Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking (1557 Views)

Africa’s Sahara ‘Most Dangerous Place On Earth’ 100 Million Years Ago (Photo) / First Humans Acted Like Vegan Monkeys, 3 Million Years Ago - Study / 'Ghost' Population Of Humans Discovered In Ancient Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2016
It’s time to start shopping for a new solar system. Earth will be done for humans within 1,000 years, so at least some of us need to get off the planet or it’s buh-bye for our species, says Stephen Hawking, according to Extreme Tech. The British theoretical physicist pointed out that the earth, like all planets, is fragile. Current life forms, especially larger ones like humans, could cease to exist due to any number of catastrophic planetary hair days. All it takes is for our atmosphere to take just one sick day and we’re history with no one to read about it. More: Stephen Hawking wants to launch a swarm of nano- probes into outer space… with lasers The odds of today being the last day? Not too great, although a large enough, previously-undetected, careening asteroid could raise a planet-sized dust cover that would block sunlight for months, according to NASA. A sudden planetary event could bring a relatively quick demise, which might be merciful compared to the other threats Hawking envisions. The author of the bestselling A Brief History in Time is more concerned about the potential slower agony of threats to our life on earth from climate change due to global warming, artificial intelligence, and even alien invasion. If threatening aliens do show up, they won’t arrive in spaceships wielding plasma ray weapons. More likely, aliens that could crash our planet party would be in the form of a virus or bacteria hitching a ride amidst the “100 tons of dust and sand-sized particles” by which the planet is bombarded every day, according to NASA. Of Hawking’s top four, he said in a presentation at Oxford’s University Union that the greatest concerns are for the next century, during which developing artificial intelligence and continuing global climate change could each alter the “future of humanity.” The answer to preserving humanity is a “backup.” Hawking said the only way to protect our species is to have humans in more than one place in the universe. Another group would need to live independently on another planet or preferably in another solar system in case our sun spins out, winks off, or suddenly boosts its own emissions beyond our biology’s survival range. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk’s plans to colonize Mars with 1 million people to save humanity are in alignment with Hawking’s predictions, but perhaps the Tesla founder needs to think bigger and beyond our solar system.
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by TES2LA(m): 9:47pm On Nov 20, 2016
Yeah, we are thinking big and beyond our solar system everyday. grin

Bt mind you, no matter hw Big we think, what was Revealed in the book of Revelation is still going to happen/come to pass. wink
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 20, 2016
Hawkings and controversy..... grin grin

It's funny that Illustrious physicists like predicting the end of the world.
Nostradamus
Newton (2060)
and now hawkings.....

All these physcists sef ....... angrycheesy
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by HCpaul(m): 8:04pm On Nov 21, 2016
TES2LA:
Yeah, we are thinking big and beyond our solay system everyday. grin

Bt mind you, no matter hw Big we think, what was Revealed in the book of Revelation is still going to happen/come to pass. wink

An idle mind is the devils handiwork. You take delight in what you yourself ain't ready for. Your religion fail to teach you how to take basic responsibility.

Religion makes fool to be waiting for the doom of the world without taking any responsibility to avert it, while scientist are busy providing solutions to universal problems.

1 Like

Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by TES2LA(m): 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2016
HCpaul:

An idle mind is the devils handiwork. You take delight in what you yourself ain't ready for. Your religion fail to teach you how to take basic responsibility.

Religion makes fool to be waiting for the doom of the world without taking any responsibility to avert it, while scientist are busy providing solutions to universal problems.

Is this one alright like this

Pls, any psychiatrist in the house There's a patient for you o.
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 23, 2016
These people with there weird prediction. Any no person life right now will see that sef
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 24, 2016
SirWere:

Nostradamus

Newton (2060)

and now hawkings.....

when they predicted the solar eclipse, weather, natural disasters like earthquake and the likes.....didnt it happen?

1 Like

Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by DONFRANSKID(m): 9:23pm On Nov 24, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]HEAVY LIEHEAVY LIEHEAVY LIE
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Blakjewelry(m): 11:33pm On Nov 26, 2016
SirWere:

Nostradamus

Newton (2060)

and now hawkings.....

Nostra is a fake ass, as for doomsday, anytime soon anything can happen. When there is so much peace for a long time then war is near
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 26, 2016
Blakjewelry:

Nostra is a fake ass, as for doomsday, anytime soon anything can happen. When there is so much peace for a long time then war is near
Hmm, dunno.

