Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,895 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars (888 Views)

Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It-soyinka / US Poll: Wole Soyinka Trends On Twitter For Saying He'll Destroy His Green Card / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by yGist: 1:21pm On Nov 13, 2016
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, on Saturday, proved that no one easily become a Professor, let alone a Nobel Laureate as he kept using big grammars to hit hard on his critics. Soyinka had earlier vowed to tear his US Green Card once billionaire businessman, Donald Trump, wins the US presidential election. Online commentators didn't spare him as they have been daring the revered playwright to carry out his threat.

Soyinka, in a statement he titled, “Red card, green card– Notes towards the management of hysteria”, described the online commentators as “noisome creatures” whose ignorance resonates largely on whatever they comment on. His words:

“Let me end with a Red Card to those noisome creatures, the nattering nit-wits of Internet: maybe Trumpland is not as despicable as the Naijaland you impose on our reality from your secure cesspits of anonymity."

“Go back to school. Your problem is ignorance, ignorance of whatever subject you so readily comment upon. Learn to study your subject before opening up on issues beyond your grasp. Sometimes you make one feel like swapping one green for another, out of embarrassment for occupying the same national space as you.’’

“If it even becomes convenient to bring it forward, I intend to do so, but please don’t come at me with plaints of time imprecision. I never discussed it with you, nor invited you to a private decision whose execution was already in the making."

“Do not try to browbeat me. It’s a waste of time – all you have to do is immerse yourselves in my antecedents. It will not attempt to deal with the notion of an exit time-table as conceived by others.’’

After been blasted like this, who can still refuse to go to school? grin

Source: http://www.ygist.com/2016/11/trump-green-card-tearing-soyinka-intimidate-nigerians.html

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 13, 2016
His statement was an "off the cuff" remark

They are mostly not actionable and mostly said to paint an "emotional image" of the person's point

That being said, if you Nigerians weren't ignorant you will know that "tearing your passport" doesn't automatically take away your citizenship,

There are processes for these things and they usually take time

Wole Soyinka was being emotional with his remarks

whichever action he chooses to take now is "his business" NOT yours or mine, enough with this "IGNORANT OBSESSION"

At best he will re-settle back in Nigeria #Trump will be out of office 2018

1 Like

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by Heroesworths(m): 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
Rubbish. The person above me took my space. HAPPY SUNDAY. In the old time elder are revered because they are usually the one speaking last whenever confronted with uncertainty or any case whatever it may be. In case of our principal above...he dived head on into America election and the critic got criticized but what do will get from a man with no remorse he is fighting back with grammar. Shame on Soyinka. Thanks.
Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by johncallidon(m): 1:29pm On Nov 13, 2016
hahahahaha..... Op Yhu have killed mhe ....

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by kinggogo: 1:32pm On Nov 13, 2016
Op criously no well grin grin

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by Joephat(m): 1:36pm On Nov 13, 2016
he thinks he can delude us with his obsolete grammatical Concord?

he should know that we Nigerians are not oblivious of the fact that he graduated with a mere third class certificate and should give his Green card the agreed Red card.

or probably, he should swallow his pride and call for *pact Sut servandi* which makes an agreement breakable.
Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 13, 2016
is he looking for who to blame in his gaffe

as long as his threat to cut his American resident permit was recorded and posted on U tube he should know that Trump's attention must be drawn to it sooner or later

he solely did his own grave
Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by Duru1(m): 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
Prof. Wole, there should be no grammatical drama in this case. Donald Trump had won the election and all you need to do is tear your green card. However do not lie when you are in need of the card whether red of green.

1 Like

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by spidey77: 1:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
Bros abi Prof., all dose ur grammar na for ursef. When u said u will tear ur green card shey na simple english you use?

2 Likes

Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by TheNonce: 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
undecided
bbmpin:
His statement was an "off the cuff" remark

They are mostly not actionable and mostly said to paint an "emotional image" of the person's point

That being said, if YOU NIGERIANS weren't IGNORANT YOU will know that "tearing your passport" doesn't automatically take away your citizenship,

There are processes for these things and they usually take time

Wole Soyinka was being emotional with his remarks

whichever action he chooses to take now is "his business" NOT yours or mine, enough with this "IGNORANT OBSESSION"

At best he will re-settle back in Nigeria #Trump will be out of office 2018

So I guess you are from brooklyn?
Re: Green Card Tearing: Soyinka Intimidate Critics With Big Grammars by coolebux(m): 2:20pm On Nov 13, 2016
What on earth is a grandpa above 80 still doing outside his fatherland.

When he's expected to stay around his family and even enjoy state privileges as an elderly state man that he is.

What ever pushed him to making the alleged comment, Pa Soyinka should sub-pedal and call it a time. He don try sha.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Madame Koi Koi 4 (a Trip Down Fgc Ikirun Lane) / The Devils Lair - Episode 1 : A Story By Nkemjika Okeke / FISH CRUSH. New Story. Hot And Interesting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.