Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Photo Of The Girl Living In Someone Else’s Skin After Suffering Serious Burns - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of The Girl Living In Someone Else’s Skin After Suffering Serious Burns (716 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Recreates Photo Of 4th Ooni Who Was Transformed Into A Deity / Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Girl Living In Someone Else’s Skin After Suffering Serious Burns by muyi001: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2016
A teenager who suffered severe burns has been given her life back after doctors helped patched half of her body using skin from deceased donors.

Dailymail reports that Alexandra Hollingsworth, 18, caught fire after taking part in a dangerous game which involved igniting alcohol.

Sustaining burns to 52 per cent of her body, the woman from Memphis, has had more than 20 operations to help her recover. So far, doctors have done skin grafts on her elbows, legs, thighs, back, arms and stomach, using flesh from her legs. While skin from cadavers – decellularised dermis – was used on her chest.
Alexander-Hollingsworth-2

She said: ‘At first, it was weird because it was much darker than my skin tone but my body’s not rejecting it and I don’t think about it unless someone asks.
‘I have no idea who the donor is, I woke up and it was on my chest.
‘I’m really grateful I was able to get that because I needed it and I’m happy that my body accepted it.’
Alexander-Hollingsworth-3

How the fire incident happened
Miss Hollingsworth’s life changed forever in July 2010. She was playing with alcohol and matches with her brother David and cousin Benjamin at home while her mother was at work.

Some of their friends had shown them how to ignite a small flame, which previously they had managed to put out. But this time it got out of hand as there was a sudden explosion, shortly before she was engulfed by a ‘hot, orange light’. Frozen in shock, she heard a high-pitched ringing sound and realised she was on fire.
She ran into her mother’s room to remove her trousers and tried to take her shirt off, but was scared of it burning her face.

Her cousin – who escaped with no injuries – and brother then smothered her in a blanket to extinguish the flames – as her brother also suffered burns.
Miss Hollingsworth said: ‘The entire house was covered in soot and smoke and the floor of my mum’s room had caved in. I felt like my skin and eyelids were melting.
‘As we ran out of the house, I caught my reflection in the mirror. My arms were in shreds and skin was hanging off me.’
For three years, she suffered with terrifying nightmares, which only stopped once her hair began to grow back and she slowly started feeling more like her old self.
Alexander-Hollingsworth-4

Complete the story and see the picture of her body here http://muyigist.com/2016/11/15/end-time-meet-the-girl-living-in-someone-elses-skin-after-suffering-serious-burns-photos/

Source www.muyigist.com
Re: Photo Of The Girl Living In Someone Else’s Skin After Suffering Serious Burns by Collenshy2020(m): 12:03pm On Nov 17, 2016
Re: Photo Of The Girl Living In Someone Else’s Skin After Suffering Serious Burns by Sirfrederick(m): 12:19pm On Nov 17, 2016
Pictures na

(1) (Reply)

Who Does This Masquerade Resemble? / . / Obasanjo, Tinubu, Adenuga, Others To Honour Oluwo’s 50th Birthday On Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.