Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best (1133 Views)

What Are The Worst Movies You Saw In 2018? / Planeta Confirmed Cast. 2018 Superhero Movies / Review Of Nollywood In 2016. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by Yungkida(m): 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
2016 has been an amazing year for superhero movie lovers like me. The year had the release of 8 superhero movies. Now if you are old enough to remember when the release of just 1 superhero movie in a year was a massive event, then you'll understand why 8 feels like a whole lot. There has been no greater time for the need of a hero, as the world faces the possible greatest threat ever to mankind (US president-elect), am just happy we can still have superheroes to give us hope.

2016 was a landmark year in this respect as all three of the major superhero movie universes – Disney’s MCU, Warner Bros’ DCEU and Fox’s X-Men universe – released two films apiece. The fact that we had a large number of releases didn't mean they all nailed it. I'd argue that less of the 2016’s superhero movies truly nailed it.

Now that we are not expecting the release of any other superhero movie this year, I can safely rank the 8 superhero movies released this year from the worst to the best. This is my ranking and if you feel any different, feel free to share yours in the comment box below.

8. Max Steel (October 2016)

If you've never heard of this movie, you are forgiven. I actually just heard about it last week, which is weird since it has this Transformers feel. This adaptation of the Mattel toy range had probably seemed like a surefire hit to the producers and executives of this movie, but unfortunately, the movie sunk without a trace. It couldn't even meet a quarter of its budget, how sad for a superhero movie.

The plot of the movie is plainly dumb (only God knows what they were thinking), the seven-year-old I saw the movie with thought it was someone playing ironman, just to tell you how the movie was basically a rip-off. Another thing that killed the movie, was the characters. The actors were so bland. Truth is, if you haven't seen the movie, you are better off that way.

7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (June 2016)

This movie almost killed my childhood memories of watching TMNT cartoons. The producer Micheal Bay offended me, with the realisation of the characters, muddled storytelling and general Bayisms (e.g. leering over Megan Fox). The first movie didn't really buy me, but I was hoping they would do better with the sequel. They did try since Out of the shadows didn't have a high bar to match, it wasn't much of a surprise to me that the movie did better than its predecessor.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't think superhero movies are for Megan Fox, she just has a way of annoying me in these movies (Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, TMNT, TMNT: Out of the shadows). The movie is even stranger and crazier than the last one, with a bizarre plot that’s hard to get your head around just because it’s so nonsensical. The excessive action also means that such things as character depth are swept aside.

Unfortunately for TMNT fans, Out of the Shadows’ poor box office performance has led to the announcement that a third film is probably not in the works.

6. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 2016)

This is one movie I am happy I didn't go see in the cinema. I literally danced when my friends got back and related the horrible experience of sitting for 151 minutes for this movie. After the horrible experience I went through after seeing Man of Steel, I was really happy I didn't go through that for a second time. But I couldn't help myself, I had to just watch the movie and enjoy seeing Superman again. One thing I got from the movie is that Warner Bros didn't learn to from Man of Steel criticisms. The movie as still dark, too grim and lacked a story. The fight choreography was poor, the movie dragged, that it took me two days to finish it.

This movie was a crushing let down since it was one of the most hyped superhero movies. But I am sure the producers don't really care since the movie pulled in a whopping $873.3 million from the box office. I just hope 2017'S Justice League will be a million times better than BvS.

5. Suicide Squad (August 2016)

I seriously don't know which is worse in BvS and Suicide Squad. They both were hyped and they both flopped. Suicide squad was one movie I was really excited to see since I love villains. I felt it was a movie that will be able to show us another side to some of our DC villains, but instead it just dragged on and on.

The movie had some characters that shouldn't have even been in the movie in the first place. What was Captain Boomerang contribution in the movie? The movie had too many characters that were just mumbled up. I didn't get to see joker as much as I would have liked. The villain was just an insult to other villains. The only character that stood out for me was just Harley Quinn. If not for her (and the money I paid to see the movie), am sure I would have walked out halfway through the movie.

4. X-men: Apocalypse (May 2016)

As it is, Apocalypse is comfortably the weakest of the First Class trilogy, a trilogy that I was only just beginning to like. Apocalypse was just a disappointment to X-men fans. The villain was not even scary, this is supposed to be a mutant that can bring the end of the world, yet it felt like a giant smurf trying to be mean. If you are looking for a decent popcorn-muncher to while away a couple of hours then you and see this movie, but really this movie didn't do it for me.

