Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,955 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

I Enjoy Christian Fiction - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Enjoy Christian Fiction (2138 Views)

She Came with Hope - A Fiction. / Untitled Fiction / Ted Dekker: Best Christian Fiction Writer Or No? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Enjoy Christian Fiction by newera(f): 12:59pm On Jan 04, 2007
I enjoy reading Christian Fiction. I find most of the writings to be inspirational and instructive - most often inspiring deep thoughts. I find myself thinking about the issues raised days after i have completed reading. I enjoy thrillers; I find the historical fiction very educative; while i find the Romantic fiction acceptably clean.

Some of my favourite authors are

Frank Peretti, he helps to see why some unexplainable things happen to us. I recommend This Present Darkness for starters.

Ted Dekker is a speed thriller. I gurantee that you will enjoy "Three"; no matter how much i tried, i couldn't decode the story till the last moment.

Karen Kingsbury tells contemporary stories, mostly in series that will keep you buying one book after the other.

Francine Rivers is another one of my favourites. She is just in a class of her own. I read Atonement Child twice and i can say for sure that it changed my life. The book taught me not to judge lightly. You can never know how you will respond to a situation until you actually face it yourself.

In the last one month - I discovered Angela Hunt. She's good but i think she writes better historical than contemporary fiction.

And then there is Dee Henderson, you will love her if you like books related to the Armed forces.

It will be good to hear from other avid Christian Fiction readers and to know what you think. I hope this thread will also stimulate interest in these books on a general level and also get some people to start writing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by gbengaijot(m): 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2007
I like them as well, but i have not read the ones you post on here. I like the "Left Behind" Series by Camara Lahaye
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by MP007(m): 6:48pm On Jan 04, 2007
they made a video game for left behind. it kinda awesome .
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by sakish(f): 7:46pm On Jan 04, 2007
I think I like Angela Hunt's books.Especially 'The dept'
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by gbengaijot(m): 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2007
U mean they \made a gmae for it?,

do you have any site i can buy it from?
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Genial(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04, 2007
gbengaijot:

I like them as well, but i have not read the ones you post on here. I like the "Left Behind" Series by Camara Lahaye

Tim Lahaye. Camara Laye is an African (from Guinea, I think) author - the author of "The African Child", etc.  smiley
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by dennylove(m): 9:40pm On Jan 04, 2007
yeah, i like "THE WHY ASK WHY"check it out is an inspiring book to read.but i forgot the name of the author. can anyone help me with the author's name?
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by GL(f): 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2007
I LOVE Left Behind series. I've read some Frank Peretti books and i love them too. also read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, good book.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by PHBABE(f): 10:20pm On Jan 04, 2007
oh sorry my bad. wrong forum! grin
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by tEsLim(m): 10:27pm On Jan 04, 2007
yeah Ted Deker -- "Obsession". Was really greate. And read little of "When Heaven Weeps"
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by tlo(f): 11:53pm On Jan 04, 2007
I always have this 'HIGH' when I read Christian fiction, its clean and inspirational, it gives me a fresh attitude to life.

I think KAREN KINGSBURY is the bomb she writes the most amazing stories, and its easy to see from her books how biblical principles can be applied to daily living, also that Christians aren't super human, and the journeys they take to be come more like what God wants us to be.

I also think FRANCINE RIVERS is great, if you get your hands on 'Redeeming Love', you'll see why

@dennylove

"why ask, why" was written by John Mason, i think
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by newera(f): 9:25am On Jan 05, 2007
tlo:

I always have this 'HIGH' when I read Christian fiction, its clean and inspirational, it gives me a fresh attitude to life.

I think KAREN KINGSBURY is the bomb she writes the most amazing stories, and its easy to see from her books how biblical principles can be applied to daily living, also that Christians aren't super human, and the journeys they take to be come more like what God wants us to be.

I also think FRANCINE RIVERS is great, if you get your hands on 'Redeeming Love', you'll see why

@dennylove

"why ask, why" was written by John Mason, i think

Redeeming love is one of the most absorbing books anyone can read. It tells the story of a astonishingly beautiful young girl who was introduced to prostitution at the age of 8. The prostitution becomes all she knows about life and after a while she no longer cares. A young man shows her true love and literally takes the prostitution, bad mouth and agression out of her. It took patience and it took almost 10 years but in the end he won. Amazing story.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by gbengaijot(m): 9:33am On Jan 05, 2007
thanks man, i atually meant Tim lahaye. I think he wrote a book titled "why you act the way you do".

That was a good book, although not a christian fiction
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Modups1(f): 11:17am On Jan 06, 2007
I am so excited bout this thread cos i LUV christian fiction!

i highly reccommend the ff books to u guys as well

the shofar blew by francine rivers
mark of the lion series by francine rivers

showdown by ted dekker
three by ted dekker

house by ted dekker & frank perretti
visitation by frank perretti

ENJOY!
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Itse(f): 10:57pm On Jan 06, 2007
Hey everyone,

I love Francine Rivers: the last sin eater is a great story, actually all her books are try and read them all. Frank Peretti is another author whose books have been an encouragement to me. I pair his writing style with that of Francine's.

