Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

"I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn (992 Views)

U.S. Votes Recount: Trump Accuses Clinton Of Reneging On Concession Speech / BREAKING News!! Hillary Clinton Publicly Delivers Concession Speech / Watch live: Hillary Clinton delivers concession speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 6:20pm On Nov 09, 2016
New York (CNN) — "I'm sorry."

With those simple words, Hillary Clinton, who thought she would wake up Wednesday as the first woman president-elect but crashed to a stunning election defeat to Donald Trump, likely ended her White House quest and national political career.

The Democratic nominee unequivocally conceded the presidential race, and said that the Constitution requires a peaceful transfer of power.

"Last night, I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans," Clinton said.

"Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead," said Clinton, who was composed and dignified even as she admitted how painful her defeat was in her first public comments on the result of the election.

"This is not the outcome that we wanted and we worked so hard for, and I am sorry that we did not win this election," Clinton told supporters and campaign workers in New York.

Clinton also addressed the historic achievement for which she twice strived in losing presidential campaigns.

"I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but someday, someone will, and hopefully sooner than we might think right now."

Clinton speech was devoid of bitterness and seemed at times to be an attempt to inspire her supporters about the virtues of public service and of fighting for what they believe.

But she also put Trump on notice that the core American values, which many Democrats believe Trump abhors with his proposals for a ban on Muslim immigration and rhetorical assaults on female journalists during his campaign.

"Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power and we don't just respect that, we cherish it. It also enshrines other things: the rule of law, the principle that we are equal in rights and dignity, freedom of worship and expression. We respect and cherish these values too and we must defend them."

Her speech marked a bitter conclusion to a campaign that will be remembered for failing to fully energize Democratic voters and for squandering the party's traditional heartlands in states like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

It also marked what could be the final act on the national stage of the Clinton double act, the political partnership between former President Bill Clinton and the former first lady and secretary of state that had seemed poised for a remarkable comeback, 16 years after they left the White House.

Campaign staffers had spoken throughout Clinton's presidential bid of the extreme pressure many of them felt in facing Trump, whom Clinton argued was temperamentally and intellectually unfit for the presidency and to be in charge of the US nuclear arsenal.

Now she is under pressure to call on a nation, split almost exactly down the middle, to unite behind the next president.

It will not be the first time Clinton has tasted the pain of ending a defeated presidential campaign. In 2008, she folded her primary bid against Barack Obama in Washington and bemoaned her failure to break the "highest and hardest glass ceiling" by becoming the first female president. That was to be her fate again in 2016, though the personal recriminations are likely to be even more intense this time given that Trump is seen by many Democrats as antithetical to American values.

Robby Mook, Clinton's campaign manager, emailed all campaign staffers Wednesday morning inviting them to join Clinton at the speech, campaign aides said.

The remarks were billed as the former Democratic nominee's goodbye to staff and as a way for her to lay out a way forward for Democrats and the country.

Dozens of Clinton staffers were waiting to get into the event an hour before the start. Many were hugging and some were crying.

"I'm still in shock," said one aide.

Clinton called Trump in the early hours of Wednesday to concede defeat after he shattered her Democratic firewall in the Midwest and swept to victory after the most vitriolic general election in generations.

But she did not appear at her election night party in New York. At the time, her campaign chairman John Podesta explained that the campaign wanted to ensure that every vote in still undeclared states was counted -- though her position already seemed hopeless.

Much of the seating at Clinton's remarks was for staff and aides and the campaign was treating it as a farewell to the people who have spent the better part of two years working on her behalf, an aide said.

Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine also was on hand. The Virginia senator was not with Clinton Tuesday night.

"I'm proud of Hillary, because she loves this country," said Kaine, who had tears in his eyes, as he delivered introductory remarks.

Trump's campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, said Wednesday that she was with Trump when Clinton's close aide, Huma Abedin, called to say her boss wanted to talk to the president-elect.

"I handed him the phone and they had a maybe one-minute conversation, very gracious, very warm. I heard Mr. Trump's side of it," Conway told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day. "He commended her for being smart and tough and running a very hard-fought campaign. And I am told Secretary Clinton congratulated Donald Trump on his victory, and conceded to him," Conway said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/clinton-to-offer-remarks-in-new-york-city/index.html

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by dingbang(m): 6:22pm On Nov 09, 2016
Lol..
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by DropShot: 6:23pm On Nov 09, 2016
Most of what Trump said during campaign are just idealism. Not pragmatism.