3. Doctor Strange (October 2016)

Welcome to magic and mysticism in a Marvel movie. If you've seen this movie, you might wonder why it falls to my number 3, well I guess that's just the way I feel, but no doubt this movie is a must watch for superhero movie lovers. When I found out one of my favourite English actors Benedict Cumberbatch, will be playing the main character, Dr Strange, I was a bit sceptical. But one thing I have learnt about him is that he can pull off the character of an arrogant genius anytime (see The Imitation Game).

The visuals of this movie are sick. Director Scott Derrickson delivers the most eye-popping Marvel movie yet, as Strange and his cohorts warp reality in a series of psychedelic, trippy action sequences. Visually, it’s probably the studio’s most exciting film yet.

I can't wait to see Dr Strange interact with the other Avengers in Infinity War.

2. Deadpool (January 2016)

I almost ranked this movie as my number 1 superhero movie of 2016, but I have to admit, there is one superhero movie that stole the show this year. Have you ever gone to see a movie, and weeks later you are still thankful that you saw the movie? That was how I felt after seeing Deadpool. This movie was the first superhero movie of the year, and it set the bar high in terms of both audience reaction and box office success. I didn't even know a character like Deadpool can have his own movie. His character was butchered in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I wasn't really expecting anything from this character. But after seeing the trailer to Deadpool I knew I had to go see this movie.

Ryan Renolds plays the character of foul-mouthed, irreverent super human Deadpool since he is neither a hero nor a villain. The movie was rated R for a reason because Deadpool is the most foul-mouthed superhero/villain ever (Iron Man is sarcastic, not foul-mouthed). The director Tim Miller should be commended for making the most of the R-rating in some great action sequences.

It's safe to say that Deadpool has become the new face of the X-Men franchise.

1. Captain America: Civil War (April 2016)

There’s only one film that can be claimed as the best superhero movie of the year. Bringing just about every hero in the MCU together for an emotionally-resonant, fanboy or girl -pleasing punch-up, Captain America: Civil War was everything I hoped it would be. It’s tough to say whether it is the best Marvel movie so far, but it’s certainly up there.

This movie introduced me to the Black Panther (now I can't wait to see the movie) and a funny, witty spiderman. Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. both give terrific performances as the two friends brought into conflict by both their differing ideologies and their personal feelings for the Winter Soldier.

Earning comfortably over $1 billion at the global box office, Civil War stands as the highest-grossing film of the year. Obviously, all the previous movies helped to give it a boost, but what this really proves is that if you give the public a good film they’ll come to watch it.

Tell me what you think about my ranking in the comment box below...

Source; http://vergehub.com/2016-superhero-movies-ranked-from-worst-to-best/

1 Like

Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by freesinzu(m): 5:52pm On Nov 23, 2016
You nailed it bro grin
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by MJBOLT: 8:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
nice one
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by Jokerman(m): 9:58am On Nov 24, 2016
Batman superman was all bleeped up... I am waiting for JL 2017
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by philfearon(m): 5:29am On Nov 25, 2016
When you actually understand the point that was being portrayed in BVS:DOJ, you will wrap your head around the movie and enjoy it. I have watched the movie almost 4 times, and each was always an thrilling experience!
By the way, where is ANTMAN? You forgot it?
It's a consensus that Captain America is the best Superheroe movie this year!

1 Like

Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by penzino(m): 8:06am On Nov 25, 2016
This list is Spot on!!!
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by MJBOLT: 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2016
philfearon:
When you actually understand the point that was being portrayed in BVS:DOJ, you will wrap your head around the movie and enjoy it. I have watched the movie almost 4 times, and each was always an thrilling experience!
By the way, where is ANTMAN? You forgot it?
It's a consensus that Captain America is the best Superheroe movie this year!

when did antman become a 2016 movie?? By the way antman is far better than dawn of justice
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by philfearon(m): 9:37pm On Nov 25, 2016
MJBOLT:

when did antman become a 2016 movie?? By the way antman is far better than dawn of justice
Oh sorry i forgot myself!
As for ANTMAN being better than BVS, i got nothing to say to you!
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by okhiai1(m): 1:54am On Nov 26, 2016
Bvs is the last Superman am watching I swear soooooooooooooooooooooo annoying thank God I did not go and watch it In a cinema
Re: 2016 Superhero Movies Ranked From Worst To Best by Imhandsome: 9:48am On Nov 26, 2016
this captain America: civil war .... has bin highly rated... think I'll download it soon

(1) (Reply)

25 Real-life Cartoon Lookalikes / 2019 Nigerian Movies / Here Are Top 5 Nigerian Movies To Watch In August 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.