Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum (902 Views)

Help, I'm Afraid I Could Be Expelled From School After 3 Years / Video Of Success, The Warri Schoolgirl Sent Away From School Over School Fees / FG Denies Removing CRK From Secondary School Curriculum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by ebby9z(m): 10:32am On Nov 11, 2016
Finland Will Become the First Country in the World to Get Rid of All School Subjects
Finland’s education system is considered one of the best in the world. In international ratings, it’s always in the top ten. However, the authorities there aren’t ready to rest on their laurels, and they’ve decided to carry through a real revolution in their school system.
Finnish officials want to remove school subjects from the curriculum. There will no longer be any classes in physics, math, literature, history, or geography.
The head of the Department of Education in Helsinki, Marjo Kyllonen, explained the changes:
“There are schools that are teaching in the old-fashioned way which was of benefit in the beginning of the 1900s — but the needs are not the same, and we need something fit for the 21st century.“
Instead of individual subjects, students will study events and phenomena in an interdisciplinary format. For example, the Second World War will be examined from the perspective of history, geography, and math. And by taking the course ”Working in a Cafe," students will absorb a whole body of knowledge about the English language, economics, and communication skills.
This system will be introduced for senior students, beginning at the age of 16. The general idea is that the students ought to choose for themselves which topic or phenomenon they want to study, bearing in mind their ambitions for the future and their capabilities. In this way, no student will have to pass through an entire course on physics or chemistry while all the time thinking to themselves “What do I need to know this for?”
The traditional format of teacher-pupil communication is also going to change. Students will no longer sit behind school desks and wait anxiously to be called upon to answer a question. Instead, they will work together in small groups to discuss problems.
The Finnish education system encourages collective work, which is why the changes will also affect teachers. The school reform will require a great deal of cooperation between teachers of different subjects. Around 70% of teachers in Helsinki have already undertaken preparatory work in line with the new system for presenting information, and, as a result, they’ll get a pay increase.
The changes are expected to be complete by 2020.
How I wish Nigerian leaders could just think outside of the box and set a legacy for the unborn generation
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by DanPel(m): 10:44am On Nov 11, 2016
FTC.am new on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by Krystale: 10:45am On Nov 11, 2016
Now that's government!

1 Like

Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by Heavance(m): 10:46am On Nov 11, 2016
Nigeria is not ripe for this....
The country has one language, they can easily communicate and go online to do their courses, but here, you will teach them how to speak and write in our official language first.
A higher percentage of Nigerians can't use the computer ( I'm not talking about smart phones) so its suicide trying that here.
My people will still give excuses not to learn proper English, even when they know it's the official language

2 Likes

Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by ajokebelle(f): 10:49am On Nov 11, 2016
I don't see Naija getting to this level anytime soon.
Secondary schools have more theory than practicals, imagine an writing chemical equations on the board without seeing the experiment, later they will say students are doing la cram, la pour, la forget.

Let's not even start with the universities,
that's where you will see a revised edition of a handout or textbook having the same error with the previous edition, and that's the book we are expected to read.

We still have a long way to go.

2 Likes

Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by drbolade: 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2016
Noted. if event did not overturned I already know where my children will further their education
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by LordIsaac(m): 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2016
That's a "first-world" education model...not applicable in a lawless, corruption-ridden third-world country!
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by fhunn: 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2016
Then when you are asked a question from a topic in biology, although not in line with what you need to study, and can't give an answer...you look stupid.

Not faulting their system though but history has taught us no knowledge is wasted at all, yes it might not be relevant immediately but can become relevant even if its just for a split second...which can change a mans life for the better...

1 Like

Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by webady: 6:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
love this country
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by Jamaticulus(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2016
This one for Naija Keh...KOLEWERK
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by 35four: 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
it may werk
Re: Finland Will Become The First Country To Remove Subjects From School Curriculum by sis600: 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2016
one of the coldest countries

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Academy Admission Process... 5th RC / 11 Secrets On How To Put A Smile On Your Lady’s Face / ASUU Strike: FG And ASUU Executives To Meet This Thursday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.