Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings (30384 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Mechanics Decry Low Patronage As Motorists Abandon Vehicles / US Police Officers Give Motorists N57,000 Each As Christmas Gift / Racing A 2014 Highlander With A mercedes Cls550. Toyotas Need To Know Their Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by AutoJoshNIG: 2:50pm On Mar 20, 2019
Road traffic signs serve several purposes: some road signs are placed on roads to point out directions to motorists; some are placed there to ensure the safety of motorists and pedestrians; some are there to give us an idea of what to expect ahead of us, etc.

Technically, road signs are traffic languages. They communicate specific messages to motorists and pedestrians.

Every motorist – and in some cases, pedestrians – are expected to have an understanding of what these signs represent.

It is because of this that the teaching of road traffic signs and their meanings are an essential topic taught at driving schools. Unfortunately, most motorists in Nigeria did not pass through formal driving schools.

Road signs are typically represented as symbols or annotations. In Nigeria, there is an enormous lack of understanding of what these symbols used in road signs represent. And as such, it is very common in Nigeria for the authorities in charge of producing road signs to produce road signs with symbols together with their meanings spelt out on them.

Anyway, Autojosh presents an explanation of 15 common road signs that most Nigerian motorists do not know their meanings.

PED Xing

This sign is one of the most confusing road signs that motorists come across in Nigeria. However, it is better understood when represented in its pictorial form. It actually means, “Pedestrian crossing”. This sign is often placed ahead of or near zebra crossings.

No Entry/ Do Not Enter

This sign is used to indicate that there is no entry for vehicular traffic. It is placed at the exit of some roads to inform motorist that they cannot drive into that road. It is often used at intersections to roads with one-way traffic.

No Stopping

A ‘No Stopping’ sign instructs motorists to keep moving and must not stop at any time, not for a minute, not for a second, not for a jiffy, on the road or in an area to which the ‘No Stopping’ sign applies.

Turn On Red

This sign is placed at intersections where there are traffic lights. This sign generally permits vehicles to make a right turn even when the traffic light is on red. In other words, this sign gives permission to vehicles to turn into the next junction on the right nearer to them, even when the traffic light is showing a red signal and without having to wait for a green signal.

Sharp Deviation of Route or “Chevron” Sign

The chevron sign is positioned to warn motorist of a sudden change in traffic direction. That is, they are positioned at places where traffic makes a sudden change in its direction, such as bends in the road or at a roundabout. The chevron pattern pointing in the direction that traffic has to turn.

No Waiting

Just like the “No Stopping” sign, this sign is placed along roads or streets to instruct drivers to keep driving or keep their vehicles in motion and not to stop. The difference is that, this signs allows a motorist to stop – to drop off or pick up a passenger, etc. Staying longer than necessary can be viewed as “waiting” or violation of the No Waiting instruction.

No Overtaking

This sign is typically placed on two-way roads that are too narrow or are too risky for vehicles to attempt to overtake vehicles ahead of them. They are also placed at bends, dips in the road or where there are trees.

Lane Merge Left

This sign warns motorist that the lane that they are on narrows as they drive ahead. And such narrow end merges with a parallel lane to the left.

Lane Merge Right

This sign warns motorist that the lane that they are on narrows as they drive ahead or as it ends. And such narrow end merges with a parallel lane to the right.

Bumps Ahead

This sign is used to warn motorists that there is a bump ahead or an uneven road surface on the road. This warning is intended to get motorists to reduce their speeds at certain points.

Narrow Bridge Ahead

This sign is placed ahead of a location where there is a narrow bridge. This sign is intended to get motorists to reduce their speed and drive cautiously as they approach the bridge.

Keep Right

This sign instructs motorists to keep to the right side of a two-way road. Driving into the left side of the road is a violation of this traffic instruction.

Keep Left

This sign instructs motorists to keep to the left side of a two-way road. Driving into the right side of the road is a violation of this traffic instruction.

Dangerous Turn Right

This sign warns motorists that the road ahead is about to turn sharply in the direction of the arrow, in this case, to the right.

Dangerous Turn Left

This sign warns motorists that the road ahead is about to turn sharply in the direction of the arrow, in this case, to the left.

Pass Either Way

This sign informs motorists that they can pass either side of a diving road to reach the same destination or different directions.

