Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,573 members, 7,955,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:23 PM

Late Again, A Short Story By Iorkegh Donatus - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Late Again, A Short Story By Iorkegh Donatus (646 Views)

Pastor Donatus 21+ / Beware Of What You Eat- A Short Story By Avatarmode / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Late Again, A Short Story By Iorkegh Donatus by donkegh(m): 4:48am On Nov 22, 2016
Late Again
By Iorkegh Donatus
Nigeria

It all started when I covered seven days for Linda at work. The achy joints and cramp feet, all like I have played football bare footed.
When the first alarm boozed, I managed to snooze it. I carelessly pushed the phone to the floor. It rumbled and vibrated for sometime before I hastily got out of bed like a reveille had sounded to signal red alert.
Oh gosh!
I lumbered up with trembling feet. The clock on the wall read 7:30am. I had little time to prepare for work. With an hour behind schedule, I juggled my way out without a bath, scaling through to the bus stop.
“Lekki, Jakande, Ajah.......” the conductor announced.
I flipped out a note of two hundred naira, handed it to him and added “Lekki”
“my change” I returned to him in a harsh voice, with my time fast ticking.
“just hold on” he replied gently
I was shocked at his gentility but added with a fume “I will drop here”
In an unusual manner, he leaned forward, gaining a balance, stretched out a hundred and fifty naira to me.
I continued with the remaining 15 minutes trek to my office, thinking about my lateness to work for the fifteenth day in a row, which will prompt a query or outright dismissal with the company’s zero tolerance for late coming.
I heard a loud shout of my name “Zubby”.
I turned sharply with an annoying gaze. It was Femi, my colleague. I stopped.
“Where are you running to when we still have time” He asked sarcastically with his parrot-like mouth “it's just 7:30am, almost an hour before time”.
Hmm! I calmed my nerves. The time on the wall clock was not correct. I was not late after all.

Iorkegh Donatus © 2016.
Re: Late Again, A Short Story By Iorkegh Donatus by donkegh(m): 4:54am On Nov 22, 2016
If you enjoyed that piece, kindly vote the story for the 2016 edition of Etisalat prize for flash fiction on

http://prize.etisalat.com.ng/flash-fiction/voteall.php?id=179.

(1) (Reply)

Girl Talk: Let's Talk Girl Power! / My Friend Gets Pregnant, I Get Heartbroken 2 / Why I Chose To Be Silent – Fiction Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.