Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,772 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? (1538 Views)

Console Wars: PS5 Vs Xbox Series X / Corona Wars: An Android Space War Game By Me(photos) / How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by Techazuri: 4:08pm On Nov 22, 2016
If anyone is familiar with the YouTube channel TechnoBuffalo, they’d probably have come across a video series named The Console Wars. This is a series of videos that is dedicated to pitting gaming consoles from major companies against one another in a battle for supremacy. The series analyzes various features of game consoles namely media playback, CPU and GPU power, video output options, connectivity options, online gaming, console form factor, controller form factor, amongst many others. This video series started with the 7th generation consoles, the PS3 and XBOX 360. But surprisingly or unsurprisingly, the series creator and narrator Lasse Pulkinnen left out Nintendo’s Wii, which also happens to be a 7th gen console.

First, let’s take an in-depth look at the Nintendo Wii.
This console launched in 2006 as Nintendo’s flagship 7th gen console. The Wii introduced a motion sensing controller that instantly made it popular. The controller allowed players to use physical movements to control on-screen characters, a feature which was unheard of with the PS3 and XBOX 360. For example, in a baseball Videogame, in order to swing a baseball bat, the player actually swings the controller like a bat. This system was much less expensive than Microsoft and Sony’s consoles, and was more appealing to kids of varying ages. The Wii also lacked support from major third party developers, and thus was much less compelling to traditional gamers. Perhaps it was omitted from the console wars because it eschewed technical prowess for an innovative motion-based controller, we’ll never know.

Fast forward to the year 2012. Nintendo was the first in the Videogame market to release an 8th generation console, the Wii U. Just like its predecessor, Nintendo struggled to convince consumers as to why their system should be picked over the technically superior alternatives it shared a store shelf with. The console in itself was rushed, perhaps as a result of Nintendo being blinded by the billions in profits that their 7th generation console raked in. It released with lackluster graphics, limited third party support, an appalling library of games and a controller that’s more suited for use as a weapon than for gaming. Compared to the Xbox One and PS4, the Wii U barely makes a dent in their specs.

Read more: http://techazuri.com/read/how-will-nintendo-s-switch-fare-in-the-console-wars-/49rv293zg6
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by astarotte: 4:56pm On Nov 25, 2016
Techazuri:
If anyone is familiar with the YouTube channel TechnoBuffalo, they’d probably have come across a video series named The Console Wars. This is a series of videos that is dedicated to pitting gaming consoles from major companies against one another in a battle for supremacy. The series analyzes various features of game consoles namely media playback, CPU and GPU power, video output options, connectivity options, online gaming, console form factor, controller form factor, amongst many others. This video series started with the 7th generation consoles, the PS3 and XBOX 360. But surprisingly or unsurprisingly, the series creator and narrator Lasse Pulkinnen left out Nintendo’s Wii, which also happens to be a 7th gen console.

First, let’s take an in-depth look at the Nintendo Wii.
This console launched in 2006 as Nintendo’s flagship 7th gen console. The Wii introduced a motion sensing controller that instantly made it popular. The controller allowed players to use physical movements to control on-screen characters, a feature which was unheard of with the PS3 and XBOX 360. For example, in a baseball Videogame, in order to swing a baseball bat, the player actually swings the controller like a bat. This system was much less expensive than Microsoft and Sony’s consoles, and was more appealing to kids of varying ages. The Wii also lacked support from major third party developers, and thus was much less compelling to traditional gamers. Perhaps it was omitted from the console wars because it eschewed technical prowess for an innovative motion-based controller, we’ll never know.

Fast forward to the year 2012. Nintendo was the first in the Videogame market to release an 8th generation console, the Wii U. Just like its predecessor, Nintendo struggled to convince consumers as to why their system should be picked over the technically superior alternatives it shared a store shelf with. The console in itself was rushed, perhaps as a result of Nintendo being blinded by the billions in profits that their 7th generation console raked in. It released with lackluster graphics, limited third party support, an appalling library of games and a controller that’s more suited for use as a weapon than for gaming. Compared to the Xbox One and PS4, the Wii U barely makes a dent in their specs.

Read more: http://techazuri.com/read/how-will-nintendo-s-switch-fare-in-the-console-wars-/49rv293zg6

I don't know about other gamers but I'm up for a handheld console that is a lot more powerful than the psvita. I can tell that this is what a lot of gamers have been waiting for.
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by HyDef(m): 11:04pm On Nov 25, 2016
astarotte:

I don't know about other gamers but I'm up for a handheld console that is a lot more powerful than the psvita. I can tell that this is what a lot of gamers have been waiting for.

