agriculture is expected to play a big part in unleashing future economic growth. On the political front, the country is considered as an emerging democracy. However, it faces an Islamist insurgency – Boko Haram – in the North and renewed instability in the Niger Delta.

The West African country is on track to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on universal primary education, greater gender equality and women’s empowerment. Other MDGs are further from reach: poverty reduction, child mortality and maternal health.

The National Indicative Programme for Nigeria outlines the main focal sectors of the EU cooperation with the country during the period 2014-20 under the 11th European Development Fund.

Over the past decade, EU-Nigeria cooperation has steadily expanded. It is grounded in the ‘EU-Nigeria Joint Way Forward’ agreed between the EU and Nigeria in 2009. This outlines the priorities for bilateral EU-Nigeria cooperation. The 10th EDF Country Strategy Paper sets out the priorities for EU funding to the country, 2008-13.

The 10th EDF programme for Nigeria, jointly drawn up with the Federal Republic of Nigeria, allocates €677 million for the period 2008-13. The three priority areas for programme and project funding are:
You do know that 'poor aid dependent' Kenya has better standards of living than Nigeria

-----
. However, the EU considers that external aid could play a role in enabling the authorities to make better use of their own resources
----

Even with all the oil you still have a lower human development index than Kenya, Nigeria is a case of you got there but far from there, I sujjest you do alittle research on Kenya b4 making xenophobic statements with no facts to back em up with

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Hbuyosh(m): 3:37pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:
Extract:

Kenya and the EU

[size=13pt]Three myths about aid to Kenya [/size]
Kenya is Not Aid Dependent: The World Bank
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

70% of Kenyan tea is grown by smallholder farmers under the KTDA. There are no small scale European farmers in Kenya(only large scale) and there are no Indian or arab farmers in tea and coffee as Indians were never allowed to cultivate anything while Arabs never lived in the highlands.
Kenya's coffee sector was Africanized in 1968.
85% of Kenyan coffee is grown by small scale farmers. There are no non African companies in the coffee sector. The Coffee Board of Kenya ,a Government parastatal, monopolises the sector.
The largest buyers of Kenyan tea are Pakistan and Egypt http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Egypt-now-leading-buyer-of-Kenyan-tea-/539546-2410854-ko6j8j/index.html
while Kenyan green tea is almost exclusively bought by China and Japan.
Why are you even counting ArabsKenyan Arabs are poorer than most Africans!!SMH!!
I swear the last book Nigerians have read about Kenya was published in 1962.
Tourism is Kenya's largest earner. Tourists come from all over the world not just Europe and North America. In fact, 1/4 of Kenyan tourists are from Africa, especially South Africa. China is the fastest market for Kenya.
If Kenyan Europeans left, it would have zero impact on our tourism as our Europeans are citizens, not tourists. Get that through your dense head!!!
Kenya is the most industrialized nation in Eastern and Central Africa. The EAC is our larest export destination(Please note, EXPORT DESTINATION not TRADING PARTNER. The EU remains Kenya's main trading partner as we both export and import from the EU. We import very little from the EAC) with Uganda being our biggest partner.We do not export tea or coffee to Uganda.We export manufactured goods to Uganda . The same to Tanzania,our second largest export partner.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by MtuMsuper: 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2016
Ahsanteni gentlemen in trying to teach this factotum going by the name Litmus, a thing or 2 about Kenya. His views are representative of the stereotypical image of kenya(ns) in the mind of most 9ja people. They wish to confine us to one definition. A definition created by themselves, and sustained by themselves, but ultimately false. That's the thing about stereotypes :they are incomplete as they are false.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Kenyanstar: 6:20pm On Nov 05, 2016
KENYAS HEALTH SECTOR COMPARED TO NIGERIA

Courtesy Wikipedia
Kenya’s health care system is structured in a step-wise manner so that complicated cases are referred to a higher level. Gaps in the system are filled by private and church run units.

