Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World (1486 Views)

What Is The Strangest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You? / Top 10 Highest Currencies In The World In 2019 / 15 Strangest Addictions That Are Hard To Believe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:18am On Nov 18, 2016
Whilst trying to read on why the Naira is doing so poorly, I came across some really strange currencies.

I hope you find this informative
Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:23am On Nov 18, 2016
1. Zimbabwe dollars

Zimbabweans exchange bank accounts of up to 175 quadrillion (175,000,000,000,000,000) Zimbabwean dollars for five US dollars.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:24am On Nov 18, 2016
No, this is not a bank robbery. This man needs to carry this much cash to do grocery shopping.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:25am On Nov 18, 2016
A loaf of bread in August, 2006 cost Z$45,000 in Zimbabwe. Two years later in March, 2008, the same loaf of bread cost Z$10 million in Zimbabwe.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:26am On Nov 18, 2016
This Zimbabwean man carrying his pregnant wife to a nearby doctor’s office on a wheelbarrow full of cash for the consultation fee. Looks like true love to me. wink

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:29am On Nov 18, 2016
2. Bottle caps

Umm Yes. In 2005, a brewery in Cameroon started printing prize offers under beer bottle caps to boost sales.

Competitors followed suit until eventually, for the price of one beer, you were almost guaranteed to win anything from another beer to a sports car. People then started using their bottle caps to pay their taxi fares. Taxi drivers used them to bribe the traffic police. Pretty soon they became a small part of the local economy.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:32am On Nov 18, 2016
3. The Quid

Scientists from the National Space Centre and the University of Leicester have designed the QUID, short for Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination, to be used as a space-currency. We hear exchange rates are out-of-this-world.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:43am On Nov 18, 2016
4. Somalian coloured coins

Somalia has a tradition of producing colourful and oddly-shaped coins of all sorts, from guitars to animals, motorbikes and foreign flags.

Would you pay for one of these? Or is it silly money?

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:48am On Nov 18, 2016
5. Zairean zaire
What do you do when the dictator of your country, whose face appears on all the banknotes, has been overthrown and driven to exile? Well, this was the dilemma that faced Zaire, the country now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 1997.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by unofficial(m): 4:49am On Nov 18, 2016
After Joseph Mobutu’s totalitarian regime was overthrown, the country’s new government came up with an ingenious (but slapdash) solution – they simply cut Mobutu’s face out of all the notes, leaving nothing but a gaping hole when his head should be! Brilliant, eh?

Cut the face out and carry on. Job done.

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by eph12(m): 5:00am On Nov 18, 2016
For once I'm thankful that I am a Nigerian
Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by breakingbad(m): 5:00am On Nov 18, 2016
hahahaha they had to save cost and save face

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by GeneralB: 5:44am On Nov 18, 2016
Zimbabweans exchange bank accounts of up to 175 quadrillion (175,000,000,000,000,000) Zimbabwean dollars for five US dollars.
Now this is very serious... Even with all the gold in Zimbabwe shocked Now I know there is something wrong with we Africans, may God help us with leaders who think outside the box
Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by southernbelle(f): 5:45am On Nov 18, 2016
Interesting. But the Zimbabwean dollars remains the most ridiculous for me. cheesy
Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 18, 2016
cheesy Still waiting for what Buhari would do with our currency.
He hasn't thought about it yet, wait till he sees this post cheesy
Re: Some Of The Strangest Currencies In The World by Rockyrascal(m): 2:44pm On Nov 18, 2016
unofficial:
1. Zimbabwe dollars

see the heavy rocks in thecurrency grin

(1) (Reply)

. / Vacancy Vacancy Vacancy / Telling A Great African Story With Powerful Illustrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.