Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,074 members, 7,814,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? (9349 Views)

Where Can I Buy An Automatic Compressor For My Camry 2008? / Photos: Chinese Man Brings Coins To Buy An SUV, Takes 4 Staff 12 Hours To Finish / Please Where Can I Buy An Oil Filter Spanner In Abuja (modified) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Xevioso: 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
Looking at the fate of Innoson and other African car brands, what would you need before you paid similar money to that of a Chinese made vehicle for one made on the continent?
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Whizpeter(m): 7:26pm On Nov 28, 2016
I'd first take English classes so that I can negotiate with the dealers better... undecided

7 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by billy187(m): 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
A couple of well publicized crash tests.

2 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by sultaan(m): 5:07am On Nov 29, 2016
There is no such thing as African brand.

Innoson and almost all the rest are Chinese Assembled rebadged automobiles.

Just post the pic of the car label by the door frame and let us see the vin number(manufacturer and serial number)

http://global.innosonmotors.com/innoson-vehicle-manufacturing-ivm/

If you want a car made in your name, go to alibaba.com
Look for any car or truck you like
Order the specified minimum or what you need
if you have a special request like changing the grill and light, you can.

Get your import waiver, regular allocation of dollars, line of credit
Then call yourself a manufacturer which could be true by Nigerian standard.
IF your inventory is backed up you can resell your regular dollar allocation to keep business afloat since it is a lot easier to make 40% profit overnight at the parallel market.

The fact is those models are not exclusive so all the badging is removable, there is no engraved manufacturer or model name on any of the trims.
So if you remove the badge on the steering, back and front of the car it will be blank and you can call it anything you like.

If you think Ghana make Katanka, well they are like Innoson too

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/family-and-commericial-double-use-7_1163937882.html

http://answersafrica.com/cars-made-in-africa.html

I am just stating the facts

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Godian45(m): 7:19am On Nov 29, 2016
i was here
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Nokio1: 7:22am On Nov 29, 2016
Sey African car is elephant?
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

Just post the pic of the car label by the door frame and let us see the vin number(manufacturer and serial number)

IF your inventory is backed up you can resell your regular dollar allocation to keep business afloat since it is a lot easier to make 40% profit overnight at the parallel market.

The fact is those models are not exclusive so all the badging is removable, there is no engraved manufacturer or model name on any of the trims.
So if you remove the badge on the steering, back and front of the car it will be blank and you can call it anything you like.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/family-and-commericial-double-use-7_1163937882.html

Wickedness now you just made innoson seem ordinary.

I once entered IVM and swore never to enter again
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by PhonePlanet(m): 7:23am On Nov 29, 2016
Dear my fellow Nigerian, A directive has been sent out by the Nigerian Communication Commission(NCC) to all telecommunication network in Nigeria. This will result in increase of data rates which will take effect from 1st of December, 2016. I am very sure your service provider has notified you about this development already.
In this year and time we live in, Data is suppose to be more affordable and not more expensive. And looking at the ease/advantages the internet has added to our everyday life, increment of data rates will only make it harder to access the internet thereby taking us backwards instead of forward.
Therefore, In disagreement with this move by NCC and telecommunication companies, we have made an effort stop this from taking effect by creating an online petition at Change.org and we need you to sign it to show your support. The link to the petition is: https://www.change.org/p/nigeria-communication-commission-ncc-data-plans-rates-by-carriers-in-nigeria-should-not-be-increased-by-ncc?recruiter=642402116&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
Please I already believe you would sign this petition to show your support for us and against NCC. But you also have to share/re-broadcast this message to as many people as you can. Thank you as you do so.

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by kings09(m): 7:28am On Nov 29, 2016
Wat was d experience like
IjogzK:

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by samdavjustin(m): 7:30am On Nov 29, 2016
Let's be honest here. There is nothing special about what Innoson does anybody with money can do it. They don't make or design their engines. As far as am consign IVM is another Chinese made car only assembly in Nigeria. When African companies start to innovate people will start to buy them and pay more for them.

5 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 29, 2016
I would like to ask a question or kinda like a poll.

Would you be willing to buy a brand new Peugeot 505 (with 2 air bags, abs, fuel injection) for NGN1,000,000

hit like if yes and share if no.

Thanks

11 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by billy187(m): 7:36am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

Wow, I knew something like that was going on, I just didn't know it was THAT easy as going on an online market to buy a bunch!
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by NaLaugh: 7:37am On Nov 29, 2016
The government should be made to buy cars made in their own countries.

1 Like

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Viktor1983(m): 7:42am On Nov 29, 2016
All join
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by AnodaIT(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2016
Warranty and if I see government patronising the brand
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by henrydadon(m): 7:47am On Nov 29, 2016
grin
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by PHIPEX(m): 7:59am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

Quite easy to sit behind your system and pontificate on how to be a millionaire, same argument some make about Dangote, how it's govt patronage that made him yet thousands of others had same patronage and made nothing. Innoson brand is a success story already and no matter how much you try to demystify it you can't take it away from him. Give honour to whom it's due. There is nothing special about Nairaland but Seun is a genus to have made it possible.

It takes a genus to do what he's doing, even without a fact to back your claim you still think you have all about him figured out.

