Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (19037 Views)

Renting A House? 5 Things To Consider / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Abuja | Co-tenant / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos | Co-tenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Thank you for your submission.

Seems your dad and I have something in common. I hate to pay rent ehn...espcially in a state like Lagos.

I don't really care about the transportation cost but the stress I'd have to sustain everyday. The traffic on that Lagos-Abeokuta expressway can be something else. Going to work might not be in problem if one wakes up early, but coming back is really hectic. One could spend up to 3 hours on that road.

It won't be easy coming from ogun to lag everyday. Your dad shuttles between VI and Ota? Are you kidding me? How's your dad able to do this? The stress, the traffic et al.
I'd love to know cos this has been my greatest fear.

one can never go wrong with building his own apartment - I always advice my frineds to eliminate paying rent first and you've solved a lot of problem.

for now @ColonelDrake get a good, easily accessible land and start building..... I'm an architect and with the present hike in material etc the earlier the better.

You wont be completing your house in 1year, would take a while maybe 2 - so u have enough time to re-strategise.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 11, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:

sorry bro I don't understand this pm thing

u can sent me mail
Thanks MA. I need as much advice I can get. It's very important that I learn from other people's experiences. This decision I'm about to make can Mar or make my future.
Anyway, I'm risk perverse. If life throws at lemon at me, I just use it to make a lemonade.
I'll send you a mail now. You can remove your mail now

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 11, 2016
saydfact:

one can never go wrong with building his own apartment - I always advice my frineds to eliminate paying rent first and you've solved a lot of problem.

for now @ColonelDrake get a good, easily accessible land and start building..... I'm an architect and with the present hike in material etc the earlier the better.

You wont be completing your house in 1year, would take a while maybe 2 - so u have enough time to re-strategise.

Thanks bro. Will start working on it.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by NoToPile: 11:44am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks

You might want to consider this

https://www.nairaland.com/3422376/plots-land-sale-agbara-badagry

Pls go through the thread, you can come view the environment if interested.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by haryomikun(m): 11:52am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Thank you for your submission.

Seems your dad and I have something in common. I hate to pay rent ehn...espcially in a state like Lagos.

I don't really care about the transportation cost but the stress I'd have to sustain everyday. The traffic on that Lagos-Abeokuta expressway can be something else. Going to work might not be in problem if one wakes up early, but coming back is really hectic. One could spend up to 3 hours on that road.

It won't be easy coming from ogun to lag everyday. Your dad shuttles between VI and Ota? Are you kidding me? How's your dad able to do this? The stress, the traffic et al.
I'd love to know cos this has been my greatest fear.
Trust me bro, traffic jams arent common with the Lagos Abeokuta expressway. It only happens frequently after rainfall.

The stress is the worst thing about shuttling ogun To lag. I actually respect my dad for this really. He's been doing it for about 7 years now. I won't lie to you the stress is very very much. My dad wakes up around 4am to take his bath then he leaves around 4:45am-5:15am. He gets back around 9:30-10pm. It doesn't pass this range no matter how bad it gets

He leaves this early though because my place isn't exactly at ota. Its a 30 minute drive from Ota itself. So I reckon you'll have to be waking up around 5am everyday to to to work if you are working around VI.

Truth is,,, it's best to stay in Lagos if you can't handle the stress of shuttling between the two states. Jobs in ota and Abeokuta have only good salaries... There are no juicy salaries here like lag. That's the exact reason my dad still works in lag. The juicy salary factor grin

Where dyu work BTW?
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2016
haryomikun:

Trust me bro, traffic jams arent common with the Lagos Abeokuta expressway. It only happens frequently after rainfall.

The stress is the worst thing about shuttling ogun To lag. I actually respect my dad for this really. He's been doing it for about 7 years now. I won't lie to you the stress is very very much. My dad wakes up around 4am to take his bath then he leaves around 4:45am-5:15am. He gets back around 9:30-10pm. It doesn't pass this range no matter how bad it gets

He leaves this early though because my place isn't exactly at ota. Its a 30 minute drive from Ota itself. So I reckon you'll have to be waking up around 5am everyday to to to work if you are working around VI.

