Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,413 members, 7,861,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:36 AM

Gareth Southgate Confirmed As New England Manager - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gareth Southgate Confirmed As New England Manager (389 Views)

England Coach Gareth Southgate Snubs Tammy Abraham Again / All 32 Teams In 2019-20 UCL Group Stages Confirmed As Draw Takes Place On 29 Aug / Thierry Henry Confirmed As New AS Monaco Coach (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gareth Southgate Confirmed As New England Manager by lawnreigh(m): 4:49pm On Nov 30, 2016
Gareth Southgate appointed England manager on four-year contract
30 Nov
Southgate appointed England manager
Gareth Southgate has been appointed as England manager on a four-year deal.
Southgate, 46, stepped up from his role as England Under-21s manager in September following Sam Allardyce's departure after only 67 days in charge.
He oversaw two wins and two draws as interim boss and has signed a contract reportedly worth up to £2m a year.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the players over these past four games and I think there is huge potential," said Southgate.
ANALYSIS: Is Southgate good enough for England?
"I am extremely proud to be appointed England manager. However, I am also conscious getting the job is one thing, now I want to do the job successfully.
"I'm determined to give everything I have to give the country a team that they're proud of and one that they're going to enjoy watching play and develop."
Five reasons to like Southgate's appointment
Former defender Southgate, who made 57 appearances for England as a player, becomes the fourth permanent manager of the national team in as many years.
The ex-Middlesbrough boss oversaw a comfortable World Cup qualifying win
against minnows Malta, before his team laboured to a goalless draw in Slovenia.
He took a significant step towards being appointed full-time manager with a 3-0 win against Scotland in qualifying earlier this month, before his team squandered a 2-0 friendly lead against Spain at Wembley to draw 2-2 four days later.
Before becoming part of the international set-up, Southgate's only managerial experience was his three-year spell at Boro, who were relegated under him in 2009.
Southgate's understanding of international football and the development set-up at St George's Park has proved important, according to Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn.
"Gareth is a great ambassador for what the FA stands for, he's a very good football tactician and a leader, but beneath that he's a winner and that's an important part of the job," he added.

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Player, Victor Moses Wins PFA Fans’ Premier League Player Of The Month A / Unpaid Allowances: We Never Knew Falcons Would Win–fg / Uefa Champions League Last 16 Official Draw 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.