Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Avoid Common Driving Errors - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Avoid Common Driving Errors (17759 Views)

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / 6 Most Common Driving Habits That May Cause You An Accident / Stay Away From 6 Most Common Driving Habits If You Don't Wanna Get Accidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by NemzySeries(m): 7:44am On Jan 13, 2017
MyMouth:
Always look at ur side mirror before turning a bend even after putting on ur indicator. Some drivers expecially okada no dey look out for indicators
dos ones are naturally unrepentant 2 legged annoying beings

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by hardbody: 7:48am On Jan 13, 2017
Point 4 above is so apt. I always hold the view that accidents don't just happen, they are caused, either by action or inaction. Whatever happens while you are driving, if you maintain a normal speed, remain alert and can take split seconds decision, chances are very high that you can manage whatever the road throws at you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by dallyemmy: 7:48am On Jan 13, 2017
5.Never take alcohol or any of such stimulants because they reduce your alertness a great deal. Alcohol and stimulants relax the body and reduces concentration.

Sometimes when you take heavy food you would notice that your alertness has reduced a great deal also!

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by AareOgbuefi: 8:03am On Jan 13, 2017
Finally a sensible topic worth reading! Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by mejai(m): 8:13am On Jan 13, 2017
12; if on a long trip, leave banana and groundnut alone. It reduces alertness.

13; If d person sitting in front with u n.a. heavy sleeper...... kindly stop and ask him to get something for u. zoom off once he/she leaves d car. (dey will infect u with sleep o) grin

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by femi4: 8:15am On Jan 13, 2017
agbajesaid:
My car engine wouldn't have knocked if i'd followed Rule 9. Still pains me because it's gross carelessness
lol....you mean your engine worked on little or no oil
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by eaglechild: 8:15am On Jan 13, 2017
If a vehicle is trying to overtake one on a single lane and is in a compromising position, it is safer to slow down and let it, especially if you notice an oncoming vehicle. (No matter how annoying the overtaking driver is).

Also same applies to the oncoming vehicle who should slow down.

Refusal to do so is a common cause of fatal head on collisions which a simple ego break can prevent.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by agbajesaid(m): 8:21am On Jan 13, 2017
femi4:
lol....you mean your engine worked on little or no oil
no water in the radiator & i didn't check the temperature guage on the dashboard. I would have noticed if not for the chit chat i was having with the ladies in the car. Well, when the engine knocked, we were towed together.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by femi4: 8:23am On Jan 13, 2017
agbajesaid:
no water in the radiator & i didn't check the temperature guage on the dashboard. I would have noticed if not for the chit chat i was having with the ladies in the car. Well, when the engine knocked, we were towed together.
lmao
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by bishopkay: 8:29am On Jan 13, 2017
If I may add, your right side mirrors should be your friend if you drive in an area with a high concentration of okada and keke. Especially in a hostile and impatient city like warri and Ughelli in Delta State.

Those niggas overtake from anywhere and everywhere. And if you are not careful, you may knock someone down before u know it
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by professore(m): 8:52am On Jan 13, 2017
Nice tips.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by freshbear(m): 9:31am On Jan 13, 2017
merrywheels:
Driving is an art mastered overtime through experience and hardwork. When you begin to drive professionally,then you will understand better. And there are ways if such art is wrongly applied, will result to fatality or death.
So today we are going to learn how not to abuse that art by sticking to the rules.
Rule number :

1. Never overtake at a bend. It is the surest way to get involved in a head on collision. No matter how expert you think you are,you will only have about 2 seconds to respond to the shock of seeing a vehicle right before you. So don't!

2.Always underestimate the driver in front of you and the driver behind you,that way you will respond better to their mistakes if any.And if non,thank God!

3.Have accurate knowledge of your cars acceleration and braking power. It helps you overtake swiftly and let's you know from where to begin applying your brakes when necessary. Such knowledge is very important.

4.To be a professional driver you must be a very fast thinker and sharp initiator. Several situations which have caused fatal accidents presented options to the driver involved and he must choose one.But choosing the wrong option results in an accident. So be alert!

5.Never take alcohol or any such stimulants cause they reduce your alertness a great deal. Alcohol and stimulants relax the body and reduces concentration.

6.Playing loud music isn't wise because you don't hear what's going on in and around your car. And we know this is very necessary for a smooth journey,so please reduce the sound of that music and save a life.

7.Always indicate the direction you want to go with your trafficators and do so on time to warn the driver behind you and the driver on the other side of the intersection.

8. Make any conversation brief. As conversations while driving hinders concentration. So stop the Chit chat unless you are just on cruise mode.

9.View your dash board indicators every five minutes and view your mirrors as often as possible. View attentively while driving for any mechanical or technical faults as this helps salvage a situation which can lead to engine knock or an accident due to faulty brakes.