For some unknown reason, i have not been able to bring myself to read Karen Kingsbury but all my friends like her books.

Michelle McKinney Hammond is another great writer, her books have singles as its target audience and in a good number of cases narrows down to single sisters, they are great books too.

A. W. Tozer's books inspire me because they where written like over 30 years ago (he died in 1963) and they apply like it was written for the now, try and read Born After Midnight, Tragedy in the church, or any or his works you see.

Then there is Joe L. Wheeler: he wrote heart to heart stories for dads, heart to heart stories for moms, heart to heart stories of friendship, here is an excerpt from the book 'heart to heart stories of friendship'

• Friendships cannot be taken for granted, not even the strongest ones. Upkeep is essential if they are to flourish. Our technological society affords many ways to retain friends when distance precludes personal interaction, such a phone calls, faxes, E-mail (more and more common). Sadly, many of us are physically removed from some of those we love most, so we must establish alternative methods of communication if we are not to lose their relationship. Some of the most meaningful and treasured relationships of my life have resulted from personal letters.
• Friendships cannot flourish without an element of mutual respect. Oddly enough, not even criminal relationships can outlast loss of respect.
• Beware the power of words! Many friendships have been lost because of loose lips. Sometimes the words are forgiven—but they are never forgotten! “Friends are made by many acts—and lost by one” (Sunshine Magazine, February 1958).
• A true friend will risk even the relationship itself rather than see the other hurt. How well I remember stepping in once when a friend was needlessly putting her reputation at risk. The immediate result was a noticeable cooling of our friendship, but the long-term result was that this friend is today one of the closet friends I have. Through the experience she learned that her personal success in life was more important to me than the friendship itself—and there can be no stronger friendship in life than one based on such mutual trust. Other friends have done the same for me.
• Few friendships can survive repeated acts of borrowing, for damage is likely to occur on both ends rather than one. The same is true for involving friends in business deals—I learned that particular lesson the hard way!
• Only in adversity do we learn who our true friends really are. It is said that a friend is the person who walks in when the rest of the world is walking out.
• A true friend brings out the best in us. Unquestionably, we become like our friends. We can achieve honor and respect by the choice of friends, or we lose both honor and respect by the wrong choice.
• Never has it been said better than Joseph Addison did: “Friendship doubles joy and divides grief”.
• Treasure most your old friends, those who have stood the test of time: “Forsake not an old friend; for the new is not comparable to him: a new friend is as new wine; when it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure” (Sirach 9 : 10).

He complied stories from different people some are true, while others are fiction. His books are tagged under the heading Focus on the Family.

Christian fiction are GREAT!!!!!
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Itse(f): 11:05pm On Jan 06, 2007
Hey everyone,

I love Francine Rivers: the last sin eater is a great story, actually all her books are try and read them all. Frank Peretti is another author whose books have been an encouragement to me. I pair his writing style with that of Francine's.

For some unknown reason, i have not been able to bring myself to read Karen Kingsbury but all my friends like her books.

Michelle McKinney Hammond is another great writer, her books have singles as its target audience and in a good number of cases narrows down to single sisters, they are great books too.

A. W. Tozer's books inspire me because they where written like over 30 years ago (he died in 1963) and they apply like it was written for the now, try and read Born After Midnight, Tragedy in the church, or any or his works you see.

Then there is Joe L. Wheeler: he wrote heart to heart stories for dads, heart to heart stories for moms, heart to heart stories of friendship, here is an excerpt from the book 'heart to heart stories of friendship'

• Friendships cannot be taken for granted, not even the strongest ones. Upkeep is essential if they are to flourish. Our technological society affords many ways to retain friends when distance precludes personal interaction, such a phone calls, faxes, E-mail (more and more common). Sadly, many of us are physically removed from some of those we love most, so we must establish alternative methods of communication if we are not to lose their relationship. Some of the most meaningful and treasured relationships of my life have resulted from personal letters.
• Friendships cannot flourish without an element of mutual respect. Oddly enough, not even criminal relationships can outlast loss of respect.
• Beware the power of words! Many friendships have been lost because of loose lips. Sometimes the words are forgiven—but they are never forgotten! “Friends are made by many acts—and lost by one” (Sunshine Magazine, February 1958).
• A true friend will risk even the relationship itself rather than see the other hurt. How well I remember stepping in once when a friend was needlessly putting her reputation at risk. The immediate result was a noticeable cooling of our friendship, but the long-term result was that this friend is today one of the closet friends I have. Through the experience she learned that her personal success in life was more important to me than the friendship itself—and there can be no stronger friendship in life than one based on such mutual trust. Other friends have done the same for me.
• Few friendships can survive repeated acts of borrowing, for damage is likely to occur on both ends rather than one. The same is true for involving friends in business deals—I learned that particular lesson the hard way!
• Only in adversity do we learn who our true friends really are. It is said that a friend is the person who walks in when the rest of the world is walking out.
• A true friend brings out the best in us. Unquestionably, we become like our friends. We can achieve honor and respect by the choice of friends, or we lose both honor and respect by the wrong choice.
• Never has it been said better than Joseph Addison did: “Friendship doubles joy and divides grief”.
• Treasure most your old friends, those who have stood the test of time: “Forsake not an old friend; for the new is not comparable to him: a new friend is as new wine; when it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure” (Sirach 9 : 10).

