Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App (2561 Views)

Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / Popular Traditional Names In Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo With Their English Meaning / Learn To Speak Ikwerre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by mecksoncrown: 5:03am On Nov 24, 2016
I am trying to learn how to speak the igbo Language. I stumbled on an app(now my companion) that could help me get better at it. Wouldn't mind help from anyone as long as it's going to help me improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWof41BNCyA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by Niyeal(m): 5:46am On Nov 24, 2016
Igbo kwenu, kedu o, ebe ano. Check my signature and sign up to be smart
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by bigfrancis21: 7:21am On Nov 24, 2016
You're trying. You need to improve on your pronunciations.

Stop is kwusi. It's different from kosi in yoruba. Yoruba doesn't really have 'kw' in the alphabet so you'll need to learn the 'kw' pronunciation.

Were nwayoo means take it easy or calm down.

Turn around is also 'tugharia' or 'tuyalia' in anambra Igbo.

If you want to learn Igbo i'll say start with basic statements from nouns and verbs.

Nna biko bia - father please come.
Nna m biko gawa - my daddy please be going
Nne m biko chere m - my mommy please wait for me.
Nna biko gozie nne m - father please bless my mom.
Chukwu gozie gi - God bless you
Chukwu gozie unu - God bless you all (una in pidgin comes from 'unu' in Igbo)
Chukwu gozie anyi - God bless us/we
Anyi na-abia - We are coming
I bu onye? - literally, you are who?
I no ebee? - literally, you dey where?/where are you?
Onye bu nna gi? Who is your dad?
Nna m bu Maazi Chinedu - my dad is Maazi Chinedu
Gini bu afa gi - what is your name?
Afa m bu David - my name is David.
Gini bu afa nne gi? - what is your mom's name?
Afa nne m bu Madam Nneoma - my mom's name is Madam Nneoma
Biko hapu m aka - please leave me alone.

So far i'll give you a '4' but you can improve. You're doing good so far!

I can teach you more. Your best bet to learn will be to speak with a native speaker. Cheers!
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by mecksoncrown: 7:49am On Nov 24, 2016
bigfrancis21:
You're trying. You need to improve on your pronunciations.

Stop is kwusi. It's different from kosi in yoruba. Yoruba doesn't really have 'kw' in the alphabet so you'll need to learn the 'kw' pronunciation.

Were nwayoo means take it easy or calm down.

Turn around is also 'tugharia' or 'tuyalia' in anambra Igbo.

If you want to learn Igbo i'll say start with basic statements from nouns and verbs.

Nna biko bia - father please come.
Nna m biko gawa - my daddy please be going
Nne m biko chere m - my mommy please wait for me.
Nna biko gozie nne m - father please bless my mom.
Chukwu gozie gi - God bless you
Chukwu gozie unu - God bless you all (una in pidgin comes from 'unu' in Igbo)
Chukwu gozie anyi - God bless us/we
Anyi na-abia - We are coming
I bu onye? - literally, you are who?
I no ebee? - literally, you dey where?/where are you?
Onye bu nna gi? Who is your dad?
Nna m bu Maazi Chinedu - my dad is Maazi Chinedu
Gini bu afa gi - what is your name?
Afa m bu David - my name is David.
Gini bu afa nne gi? - what is your mom's name?
Afa nne m bu Madam Nneoma - my mom's name is Madam Nneoma
Biko hapu m aka - please leave me alone.

So far i'll give you a '4' but you can improve. You're doing good so far!

I can teach you more. Your best bet to learn will be to speak with a native speaker. Cheers!
I really appreciate this. I've already written down what you listed. The problem is getting a native speaker, they will just be forming like 'don't worry, later' that's why I decided to opt for an app. 4 is not that bad, it means I need more work on it. Thanks, I will find someone who's ready to speak with me.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by bigfrancis21: 8:25am On Nov 24, 2016
mecksoncrown:
I really appreciate this. I've already written down what you listed. The problem is getting a native speaker, they will just be forming like 'don't worry, later' that's why I decided to opt for an app. 4 is not that bad, it means I need more work on it. Thanks, I will find someone who's ready to speak with me.

