Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India (25619 Views)

FG Rejects Plans By Multichoice To Sack Nigerian Workers / See What Nigerian Workers Did To Their Boss Who Owed Them 4 Months Salary / Total Nigeria Shut Down For Sacking Nigerian Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by 4dor: 5:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
progress69:

They also lost out to IHS for MTN sites.
Interesting, karma is a b***tch.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Caliph69: 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2016
No wonder they sent me two regret mails in a space of 30 minutes two days ago.
It's well.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 01, 2016
4dor:

Interesting, karma is a b***tch.

it is not karma, it is inevitability. if the likes of huawei are beating out ericsson with lower costs, ericsson has no choice but to reduce wages or outsource. people have complained about working conditions in huawei all over the internet. it is also bad those working conditions that make huawei a cheaper option for mtn and co.

sadly it seems the days of good money from telecomms are fast receding.

1 Like

Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
guess what..
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by kenmaro: 6:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
I don't think this is good for Nigeria's sovereignty & security. Modern warfare is fought by air & communication technology. If in a case of external threat to our national security, our communication lines could be shut off cheaply from their abode in favour of our enemy, who might be a political ally to the Indians, because we do not have control over our communication lines. Nigerian government should look into its implications.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by paboye: 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
Thought IHS only monitors power unit in telecom site
progress69:
Erricon ceased to manage mtn sites for more than a year now. They have been loosen the battle to Huawei too before IHS came and swept the whole of MTN sites under their feet. There is no MTN mast to monitor from India. IHS does the whole monitoring. Probably some Airtel masts, which Huawei also monitors.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by paboye: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2016
Hello, That's not possible! What they simply did was to move the NOC which monitors telecom site.(just a software to show if a site is down or up or performing optimally) nothing like security threat here as the back bone infrastructure is still in Nigeria and controlled by operators.
kenmaro:
I don't think this is good for Nigeria's sovereignty & security. Modern warfare is fought by air & communication technology. If in a case of external threat to our national security, our communication lines could be shut off cheaply from their abode in favour of our enemy, who might be a political ally to the Indians, because we do not have control over our communication lines. Nigerian government should look into its implications.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Okpanwu(m): 6:19pm On Dec 01, 2016
It unfortunate Nigerians are treated dis way, and the government of APC sims not to have solution to our problem. may God help Nigeria.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by 4dor: 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
oyb:

it is not karma, it is inevitability. if the likes of huawei are beating out ericsson with lower costs, ericsson has no choice but to reduce wages or outsource. people have complained about working conditions in huawei all over the internet. it is also bad those working conditions that make huawei a cheaper option for mtn and co.

sadly it seems the days of good money from telecomms are fast receding.

You don't know the reason I mentioned Karma, during the hey days of Ericsson, please find out how much they were billing Airtel and how much they paid the Nigerians they recruited. Once you know this you will understand why karma was mentioned.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2016
4dor:

You don't know the reason I mentioned Karma, during the hey days of Ericsson, please find out how much they were billing Airtel and how much they paid the Nigerians they recruited. Once you know this you will understand why karma was mentioned.

hmm

i was under the impression ericsson paid well
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Codes151(m): 8:23pm On Dec 01, 2016
I just hope they compensate all this workers they sacked
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
homerac7:
I wish the lawmakers will as matter of urgency make a law under Local Contents Act (that is if it doesn't exist in this form before ) that any firms moving local jobs offshore should, her clients should get special tax (which should be at least 3x of the premium estimated cost of local labour) to serve as deterrent. You can't want to make money here in Nigeria and pay Indians for it while repatriatingthe profit.
they will not see this kind of laws to make,it's laws like banning a vice president and deputy governor that has ruled in a substantive capacity from contesting for second term that is their problems, laws that will protect the people seem not to be their priority
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by progress69: 8:30pm On Dec 01, 2016
paboye:
Thought IHS only monitors power unit in telecom site

Lol. Power is the money. Ericsson was handling both Tx and Power before. Power is where the money really is. Now they handle only Tx, of which Huawei too is also handling
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by MrRichmond: 8:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
4dor:

This has nothing to do with politics, they lost the Airtel contract to Huawei, so they had to bounce. Moreover in their glory days they exploited our graduates.

they are not bouncing, they're simply out sourcing their jobs to Indians.
In essence they want to make money in Nigeria and employ Indians to work for them because it is cheaper to hire the Indians.
This is the same bullshit Donald Trump is fighting against in America.
The question is, will Buhari help fight this?
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Uncletony(m): 11:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
hia

Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by femooshad(m): 3:39am On Dec 02, 2016
4dor:

This has nothing to do with politics, they lost the Airtel contract to Huawei, so they had to bounce. Moreover in their glory days they exploited our graduates.

So Huawei has finally gotten Airtel too
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by femooshad(m): 3:42am On Dec 02, 2016
progress69:

Lol. Power is the money. Ericsson was handling both Tx and Power before. Power is where the money really is. Now they handle only Tx, of which Huawei too is also handling

Power ?
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by luvisdkey: 3:56am On Dec 02, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Sad! Why aren't the government doing anything about this sack
Government too sacks their worker. Needless to say private owned business.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 5:36am On Dec 02, 2016
Our stupid selfish lawmakers are never interested in making any useful laws. Hence reason they are still sitting on the Petroleum Industry Bill after 8years.

They spend their time on useless laws and amending and re-amending existing laws.
homerac7:
I wish the lawmakers will as matter of urgency make a law under Local Contents Act (that is if it doesn't exist in this form before ) that any firms moving local jobs offshore should, her clients should get special tax (which should be at least 3x of the premium estimated cost of local labour) to serve as deterrent. You can't want to make money here in Nigeria and pay Indians for it while repatriatingthe profit.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 02, 2016
Who gave you the impression it's cheaper to hire Indians?