10. Never overspeed, and stop praising your driving skill as a driver because many have gone this way.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by streetzdreamz(m): 10:06am On Jan 13, 2017
nice piece op, number 6 caused a crash two days ago which claimed a passengers life.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by Kakamorufu(m): 10:12am On Jan 13, 2017
ofemigeorge:
Stimulant.. ...i took a sleeping drug overnight. Didn't know it was still in me. Woke up and drove to see a friend. The panel beater chop my money that day.
Eyah. sorry o
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by greggng: 10:16am On Jan 13, 2017
iriferi:

Only horn for Naija ooo, come Australia come horn make you get fine na. It's been long I heard drivers horn for here. Horn at your own perile

Bros u fit help me find one oyibo wey fit come marry me for here so that I go get paper. I wan escape poverty pls help. Pls add me on whatsapp 08062593234
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by koolkamzzy(m): 10:30am On Jan 13, 2017
Mhen same mistake I made yesterday.. My Check-engine light came on 2 mins into the drive but I was rushing to go out and ignored it...No Water in the Radiator... Gasket Burnt, Radiator gone, couldn't get to where I was rushing to and almost got towed by this Local Govt tout... Gonna Cost me 50K this recession January. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

agbajesaid:
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by davit: 10:38am On Jan 13, 2017
I still wonder why Nigerians call "indicators" "trafficators"! No word as" trafficators" or trafficate in English.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by agbajesaid(m): 11:02am On Jan 13, 2017
koolkamzzy:
Mhen same mistake I made yesterday.. My Check-engine light came on 2 mins into the drive but I was rushing to go out and ignored it...No Water in the Radiator... Gasket Burnt, Radiator gone, couldn't get to where I was rushing to and almost got towed by this Local Govt tout... Gonna Cost me 50K this recession January. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

sebi your own was gasket, mine was worse. 3 of the 4 piston melted into the engine. I had to change the whole engine.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 13, 2017
@merrywheels I was driving one day and the car switched off while I was in control. Wen I notice the car was off I tried to use the brake but It was not working at all. I was in panic mode until I decided to use gear to stop the car. Why did this happen? I don't know how to driver cause nobody teach me, I just sabi am by mysef.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by koolkamzzy(m): 12:07pm On Jan 13, 2017
Chai! They will be working on my engine today, I hope it doesn't get worst. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

agbajesaid:
sebi your own was gasket, mine was worse. 3 of the 4 piston melted into the engine. I had to change the whole engine.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
many driver are guilty of 7-10
They Dont Even Know What The Instrument Cluster Is, How To read it or use their mirrors.
women use car mirrors for make up.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 13, 2017
agbajesaid:
instead of checking ur car temp u were checking a woman's breast.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by agbajesaid(m): 12:39pm On Jan 13, 2017
kaeforum:

instead of checking ur car temp u were checking a woman's breast.
how u take know. You are a soothsayer

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by blunt2dcore(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2017
davit:
I still wonder why Nigerians call "indicators" "trafficators"! No word as" trafficators" or trafficate in English.

Are you using a village dictionary? Check this out!

Trafficator: (plural trafficators)

1.A blinking light on a motor vehicle that indicates the direction that it is about to turn

2.A semaphore device with a steady light that served the same purpose on early vehicles

synonyms
blinker (informal)
directional
directional signal
indicator (British, Australian)
turn indicator
turn signal (mostly US)

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by rapthugx(m): 4:21pm On Jan 13, 2017
davit:

Not correct.

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by shotuns: 12:47am On Jan 15, 2017
In addition to that, always look over your shoulder to cover your blind spot, there are situations where you can't see the coming vehicle even with your side mirror. Better be safe than sorry.

Kiakia:
Some keke drivers do not even notice the trafficator or indicator lights. Ditto for some vehicle drivers. It is advisable to look at the side mirror before turning a bend even when the indicator light is on. Naija drivers sha!
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by merrywheels(m): 3:20pm On Jan 29, 2018
Happy new year people !
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by merrywheels(m): 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
Read up!
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by fleksy: 8:53pm On Apr 21, 2018
For all your car mechanical challenges....call me on 08025438389

I offer free consultation. I value helping people and providing solutions.that call would save you a lot cost-wise before repairs

I am based in Gbagada Lagos.
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by merrywheels(m): 6:59am On Apr 23, 2018
Go!!
Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by Originalsly: 8:11am On Apr 23, 2018
Nice write up.Being a professional driver.....I would like to add distractive driving...texting/reading texts and using hand held phones are like the worse....the driver becomes a zombie behind the wheel...all.caught up in what he is texting/reading....or in the call... like totally unaware of what is going on on the road.
On looking in the rear view mirrors before overtaking....a driver should really be glancing in the mirrors as often as possible....he should be like streaming the traffic behind him... if he has to overtake...or make an emergency change of lane...he'll already know if it is safe.
On knowing your braking power..... always....always consider the braking power of the vehicle infront and behind you....the one infront. ..if a newer model car than yours...it will more likely have a shorter stopping distance...keep back some more. The one behind you...if it's an older car...a truck..danfo...it will more likely have a longer stopping distance...give enough warning that you are braking...do not stop sharply if you don't want your vehicle be smashed in the back.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Common Driving Errors by merrywheels(m): 6:55pm On May 26, 2018
Originalsly:
Nice write up.Being a professional driver.....I would like to add distractive driving...texting/reading texts and using hand held phones are like the worse....the driver becomes a zombie behind the wheel...all.caught up in what he is texting/reading....or in the call... like totally unaware of what is going on on the road.
On looking in the rear view mirrors before overtaking....a driver should really be glancing in the mirrors as often as possible....he should be like streaming the traffic behind him... if he has to overtake...or make an emergency change of lane...he'll already know if it is safe.
On knowing your braking power..... always....always consider the braking power of the vehicle infront and behind you....the one infront. ..if a newer model car than yours...it will more likely have a shorter stopping distance...keep back some more. The one behind you...if it's an older car...a truck..danfo...it will more likely have a longer stopping distance...give enough warning that you are braking...do not stop sharply if you don't want your vehicle be smashed in the back.
lovely

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Has The Most Expensive Private Jet In Nigeria? / Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / Between Accord V6 EX-L And C230 2007 Model Sport Sedan: Pls Advise...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.