See more Road Signs HERE

Source:

https://autojosh.com/18-common-road-signs-that-most-motorists-in-nigeria-dont-know-their-meanings/

21 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Realtord43: 3:52pm On Mar 20, 2019
I WILL SOON BUY BENZ FOR AutojoshNIG cool

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by hubtiva: 4:11pm On Mar 20, 2019

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by pat077: 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2019
good information

10 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Timekeeper: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
.... Wetin concern Igbo man with road sign?

Anywhere belle face

One love brothers

5 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
Turn on red ... It's always confusing. Most times our traffic light keeps blinking red. Me thinking it's a faulty traffic light. All I got do is stop and pull up my hand brake.. grin
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Richdad50(m): 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
You don't find AutoJoshNIG in comment section but in OPs just as you will never find me in Ops but in comment section. A friend once said that may the day never come where he will leave the Bar to Bench (Lawyer to Judge).

AutoJoshNIG have been nothing short of inspiring. A man who painstakingly search for important information just for you and I. Thank you.

Richdad

23 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Eberex(m): 5:33pm On Mar 20, 2019
This made front page a couple of months ago na. Abi are there no new posts again on NL?

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by durubennie(m): 5:34pm On Mar 20, 2019
Good to know
Many of us are ignorant about these signs

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Topmaike007(m): 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
Good from Autojosh

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Drakkernoir: 5:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
I really do like this op's posts...

Not the normal unnecessary crap we see here daily undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by papazizii(m): 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2019
Educative

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by femi4: 5:37pm On Mar 20, 2019
Who brought this back to fp
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by jice(m): 5:37pm On Mar 20, 2019
Educating8

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by 175(m): 5:38pm On Mar 20, 2019
Ortu-josh so no zebra crossing for 80% of Nairalanders wey dey use Leggediz benz 200? shocked
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2019
Okay.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE.
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by pacespot(m): 5:50pm On Mar 20, 2019
cool,
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by careytommy37(m): 5:50pm On Mar 20, 2019
Instead of government to do good roads, they will do all manner of rubbish and then attach all signs for us to learn.
Nonsense and bubu angry
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by datola: 6:02pm On Mar 20, 2019
This was on the front page the other day.

Not bad shape.
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by goslowgoslow(m): 6:13pm On Mar 20, 2019
How many of these road signs are in Nigeria?
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by lloydpras: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2019
That speed bump sign is needed at that ikoyi Bridge exit. That bump shattered my steering rack.. I was on 70 before sighting it.. Na 40k I use fix am. angry
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Mentorme: 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2019
This is the kind of thing I love reading here.
Something that will save lives and cost.

2 Likes

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:17pm On Mar 20, 2019
Great info. Thanks. Informative threads like this don't ever get to 2 pages. Very unfortunate. However, a thread on Tonto dick decay normal ranting of how she has been housing and feeding her ex-husband go reach 30 pages.

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by ruggedtimi(m): 6:23pm On Mar 20, 2019
nice one op

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 20, 2019
Please I don't need money from you,!!!!

I Have been nominated for the OOU campus Rookie if the year!!!
Please guys I really need to take this Glory!!!!

*Oou Mac awards voting link for the 2nd edition*

Open your browsers

*sips drink*

Kindly open the link above �� and vote *SamRocker* for The *Rookie of the year*.

http:///OOUMACVOTING
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by phorget(m): 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2019
beautiful piece

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by steve6: 7:28pm On Mar 20, 2019
Nice !

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by fkj950ax(m): 7:29pm On Mar 20, 2019
@AutoJoshNIG
I totally disagree with your assertion these signs aren't know by "most motorist" in Nigeria.
These signs are very basic.
If someone as versed in the Auto Industry as you believe this to be so, then there is a need to declare state of emergency on Nigerian roads this evening
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2019
Mods, for goodness sake, how many times will this guy's post make FP? Same post at different times angry

Feb 21, Travel Section: https://www.nairaland.com/5037904/18-common-road-signs-most#75961557
Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by ugotex85: 7:54pm On Mar 20, 2019
Thanks Autojosh, I'm a big fan. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings by Clemzyluvlyson(m): 8:18pm On Mar 20, 2019
Eberex:
This made front page a couple of months ago na. Abi are there no new posts again on NL?
one cold bottle of stout 4 u my man. say sometyn else @ Op. u dey try sha.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Toyota Highlander Goes Off After A Refill / See The Audi Q3 Sportback 2020 Which Offers More Style In Less Space / Picture Of A $1.3m Bugatti Veyron In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.