Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,409 members, 7,819,465 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. (1205 Views)

RE: 4 Out Of 5 Pastors Said She Is My Wife, But We Dont See Eye To Eye / “I Dont Wear Pant, If My Child Makes Suspicious Money In Ghana I Wont Take” / Parents Buy Daughter A Car For Her Graduation As A Doctor In South Africa (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by kendallhart(m): 3:20pm On Dec 01, 2016
hello all, I wanna share what's eating me up and hopefully get advice from you.

By this time last year, I told my dad I wanted to study computer science in the university of Ibadan, my dad asked me "is something wrong with you?" I was shocked on hearing his answer. I come from a family of doctors, my mum, dad and my two sisters are all doctors and my dad was expecting me to follow the trend which I don't want to. I said "last last he won't follow me to register" in my mind. the next day, I saw my teacher in my house saying my dad called him for my jamb registration, I was in tears as I saw my form with my dad filled already with medicine and surgery written there. I did my registration and decided that when it's time for jamb. I'll plan to score 220-240.. fast forward to 2016, the time for my jamb examination came, i wrote it and was expecting nothing higher than 240.. I saw my result.. 276.. I was saying this is not my score.. my classmates thought I was being greedy and selfish.. only my best friend knew what was happening.. i made up my mind to fail the post ume.. then the minister of education, dropped it on our heads.. no post ume.. admission was based on a combination of jamb and waec scores. my jamb score was a good one, my waec was glorious.. 4 A's and a C in my required 5 subjects.. I was devastated.. fast forward to everything, I got admitted for medicine and now I'm thinking of rewriting jamb but my mind is at a crossroad.. who do I please? my dad or myself? insults and advices are allowed. thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Edwinmason(m): 3:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
Do not let your father decide your career for you otherwise you would live with a choice that you wil regret later
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by kendallhart(m): 3:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
Edwinmason:
Do not let your father decide your career for you otherwise you would live with a choice that you wil regret later
I just don't want to be seen as the black sheep of the family
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by NL1960: 4:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
kendallhart:
hello all, I wanna share what's eating me up and hopefully get advice from you.

By this time last year, I told my dad I wanted to study computer science in the university of Ibadan, my dad asked me "is something wrong with you?" I was shocked on hearing his answer. I come from a family of doctors, my mum, dad and my two sisters are all doctors and my dad was expecting me to follow the trend which I don't want to. I said "last last he won't follow me to register" in my mind. the next day, I saw my teacher in my house saying my dad called him for my jamb registration, I was in tears as I saw my form with my dad filled already with medicine and surgery written there. I did my registration and decided that when it's time for jamb. I'll plan to score 220-240.. fast forward to 2016, the time for my jamb examination came, i wrote it and was expecting nothing higher than 240.. I saw my result.. 276.. I was saying this is not my score.. my classmates thought I was being greedy and selfish.. only my best friend knew what was happening.. i made up my mind to fail the post ume.. then the minister of education, dropped it on our heads.. no post ume.. admission was based on a combination of jamb and waec scores. my jamb score was a good one, my waec was glorious.. 4 A's and a C in my required 5 subjects.. I was devastated.. fast forward to everything, I got admitted for medicine and now I'm thinking of rewriting jamb but my mind is at a crossroad.. who do I please? my dad or myself? insults and advices are allowed. thank you.

This is a real tough one for you. Iam surprised that your father is pushing you to become a Doctor that you are not interested in becoming after having two daughters (your two sisters) already as Doctors. If you have somebody that your father respects, go and tell the person so that he can talk to your father on your behalf. Computer science is not a bad course.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
You brought this on yourself.

If you really wanted to study computer science, you would have abandoned the biology aspect of jamb completely. Getting a zero on one of the subjects would render your jamb useless and you'd have to do it the following year, after which you'd have enough time and strategies to convince your parents.

Right now, your only option is to flunk first year. But I'm guessing you'll miraculously pass that one too.

On a more serious note, having a medical degree doesn't stop you from pursuing computer science.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Akposb(m): 4:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
I understand the situation you are in as I almost fell into this except for the intervention of my sister. For you to chart a different path, it is surely going to generate opposition from others. If you are so interested in Computer science, try to work on it, don't just confine your thoughts to having a degree in it even if you continue with the medicine and surgery course. If you feel you can't continue, tell your father now or else it will be a frustrating years ahead of you.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Edwinmason(m): 4:17pm On Dec 01, 2016
kendallhart:
I just don't want to be seen as the black sheep of the family
deciding to follow your dream does nt make u a black sheep..beside do what will make you happy 4 the rest of ur life
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Akposb(m): 4:17pm On Dec 01, 2016
I understand the situation you are in as I almost fell into this except for the intervention of my sister. For you to chart a different path, it is surely going to generate opposition from others. If you are so interested in Computer science, try to work on it, don't just confine your thoughts to having a degree in it even if you continue with the medicine and surgery course. If you feel you can't continue, tell your father now or else the years ahead will be so frustrating for you.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by ednut1(m): 4:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
please ur self. One of the problems we have in Nigeria are the parents, believing they are Demi Gods
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Bilabong(m): 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2016
Since u don't have a choice study but don't practice
Dr_sid
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Amber7(f): 7:20pm On Dec 01, 2016
Honestly, it's your life not his. You're the one that'll go to uni, you're the one that'll write the exams. After you graduate, you're the one with that profession. I'd advice you to go with what you want even if it means waiting another year. In life it's good to please people we love but not risking our own happiness in the process. I don't think he'll actually turn against you if your persistent, there may be some conflict but in the long run he'll come around. You shouldn't study what you don't have love or passion for.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by daudayodeji1(m): 10:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
Everyday I thank God the almighty who made my parents fill my jamb form to choose pharmacy. There is a reason why they do so...so that last last in their old age they will not worry about supporting u.... I also have friends who spent years studying medical related courses that they didn't like but did so because of their parents and they r happy because of it. So bros study am... Computer science can be learnt in ur spare time. Take my advise and 10 yes from now u won't regret... Study well and enjoy it because Bros the streets ain't funny

5 Likes

Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Nobody: 12:35am On Dec 02, 2016
Follow your heart by studying computer science. Parents can only advice their kids and guide them during course registration not to force or imposed a particular course on them.

Its unfortunate and pathetic.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by Amhappy(f): 5:42pm On Dec 02, 2016
Study medicine. After graduating if you still want to take up a second degree. You will have more connection and an easier to climb career in medical field. Follow ur passion in computer if it's still there after graduation.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by SonofHim: 10:44pm On Dec 02, 2016
Between your perceived passion and your parents' wisdom...
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by FluffySucre(f): 10:00am On Dec 03, 2016
ednut1:
please ur self. One of the problems we have in Nigeria are the parents, believing they are Demi Gods
So true and very sad. embarassed
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by STENON(f): 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2016
Op...sorry about your predicament. I was also in your situation about some years ago.

My Dad forced me to study medicine by all means...I am an intelligent lady bt I dnt like any discipline that is related to Biology.

I refused the idea and I'm thanking God that I rejected it.
Re: I Dont Want To Be A Doctor. by NL1960: 8:48pm On Dec 03, 2016
STENON:
Op...sorry about your predicament. I was also in your situation about some years ago.

My Dad forced me to study medicine by all means...I am an intelligent lady bt I dnt like any discipline that is related to Biology.

I refused the idea and I'm thanking God that I rejected it.

Since you rejected it, what did you now study?.

(1) (Reply)

Whats The "Karma" For A Married Man? / Marital Rape? / He Broke My Heart But He Wants Me To Dump My Fiance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.