He compiled stories from different people some are true, while others are fiction. His books are tagged under the heading Focus on the Family.

Christian fiction are GREAT!!!!!
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by yemo(m): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2007
francis rivers redeeming love is awesome. it is just that the books are a little bit expensive. if ican get to borrow i wont mind
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by MP007(m): 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2007
gbengaijot. i saw it on a gametv show on BET.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by marhoatumu(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2007
i love anything fiction but christian fiction is outstanding by far. with people like frank peretti and ted dekker who can look anywhere else. last december i read the whole left behind series from book 1 to 12 all over again, without feeling bored.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by zukkie4eva(f): 7:44pm On Jan 10, 2007
I love Francine Rivers. She's simply amazing. Haddassah's story (The lion series) touched me so much. It was so inspiring and touching. The way Francine Rivers captures her stories is really remarkable. I aspire to write like her and even better.

I've heard alot about KAren Kingsbury, never read her books but reckon she's great. I've seen her website.

Chistian literature is da bomb! - nothing short of it. grin
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by ADESUWA(f): 6:55pm On Jan 12, 2007
who has read [Heaven is so real]by Choo Thomas ,it is a must read 4 everyone aithough it is a real life true story
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by avalon: 5:42pm On Apr 26, 2007
any site offering fre online christian books? pls share.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 26, 2007
you guys make sure you read some secular stuff too. just so we are not sticking our heads in the sand. all this christian-lit stuff is so suspiciously close to fantasy. grin
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 26, 2007
you guys make sure you read some secular stuff too. just so we are not sticking our heads in the sand. all this christian-lit stuff is so suspiciously close to fantasy.  grin
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 07, 2007
@ziddy
stick to the topic

considering how broad secular literature is there is more FANTASY there than anywhere else. tongue

back to topic

Has anyone read Scarlet thread--- another Francine Rivers
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by dominobaby(f): 7:59am On May 08, 2007
Oh my word, i never knew a thread like this was here. Nice one newera, cos i really love christian fiction! I haven't read much but the few i've read have greatly affected my life.

First i read was The Oath by Frank Perretti, twas mindblowing! Next was The Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and boy! That woman is just too much a writer!

Piercing the Darkness comes after This Present Darkness by Frank Perretti - like a series. I'm just reading This Present Darkness and you won't believe i'm actually 'mising' the book cos i don't want it to end! Its a must read for Christians i tell you, it has really changed my prayer life.
I need more of his books!
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by marlet01(m): 6:38pm On May 09, 2007
What can i say?

They are lovely and are really fun to read, I love reading them.
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by mi3(f): 3:46am On Oct 13, 2008
I love christian Fiction books!! it started with the whole Left Behind series (which is just awesome!), and then Ted Dekker, wow! he is just brilliant!

Someone suggested "this present darkness" by Frank Peretti for beginners, but mehn, i actually bought that book, my first F.P book, and lordy! i cannot read it!, is something wrong with me? so many people seem to like him, and i just don't get it, guess i'll have to give the book a second try,

ooh, and the Christy Miller and 'Nama beach high series are also really good, mostly for younger/teenage readers, really inspirational, because they can see christianity in an environment and situations they can relate to
Re: I Enjoy Christian Fiction by kaydkay(m): 9:58am On Dec 11, 2008
Below are Series 4 - 6 of Tim Lahaye's widely acclaimed bestseller LEFT BEHIND SERIES of the End Times (Rapture).

Just go to : WWW. BOOKSDOWNLOAD247. . COM to download the books. They are all in PDF format.

LaHaye_Tim_-_Left_Behind_04_-_Soul_Harvest
LaHaye_Tim_-_Left_Behind_05_-_Apollyon
LaHaye_Tim_-_Left_Behind_06_-_Assassins

I have 1 - 3 there already so just check my NOVEMBER POSTINGS on the site.

U can go to my Nairaland Profile and click on "Books and Magazines Download" to take u to the site.

(1) (Reply)

What Is D Opposite Of OPPOSITE ?? / word game / You Must Set Forth At Dawn By Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.