Truth is,,, it's best to stay in Lagos if you can't handle the stress of shuttling between the two states. Jobs in ota and Abeokuta have only good salaries... There are no juicy salaries here like lag. That's the exact reason my dad still works in lag. The juicy salary factor grin

Where dyu work BTW?

Wow.. your dad is really trying but please advise him to stop. Health is Wealth. Please advise him to take his health seriously. it's very important. his organization won't stop work for a minute if anything happens to him. please
cos I'm feeling it as if it's happening to me.

I can relate to this because my family house is in ota. there was a time I got a job and the location was at ikoyi. Before I accepted the offer though, I negotiated for an accommodation cos I told them that was the only thing that would make leave my comfort zone. I was working with a company at lekki then and I was given an apartment. They obliged my request and offered to lodge me at the guest house for 1 year on the condition that I'd be coming from home for the first one month while they make preparations for me to stay at the guest house. During this period, I was coming from ota. My first day, I left my house in ota at 5:00am, I got to work at 10 am - 2 hours late. I got home 11pm at night. Next day, I left my house at 4:30am, I got to the office at 6:00am. Guy, it got to a point that I was only getting 4 hour sleep. At a point, I wasn't feeling sleepy again anytime I get home from work. Do you know what it means when you no longer feel sleepy when you should be sleeping?

My mum begged me to stop the work. She said she would be paying me salary every month. I didn't accept though cos it's not really about the money alone but the feeling that you work with a company. The stress took it toll on me and I started losing weight.

I couldn't endure it for another week. I had to beg the company to please finalise the preparations. They agreed and I packed in.

It was crazy.. e no easy oo

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2016
NoToPile:

You might want to consider this

https://www.nairaland.com/3422376/plots-land-sale-agbara-badagry

Pls go through the thread, you can come view the environment if interested.
I will
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by IbkD: 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2016
jaheymezz:
I think this thread is for dem boys coming back home from the states!

Lol!!!

I think easy access to the (super)market and bus stop. Also the calibre of people you will end up referring to as neighbours.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2016
Security power supply steady network water supply and most importantly

absence of boko and avengers boys......
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by MrMr(m): 1:34pm On Nov 11, 2016
saydfact:

I guess you're referring to employment?
got it
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by 3rdlegxxx(m): 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
Location, availability of constant electricity and water, that's all i seek. smiley
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by 3rdlegxxx(m): 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Wow.. your dad is really trying but please advise him to stop. Health is Wealth. Please advise him to take his health seriously. it's very important. his organization won't stop work for a minute if anything happens to him. please
cos I'm feeling it as if it's happening to me.

I can relate to this because my family house is in ota. there was a time I got a job and the location was at ikoyi. Before I accepted the offer though, I negotiated for an accommodation cos I told them that was the only thing that would make leave my comfort zone. I was working with a company at lekki then and I was given an apartment. They obliged my request and offered to lodge me at the guest house for 1 year on the condition that I'd be coming from home for the first one month while they make preparations for me to stay at the guest house. During this period, I was coming from ota. My first day, I left my house in ota at 5:00am, I got to work at 10 am - 2 hours late. I got home 11pm at night. Next day, I left my house at 4:30am, I got to the office at 6:00am. Guy, it got to a point that I was only getting 4 hour sleep. At a point, I wasn't feeling sleepy again anytime I get home from work. Do you know what it means when you no longer feel sleepy when you should be sleeping?

My mum begged me to stop the work. She said she would be paying me salary every month. I didn't accept though cos it's not really about the money alone but the feeling that you work with a company. The stress took it toll on me and I started losing weight.

I couldn't endure it for another week. I had to beg the company to please finalise the preparations. They agreed and I packed in.

