Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,420 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Is There Any Thing Like Nigerian English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is There Any Thing Like Nigerian English? (378 Views)

War Of Words As Nigerian English Recognised By Oxford English Dictionary / Oxford English Dictionary Has Added A Number Of New Words From Nigerian English / I Have Never See A Thing Like This Before (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Thing Like Nigerian English? by kingsman66(m): 9:02pm On Nov 24, 2016
I went in search of business opportunities somewhere and as a rule you need must look for the person in charge of making decisions. I asked for the general manager but the administrative staff member of the firm asked that I come back as the GM was away on an official trip. I got the contact number of the staff member. On said day I called him to remind him of my appointment but she said I should “chill” as the GM was not in the office yet. Chill? I was surprised. We didn’t go to school together, not sure if we were of the same generation but she asked me to “chill” so I “chilled”. The other day I needed to host a show concerned with depression and sanity and so I went to a psychiatric hospital. The Chief Medical Director asked that I be taken to a consultant to schedule a day for the taping of the show. The young male chaperon, an administrative staffer, introduced me to the consultant as “this guy is from CMD and wants to…” I cut him off. Guy? He apologised and said, “man” with no “gentle” I ventured to an insurance company, but the security details were not in the guard post and so I walked in, since I knew the office I had business with. No sooner did I take two steps than a fellow hollered, “bros.” I turned, walked back to him and asked if he had called me “bros”. He lied and retorted that he called me, “boss.” I smiled. I discussed these encounters with a friend, a graduate of English, and he wondered why I should be bothered, because there is something called Nigerian English. Nigerian English? Is there a Nigerian English? English is English. igbo my native language is igbo. I doubt if any serious-minded worker will last long in any organisation if he goes about asking his boss to “just chill” or addresses him as “bros”. I doubt if the unemployed would get jobs in a Fortune 1000 or 500 company by telling job Interviewers to “chill”.”
Re: Is There Any Thing Like Nigerian English? by DanPel(m): 9:58am On Nov 25, 2016
Betterment,disvirgin,badness,it has want to rain,tade she is a girl,fetch me water come this are some of nigeria language.
FTC... Dedicated to my Crush on nl.

(1) (Reply)

AP Police SI Preliminary Results 2016 / Personalize Learning For Students / Study/transfer Into Ecole De Techniciens Superieurs Du Benin, Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.