Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,723 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions - Software/Programmer Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software/Programmer Market / Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions (1555 Views)

Free Ebooks On Programming / Programming Language C++ Collection Of 49 Ebooks+source Codes / Need Ebooks On Vb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rodbel(m): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2007
Hello guys anyone with an idea of where i can get e-books, softwares and some tutorials on FORTRAN77 or later version? Pls reply to bidemmy2009@yahoo.com
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by neroflick(m): 3:28am On Jan 08, 2007
rodbel:

Hello guys anyone with an idea of where i can get e-books, softwares and some tutorials on FORTRAN77 or later version? Please reply to bidemmy2009@yahoo.com
what on earth do u need fortran77 for?
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 6:09pm On Jan 08, 2007
neroflick:

what on earth do u need fortran77 for?

for programming ofcourse!!
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rock2(m): 3:56pm On Jan 10, 2007
Who is encouraging you guys with fotarn (How do you even spell it). Tell him/Her, he/She is misleading you. Unless you are studying history of programming.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rodbel(m): 7:46am On Jan 11, 2007
It's a course of study in ma sch.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 12:28pm On Jan 11, 2007
rock2:

Who is encouraging you guys with fotarn (How do you even spell it). Tell him/Her, he/She is misleading you. Unless you are studying history of programming.

Thatz the problem with you guys; simply because you don't know or use fortran u begin to discourage those who are learning it. For your infomation FORTRAN programmers make big money in the US and UK.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rock2(m): 2:54pm On Jan 11, 2007
ishmael:

Thatz the problem with you guys; simply because you don't know or use fortran u begin to discourage those who are learning it. For your infomation FORTRAN programmers make big money in the US and UK.

Well, your post made me do a little research. I learnt FORTRAN (i learnt to spell it) is still used for numerical analysis.

NASA stilll use fortran (F90) for processing of satellite remote sensing data. Meteorological programming is also best done in FORTRAN. Maybe because of FORTRAN's simplicity, speed with numbers, and compatibility with very old machines. Although it has a very small user base (maybe that's why someone would pay well if you know it)

I guess this is a consolation to out FORTRAN users.

For tutorials, just google it in or check your school's library if it was built in the 70's
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 10:01am On Jan 12, 2007
rock2:

For tutorials, just google it in or check your school's library if it was built in the 70's

you are very funny grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rookie(m): 2:57am On Jan 13, 2007
[table][tr][td]Thatz the problem with you guys; simply because you don't know or use fortran u begin to discourage those who are learning it. For your infomation FORTRAN programmers make big money in the US and UK.[/td][/tr][/table]

Ishmael -

You sound like you have a little passion for Fortran, well I must agree with Rock2 a little - Fortran77 is quite out dated. Please understand that I am not trying to be obnoxious. But at this present times, object oriented programming is ideal. Using the same effort you put into programming Fortran, you can always explore more recent programming languages. However, I can understand if you are using Fortran for just specific tasks that it is most suitable, or school work.

Anyhow, It's still quite unfortunate that our Nigerian universities choose to teach older languages instead of newer ones. Perhaps, the professors do not have training and knowledge in 3GL and 4GL languages. You won't find too many schools in the US that still teach Fortran.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by c0dec(m): 11:19am On Jan 13, 2007
FORTRAN is still well used in mathematical computing both in academia and industry. rodbel could be a mathematician.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 12:45pm On Jan 13, 2007
rookie:

Ishmael -

You sound like you have a little passion for Fortran, well I must agree with Rock2 a little - Fortran77 is quite out dated. Please understand that I am not trying to be obnoxious. But at this present times, object oriented programming is ideal. Using the same effort you put into programming Fortran, you can always explore more recent programming languages. However, I can understand if you are using Fortran for just specific tasks that it is most suitable, or school work.

Anyhow, It's still quite unfortunate that our Nigerian universities choose to teach older languages instead of newer ones. Perhaps, the professors do not have training and knowledge in 3GL and 4GL languages. You won't find too many schools in the US that still teach Fortran.

