Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,107 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Nexus (A Political Thriller) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nexus (A Political Thriller) (361 Views)

'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide / EREBUS -The Evil At Heart (Spy Thriller) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nexus (A Political Thriller) by Suurulere(m): 12:47pm On Nov 14, 2016
CHAPTER ONE
VICE-PRESIDENT QUARTERS, ASO ROCK, ABUJA, NIGERIA.

"Mr President.........Mr President."

"Yes."

"It's time."

"Thank you, Martha, but I’m still the Vice President."

"I understand sir. With time, you'll get used to it."

"So, is the Chief Justice around?"

"Yes sir. With the Senate President and the Speaker."

"Okay. Let's go. And oh! Where's Vivian?"

"She's with your wife, sir."

"Alright then."

"Mr President. Congratulations sir."

"Thank you Ade. I prefer we remain sober. I never intended to inherit the presidency like this- in this circumstance." Adeyinka Adeoti is the
Principal Secretary to John Kuranga who until now was the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

"I understand sir."

"Good. Is my speech ready?"

"Yes sir. Just need you to go over it." He collected the paper and read through.

"Okay..........Make the last paragraph more sober. We don't want to look like opportunists in the eyes of the opposition." He returned it to him and walked away briskly.

"Be quick about it. I'm about to be sworn in. The Chief Justice is here."

"Got it," he replied.

PRESIDENTIAL CHAMBERS, ASO ROCK

"The President is here. Where is the military band?" The Senate President, James Nwafor asked.

"They are here and ready, Senator." Just then Kuranga walked in with Justice Ibrahim Funtua, the Chief Justice of Nigeria.

"Your Honour."

"Mr. Vice President. Are you ready to be sworn in as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?"

"Absolutely."

"By the power conferred on me as the Chief Justice of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I hereby swear you in as President Federal Republic of Nigeria, as we administer the oath."

"I, John Zakariya Kuranga, do solemnly swear that I will do my best to protect, preserve and uphold the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria....................................So help me God.

24 HOURS EARLIER, DEFENCE HEADQUARTERS, ABUJA

"These are hard times for the nation as she battles with waves of insurgents destabilizing the unity of the nation," a male reporter's voice boomed through the radio in General Yellow's office. "Even the military...........," the voice continued. But on hearing the word 'military', he switched off the radio.

He made a call through to his orderly to get his driver ready. He was going to see President Ishola as he (Ishola) had requested him to come.
The President was about to leave the villa to the airport, when he met him at the gate. On sighting the President, he quickly got out of the car and approached him. Throwing a pseudo-salute, he greeted him.

"Mr President. Morning Sir."

"There is nothing good about this morning, Tamuno. What is it I'm hearing......about a mutiny in Maiduguri?"

"Sir. The situation is under control. In fact, as we speak, the soldiers involved are being arrested."

"Good God, Tamuno. Are you supposed to be arresting soldiers or insurgents? I have heard enough. Anyway, I'm on my way to Maiduguri," he blurted.

"Maiduguri?" He responded in shock. "Sir, I don't think that's a good idea. Our intelligence reports have confirmed that the place is unsafe for now."

"Lieutenant-General Tamuno Peter Yellow," Ishola said his name sarcastically. "A capital of a state, is what you called “the place”? That's great. Damn the intelligence reports."

"Sir, please be patient. The acting GOC is rallying the troops."

"You are confused, general," Ishola said as he walked away to his motorcade. Yellow looked dejected as he brought out his phone to make a call.

"Yes. Operations. Get me Maiduguri on the line."

Meanwhile, some few metres away from them, a conversation was going on between two mysterious voices.

"Yes sir. Everything is set."

"I heard the President is being delayed by Yellow."

"Yes sir. Just a minor thing. Yellow won't be a problem. We got this."

"I'm relying on you."

"Sure sir. The President will surely be in Maiduguri before noon."

"But sir, we have problem," the voice squeaked.

"Yes. What is it?" The other voice bellowed.

"There's an acting GOC in Maiduguri now. General Mohammed was shot by soldiers. According to our source, he's in a critical condition."

"Well. That's unfortunate. Notify Isaac and set Plan B in motion."

"Yes sir."

PRESIDENTIAL WING, NNAMDI AZIKIWE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, ABUJA.

President Muiz Ishola's motorcade arrived the airport. Just 4 months into his administration, he had been involved in impromptu visits to Potiskum and Onne due to violence. Many questions raged on in his mind as he approached Eagle One, the presidential jet, to visit Maiduguri. The last time he was there was for the campaign. Now, for showing the citizens that he is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces and most importantly, to show his empathy. He had inherited the turbulence in the North-East from his predecessor. And to fulfill his campaign promises made to the people, he had to go there.

"Welcome aboard sir," one of the pilots saluted him.

"Thank you, Captain....."

"Etim, sir," the pilot reminded him.

"Oh Etim," he nodded. "But where's Ojo?"

"He's on leave sir," Etim replied.

"Okay, let's go then."

"Yes sir."

Within minutes, they were on the runway and the jet took off on her way to Maiduguri.

(1) (Reply)

A Little Motivation From Epiphanus / Top Publishers In Nigeria / The Revolution (episode 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.