1. The governments pays for all maternal delivery in all public hospitals
2. Children below 5yrs are given free treatment in all public hospitals
3. All district hospitals in the country provide free treatment & offer subsidized medicines
4. Kenya has the highest number of referral hospitals(97) in Africa, 2 biggest national referral hospitals in East & Sub-Saharan Africa
5. Kenya has 47 cancer centers based in all county's through the National government-County government health partnership
6. Free Tuberculosis treatment in all public hospitals
7. Free vaccination for all citizens in all public hospitals

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by MtuMsuper: 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2016
Litmus:

You sir, are an idiot.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by MtuMsuper: 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2016
Kenyanstar:
KENYAS HEALTH SECTOR COMPARED TO NIGERIA

Courtesy Wikipedia
Kenya’s health care system is structured in a step-wise manner so that complicated cases are referred to a higher level. Gaps in the system are filled by private and church run units.

1. The governments pays for all maternal delivery in all public hospitals
2. Children below 5yrs are given free treatment in all public hospitals
3. All district hospitals in the country provide free treatment & offer subsidized medicines
4. Kenya has the highest number of referral hospitals(97) in Africa, 2 biggest national referral hospitals in East & Sub-Saharan Africa
5. Kenya has 47 cancer centers based in all county's through the National government-County government health partnership
6. Free Tuberculosis treatment in all public hospitals
7. Free vaccination for all citizens in all public hospitals
You forgot to mention we don't struggle with diseases like polio, unlike our hosts here on NL. We got rid of it eons ago.

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Kenyanstar: 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2016
PORT INFRASTRUCTURE BETWEEN KENYA & NIGERIA

Courtesy wikipedia

KENYA- Handling capacity- 8.5m tons
Mombasa has the only commercial port that reaches international standards and the second biggest in Africa. Mombasa's commercial port is called Kilindini Harbour and is run by the Kenya Ports Authority, it lies on the Indian Ocean. It consists of 19 berths, 2 oil terminals/jetties, 1 bulk grain handling berth and 4 container berths with the capacity to handle 180,000 containers at any given time and 12 general berths for cargo.

There are building another international port in Lamu to the north east of Mombasa.

There is an inland port at Kisumu which serves Lake Victoria serving Kenya exports to Northern Tanzania, Uganda, DR. Congo, Rwanda and Burundi.

All the 3 ports enjoy 100% access via Road and Rail and Air transport. It boasts of the newly constructed SGR(standard gauge railway) that was recently built that can handle both human passengers and cargo.

NIGERIA- Handling capacity-5.75 million tons

The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) is responsible for managing Nigeria’s ports, some of which have fallen behind international standards in terms of the quality of facilities and operational efficiency. Recognizing that the government lacks the funding and expertise to modernize facilities and run the ports efficiently, the NPA is pursuing partial port privatization by means of granting concessions to private port operators. Under the terms of concession agreements, the government would transfer operating rights to private companies for a finite number of years without forgoing ownership of the port land. Nigeria’s principal container port is the port of Lagos, which handles about 5.75 million tons of cargo each year. The port, which consists of separate facilities at Apapa and Tin Can Island, has a rail connection to points inland. Port Harcourt, a transshipment port located 66 kilometers from the Gulf of Guinea along the Bonny River in the Niger Delta, handles about 815,000 tons of cargo each year and also has a railway connection. Both ports are not only responsible for Nigeria’s seaborne trade but also serve inland countries such as Niger and Chad. A new port is under construction at Onne about 25 kilometers south of Port Harcourt. Relatively modern and efficient terminals managed by multinational oil companies handle most oil and gas exports.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Bifwoli: 8:59pm On Nov 05, 2016
MtuMsuper:

Everything you have written is CRAP! Why bother to even respond. One day you shall wake up and discover there is an Africa beyond your LGA, and you shall be a very depressed man indeed.
Btw kenyans have "eaten book" properly, expertise exists in every field of human endeavour, it's not uncommon to find unemployed masters and phd holders. So STFU

Lol , all these wonderful "native capabilities" but can't run refineries,can't run oil exploration and production,can't keep stable electricity,can't compete Shoprite that is making serious inroads in retail mkt,can't run a national airline,can't stop importing even the basics ,polio still showing its ugly head in the north and maternal mortality rates still unacceptably high,still live shorter lives on average and the literacy rates is 19 points lower.

Eish, these "wonderful capablities" are soooo even ,sooo markedly better and all the indices,qualitative analysis and statistics prove it all.NOT

4 Likes

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by KwachImani(f): 1:12pm On Nov 06, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin

The beauty of facts!