So are you saying they are not leaving Nigeria, so the story is essentially a lie?
MrRichmond:

they are not bouncing, they're simply out sourcing their jobs to Indians.
In essence they want to make money in Nigeria and employ Indians to work for them because it is cheaper to hire the Indians.
This is the same bullshit Donald Trump is fighting against in America.
The question is, will Buhari help fight this?
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by bishop4life(m): 6:17am On Dec 02, 2016
westmest:

Spot on, Indian labour is very cheap, the average starting salary for entry level engineer in India is around 200 $, companies like KPMG, ERRICSON and the likes pays 400 $, IBM pays 300$ , and there is huge supply of engineers in india, not that the Indian engineers are better than Nigerian Engineers , it's just that cost of human resource is lesser, as for the 160 workers sacked, it seems erricson has little MS projects in Nigeria.

Your write up seems ok shaa but tell me more about Nigeria having better engineers than India .
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by divalizzy(f): 7:29am On Dec 02, 2016
MMM the way out.....some people still be doubting. Always growing my money in MMM
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by progress69: 7:43am On Dec 02, 2016
femooshad:

Power ?

Wetin dey Tx maintenance undecided
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by EngrKen8(m): 12:06pm On Dec 02, 2016
You just have to love the Indians
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Debaddest:
All because of one Zombie
ur ignorance knows no bounds
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 7:13am On Dec 03, 2016
i wish d govt will make a law with all that all of theses foreign companies in nigeria must employ at least 70% of nigerian graduates and 30% to go to any other foreigners.its a law that can be made.
Our lawmakers are embezzling d money of the country without making laws of benefit to the youths
a law should be made that all companies in nigeria must adopt a nigerian institution to tackle d issue of unemployment.in most school,d industrial training starts from second year.an exam would be conducted in these schools to pick d best students to work for them.d studenys would have an idea of what they are required to have to make it in the real world.the students will in a way want to study hard to maintain their educational standard in order to be retained with the companies they work with. right from second year to final year,u are groomed by these companies and when ure able to maintain their standard requirements,u will be guaranteed to work for them.
The educational standards in nigeria has fallen to a mediocre state as all the companies now have a reason of unemploying the nigerian graduates by saying we are not fit to be employed
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by obyrich(m): 2:01am On Dec 13, 2016
bishop4life:

Your write up seems ok shaa but tell me more about Nigeria having better engineers than India .
Read the article well. I hope you didn't skip where the author stated that some Nigerian engineers were mandated to go to india to tutor the indians on the job. Our problem is lack of confidence in our abilities.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 17, 2016
guess what..
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by bishop4life(m): 4:13pm On Dec 17, 2016
obyrich:
Read the article well. I hope you didn't skip where the author stated that some Nigerian engineers were mandated to go to india to tutor the indians on the job. Our problem is lack of confidence in our abilities.

certainly you read the article passively . I only read of transfer of knowledge. now let me tell you that if you are selling your oracle to an Indian man you must tell him the do s and don't s .it doesn't mean you knowledge mystery or juju practice more than him. now the have been transferring what the were been taught by the company to their new Indian counterparts. it might be locations of the life spans (mask), etc. Don't compare Nigeria and India in engineering (we are not even close).

And then, I laugh at your self confidence
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by obyrich(m): 5:25pm On Dec 17, 2016
bishop4life:

certainly you read the article passively . I only read of transfer of knowledge. now let me tell you that if you are selling your oracle to an Indian man you must tell him the do s and don't s .it doesn't mean you knowledge mystery or juju practice more than him. now the have been transferring what the were been taught by the company to their new Indian counterparts. it might be locations of the life spans (mask), etc. Don't compare Nigeria and India in engineering (we are not even close).

And then, I laugh at your self confidence
Keep laughing while you are being undermined by people you are far better than. I am an talking from experience. I interface with these indians on a daily basis. I no dey talk hearsay.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by bishop4life(m): 12:50pm On Dec 18, 2016
obyrich:
Keep laughing while you are being undermined by people you are far better than. I am an talking from experience. I interface with these indians on a daily basis. I no dey talk hearsay.

Uncle, staying with Indians and Indian engineers are two different things. It's just like saying Nigeria has better engineers than china because you have been with all these halve cooked Chinese technicians that flood Nigeria claiming to be expertriates. I repeat , don't compare Nigeria with India in engineering.

I do respect us when it comes to IT. Nigerians are doing good to themselves in that branch despite frustrations from the government.

self confidence is something I possess more than anyone, but don't let you ego to cloud your judgement. we certainly do have engineers who we can be so proud of, but not all these engineers who spend five years sorting out paper works and ended up submitting paper works as their final project.
Re: Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Takes Jobs To India by obyrich(m): 1:16pm On Dec 18, 2016
bishop4life:

Uncle, staying with Indians and Indian engineers are two different things. It's just like saying Nigeria has better engineers than china because you have been with all these halve cooked Chinese technicians that flood Nigeria claiming to be expertriates. I repeat , don't compare Nigeria with India in engineering.

I do respect us when it comes to IT. Nigerians are doing good to themselves in that branch despite frustrations from the government.

self confidence is something I possess more than anyone, but don't let you ego to cloud your judgement. we certainly do have engineers who we can be so proud of, but not all these engineers who spend five years sorting out paper works and ended up submitting paper works as their final project.
I don't say we are better than Indians in engineering. Go through my write up again. I was trained by an Indian for LTE. The comparison is not between Nigeria and India. Don't undermine your abilities. That's my message for you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Moving To Lagos From Kogi For Greener Pastures / 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing / Things Bosses Say When They Fire People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.