It was crazy.. e no easy oo

Love your true story bro, you try, i really wonder how people do it tho, waking up 4 to get to work, leaving as far as egbeda, sango ota, deep into ikorodu, ogun and working on the island, that's some crazy stuff, i work and live on the island so i guess mine is different..
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 11, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

Love your true story bro, you try, i really wonder how people do it tho, waking up 4 to get to work, leaving as far as egbeda, sango ota, deep into ikorodu, ogun and working on the island, that's some crazy stuff, i work and live on the island so i guess mine is different..
People still do it o..infact I just got to know that some of my colleague at work come from Ikorodu, some egbeda. But for me, I can never try it again.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by sean0190(m): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks

Your advice is in three ways
1. If your motive of building a house is for business/investment purpose then location as Lagos mainland is ideal. values for real estate investment is high in the an urban area.

2 If your motive is for peaceful settlement of your family then, Ogun States is best for you, cos land is cheap. but value or investment is low.

3. If you have the money to build in Lagos, and you have a secured job or you are the CEO of a company then having you own personal house near your work would be best for you. This saves the time and stress of travelling tro and fro long distance to your work.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 12, 2016
sean0190:

Your advice is in three ways
1. If your motive of building a house is for business/investment purpose then location as Lagos mainland is ideal. values for real estate investment is high in the an urban area.

2 If your motive is for peaceful settlement of your family then, Ogun States is best for you, cos land is cheap. but value or investment is low.

3. If you have the money to build in Lagos, and you have a secured job or you are the CEO of a company then having you own personal house near your work would be best for you. This saves the time and stress of travelling tro and fro long distance to your work.
What if my motivations are business and investment purposes and peaceful settlement of my family. I want both. The kinda of industry I work in is here in Lagos. And I also want a nice settlement for my family. What would you advise in this case sir?
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 11:13am On Nov 12, 2016
ColonelDrake:

What if my motivations are business and investment purposes and peaceful settlement of my family. I want both. The kinda of industry I work in is here in Lagos. And I also want a nice settlement for my family. What would you advise in this case sir?

Then u need somewhere not too far from Lagos.. If it's Ogun state not more than 5mins from a major road... Eg Mowe / Ibafo axis if your site is not more than 5mins drive from Lagos Ibadan express...
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 9:28am On Nov 28, 2016
next article wld be on dedicated to those who want to build with little income.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:17am On Dec 07, 2016
ColonelDrake:

This might interest you..
https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:20am On Dec 07, 2016
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
saydfact:

This might interest you..
https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning
Lol.. could you believe that I just logged in because of this thread. I just saw the thread on the front page now.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 2:09pm On Dec 08, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Lol.. could you believe that I just logged in because of this thread. I just see the thread on the front page now.
Thanks a lot.

Thanks, i promised to do this thrend.. i appreciate ur following up too...
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 11:36am On Feb 08, 2017
YOU CAN FOLLOW MY LATEST ARTICLE HERE >>> https://www.nairaland.com/3617471/should-supervise-building-project-architects

WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS?
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 2:25pm On Feb 15, 2017
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by bloomfieldnig(m): 11:49pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nice write up, in addition to the location it could also mean safe neighborhoods, traffic flows, proximity to shopping malls, school quality, nightlife attractions, and proximity to jobs or natural features such as the ocean or a mountain range and so on, because these few things can also have direct impact on our being if proper consideration isn't taken.

You can also read more about Real-Estate, Construction, Architectural Designs and Project Management
from this site https://bloomfieldnig.com/blog

You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter to know about the industry development trend

6 THINGS TO KNOW WHEN BUYING LANDED PROPERTY
https://bloomfieldnig.com/blog/real-estate-blog/6-things-know-buying-landed-property.html

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by money121(m): 12:05am On Sep 28, 2017
Keep the thread moving.
Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 For Your Roofing Sheet

Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2019
Evening Followers.

Kindly check out my latest post here >> https://www.nairaland.com/5002180/what-did-he-wrong-why#75413259

Thanks
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 11:25am On Sep 18, 2019
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 6:26pm On Jan 01, 2020
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020 TO EVERYONE HERE.

THIS YEAR WOULD BE GREATER THAN THE PREVIOUS.

AMEN...... #GRATEFUL

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Consumes Part Of Newly Built Block Of Flats In East London (Photos) / Residential Building On Fire In Ojota Area Of Lagos - Pictured / Construction Of Mini Bakery/ Office Space By Rotech77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.