I think he actually believed his own prophecies
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 26, 2016
moffymichael:

when they predicted the solar eclipse, weather, natural disasters like earthquake and the likes.....didnt it happen?

Natural disasters are predicted by Geologists.

Weather forecasts are predicted by weatherman (forgotten their terminology).

Solar eclipses have been going on for eons now and occur at periodic intervals:..... It wasn't really so stressful predicting them.

Try Again.
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by CHukZero: 11:21am On Nov 27, 2016
moffymichael:

Lol Sick Atheist! They na who? Bible don talk am tey tay na.u de dull o.My broda na 2016 we de o.
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 27, 2016
CHukZero:
Lol Sick Atheist! They na who? Bible don talk am tey tay na.u de dull o.My broda na 2016 we de o.

"dnt be caged with ur religious mindset, broaden ur mind....and for ur info, I'm not an atheist, I'm a believer. I embrace scientific knowledge cos science tries to reveal the awesomeness of God, how God has created the universe and puts everything in order so that we can appreciate how mighty our God is.
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:

Natural disasters are predicted by Geologists.

Weather forecasts are predicted by weatherman (forgotten their terminology).

Solar eclipses have been going on for eons now and occur at periodic intervals:..... It wasn't really so stressful predicting

Two things u need to learn are:
(i) some fundamentals
(ii)history......

Those disciplines you mentioned above [geology, meteorology (weather forecast)] are all sub-disciplines under the study of Physics Just as medicine, parasitology, microbiology, zoology, botany etc are all subdiscipline under the study of biology. Physics gave birth to a lot of other subdisciplines cos its the most fundamental academic discipline in the world. Without the knowledge of physics one can not study geology, tell me, which theory or law do you want to use to explain the evolution of the universe, the rotation of the earth, the formation of eclipse etc...?

You also said something: "it wasnt really so stressful in predicting them".......Stop talking lavishly, when u were not educated, do u know 5 + 3? In antiquity, eclipse was believed to have been caused by some supernatural powers, the occurence was being attributed to some deity not untill science came to reveal everything to us. Appreciate Science, Appreciate God!
Re: Humans Have Only 1000 Years Left On Earth - Stephen Hawking by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 27, 2016
moffymichael:

Two things u need to learn are:
(i) some fundamentals
(ii)history......

Those disciplines you mentioned above [geology, meteorology (weather forecast)] are all sub-disciplines under the study of Physics Just as medicine, parasitology, microbiology, zoology, botany etc are all subdiscipline under the study of biology.

undecided

[i]Earth science (also known as geoscience, the geosciences or the Earth sciences) is an all-embracing term for the sciences related to the planet Earth.[12] It is arguably a special case in planetary science, the Earth being the only known life-bearing planet. There are both reductionist and holistic approaches to Earth sciences. The formal discipline of Earth sciences may include the study of the atmosphere, hydrosphere, oceans and biosphere, as well as the solid earth. Typically Earth scientists will use tools from physics, chemistry, biology, geography, chronology and mathematics to build a quantitative understanding of how the Earth system works, and how it evolved to its current state.

Before you got on your moral high horse singing physics's praise and what not; you should have checked facts undecided

Physics gave birth to a lot of other subdisciplines cos its the most fundamental academic discipline in the world. Without the knowledge of physics one can not study geology, tell me, which theory or law do you want to use to explain the evolution of the universe, the rotation of the earth, the formation of eclipse etc...?
Have I disputed the importance of physics or disregarded its status as a fundamental discipline of science
Dafuq undecided

You also said something: "it wasnt really so stressful in predicting them".......Stop talking lavishly, when u were not educated, do u know 5 + 3?
In antiquity, eclipse was believed to have been caused by some supernatural powers, the occurence was being attributed to some deity not untill science came to reveal everything to us.
And have I degraded the importance of science Guy; you missed my point.
You said that physicists predict solar eclipses.
And I replied you that since Solar eclipses occur periodically; it's not a big deal to predict the next solar eclipse.
A statisitician with no knowledge in sciences can, with dead point accuracy, also predict the next eclipse, given the previous dates and factors pertaining to solar eclipses.
Stop jumping up and down, screaming History and fundamentals.

And 5 + 3 = 8 naa, everyone knows that one cheesy

Appreciate Science,
I do!
Appreciate God!

This is not the thread to argue discuss that.....

(1) (Reply)

Visual Effect Demo "Explosion In Lagos" / Help!email On Blackberry Not Working! / Centrex Team Honored Capt Femi Ayodele A Cyber Security Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.