Soon, he will be humbled when he realizes that certain things can't just happen no matter how hard you try. He has to operate within the dictates of the Constitution and not much can be done outside it.

On the international front, he will also realize that he has to protect certain interests against his wish in return for other advantages elsewhere. For example, he doesn't want USA to continue to support NATO without those NATO countries paying for the cost of such protection. But withdrawing such support gives Russia more power and influence in Europe and other regions which ultimately makes Russia become more powerful, influential and domineering in world affairs.

Suddenly, he will realize he cannot afford to play a second fiddle to Russia since America still wants the bragging right as the most powerful nation on earth. Russia understands his naivety and it's the reason Putin prefers him being a complete novice in the power play.

The reality will hit him sooner than later.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 6:24pm On Nov 09, 2016
Who will deliver Killary supporters from this pain?

Should we call on the fake prophet-iers to do the needful again? But a second disappointment will result to self-induced suicides.

So let's call on the original prophets: The monkey and the fish. cheesy

Anyway Congrats Trump you did it (won) against all odds.

An idea whose time had come can never be stopped.

Congratulations to all Americans too. Time to work together and heal the wounds for a better country and the world at large.

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
Let her go and seat down. As secretary of state she caused many deaths. She doesn't deserve this president seat. She would have caused world war 3

BENGHAZI
DESTRUCTION OF LIBYA
SHE SUPPORTED EGYPT MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD
GAY LOBBY WORLDWIDE
SHE LAID THE GROUNDWORK FOR ISIS THROUGH WEAPONS SUPPLY

Am so glad she didn't succeed. It is good people know that the evil they do will bite them in the end

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 09, 2016
The most shocking election result in history.

It's not about how many people are screaming your name, it's about standing with you when u need them the most.

Congratulations Trump, I've loved u since I first saw The Apprentice.

2 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by stranger2000: 6:31pm On Nov 09, 2016
#SelfDevelopment is key... Train your staff and grow your business.... http:///2eGzY12

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by VickyRotex(f): 6:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
Awwwwwnnn! Issa serious something cry cry cry cry
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 09, 2016
Crook Hillary -Trump.
Grab them by the pvsssy - Trump.
grin I love this vulgar man.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

Soon, he will be humbled when he realizes that certain things can't just happen no matter how hard you try. He has to operate within the dictates of the Constitution and not much can be done outside it.

On the international front, he will also realize that he has to protect certain interests against his wish in return for other advantages elsewhere. For example, be doesn't want USA to continue to support NATO without those countries paying for the cost of such protection. But withdrawing such support gives Russia more power and influence in Europe and other regions which ultimately makes Russia become more powerful, influential and domineering in world affairs.

Suddenly, he will realize he cannot afford to play a second fiddle to Russia since America still wants the bragging right as the most powerful nation on earth. Russia understands his naivety and it's the reason Putin prefers him being a complete novice in the power play.

Go and sleep Afonja, the candidate you suported has already pledged national support and integration and you're here crying more than the bereaved.

Afonja Republic.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by DropShot: 6:45pm On Nov 09, 2016
Funnicator:

Go and sleep Afonja, the candidate you suported has already pledged national support and integration and you're here crying more than the bereaved.

Afonja Republic.
When will some of you grow sense?

We don't operate on same level boy. We belong in different classes even though we Nairaland together.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

We don't operate on same level boy. We belong in different classes even though we Nairaland together.

Go and sleep.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 6:50pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

On the international front, he will also realize that he has to protect certain interests against his wish in return for other advantages elsewhere. For example, be doesn't want USA to continue to support NATO without those countries paying for the cost of such protection. But withdrawing such support gives Russia more power and influence in Europe and other regions which ultimately makes Russia become more powerful, influential and domineering in world affairs.

Guy calm down. Did he promised not to work within the dictates of the constitution?

Electioneering campaigns usually comes with certain statements cos its a chess game.

Don't be surprised when he turned out to be a good player in global politics cos that's the same way democrats termed him a novice but he eventually won.