Keep it up bro. I don't mind teaching you more but I am currently in the united states. Phone calls could be expensive. cheesy

I can ask my friends and see who is willing to teach you and I can connect you two together.
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by mecksoncrown: 8:29am On Nov 24, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Keep it up bro. I don't mind teaching you more but I am currently in the united states. Phone calls could be expensive. cheesy

I can ask my friends and see who is willing to teach you and I can connect you two together.
Thanks, It will be a pleasure. Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by AkinPhysicist: 3:19am On Nov 25, 2016
cool Your best bet is to get a Yoruba person who speaks fluent Igbo to teach you. That way you learn from someone who understands your situation as a Yoruba speaker. I know of one Egba boy on Nairaland who is a genuine Igbo speaker - confirmed by people who actually met him in person. Unfortunately I do not have his contact and its been awhile I have seen him active on Nairaland. However, if you wanna send him a PM his handle is Emilokoiya (something) look him up. Generally, Igbos don't like to teach others their language (they feel they are letting you in a some secret you shouldn't know) - its one of the reasons why their tongue is more likely to become extinct than the other two major languages. Anyway, good luck to you cool
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by YourNemesis: 2:19pm On Nov 25, 2016
AkinPhysicist:
cool Your best bet is to get a Yoruba person who speaks fluent Igbo to teach you. That way you learn from someone who understands your situation as a Yoruba speaker. I know of one Egba boy on Nairaland who is a genuine Igbo speaker - confirmed by people who actually met him in person. Unfortunately I do not have his contact and its been awhile I have seen him active on Nairaland. However, if you wanna send him a PM his handle is Emilokoiya (something) look him up. Generally, Igbos don't like to teach others their language (they feel they are letting you in a some secret you shouldn't know) - its one of the reasons why their tongue is more likely to become extinct than the other two major languages. Anyway, good luck to you cool

No, it is because Igbo is hard....
The people you are all asking to teach you Igbo... you are just giving them a herculean task to surmount.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by bigfrancis21: 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

The people you are all asking to teach you Igbo... you are just giving them a herculean task to surmount.
'

Igbo is not hard to learn. If you put your interest into it you'll learn it.
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by YourNemesis: 2:39pm On Nov 25, 2016
bigfrancis21:
'

Igbo is not hard to learn. If you put your interest into it you'll learn it.

I did Igbo in my sec school..
Used one textbook like that called Mbido Igbo 1...2...3 ....
I learnt a lot sha, and can construct some basic grammar grin
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by kingvibora: 3:03pm On Nov 25, 2016
Baba Igbo is a very hard language to learn, unless you pay keen interest in learning. one word can mean and sound in five different ways
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by bigfrancis21: 3:20pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

I did Igbo in my sec school..
Used one textbook like that called Mbido Igbo 1...2...3 ....
I learnt a lot sha, and can construct some basic grammar grin

Really? What state are you from?
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by bigfrancis21: 3:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
kingvibora:
Baba Igbo is a very hard language to learn, unless you pay keen interest in learning. one word can mean and sound in five different ways

It's the same as Yoruba where one word can have several meanings depending on pronunciation. For example, 'ogun'.

I've met several Yorubas who speak Igbo fluently. One Yoruba actor, Ayo emmanuel, recently featured in an Igbo language movie. The thing is not too many Yorubas are willing to relocate from the west to the east or Niger delta to live. And among the few that do, just a few of them bother to learn Igbo or Ibibio etc spoken in their new environments. Pre-civil war days, when Enugu was the capital of eastern Nigeria, many ibibios/efiks loved to go to Enugu for secondary school primarily to learn Igbo. Enugu was the 'Lagos' of eastern Nigeria where the Ibibios/Efiks went to school to pick up Igbo language. Today, the majority of the adult ibibio/efik generation can either speak or understand Igbo. The same cannot be said for many of the younger ones, though many express desire to learn.

Nowadays, hausas tend to demonstrate more willingness to learn Igbo than Yorubas. In Owerri, for example, I spent 14 years there are many hausas there who speak Igbo well, mainly for business purposes and it works well for them. They have an area along Douglas road called 'ama awusa' where they've established home or base for decades now since the early 1900s and if you happen to walk in front of there they would rush to you speaking Igbo to attract you to do business with them. There are very few Yoruba traders in the east, maybe in Onitsha, mostly in the tailoring business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by AkinPhysicist: 3:37pm On Nov 25, 2016
YourNemesis:

cool How do you know Igbo is hard? Isn't it your mother tongue? Did you ever have to learn it? Lets hear from people who had to learn it. cool
Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by babyfaceafrica: 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2016
No language is easy,no one should say igbo is hard...if you put your heart to it,you will learn any language

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App by surrogatesng: 12:25pm On Apr 26, 2021
hh

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? / Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad / Enjoy My Awori Historical Praise Poetry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.