Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Best SUV For Nigeria? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best SUV For Nigeria? (20534 Views)

Best SUV For 1 Million Naira Budget? / What Is The Best SUV For A Small Girl? / Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by babasin(m): 11:03pm On Jan 24, 2007
@Seun70
Very interesting. How can I get this tracker?
I am about paying for LandRover Discovery. I could change my mind to Vogue, 2006 Model.

Also is Navigation system working in Nigeria now? or I should get Navigation/DVD option. At least I can also use DVD if Navigation does not operate yet in Naija.

Any idea of Custom charges? Should I put in container or ship if fully insured?
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by papaD1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 24, 2007
ok ok for the lovers of toyota car,check toyota FJ out,its an suv.u know why i like it guyz?it look rugged like hummer h3 or h2.

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by seun70(m): 11:37am On Jan 25, 2007
@Babasin

You should contact 'GLO' the phone service provider in Nigeria. You can log on to their website, click on 'contact us' and get the required telephone numbers.

On the custom issue, my 'suggestion' would be to pls put it in a container. I might just consider myself to be lucky, reason being i did not put my cherokee jeep in a container and it was not vandalised. But, what you are talking about here is a 'vogue 2006'. I would not take a risk with that.

What I can do is, if you give me a call on 0044 7983124271, I can link you up with a 'responsible' and reasonable clearing agent.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by seun70(m): 11:39am On Jan 25, 2007
@Babasin,
Satnav is not functioning in nigeria yet. I will suggest you get the one with a DVD option,
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Ivvie: 12:02am On Mar 23, 2007
1st rule, Hummer's don't run on gasoline. They run on diesel and are armoured. Everyone's talking about Hummers. The Hummer's driven on the streets are not Hummers but Tahoes. They are built on the Tahoe chassis with a revised body kit or shell as nigerians call it. It is nothing short of a fraud. The H2's are built on the Yukon's chassis. Even worse, as far as Design Engineering is concerned, those vehicles are seen as pick up trucks. There is no such thing as an SUV. It's either a 4 wheel drive or 4 x 4 (and it's not called a Jeep) or it isn't anything. 4 Wheel Drive vehicles will have a lexical and an auxilary gear. Most of what we see on the roads are trucks and some, cars in an oversized cabin. The Outlander itself is a lancer with a different cabin. Those of you living int he United States will hear people calling them trucks. Indeed, they are all built on the chassis of pickup trucks. This was started by Ford in the early '80's with the Bronco II. The Bronco that has claims many lives. That vehicle couldn't do a J-turn at 20 miles without tipping at least a tire. Later, it was ruled out that it was perfectly ok for such a characteristic.

Range Rover's are the best 4 X 4's. You cannot compare any 4 x 4 with the Range Rover. The reliability is the only issue for this vehicle as its air suspension is known to fail without warning. When one fails, the vehicle cannot be driven and has to be fixed. You can double-cross this by installing some bilsteins to it and disabling the sensors. It still rides as factory designed.

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria?
« #18 on: January 14, 2007, 12:41 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think of Naija roads then think of Hummer Jeep, i.e if pocket go gree u, I recommend H2
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by babasin(m): 5:14pm On Mar 31, 2007
@Ivvie,

Do you know a good Range Rover Place in Nigeria?

I need to change the Bord Computer of my HSE from Swedish to English.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Ivvie: 7:16pm On Apr 07, 2007
@babasin

Sorry for the tardy reply. I'm afraid I cant answer that question. I reside in the United States and I know nowhere in Lagos but my church and my home. If I am not wrong, there is a digital tool that they'll have to use to switch language mode. If that option isn't available, then they'll have to reload or reflash the computer's software to either convert it to English or accommodate the English translation. I do believe it's a mode thing and you'll probably need a reset tool. You'll have to spend time on the internet looking for Rover forums. You will find a DIY (do it yourself) procedure on doing most things on your all season vehicle.

Another thing is the Service Manual or Service CD. It tells you everything about the vehicle and specifications, repairs and other settings. I am not referring to the Owners Manual. By law, manufacturers are suppose to release these informations in details to the general public but people depend on the dealer for everything and pay $199 an hours with a $99 diagnostic fee. If you don't have it, you can purchase it online. It'll include
Technical Information
Technical Bulletins
Technical Literature
Test Book Information
A Tutorial on how to fix, diagnose and repair mechanical problems

The CD can be bought too. If you are lucky enough, you can download it (if you find it anywhere). Everything about your vehicle will be on those service information.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by babasin(m): 9:30am On Apr 11, 2007
@Ivvie,

I have searched endlessly and cant locate any CD on the net.

Do you have any url link?
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Ivvie: 3:47am On Apr 12, 2007
@Babasin

What's the year and model of your Rover?  You'll have to give me a while to do a search for you.  It's not usually a disc but a combination of discs.  I will see to it.  Open your door and look for the vehicle's information (if you can read it).  If not, just give me all you know.