3 Likes

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by DropShot: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheFreeOne:

Guy calm down. Did he promised not to work within the dictates of the constitution?

Electioneering campaigns usually comes with certain statements cos its a chess game.

Don't be surprised when he turned out to be a good player in global politics cos that's the same way democrats termed him a novice but he eventually won.
I've not said he won't succeed. I only said he will soon realize he can't do as much as he thought. I know what I'm talking mister.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 7:00pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

I've not said he won't succeed . I only said he will soon realize he can't do as much as he thought. I know what I'm talking mister.

Like Buhari's A ll P romises C ancelled grin
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by DropShot: 7:12pm On Nov 09, 2016
TheFreeOne:

Like Buhari's A ll P romises C ancelled grin

Do yourself a favor: bring Jonathan on board in 2019 so he can avenge his last loss. That way, your frustration will be cut short.
grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by coolbreezy01: 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
She's done allot of damage already.
Let her no come and cause world war 3
Say no to all foreign 'H'
Hilary and Hitler

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Stalwert: 7:56pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

nairaland should be called gutter land how do people use tribalistic slurs like afonja with no provocation whatsoever and get no ban? This platform is a huge failure as long as people cannot state an opinion that comes without any ethnic rationale receiving such vitrol and hate and yet no real concerted effort to halt such idiotic behavior.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Stalwert: 8:00pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

On the international front, he will also realize that he has to protect certain interests against his wish in return for other advantages elsewhere. For example, he doesn't want USA to continue to support NATO without those NATO countries paying for the cost of such protection. But withdrawing such support gives Russia more power and influence in Europe and other regions which ultimately makes Russia become more powerful, influential and domineering in world affairs.

Spot on. ... unless he truly believed republicans are serially daft people who believe anything they hear on fox he will find out soon that the world doesn't work like the apprentice show where everything is scripted.

1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by abduljabbar4(m): 8:19pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

Do yourself a favor: bring Jonathan on board in 2019 so he can avenge his last loss. That way, your frustration will be cut short.
grin

Lol. Please can you explain to me why they think we are sad about hillari's loss? Just briefly sir cos I don't understand these people now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2016
DropShot:

grin

Nigerians won't wait for GEJ to contest before booting out that economic assasin in aso rock in 2019.

I bet the frustrations of supporting an incompetent BC has become so herculean a task that makes you guys keep seeing Gej everywhere.

Anyway this thread is about US elections.wink
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Arielle: 6:56am On Nov 10, 2016
Stalwert:

nairaland should be called gutter land how do people use tribalistic slurs like afonja with no provocation whatsoever and get no ban? This platform is a huge failure as long as people cannot state an opinion that comes without any ethnic rationale receiving such vitrol and hate and yet no real concerted effort to halt such idiotic behavior.

All the "Ipob" chanters are no better although a certain group seems to have taken hate, vitriol and self - pity to a whole new level. But you're right, Nairaland has descended to a whole new low and Seun is doing nothing about it. I think after 11 years here its time I left. To find another nigerian forum with news and entertainment, even gossip that won't leave me feeling besmirched, sad and hopeless.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Stalwert: 7:10am On Nov 10, 2016
Arielle:

All the "Ipob" chanters are no better although a certain group seems to have taken hate, vitriol and self - pity to a whole new level. But you're right, Nairaland has descended to a whole new low and Seun is doing nothing about it. I think after 11 years here its time I left. To find another nigerian forum with news and entertainment, even gossip that won't leave me feeling besmirched, sad and hopeless.

Unfortunately he is courting this sort of vileness in a short sighted belief that it will move market. Indeed leaving gutteland sorry nairaland seems to be the option left.
Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by TheFreeOne: 9:58am On Nov 10, 2016
Arielle:

However Nairaland is still the best forum in naija.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Sorry" - Hillary Clinton Delivers Painful Concession Speech - Cnn by Jokerman(m): 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2016
DropShot:

The way it hit Buhari right??

(1) (Reply)

Zimbabwe: The Kiss Of A Married Woman: A Lesson For All Men / WATCH] The Reverse Limousine Drift Presidential Drift / "Pack Your Load And Go" (hilarious Photoshopped Photo Of Robert Mugabe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.