Yes i like FORTRAN, it's still the most suitable programming language for mathematical, statistical and numerical computing. From your post it's like you know very little about FORTRAN. Please do a research to know the latest versions of FORTRAN compilers available. It may interest you to know that there is Object-Oriented FORTRAN/Visual FORTRAN now, which are as good as other OOP languages and better than them in handling mathematical and numerical computations. FORTRAN 2003 has Object-Oriented progamming features.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by geebengs(m): 1:14pm On Jan 30, 2007
I wonder what u need Fortran for. Its outdated and i don't expect anyone to be looking for fortran in this age. But i think the problem is from the lecturers who learnt programming with fortran in their days and refused to advance due to laziness. so what they do is to pass on their outdated knowlege to students like you .
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 11:35am On Feb 05, 2007
geebengs:

I wonder what u need Fortran for. Its outdated and i don't expect anyone to be looking for fortran in this age. But i think the problem is from the lecturers who learnt programming with fortran in their days and refused to advance due to laziness. so what they do is to pass on their outdated knowlege to students like you .

FORTRAN has grown beyond FORTRAN 77. Check out FORTRAN 2003 and see the object -oriented features it has. It is highly comparable with other OOP languages like JAVA and C++ and better than them in the handling and processing of figures.

Some of the highest paid programmers in the US and UK today are FORTRAN and COBOL programmers. You can still learn it if you wish, it does nt stop you from learning other languages like JAVA and C++ which a lot of people still prefer to use.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by Seun(m): 11:41am On Feb 05, 2007
Some of the highest paid programmers in the US and UK today are FORTRAN and COBOL programmers
Some of the most powerful presidents in the world today are idiots (Bush). That doesn't mean any idiot can aspire to be a president. In the same way, you probably won't get a FORTRAN or COBOL job!
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 1:23pm On Feb 05, 2007
Seun:

Some of the most powerful presidents in the world today are idiots (Bush). That doesn't mean any idiot can aspire to be a president. In the same way, you probably won't get a FORTRAN or COBOL job!

in the same way you probably won't get a JAVA or C++ job.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by rookie(m): 9:51pm On Feb 05, 2007
ISHMAEL

Most US employers advertise job openings on CareerBuilder, Monster etc. Try searching for job opening for COBOL or FORTRAN programmers and see what you get. Don't just sit down there, and talk about how much FORTRAN programmers earn in the US.

I can walk you through it
GoTo: www.careerbuilder.com
in the Keyword field: type in FORTRAN or COBOL -- see what you get, I tried it -- u can guess -- I got only 1 for both
then type in JAVA or .NET -- see what you get -- so many i lost count

Drop your pride and explore newer technologies and don't just argue about how much COBOL/FORTRAN developers make in the US
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 1:13pm On Feb 06, 2007
All the same sha, one can still learn them together with the newer languages that are in vogue like Java and C++.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 2:04pm On Feb 06, 2007
rookie:

ISHMAEL

Most US employers advertise job openings on CareerBuilder, Monster etc. Try searching for job opening for COBOL or FORTRAN programmers and see what you get. Don't just sit down there, and talk about how much FORTRAN programmers earn in the US.

I can walk you through it
GoTo: www.careerbuilder.com
in the Keyword field: type in FORTRAN or COBOL -- see what you get, I tried it -- u can guess -- I got only 1 for both
then type in JAVA or .NET -- see what you get -- so many i lost count

Drop your pride and explore newer technologies and don't just argue about how much COBOL/FORTRAN developers make in the US

I guess you did not see well or you went to the wrong site and not www.careerbuilder.com I got in there and saw countless jobs and vacancies for people with experience in FORTRAN programming; COBOL programmers are higly in demand too. Go back and do your search very well, perhaps you missed the site.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by Wordsmith(m): 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2008
hi,

i would also need some e-books on this programming language, will be taking the course this semester. thanks
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by ishmael(m): 3:05pm On Oct 30, 2008
Fortran programming is still very useful. only lazy people hate fortran.
Re: Ebooks On Fortran77 Or Later Versions by alex406(m): 11:12am On Nov 03, 2008
Pls competent programmers,what are really the differences Between FORTRAN and other programming Languages?
I guess FORTRAN is the first programming Language with about 80 columns sheet.And its still rocking the ground but i wonder why higher inst. in Nigeria are not teaching the latest ones only the old one like V.B and fortran.

(1) (Reply)

Web Programmer Wanted To Integrate Live Stock Exchange Feeds To A Website / Web Developers Wanted - Earn Up To N250,000 Per Month (apply Now) / Buy E-guest Manager, A Complete Hotel Management Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.