Regards,

Ivaie
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Ivvie: 4:15am On Apr 12, 2007
Babasin,

Since you own a Range Rover, you should purchase a set of Bilstein HD's.  I think they are monotubes.  They might have twin tubes for your vehicle.  The airmatic suspensions in Range Rovers are known to fail without warnings or cautions.  When one out of four fails, you cannot move or drive the 4 X 4.  Why that?!  You need to talk to Ford!  It's a good 4 X 4 and it's second to known in the world as far as mechanical engineering and it is no way like others.  , just FYI, it's not an SUV.    The Rover is not built on a truck or sedan's chassis.  It's unique on it's own and has it's stand-alone and auxillary gears.  SUV's don't because they are trucks (built on a pick-up trucks chassis (Explorer, Expedition)) or cars (built on sedans (over-rated chassis (outlander built on Lancer's chassis)).   This is why the Rover is different and will not tip over.  When I took Quantum mechanics, my professor said the Range Rover will climb a steep of 78degrees and he trashed the X5's.

Bilstein's are not expensive compared to the replacements you'll have to do to have the airmatics replaced.  It's $900 without tax for just one out of four.  They are mostly at the dealer for that.  Bilsteins are life warranted.  You won't have to buy another.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2007
I have the best truck for you.
Low profile
Reliable, serviceable in Naija
low import duty
Can handle any road in naija

The Toyota Tacoma Crewcab
Good gas mileage

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by promise72(m): 9:10am On Jun 05, 2007
@ Sultan,

Is this 4cyl or 6cyl. Nice looking truck. But not to be a party pooper. How about the color? Red? Witchcraft? grin this is Naija thinking though.

The question you'll be getting is: Are related to Sat Guru Mahraji? wink
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by gabufada: 12:59pm On Jun 05, 2007
Best SUV for NAija; men its either a LandCruiser Prado or Amazon; they have excellent after sales back-up. A Volkswagen Touraeg is not bad at all; parts; economy is good. U can even try an Audi Q7, X5, Land rover LR3 and possibly a Porsche Cayenne. All these babies are being used in Naija and I dont know of any body that has complained so far.
But please; only think of an Escalade for posing purposes. Kai! that SUV is thristier than Ireland!
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 6:35am On Jun 06, 2007
gabufada:

Best SUV for NAija; men its either a LandCruiser Prado or Amazon; they have excellent after sales back-up. A Volkswagen Touraeg is not bad at all; parts; economy is good. You can even try an Audi Q7, X5, Land rover LR3 and possibly a Porsche Cayenne. All these babies are being used in Naija and I don't know of any body that has complained so far.
But please; only think of an Escalade for posing purposes. Kai! that SUV is thristier than Ireland!

All those truck sound great if you want to be chased about town by armed robbers.
You need something with a low profile that does not scream "I'm loaded"
Drive trucks you can service yourself. eg Ford Sport -Trac

@ Promise72,
Tacom comes with both engines as an option(V6 or4cyl)

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by babasin(m): 9:33am On Jun 11, 2007
ford is not reliable and not second-hand value. not the best way to go
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by wweekes(m): 6:39pm On Feb 01, 2008
My name is Wesley, I work with Atlantic Shipping @ 9 Croal St., Georgetown. I can get anyone parts or any USA built car. all I need is the type of part, year, make , and model of the car, along with the VIN#, and i can get you a price. my email is wweekes@gmail.com. My phone number is 231-7008. Im in the USA right now but leave a message, and they will let me know right away.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by humfri01: 12:43am On Jan 06, 2011
can anybody be kind enough to comment on how economical is MAZDA tribute on Nigeria roads? really need to make a decision this weekend
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by BOMANY: 2:36pm On Jan 06, 2011
promise72:

Then you get a call "Em Brother, em em em your car, em em em"

Keep a nice ride at home only if you live there.

Hahahaha cheesy cheesy
I ve seen this movie before. Man!! You ve almost described what happened with me but it was my wife instead of the bro. I left my new Skoda Octavia (was just bought brand new 3m Naira) and traveled. She did not touch the car as she had her own small Toyota Carine but just before coming back she wanted to give her mom a ride and she wanted to impress her mom so she hired a driver for just a day or so. The first day she took the car they made fatal accident, the air bag blew off…. , Thank God that no one died but the new car turned to just a piece of junk. And to make things worse I didn’t pay for the insurance as it ended just before traveling and I said leave it till come back, man, I didn’t know! The rest of the story is known, I called and I was told that my car emmmm emmmm
Hahaha
I am laughing now, but at then it was horrible shock
grin

1 Like

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by BOMANY: 2:38pm On Jan 06, 2011
babasin:

I plan to tour Nigeria for two wks and park the car at home.
I will disable the tyres and take back with me the car-keys. And when I visit  again and see any problem with Car. I will simply cut-off from everyone.

