Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

My Worst Enemy Is My Angel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Worst Enemy Is My Angel (646 Views)

The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Friendlike Enemy: Story By Amponsem Akosua / My Father My Worst Enemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Worst Enemy Is My Angel by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
It was a lovely day in Arulogun, the weather was neither hot nor cold as the breeze coming out of the forest neutralised the energy coming from the Sun. It was the type of weather Kike called perfect. The leaves danced to the order of the wind as the branches moved to and fro to the call of nature. The birds chased one another singing in different tongues to the beat of the clashing branches and leaves. Really a perfect day it was in Arulogun.
It was another market day when the village played host to other surrounding villages. The village market was about the biggest when compared to the market squares of the other villages and the friendly nature of the people of Arulogun made their market days the choice of people from far and near. The people were hard-working, both old and young and they were mainly farmers. Arulogun was a pride of its people. History has it that the founder was a brave warrior and farmer. Ajala Arulogun bi eefin. The one who conquered seven villages in seven days with just seven co-warriors.
Kike dropped the book she had been reading for the past two hours, it was a novel on a true life story of a poor ophan girl who was betrayed by her people but saved by her dog. She was so engulfed in reading that she did not know when her mother left for the market. She sat up at the edge of the bed and it suddenly occurred to her that she needed to fill the empty drinking pots at the corner of the passage. “Olamide” she called her brother. “Olamide” she called again and there was no answer, the house was quiet and it didn’t look like anyone was around. All she could hear was the bleeting of goats at the back yard. She stood up and walked out of the room to the passage. “Mama” She called her mother believing she must be at the kitchen shed behind the house. “Mamaa “ She called again and came out from the passage door to the backyard. But she saw no one except the goats and the hens eating . She decided to call her brother again “Olamideeeeee” this time louder and stretched.
Olamide was ten years younger. Their parents were worried after their first child's second birthday as they were eager to have another child and Mama Kike could not conceive. They had visited every herbalist in the village and had spent a huge amount of money every harvest time consulting spiritualists all in the bid to be pregnant again. Mama Kike had suggested making sacrifice to the Oleyo river goddess as they did earlier in their marriage when she was barren for three years into the marriage but her husband declined because it was a female child the goddess gave them and he had always wanted a male child. But in the nineth year after Kike's birth when Mama Kike became pregnant again without consulting any herbalist or spiritualist it was a bundle of joy for the family and Baba Kike would not stop praying for the pregnancy to produce a male child. Every morning he would place his hand on the stomach of the wife and mumble words that only him alone could hear. And after nine months when a baby boy was delivered into the family, his joy knew no bound as he would not stop showering gifts on his wife every now and then and like he always said “ the family name is supposed to be kept alive and that could only happen through a male child.
Kike walked towards the kitchen-shed and opened the pot on the local stove. She discovered that her mother had cooked yam before going out. As she stood up she heard some movement behind her and turned and there was her brother coming. “Olamide where have you been” she asked with a frown. “I went to see Kola we went to check our traps in the bush” Olamide replied looking at his sister curiously. “You don’t read your books these day” She said “ And it has been play and hunting since the holiday started “ she added “Oh but it does not stop me from topping my class as usual” Olamide replied scornfully with a little smile at the corner of his cheek. “ Don’t worry big sister I will start reading when schools resume, holiday means rest and play and that’s what I'm doing “ he said laughing. He moved some steps towards his sister and started singing and clapping “rest and play, rest and play” and before he could finish singing the third rest and play, Kike raised her hand wanting to smack him with it but he moved swiftly away and they both burst into laughter. “If I come back and meet you resting and playing you will find yourself to blame” Kike said with a smile “ Ok I have heard you” Olamide replied moving towards the door. “ Rest and play, rest and play “ Kike kept grumbling as she walked away mimicking her brother making funny faces. She moved towards the shed and take a bucket of water and turned back and asked “ where is mama” Olamide was now at the door, he stopped turned and looked at his sister curiously “ Today is the market day for God’s sake. She has gone to the market, didn’t you hear her when she was announcing her departure “ Olamide queried and hissed “ oh, you were busy reading “ he added with a smile and entered the house. Kike gave her brother a hard look and turned towards the foot path that leads out of their compound and said aloud “ leave my yarm in the pot after taking yours, ok? I’m going to the river to fetch water” she walked away towards the foot path.