13 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by ToySoldier2: 8:04am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

I would have just ignored this but to educate some folks.
My first car was a Mazda 626lx 1998. As I began to change the parts, I discovered that most of the engine and electrical parts are either made by Bosch, Ford and other companies. Now I drive a Toyota camry and the same thing applies. One in a while you see companies collaborate to float a new model. With the engine coming from one and other parts from the others. The mercerdes set of Pick up Trucks hitting the market now are made in collaboration with Nissan and Renault. If you feel it's that easy, go to alibaba and order YOURS! Mr cynic

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Yoshy: 8:06am On Nov 29, 2016
Call it assembling, manufacturing or whatever you damn think u can. The truth remains that it's done here in Nigeria and it's offering people jobs...some American companies do take their specifications to China too because of how cheap and convinient it's to get it manufactured there. And hey! If you think IVM ain't doing enough, it's a free and open market. Come onboard and compete but don't be online typing trash.

13 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 29, 2016
Laudable/timely move!... After filling my details, all efforts at signing proved abortive! Check n confirm.
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by thoollz: 8:12am On Nov 29, 2016
Well it would take years and recognition
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Yoshy: 8:16am On Nov 29, 2016
ToySoldier2:
My first car was a Mazda 626lx 1998. As I began to change the parts, I discovered that most of the engine and electrical parts are either made by Bosch, Ford and other companies. Now I drive a Toyota camry and the same thing applies. One in a while you see companies collaborate to float a new model. With the engine coming from one and other parts from the others. The mercerdes set of Pick up Trucks hitting the market now are made in collaboration with Nissan and Renault. If you feel it's that easy, go to alibaba and order YOURS! Mr cynic
thank you, even in laptops by top brands, you open it and see different parts made by other companies.

5 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by chinweubajude(m): 8:18am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

this write up justifies that you don't know what in innoson does

Innoson manufacture all most all the components like fiber, headlamp, body etc only part he don't make here is the engine.

7 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by ToySoldier2: 8:18am On Nov 29, 2016
Yoshy:
Call it assembling, manufacturing or whatever you damn think u can. The truth remains that it's done here in Nigeria and it's offering people jobs...some American companies do take their specifications to China too because of how cheap and convinient it's to get it manufactured there. And hey! If you think IVM ain't doing enough, it's a free and open market. Come onboard and compete but don't be online typing trash.
Even this op thinks he is educated but he is not.
In Production, there's what's called comparative cost advantage. This principle tells you it is econically foolish to produce what another person can produce at a much cheaper cost. Now, productive advantage depends on availability of Men, materials, machine, and technology. This is the reason manufacturing companies collaborate. Go and buy pure water next time, ask the pure water maker was the one that manufactured the sachet. We are arguing over a piece of shit

8 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Kolade9(m): 8:23am On Nov 29, 2016
PHIPEX:
Quite easy to sit behind your system and pontificate on how to be a millionaire, same argument some make about Dangote, how it's govt patronage that made him yet thousands of others had same patronage and made nothing. Innoson brand is a success story already and no matter how much you try to demystify it you can't take it away from him. Give honour to whom it's due. There is nothing special about Nairaland but Seun is a genus to have made it possible.

It takes a genus to do what he's doing, even without a fact to back your claim you still think you have all about him figured out.

Seun is not a genus

he's a specie grin

2 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by bishopkay: 8:34am On Nov 29, 2016
ToySoldier2:

Very apt reply. Something people don't know is this; it takes an estimated 23 different companies who produce different parts to collaborate to bring a car into existence.

The thing I know Inosson doesn't produce in Nigeria is his engines. Maybe some other intricate parts such as brain box etc. But give the man some credit.

The person wen dey criticise so, u sabi mould ordinary block?

9 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by tunde2222: 8:53am On Nov 29, 2016
Why?
IjogzK:

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 29, 2016
sultaan:

Innoson and almost all the rest are Chinese Assembled rebadged automobiles..................

won't he start somewhere? How many American cars are made in America? Many of them are assembled in America with parts manufactured in Mexico, china Europe etc Is assembly not better than importing and selling? how many skilled workers do you need to import and sell, how many do you need to assemble and sell...which is better?

You don't have to buy innoson, I won't buy Innoson (at least not yet) but don't bad mouth a man who is actually trying to put Nigeria on the Map when it comes to the Auto Industry.

4 Likes

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by refreshrate: 9:12am On Nov 29, 2016
PhonePlanet:
Dear my fellow Nigerian, A directive has been sent out by the Nigerian Communication Commission(NCC) to all telecommunication network in Nigeria. This will result in increase of data rates which will take effect from 1st of December, 2016. I am very sure your service provider has notified you about this development already.
In this year and time we live in, Data is suppose to be more affordable and not more expensive. And looking at the ease/advantages the internet has added to our everyday life, increment of data rates will only make it harder to access the internet thereby taking us backwards instead of forward.
Therefore, In disagreement with this move by NCC and telecommunication companies, we have made an effort stop this from taking effect by creating an online petition at Change.org and we need you to sign it to show your support. The link to the petition is: https://www.change.org/p/nigeria-communication-commission-ncc-data-plans-rates-by-carriers-in-nigeria-should-not-be-increased-by-ncc?recruiter=642402116&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
Please I already believe you would sign this petition to show your support for us and against NCC. But you also have to share/re-broadcast this message to as many people as you can. Thank you as you do so.

Kanye West. Just be ranting what absolutely has nothing to do with the topic you hear?
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by sakalisis(m): 9:12am On Nov 29, 2016
Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by refreshrate: 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
PhonePlanet:

...just as its doing Kanye West that's how it's doing this one.
Did you read the title at all?

1 Like

Re: What Would It Take For You To Buy An African Car? by vonTOBBY(m): 9:22am On Nov 29, 2016
If it can FLY especially in Lagos TRAFFIC

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue / 5 Amazingly Smart Accessories For Your Car / I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.