And so am I. I mean, this is basically what I've been waiting for. A handheld that isn't exactly that, and then I get all my favourite first party titles? That's a yes for me.
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by Techazuri: 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2016
Do you think Nintendo can deliver on that? I mean, you need to have a lots of Game publishers working with you.
HyDef:

And so am I. I mean, this is basically what I've been waiting for. A handheld that isn't exactly that, and then I get all my favourite first party titles? That's a yes for me.
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by HyDef(m): 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2016
Techazuri:
Do you think Nintendo can deliver on that? I mean, you need to have a lots of Game publishers working with you.

Well, to me, the main catch of Nintendo is their first party offerings. You've got Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, and Mario. Et cetera.

Seeing as they are Nintendo's own property, they can make as many games as they want featuring these characters. About other publishers, they already have quite a large list of publishers who have already started developing for the console, and based on the only ad for it so far, we might get to see Skyrim, although Bethesda said something very political, which might me we may or may not see portable Skyrim.

Of course, we'll get a platformer in the form of some unnamed Mario game that was shown in the ad as well, and then Mario Kart obviously. Breath of the Wild as well, and probably some Super Smash Bros ( grin) later down the line.

I had a Nintendo 64, and then a GBA SP, so I'm well versed in Nintendo's franchises, and perhaps why I'm so excited for this. I can't wait for next year when more details will be revealed regarding this console. I'm worried about battery life, and perhaps how much power it can really crank out, but why I admire Nintendo is that they realize that it is fruitless for them to compete in the power race with Sony and Microsoft. They just won't win there, so they have to win somehow else.

TL;DR: I do believe they can deliver.
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by Techazuri: 6:08pm On Nov 29, 2016
Good points, I think Nintendo is trying to appeal to gamers in general NOT as a competition, their games evoke some feeling of nostalgia and their consoles are priced relatively cheap that even the hardcore gamers wouldn't mind getting a Nintendo console just to play their first party games.

Rumour has it that the switch will be priced at $199.99. At that price, you won't feel like you're cashing out a lot for the console.

HyDef:

Well, to me, the main catch of Nintendo is their first party offerings. You've got Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, and Mario. Et cetera.

Seeing as they are Nintendo's own property, they can make as many games as they want featuring these characters. About other publishers, they already have quite a large list of publishers who have already started developing for the console, and based on the only ad for it so far, we might get to see Skyrim, although Bethesda said something very political, which might me we may or may not see portable Skyrim.

Of course, we'll get a platformer in the form of some unnamed Mario game that was shown in the ad as well, and then Mario Kart obviously. Breath of the Wild as well, and probably some Super Smash Bros ( grin) later down the line.

I had a Nintendo 64, and then a GBA SP, so I'm well versed in Nintendo's franchises, and perhaps why I'm so excited for this. I can't wait for next year when more details will be revealed regarding this console. I'm worried about battery life, and perhaps how much power it can really crank out, but why I admire Nintendo is that they realize that it is fruitless for them to compete in the power race with Sony and Microsoft. They just won't win there, so they have to win somehow else.

TL;DR: I do believe they can deliver.
Re: How Will Nintendo’s Switch Fare In The Console Wars? by HyDef(m): 11:53pm On Nov 29, 2016
Techazuri:
Good points, I think Nintendo is trying to appeal to gamers in general NOT as a competition, their games evoke some feeling of nostalgia and their consoles are priced relatively cheap that even the hardcore gamers wouldn't mind getting a Nintendo console just to play their first party games.

Rumour has it that the switch will be priced at $199.99. At that price, you won't feel like you're cashing out a lot for the console.

Exactly, the nostalgia is a very strong factor in the sales of their consoles for more hardcore gamers.

Just look at how the NES mini-edition is sold out all over. People are hoarding these things and reselling them for ridiculous prices on eBay. That's the nostalgia right there.

$200 seems cheap, but here's hoping. More information on the 13th of January.

(1) (Reply)

The Wait Is Over! Get The Latest PS3 Games On Your Hacked PS3 (3.55 CFW)! / PUBG Mobile Hack Unlimited Health Download / Online Gamers 4 Ps3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.