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Hbuyosh(m): 7:31pm On Nov 06, 2016
Litmus:

The Kenyan non-profit company Ushahidi has launched a website which lets voters report irregularities on polling day. The creators want to promote transparency - with a tool they invented in a time of bloodshed.
Kenya was in turmoil in late 2007 and early 2008. Mwai Kibaki had been declared the winner of a controversial presidential election which reeked of fraud and corruption on both sides. Violence erupted between different ethnic groups throughout the country and killed at least 1,000 people. It was hard for the media to keep track because many of the murders happened in remote regions.
It was then that a group of tech-savvy Kenyans got together and developed Ushahidi, a crowdsourcing software that let people report cases of violence and tracked them on a map. This provided a far more complete picture of the situation than any news outlet had given at the time.
Ushahidi, which means testimony in Kiswahili, has come a long way since then. It's now a multinational software enterprise headquartered in Nairobi with around 30 employees working in eight countries. Their technology has been used for all kinds of purposes - from earthquake response to journalism. And this year, it will help monitor the US elections.
From Kenya to the United States
Ushahidi has put up a special website, where voters can report any irregularities or problems they may encounter at the polling stations. They can, for example, flag up that ballot papers have run out or that disabled people have a hard time accessing the polling booth - or that there's nothing wrong at all. Ushahidi collects and maps all this information to visualise the bigger picture.
"My real hope is that on Wednesday we look at the report and that 99.9 percent of reports say: 'Everything went great!'," says Nat Manning, Ushahidi's COO who's based in San Francisco.
The existing structures to prevent voter fraud in the US already seem quite fail-safe. The different states and parties as well as outside observers all independently monitor the polling. But Manning thinks Ushahidi can still add to the process. "It allows regular citizens to raise their voice. It puts a lot more eyes out there. And importantly, it creates a feeling of transparency and engagement," he told DW.
Are the US elections 'rigged'?
There has been much talk about 'rigging' and 'fraud' in the upcoming presidential elections, mainly by the Republican candidate Donald Trump.
But in fact, there's only little evidence that large-scale fraud is an issue in the United States. A study from 2014, for instance, found there have only been 31 cases of impersonation fraud between 2000 and 2014 - out of one billion ballots cast. The difference between what's being said and what really happens spurred on Ushahidi's efforts to make this election even more transparent.
"We just couldn't sit by and let people put unfair doubt on to what is truly a miraculous and wonderful thing - that we all go out and vote and have this peaceful transition of power every four to eight years," Manning said.
Whatever the outcome of this year's election may be: Ushahidi - a tool sparked by crisis in Kenya - will help to keep elections fair in the United States.
DW RECOMMENDS
Obama slams Trump for questioning the integrity of the US election
President Barack Obama has criticized Republican nominee Donald Trump over his casting doubt on the validity of the US election. Trump's talk has been met with howls of protest from many Democrats and Republicans alike. (21.10.2016)
Clinton vs. Trump - who's promising what?
Both candidates want to invest heavily in infrastructure and create millions of new jobs. And both are opponents of TPP, the transpacific trade partnership. But that could be as far as their shared opinions go. (14.10.2016)
Trump accepting the US election result has little practical consequence
Donald Trump's anomalous suggestion that he may not accept the outcome of the elections has startled the public and was widely criticized. But as a practical matter it will likely have little significance. (25.10.2016)
WWW LINKS
Ushahidi's election monitor

[https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/02/kenyan-startup-ushahidi-launches-a-crowdsourced-campaign-to-monitor-the-u-s-election/]

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Beey(f): 11:48am On Nov 07, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
Really? Tell me more please cuz I hardly read any good news from Kenya #nooffence
Blame it on your people who always look for trash to post.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by Rano85(m): 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2016
Kudos to the surgeons.
Re: Kenyan Doctors Separate Conjoined Twins: First In Africa by SmallSimba: 5:57am On Jun 15, 2017
Free at last

The leave hospital today after 8 months stay in the hospital.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Shuts Down Federal Medical Centre, Owerri / 15 Tips To Maintain A Healthy Skin / Could This Be The Cure For HIV? - Yahoo News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.