Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake (2545 Views)

Made In Nigeria Rice Floods Shoprite / "I Have Been Eating Plastic Rice For 2 Months; Be Careful" - Lady Cries Out / Tips On How To Identify Plastic Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by edunwablog: 6:59am On Nov 17, 2016
AMIDST growing public concern over the apparent avalanche of plastic rice into Nigerian market and with the Federal Government’s announcement of imminent famine next year coupled with Nigeria’s craze for imported goods, experts have raised alarm of possible flooding of the Nigerian market with harmful “plastic rice.” The world was alerted of the industrial manufacture of rice by Chinese firms since 2011. In a report by the Korean Times on the growing menace, the newspaper said, “China famous for having all, making all, has now been reported to have made rice out of plastic and has distributed it. “The Korean-language Weekly Hong Kong in Hong Kong quoted Singapore media that “Fake rice made out of plastic is massively sold on the Chinese market. According to the report, some
distributors are selling fake rice in Taiyuan, Shaanxi Province, and this rice is a mixture of potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic. “This ‘plastic rice’ is made by forming potatoes and sweet potatoes into rice-like shape, then adding industrial synthetic resins,” said a food expert. “Since the rice is different from normal rice, it is hard like stone even when cooked. Moreover, the synthetic resin in it is very harmful to the human body.” One Chinese restaurant association official warns that eating three bowls of ‘plastic rice’ is the same as eating one vinyl bag. He added that since the rice is very dangerous, there would be strict investigation on the rice factory. But Nigerians can determine if the rice they have is genuine or not by following any of the simple tests: Water test: Pour a tablespoon of raw rice into a glass filled with cold water and mix vigorously. If the rice falls to the bottom of the glass, everything is fine; if on the contrary it floats on the surface, be vigilant because it surely contains plastic! Fire test: Using a lighter and a match, burn a handful of rice; if it catches fire and smells of burnt plastic, you know what to do! Do not eat it! Mortar and pestle test: When molding a few grains of rice with a mortar and pestle, the powder should be quite white. For artificial rice, you will notice a yellow discoloration instead. Mold test: If you want to be sure that you do not risk anything with your cooked rice, put a small amount into a tupperware and leave it in a warm place. In a few days, mold will have to appear; otherwise it is that your rice is artificial.
More at http://www.akelicious.com/2016/11/danger-plastic-rice-floods-nigeria.html?m=1

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Psalmpy(m): 7:00am On Nov 17, 2016
S
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2016
Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Immatex(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2016
Plastic rice. China-home of counterfeits.

This won't sell in Nigeria. We are wiser.
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by AWONEYAN(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2016
Please make our own original non plastic rice available and affordable....not to just warn us

I have seen many chats on this plastic rice noise. And I asked how many of us have time to do the fire,mould and water test,on rice......or when I want to buy rice from eatery, I will asked for their store to check....

If Nafdac and other safety agencies have failed , tell us so we shall know that we are on our own.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by LoveDecay(m): 7:09am On Nov 17, 2016
Guess whose importing it
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Nobody: 2:48am On Nov 23, 2016
Lalasticalala!!!!
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by EHI9ICE(m): 10:12am On Nov 23, 2016
Since Nigeria as a nation (at present ) can't be trusted with the verification of what is being import -be it Counterfeit or Original,Only God Almighty, who saved us from the Ebola scourge will save us from this one too.
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Rubyventures: 11:03am On Nov 23, 2016
AWONEYAN:
Please make our own original non plastic rice available and affordable....not to just warn us

I have seen many chats on this plastic rice noise. And I asked how many of us have time to do the fire,mould and water test,on rice......or when I want to buy rice from eatery, I will asked for their store to check....

If Nafdac and other safety agencies have failed , tell us so we shall know that we are on our own.

Nigerians have been on their own since time immemorial. The onus is on the buyer of goods to check.

The meat we buy in the market is not checked
The drinks we buy is not checked
we are at the mercy of God.

I will advise every one to have a small garden plant a few things, breed a few chickens, a couple of goats, pigs etc.

The truth is what ever you buy in the big city markets is full of chemicals except you go to the village markets on their market days.

1 Like

Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by sweetilicious(f): 8:17pm On Nov 24, 2016
I heard this in the office today but couldn't believe it was possible. Nawao! Someone will now make money but to eat good and healthy food devoid of chemical substance that causes deadly diseases will now be problem. But wait, is this not the china that i long to visit?
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Homeyfav: 9:19am On Apr 03, 2019
Deadly Rice – Smuggled Into Nigeria Inside Car Bonnet

https://www.ricedepot.ng/deadly-rice-smuggled-nigeria-car-bonnet/
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2019
Na wa
Re: Plastic Rice Floods Nigeria, Experts Explain Tests To Detect Fake by Ajibaba101(m): 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2019
see list of food that can boost your brain capacity https://explicitsuccess.com/brain-food-for-studying/

(1) (Reply)

Local Nigerian Dishes On Mocality Deals For Just 500 Naira / How Much Is Cooking Oil Sold In Your Area?? / Graphic! Very Graphic!!. Very Very Nasty!! See Wetin Chinese Dey Eat For Wuhan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.