Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Scientific Materialism And Dreams - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientific Materialism And Dreams (617 Views)

How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / The 10 Most Mind-blowing Scientific Discoveries Of 2016 / What Is One Scientific Idea You Wish You Could Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 13, 2016
Dreams are proof that mind is the primary reality. If it's baffling why lifeless, mindless atoms should come together to form mind and life, there's no reason at all why such atoms should then dream and fantasise! What possible function is served by dreams and fantasies in relation to material things?

In the material view of things, how would a non-dreamer be in anyway disadvantaged compared with dreamers? Similarly, how is a human "zombie" - a person who can do everything a conscious person can do without being conscious - in any way at a Darwinian disadvantage in comparison with conscious humans? In other words, can Darwinism plausibly account for the evolution of dreams and consciousness if these provide no evolutionary advantage whatsoever?

How can a materialist process give rise to phenomena that serve no conceivable material function? If free will is impossible - which is the case in scientific materialism where all processes are subject to rigid, inescapable scientific laws - then what's the point of humans imagining that they are free, and how did such an improbable and unnecessary delusion evolve in the first place?
Re: Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 14, 2016
but animals also dream.

does this mean that they also have free will?

dreams are best regarded as side effects of a complex neural net. and since complex neural nets have evolutionary advantage, dreams are also indispensable.
Re: Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 15, 2016
How the Bleep..........

I think the problem people have with materialism and existentialism is the gloomy nihilism it posits; as a side effect.

Some just cannot handle the deep shit that we're just randomly moving clumps of atoms that grows, lives, dances even spawning another random mesh of cells.

And that when we die; it's game over.

Same to the OP.

Dreams are just a function of random neurons overload; your brain relieving the event(s) that happened that day, that month, Years ago sometimes sef.

There's nothing special to it.

Even animals dream.
Re: Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
Teempakguy:
but animals also dream.

does this mean that they also have free will?
I think there's a problem here. I'll like to know what YOU mean by free will.

dreams are best regarded as side effects of a complex neural net. and since complex neural nets have evolutionary advantage, dreams are also indispensable.
Mind to tell me why the collection of lifeless, mindless atoms should exhibit life and mind, fantasise and dream?
Re: Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2016
SirWere:
How the Bleep..........

I think the problem people have with materialism and existentialism is the gloomy nihilism it posits; as a side effect.

Some just cannot handle the deep shit that we're just randomly moving clumps of atoms that grows, lives, dances even spawning another random mesh of cells.

And that when we die; it's game over.

Same to the OP.

Dreams are just a function of random neurons overload; your brain relieving the event(s) that happened that day, that month, Years ago sometimes sef.

There's nothing special to it.

Even animals dream.
Do you believe that you have free will?
Re: Scientific Materialism And Dreams by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2016
joyContraMundum:
I think there's a problem here. I'll like to know what YOU mean by free will.
free will is the apparent ability to make decisions despite external factors.

Mind to tell me why the collection of lifeless, mindless atoms should exhibit life and mind, fantasise and dream?
it is not a collection. it is an intricate organization that took Billions of years.

(1) (Reply)

How To Track Your Facebook Last Login Location Easily / WORLD'S FIRST 3D PRINTED PLANE UNVEILED / How To Download Laravel Advance Task Manager V1.1 Theme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.