Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,983 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? (1230 Views)

This Is The Proper Use Of “would” Or “could” In Sentence Structure / How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. / Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 25, 2016
An example of using both "been" and "being" in a sentence is: "I have been to Paris five times, and I am being considered for the position of ambassador." "Being" is the present participle of the verb "be," while "been" is the past participle.

"Being" and "been" are both forms of the English verb "be." They are both participle verbs that require an auxiliary verb to precede them. These two words have different grammatical structures, and thus one only uses the word "been" after some form of the verb "have" but can use "being" in two different ways.

The verb "have" is the auxiliary verb for "been" while any present-tense form of the verb "be" can precede "being." "Being" can be used as both a noun and a present participle after a form of the verb "be," such as "is," "am," "are," "was" and "were."

Some other examples of the word "been" in a sentence are:

They have been called already today.
She has been asked to leave before.

An example of the word "being" as a noun is: We are all human beings.

"Being" is used as a present partciple in these examples:
You are being impossible!
Who is being the leader in this situation?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by Rrabbit: 8:30am On Nov 25, 2016
This is fantastic! grin

Tribal warlords, please come and learn English here! grin

Op, I salute you! grin

Lalasticlala please do the needful Asap! grin
Re: How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by careersome: 8:34am On Nov 25, 2016
another explanation***

being is most times confused with the word been. As a rule, the word been is always used after have (in any form, e.g., has, had , will have , having ). The word
being is never used after have . Being is used after to be (in any form, e.g., am , is ,
are , was, were ).

http://careersome.com
Re: How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by ObaKlaz: 9:02am On Nov 25, 2016
No disrespect, bro. But instead of this needless topic, why don't you just grab the Brighter Grammar series or use Google?!
Re: How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by kdfemi(m): 9:54am On Nov 25, 2016
ObaKlaz:
No disrespect, bro. But instead of this needless topic, why don't you just grab the Brighter Grammar series or use Google?!
why don't you keep your stupid idea to your self. Some people might not even know the difference or occurred to them so this thread is sort of awareness

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Use "Been" Or "Being" In A Sentence? by ObaKlaz: 10:07am On Nov 25, 2016
kdfemi:
why don't you keep your stupid idea to your self. Some people might not even know the difference or occurred to them so this thread is sort of awareness
Stupid idea? Choose your words carefully.

(1) (Reply)

The Outcome Of The Much Awaited Meeting Of ASUU (LAUTECH CHAPTER ) Held Today / Unilag Postgraduate 2017/2018:How To Make Payment &Complete Form Yourself EASILY / Ever Wondered Why UNILORIN Lecturers Don’t Go On Strike? VP SSANU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.