Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Where Can A Philosophy Graduate Work? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Where Can A Philosophy Graduate Work? (1924 Views)

Can Someone With B.A Philosophy Lecture Citizenship Education In Polytechnics. / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? / What Certification Course Or Program Can A Philosophy Graduate Apply For. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Can A Philosophy Graduate Work? by Profmaojo: 12:30pm On Nov 28, 2016
my younger just gain admission to study philosophy in place of law in AAU ...my question is wat are d job opportunities for a philosophy graduate... pls try to be specific as saying anywhere is tantamount to nowhere....I will be very glad if all philosophy graduate in this nairaland can tell me what they are currently doing...and how is life as a philosophy graduate.....hope it is not a waste of money....because d sch fees no be here ooo......shud he just take jamb again next year?
Re: Where Can A Philosophy Graduate Work? by Filosofa: 5:19pm On Nov 28, 2016
Excuse my question pls: are u a graduate? Cos if ua, u wont ask dat question. U would have attended GST classes on philosophy and logic and ur doubts will have been cleared. For d interest of d one who will b studying d course, here ua:

First I want to let you know that unemployment is not restricted to philosophy or the humanities disciplines. Even graduates of the business faculty, social sciences, engineering, law and even medicine are not finding it easy. Yes a lawyer may do his private practice stuff but the possibility of breaking even soon is close to nil. That's why you get to hear people call some of them "charge and bail" lawyers meaning that they help sign forms to bail persons with police cases sometimes for as low as 2k.
I think the philosophy graduate stands a better ground in a job interview in any field. While you study law for instance, the philosopher has studied philosophy of law which familiarizes him with all the theories and schools of thought in law. There is always a philosophy of....... That's why the philosophy graduate can speak authoritatively about virtually every discipline. Why would he get stuck or stranded halfway? That's only possible if he wasn't doing his homework. As far as I know, no other discipline in the humanities, natural or social sciences offers the depth and breadth that philosophy gives to her adherents. Little wonder Dr Chuba Okadigbo said that a PhD in philosophy is the end of learning. If you're looking for how to make money without capital, you may need to sign up at some factory as a worker. Many disciplines are incapable of giving you free money if you're not on some internship or training. I think if your SIWES experience was interesting you may continue with it on your own. Knowledge of philosophy is useful as well. That's why universities offer the GST course on Philosophy. It's intended to broaden your mind and familiarize you with the intricacies of supporting your conclusions and beliefs with valid points and not just defer to authority unnecessarily. No discipline does that better than philosophy.

(1) (Reply)

Army Day Secondary School Sobi Barracks, Ilorin,kwara State In Shambles. / Lagos Makes U-turn, Orders Reopening Of Primary, Secondary Schools Sept 21 / I Don't Know The Father Of My Baby - Pregnant Student Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.