I would not advise you to do this. From my experience I can tell that used cars need to be driven once a while otherwise everything will come stiff and dried. why do nt you put it in a custody of a trustworthy relative of yours unless you do not have any, and give him meter range like max. 1000 km a year to drive it around and avoid complications otherwise buy Nigeria used car for your trip and sell it out as you r going back. You may lose some money but no regrets, as if you hired a car.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by BOMANY: 2:52pm On Jan 06, 2011
Well, I needed this thread so much as I am preparing to buy a SUV
I think it is turning to be a general question for everybody not just the poster.
Evvie & babasian you ve turned my head with what you wrote!!

However, I am not looking for luxurious SUV like prado, Landcruiser, Range Rover etc. I ve limited budget and I was thinking to buy a good SUV from the USA after 2005 models, like Ford Escape 2008, Mazda Tribute 2008, Jeep Patriot or Compas 2007, Nissan Murano 2005,. Specifically, I am looking for a SUV with 3L engine capacity highest.

Even I was thinking of buying from Ebay or Yahoo with using an inspection company to give me detailed report.

Its price dia max. around 10k USD and it is very reasonable in consumption of fuel, except Murano, and it will save me from the mechanics headache here. In my opinion, most of our mechanics are idiots and the good ones are very expensive, while the Agents like car link will ruin my budget.

Forget about the re-sale price, once you register the car, it loses 40% of its value and reselling used Nija cars are not easy, besides I ve decided to forget about reselling and use the car till it dies, even if I buy new one I still use the old one to the end, then I do not mind how much it gives me when it dies, even 200k, at least I won’t feel like someone stole me as it happened many times with me.

After reading your posts, I do not know, you sent me back to the first quarter. Should I change my mind and buy a sedan though our streets will tear it apart or buy old SUV and push my luck bearing the mechanic headache? I just do not know, , I have to rethink again.

I need a core advice
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by carnal: 2:32pm On Jan 07, 2011
@babarin,my best advise for u is to buy any good car,two wks into when u r sure dat u r goin back,contact any of the car dealers on nairaland, especially inspired (who is highly trusted) to assist u sell the car and remit d proceed or on a second option buy the car from u outrightly ( i kn alot of dealers on NL dat will do dat).keeping the car and removing tyres na all waste of resources,tying down ur cash and some headache mite com from it.someone mentioned dat wat if there is fire?We kn blood of Jesus will not allow it but then u leave abroad and i expect dat in dat society everythin u do,safety is greatly considered.
buy a car,sell d car b4 u leave.wen next u r comin again do d same thin over unless if u r comin back in btw 3-6months?Hv seen alot of ppl abroad who com home do dis and it worked for dem well. my own advise (dnt leave d car for any friend or family members ooo)
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by ireneann: 3:52pm On Jan 07, 2011
Carnal and bomany una no dey read date? this was an issue that was discussed in 2007 and you are both commenting on it in 2008 and 2011.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by BOMANY: 9:40pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ irene
2007!! :-o I must ve been in coma :-) , ;-) i browse on my phone n it doesnt show d date, :-( i just saw d thread n i was goin 2 ask d same question. But someone ve posted on it b4 me 2 bring it back
Anyway,i wl put my post in my own thread ;-)
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by KOMBE: 5:37pm On Feb 07, 2011
I bought an Infinity QX4 2 years ago and I must tell you that the ride is great on Naija roads. Cheap Maintenance cost, good fuel economy. You will love it.
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by npatel123: 7:27am On Nov 06, 2012
My new Mahindra Xylo. Xylo is the great vehicle that has combination of latest engineering and comforts. This car comes handy with a number of features which are very attractive with the consumers and that is the point where the Xylo stands alone on the top of the MUV segment.

Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 06, 2012
Land Rover Series I.
Land Rover Series II.
Land Rover Series IIA.
Land Rover Series III.
Land Rover Defender.

Range Rover Classic (1970 - 1996).
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by npatel123: 1:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
I think The Scorpio has been a total game changer for Mahindra. The SUV looks and striking lines make it uniquely desirable, while the luxurious interior and capable engines make for a superbly rounded package. The Scorpio is the best 4x4 on sale in terms of driving experience.

Sport Utility Vehicles
Re: Best SUV For Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2012
funkybaby: @babasin

not a bad idea at all. but them go talk about you behind your back o! that you removed your tyres and took the keys back with you, lol, but seriously, it is a very good idea. dont worry about any fire disaster or accident, your car is covered with the blood of jesus. secondly, i strongly advise you not tom use "car cloth cover" <i cant remember the name it is called > to cover the car. this is because, the car can easily be vandalised <internally> and it might pass the attention of your tenants for months. you can tip any of your nephews or cousins to help you wash and wax the car at least once in a month for you. that way, it will still maintain its shine.

you are choosing Land Rover, erghhhh,
dis one wey u don dey fall in luv with babasin already. Hmmm, girlz sef ............

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turned My Phase II Peugeot 607 V6 To A Maniac! / PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles / Which Pickup Truck Is D Most Efficient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.