Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,670 members, 7,809,536 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Story Of A Penniless Philosopher - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Story Of A Penniless Philosopher (417 Views)

PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie / Is MMM Really Back (the Story Of A Participant) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of A Penniless Philosopher by paulhq(m): 2:25am On Nov 15, 2016
Let me tell you about him, I know you've heard of the story of Jesus, the son of God and most holy and righteous man. But I want to tell you a story of Jesus, the son of a carpenter. He grew up in the poorest village (Nazareth) of the smallest tribe (bejamite). He grew up a hardworking boy who had a great enthusiasm for learning that at one time, his parents were worried looking for him only to find him in the temple discussing with scholars. He became a hardworking carpenter, yes, he was a carpenter, not a banker, not a millionaire, a mere carpenter. But he wasn't worried about it, he wasn't worried about getting rich, he just lived life.

Then came the time when he was to go out and share the philosophy of a happy life. And at the age of 30, he set out, with no money in his pocket, or clothes in his bags, on a dream: to travel round the country inspiring people. And he did.

The man journeyed for more than three years, penniless. You have to wonder, how did he eat? He was great man, people invited him to feast together. He had no supplies but he never ran out of supplies.

But do you know one great thing about this guy? There was a time when his friends were on a ship and a storm came and they were all terrified. And they looked, and saw him coming to them, walking on the stormy sea. This carpenter, yes, this mere carpenter, was able to walk, not just on water, but also in the midst of the storm, when everybody else were afraid. How did he do it?

Jesus was the kind of guy that everybody loved, even the sinners loved him, he was playing with them one time. There was religious group called the pharisee that Jesus offends with his teaching, everybody in the group were supposed to hate him. But this guy was so good that even some of the pharisees became his followers. Even criminals loved him. How did he do it.

When you picture Jesus, what you'll see is a very happy man going around spreading happiness? what were his secrets? Love, was his greatest secret. oh such great love he had that he forgave the very people who killed him without giving a second thought. I mean, think of it, would people normally forgive if they were in his shoes? no, but is an ability we all have, we just choose to hold on to grudges too long. Here's a man who lived his life to the fullest.

He had other great philosophies for a happy life - gratitude, forgiveness, don't judge, and so many others, but do you know the one I like most: it's the one that made him walk on water.

This penniless philosopher one day sat on a mountain and shared his philosophies to a large crowd, now recorded in the book of matthew as the sermon on the mount. And in one, he said,
“Therefore I tell you, stop being worried or anxious (perpetually uneasy, distracted) about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, as to what you will wear. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow [seed] nor reap [the harvest] nor gather [the crops] into barns, and yet your heavenly Father keeps feeding them. Are you not worth much more than they?

And who of you by worrying can add one [l]hour to [the length of] his life?

And why are you worried about clothes? See how the lilies and wildflowers of the field grow; they do not labor nor do they spin [wool to make clothing],

yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory and splendor dressed himself like one of these.

But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive and green today and tomorrow is [cut and] thrown [as fuel] into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!

Therefore do not worry or be anxious (perpetually uneasy, distracted), saying, ‘What are we going to eat?’ or ‘What are we going to drink?’ or ‘What are we going to wear?’

For the [pagan] Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; [but do not worry,] for your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

But first and most importantly seek (aim at, strive after) His kingdom and His righteousness [His way of doing and being right—the attitude and character of God], and all these things will be given to you also.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:25-34 (Amplified version)

smiley I don't need to explain further to you how he walked on stormy seas even though people were terrified.

We can all walk on water, you don't need special powers to perform miracles. Am not saying we should live without getting a career or preparing for the future. He didn't say don't prepare, he said don't worry about the future outcome of your preparations, do what it is you have to do today (each day has it's own trouble). Imagine how all our lives will be like if we attempted things not worrying if we will fail or not, or if it's right or wrong. Imagine the endless possibilities smiley

Off course you know am not preaching to you consider it a normal story.

(1) (Reply)

Stay In My Heart {a Poem} So Lovely / Feminism / Poverty Is A Coward, Since I Could Conquer It; You Can Too.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.