Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,725 members, 7,955,738 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:02 PM

For Yoruba's ; Saturday Is For Owambe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / For Yoruba's ; Saturday Is For Owambe (958 Views)

Alaga Ijoko/iduro For Yoruba Couple's To Be / Quick Question For Yoruba People (and Igbos Too) / New Original Naira Notes Needed For Owambe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For Yoruba's ; Saturday Is For Owambe by morganstones(m): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2016
I'm a Yoruba son deeply rooted in our sacred cultures and sometimes annoyingly burdened with our overemphasized greetings;that includes using Sir's and Ma's at every sentence junction. With a genealogy finely sewn like patches of flowers, from Lagos Island to Epe and further down into the interior of Egba land and the royal house of Ijebu Isiwo.

Indeed a large chunk of Yoruba people seem to be fun loving at the needed expense of other things, like education, insurances etc. For us Saturdays are for Owambe and Aso Ebi.

All my life I lived on the Mainland of Lagos (Ikorodu precisely). So, it isn't out of place to see parents spending large chunk of their life savings on parties, from wedding to house warming down to 5th wife naming ceremony ( kilode father Abraham).

The most awkward ceremony I heard of, was what they called,'Turning the back of the dead'. This happened when one of the land spectator(Omo Onile)in my area won a jackpot- so he decided to give his father a befitting burial after 20 years.

Honestly, if we are to maintain our lead as a tribe, we must learn to reevaluate our priorities. By focusing more on making our government more accountable, saving for the raining days, honing the needed survival skills for our children via education. Here in Ekiti, where government seems to owe arrears of worker's salaries, it wouldn't be out of place to find civil servants at beer parlour all over the town.

Without mincing words, Fela was right when he sang; Saturday la fin pati baba ni Eko, Ojo monday Eko oni gba gba ku gba ( Saturday is for enjoyment, while monday is for work). Well, enough of writing let me search for my Ankara cause today is Saturday.

Official : Jomo is a writer, feminist and lover of arts.

Cc: Lalastica, Ishilove .

(1) (Reply)

9 Truly Bizarre Things You Didn't Know About North Korea 'the Strangest Place On / Yoruba Origin Of Oba Bini & Da Lagosians / [photos] See The 8 Most Powerful Women In Alaafin Of Oyo Palace (he Kneels To On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.