The love between Kikelomo and her brother was so strong that their parents could count the times they had serious quarrels because they hardly had misunderstanding but often times teased eached and pulled each other’s legs with manners of jokes. She, because of the wide age gap between them had always pampered him like her baby.
As Kikelomo walked towards the foot path that leads out of her compound, she heard someone called her and she turned and and saw her friends Ashake and Bimpe with water pots on their heads coming towards her. “You did not even bother to come and call us to go to the river together “ Bimpe said acting like she was angry. “ Oh sorry my friends, but I thought you said the pots in your houses were full to the brim yesterday evening, so I thought you would not need to fetch water today” Kike replied with and an apologetic smile “ Yes you know today is the market day, we received visitors from Irele yesternight so the water finished so quickly “ Bimpe replied “ Same with us too” Ashake added as they both walked towards Kike. “ Then let us go together and I am happy now that I’m not going alone” Kike said smiling as the three started chatting and giggling towards the river.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Enemy Is My Angel by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 20, 2016
Chapter 2
River Oleyo had been the source of drinking water for the people of Arulogun village for ages, it was not the only river in the land but it's cristal clear water made it the choice of all and sundry, may be because it is forbidden for anyone to fish in it's waters except once a year after the sacrifice and the people were also forbidden to wash by it banks. There is a legend that says there is a spirit that lives in it and at a particular time of the year sacrifice was made to appease the spirit to continue to make the water clean and not dry. The People also believed that the river goddess has power to give the barren children. So river Oleyo was a respected River of all the rivers in the land.
The ladies on their way to the river continued chatting and Laughing at every joke each of them cracked. Bimpe was the funniest, she could create jokes from virtually everything. She was tall,/light in complexion and slender. She had a set of teeth that could melt the hardest heart when ever she smiled. She was found of teasing Ashake because of her height. Ashake was the shortest among the trio, dark in complexion, robust and quiet. She was the most brilliant among them when it comes to academics.
As they walked through the narrow path of the bush, they met people and they greeted them as the custom of their village.Most of the people they met were elderly and were mostly going to the farm or coming from the farm. They were getting close to the river when a young man walked pass them going towards the same direction they were going but he seemed to be going to the farm by the reason of the hoe and cutlass he was holding. He greeted them and they answered. He had moved some metres away when Bimpe commented “ Oh what a handsome man that is” “ Yes o my type of man, tall, dark, fine face and..” “ Ah aah enough of these” Ashake said sharply not allowing Kike to finish her comment. “ You had better called him and tell him that the two of you have fallen for him before he goes too far” Ashake concluded. “ Eeehn eewo ori mi ma je, me to woo a man? That’s unladylike now” Kike said with a grin. “ Then stop all the sweet words of admiration “ Ashake replied. Kike and Bimpe looked at each other and Bimpe started making funny faces. “ And whats the meaning of that” Ashake questioned facing Bimpe. “ Nothing, only that I’m beginning to suspect that it’s like Kike said your mind and you don’t like that' Bimpe said still making funny faces, Ashake slapped her on the shoulder and the three of them burst into laughter.
Kunle could hear the ladies laughing, though he had walked meters away from them because his steps were faster than theirs but he wonders what could be so funny that their voices echored through the jungle like a roar of lions on rampage. But suddenly, there was a scream and the laughter stopped. He took a sharp turn backwards to see what was wrong and he saw one of the girls on the ground and the other two Shouting “ Snake, snake a big snake “ Kunle ran back to the ladies, he got to the spot and Kike was bleeding on her left leg. Kunle knelt down remembering the first aid lesson learned at school. He dropped his cutlass and hoe and put his mouth on the bleeding spot and sucked out blood and spat on the ground. He did this about four times and he unwrapped his cutlass handle and use the rag to tie the upper part of the bleeding spot on Kike’s leg to stop the blood flow from the bitten leg to the other part of the body, per adventure there was still some venom in the bitten leg. He decided to abort his trip to the farm, he helped the girl up and followed the ladies back to the village. “ Don’t worry my father has a potent antidote “ Kunle said assuring the ladies as they followed him back home. Kike continued sobbing on his shoulder and Bimpe and Ashake carried their pots with the young man’s cutlass and hoe in Bimpe's pot and they both chorused “Pele, Pele,” meaning sorry, sorry as they moved along.

(1) (Reply)

The Tribulations Of Aduke. / The Fabric Red Rose / Get Access To Download Premium E-books, Audio And Videos Training/tutorial (WSO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.