Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion (14851 Views)

Learn How The 16 Odu Ifa Warn You For Free Without Consulting Babalawo / Irete Odu Ifa / Ogunda Odu Ifa ~ Divination, Prayers & Ebo {sacrifice} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Babalawos(m): 3:23pm On Nov 21, 2016
There are a number of methods used in Nigeria to organize Odu so there is no correct way to do it; there is only the way of your lineage. I will start by showing you the process as it is done in my lineage.

The easiest way to understand and learn the sequence is to imagine the entire corpus of Odu verses is organized into 16 books. The first book is all, the Odu called meji meaning the right and the left leg are identical.

Book One is as follows:

Ogbe Meji

Oyeku Meji

Iwori Meji

Odi Meji

Irosun Meji

Owonrin Meji

Obara Meji

Okanran Meji

Ogunda Meji

Osa Meji

Ika Meji

Oturupon Meji

Otura Meji

Irete Meji

Ose Meji

Ofun Meji

Once the Odu Meji are memorized in sequence the rest of the Odu are remembered through the use of a simple formula that does not require the route memory of the entire remaining 240 Odu.

The formula is this; the remaining fifteen books of Odu go through all the combinations of a particular single leg, minus the verses that are senior.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment if you want me to continue......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by viyon02: 3:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
Isese lagba
Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Haoqi24: 12:52am On Nov 22, 2016
Interesting... please continue. I've always thought the Babalawos are required to memorise all the root odu of all the verses

1 Like

Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Babalawos(m): 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
The second book of Odu includes Ogbe combined with the remaining fifteen legs. Combined Odu are read from the right to the left. Each book starts with the primary Odu of that book on the right, then the Odu flips.

For example the first chapter of book two is Ogbe Oyeku, the second chapter of book two is Oyeku Ogbe. Book two then uses this pattern to move through the Odu in sequence as follows:

BOOK TWO

Ogbe Oyeku

Oyeku Ogbe

Ogbe Iwori

Iwori Ogbe

Ogbe Odi

Odi Ogbe

Ogbe Irosun

Irosun Ogbe

Ogbe Owonrin

Owonrin Ogbe

Ogbe Obara

Obara Ogbe

Ogbe Okanran

Okanran Ogbe

Ogbe Ogunda

Ogunda Ogbe

Ogbe Osa

Osa Ogbe

Ogbe Ika

Ika Ogbe

Ogbe Oturupon

Oturupon Ogbe

Ogbe Otura

Otura Ogbe

Ogbe Irete

Irete Ogbe

Ogbe Ose

Ose Ogbe

Ogbe Ofun

Ofun Ogbe

From this point book three is all the verses with Oyeku minus Ogbe Oyeku and Oyeku Ogbe because those two chapters appear in book two. If you understand the structure of the system at this point you should be able to recite the order of sequence of the remaining chapters without having to memorize them by route.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment if you want me to continue......

Babalawo

1 Like

Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 23, 2016
Greetings Wiseone, sorry for deviating from the topic you are treating on this particular thread, but i seek knowledge in your wealth of wisdom.

At my house here in Lagos, i noticed a barn owl (White head, big bird) built a nest in a broken part of our building, i chased it away, spoilt the nest and after some time i still hear it hooting around, i guess it lives at an abandoned house behind my house, but sometimes at evenings it would perch on our pole or at other the next houses roofs, pls i would like to find it the spiritual meaning and what such bird represents. It looks evil to me buh i dont know if it is.

I would really appreciate your explanation and Insight on this, because i am planning to kill it when next i set eyes on it. Thanks Wiseone
Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Haoqi24: 8:52am On Nov 24, 2016
Continue sire
Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Babalawos(m): 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2016
Why dont you contact a powerful babalawo to consult Ifa for you so that you should know what to do with the bird?

BennieWang:
Greetings Wiseone, sorry for deviating from the topic you are treating on this particular thread, but i seek knowledge in your wealth of wisdom.

At my house here in Lagos, i noticed a barn owl (White head, big bird) built a nest in a broken part of our building, i chased it away, spoilt the nest and after some time i still hear it hooting around, i guess it lives at an abandoned house behind my house, but sometimes at evenings it would perch on our pole or at other the next houses roofs, pls i would like to find it the spiritual meaning and what such bird represents. It looks evil to me buh i dont know if it is.

I would really appreciate your explanation and Insight on this, because i am planning to kill it when next i set eyes on it. Thanks Wiseone
Re: 256 Odu Ifa ~ Ifa Religion by Babalawos(m): 7:58pm On Nov 25, 2016
I will continue Book Three

Haoqi24:
Continue sire

(1) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Religion / Opinion!!!!! Any Christian That Goes To Work On Sundays Will Not Make Heaven.... / Why Your Paper Bible Is Better Than Phone Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.