Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Ozuruimo Festival Lights Up Owerri - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ozuruimo Festival Lights Up Owerri (2087 Views)

Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures) / Fayose Steals The Show At Udiroko Festival / New Yam Festival Among Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ozuruimo Festival Lights Up Owerri by AloyEmeka6: 7:04am On Oct 29, 2009
Ozuruimo festival lights up Owerri
By Chuks Nwanne

IF all plans put on paper by the organising committee would be put into practice, then participants in this year's Ozuruimo festival are in for a fun filled moment. Billed to open today in Owerri, the capital city of Imo State, the festival, designed by the state government to celebrate its rich cultural heritage, is expected to run till October 31.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/28/4.html

Organised by the Imo State Council for Arts and Culture, led by songster, Onyeka Onwenu, the theme of the event is: The Resuscitation of Mbari Culture As A Depiction of Igbo Industry.

Speaking on the event, Onwenu, who also doubles as the Chairman of the Sub-Committee in charge of the colloquium that would kick-start the event today, Mbari is the art form used by Ndigbo to capture esoteric and spiritual concepts as they relate to human activities and existence.

"This festival is my first as the chairman of the Imo State Council for Arts and Culture (ISCAC), therefore, it's truly a momentous one for me and my team. It's a cultural extravaganza comprising of several interesting events. We are beginning the event with a Colloquium at the Multipurpose Hall, Government House, Owerri at 10am. It is a lecture that will be delivered by Prof. Aloy Ejiogu, of the English Department of the University of Lagos titled, The Concept of Mbari in Igboland."

According to the programme of activities, the event will move to the Oguta Lake on the 29th, for a boat regatta, while cultural dance competitions and display of masquerades will follow the following day at the Mbari centre, Owerri.

The Elegant Stallion, as Onwenu is fondly called, further disclosed that this year's edition would also feature a Carnival Float through the major streets of Owerri, while the event is expected to climax with a rendezvous at the Grasshoppers Stadium, Owerri.

"We have also designed and packaged several kinds of Egwu Onwa (Moonlight Games), in all the nights of the four-day festival. In fact, there will be music, dance, local delicacies, story telling and many more at the Amphi-Theatre, inside the Mbari Centre."

Also speaking on the event, the Chairman of the Ozuruimo festival, HRH Eze Ebere Nweme, the Odu of Osu-Owerre, Isiala Mbano, informed that the festival would definitely help to unite the whole of Imo State citizens, including those in the Diaspora, adding that all the 27 LGAs in the state as well as friends of the state, would be participating.
Re: Ozuruimo Festival Lights Up Owerri by AndreUweh(m): 9:04pm On Oct 29, 2009
Ozuruimo and Omenaimo are ways of showcasing Igbo culture from the local councils in Imo state. I participated in the 1993 edition of this cultural feast. I was part of Agu-Okonko team that represented Etiti that year.
In attendance that year was Pericomo Okoye from Aro Ndizuogu. There were other attractions such as pouring of palm wine into an empty basket yet it did not leak. That was performed by Oru Uwazie from Ihitte Uboma LGA.
I miss home so much.

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The Real Lagosians / How Well Do You Know Your Eulogy (oriki) / Yoruba And Colours(a MUST READ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.