Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance (4382 Views)

Life Of Frustration After NYSC - A Product Of Our Education Curriculum / Worthless Piece Of Paper - Corp Members React In NYSC, Ondo / Nysc A 2017 Wan Do Me See Gobe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 4:59am On Dec 02, 2016
I can boldly say that NYSC is a stupid, worthless, ludicrous, pointless, utterly useless, money-wasting, time-consuming, life-threatening, meaningless, irrational, nonsensical program Nigeria forces on her youths, which is totally unfair.

I have never really been a fan of the stupid program in the first place, and recently, my camp experience in 2016 Batch B, just verified that it is a totally worthless and useless program Nigeria should either scrap off or completely overhaul every activity in the program.

As if the long queues for every single action which could be easily solved by ICT wasn't stressful enough, they had to subject us all to utterly strenuous paramilitary activities. These activities which include drills and matching under intensely hot sun is exhaustive and destructive to human health.
Even when people complain, the soldiers would never listen, until someone faints. We have had several cases of corp members fainting after standing and undergoing immense useless paramilitary training under the hot sun. Military trainings that would not add anything to the our intellectual capability, neither will it build the nation or help us out of the recession.

To worsen the case, the NYSC clinic is poorly stocked with drugs and essential medical equipments. I know this because I happen to be one of the corp members who's also a medical personnel who has to both undergo clinic practice to help the wounded and sick corpers and I still had to do my own torturing military drills under the hot sun as well as.

The shortage of drugs and other basic medical facilities is just too alarming. First of all, the clinic is way below standard. It is just a room with four double bunks which can only take about 8 inpatients, three tables (one for doctors, pharmacists and nurses) and maybe 10 chairs. What wicked government camps over 2600+ Nigerian graduates and provides a clinic of just 8-bed capacity? Only Nigeria would do that. This is arrant nonsense. Stupidity of the highest order from the Federal Govt to the camp director and camp commandant and every other coconut-headed slowpoke that is an executive in the camp. It shows complete incompetence and lack of common sense from their end.

Lots of corp members come down with broken bones, bruises, wounds, swollen feet, malaria, diarrhea, infections, etc of which there are not enough drugs to give them. The kind of treatment the medical corp members are forced to give their fellow corpers is nothing to write home about. We had no choice than to give out incomplete doses to patients asking them to come back for their next doses (refills) with the hope that they will be well (probably miraculously).
The health of corp members is of no priority at all. We all heard reports of death of corpers while in other camps in the country in this same 2016 Batch B. How many more camp deaths do we wanna see online before Nigerians wake up and take action?
It seems we are always slow to act. I pity myself and my beloved country.

They give little time to rest. Once they end a drill, and it's time for breakfast or lunch, remember we are over 2600+, at least 50% would have to queue for food, before we collect our meal or midway eating, it is already time for another round of drills. This is just like a prison, I suppose. So, we have corpers working terrible drills under hot sun with barely-filled or empty stomachs. How's that safe for any human health?
Only a few with medical conditions get exemptions, while those with no medical condition but low physical stamina are forced to endure useless and pointless drills.
If we need to gym, we know where to go and we'll gladly pay for it. But, don't force us to do what will put our lives at risk.
Just last night, we were scared by an emergency wake-up call form the soldier for no apparent reason and they won't tell us why. If only you knew how unsecured and terrified and equally annoyed we felt!

The whole scheme of activities are a bunch of complete nonsense. We spend hours under the sun, damaging our health, risking our lives for no reason. We spend the remaining part of the day listening to stupid lecturers by empty-heads who try to call themselves our parents and we, their wards. Seriously, if you hear them speak, you'll wonder if they have any gray matter in their skulls. Sometimes, I wonder if they think we are kindergarten or primary school pupils because I believe those so-called lectures should be for Junior Sec School pupils at most, and not graduates. There are more important issues we should be discussing which would help shape the future of the country. If those morons think these are what we should be listening to, then, it proves that they only have watermelon as heads.
One slowpoke came to talk about FOI (Freedom of Information act) and less than 2 minutes after the long boring speech, a coconut head came to tell us that when the press would come the following day, we should not interact with them. Anyone caught doing so will be severely punished. What a contradiction! Why teach us freedom of speech if you'll only come to threaten us not to speak. I can give tons and tons of stupid speeches that goes on in camp. Big fools that don't know their left from right...do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do set of morons.
To be fair, only a few of their resource/invited speakers seem to make sense. I would say less than 10% of those who have spoken have discussed key issues.

NYSC should be totally eliminated from the curriculum of Nigerian youths. The least the govt can do is to make it voluntary so that at least, NYSC certificate won't be required for MSc studies and other key requirements for other things. Hence, only those who are willing to undergo the senseless program will go through it.
Left to me, NYSC should be cancelled completely. Or, the curriculum should be overhauled and reviewed to focus on the important issues Nigerian youths need like skill acquisition, entrepreneurship trainings, community service (I just hope their so-called CDS is not a similarly senseless program like camp as well), promoting unity, etc.

Talking about promoting unity, the stupid morons are doing quite the opposite. I wonder who even designed the NYSC program in the first place. Or is it that over decades, it gradually lost its focus and became a death trap for Nigerian youths?

When we have games (football, volleyball, etc), we are not allowed to watch or cheer our platoons. Only the players play on the pitch while the rest of us are under the severely hot sun undergoing drills and training as if we are expecting Cameroon to attack us tomorrow or so.
I believe we can learn from the Olympic games, which brings nations together to play and have fun, thereby fostering unity. But, NYSC is the reverse - players play while the spectators are tortured.

I believe the soldiers should permit corp members to rest when they are tired, but no, they won't. More so, I believe the participation in any kind of Man O' War or paramilitary training should be by choice and not by force.

When NYSC becomes a mini prison which threatens the health and life of corp members without adding any meaningful value to them, I believe this calls for a drastic review of the program.

From the NCC data policy (now paused or reversed hopefully) to the tin-tomato importation ban (due to stupid reasons), I'm afraid to say that I have lost hope in the policy making decisions of the Senate and Nigerian govt. I might even begin to lose hope for a better Nigeria at this rate. God help us all.

Stay tuned. I'll keep pouring out updates as things go on in the camp.
Hopefully, I won't be caught making this post.
Sorry about the grammatical errors, there's no time to proofread the post in between very early wakeup calls and all-day drills till late evening.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by yomi007k(m): 10:10am On Dec 02, 2016
grin

Lmfao....ds is jus d beginning. Wait till u get 2 ur ppa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by LMay(f): 10:46am On Dec 02, 2016
Funny how most graduates anticipate going for NYSC like some status quo or initiation into a social class only to be met by such huge disappointment, or I'd rather say, slapped into reality in camp.

Lol. We await your updates.

4 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by khattab008: 11:44am On Dec 02, 2016
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by austinereds(m): 3:55pm On Dec 02, 2016
Honestly it's a huge waste of time. it's alright. waiting for more updates

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 8:18pm On Dec 02, 2016
I'm back again with another update. Pardon my grammatical errors because I only get few minutes to type in between crazy and useless NYSC activities & stupid-dumb lectures.

I feel the need to share concerning the Kano corp member that died recently. A roommate of mine said that the lady was his classmate in school. So, the death was somewhat close. Sure, all death is painful, and even more painful when it is the life of a youth. And even most painful, when it is on a dumb, useless and pointless program called NYSC.

To the second point about the death, I wouldn't blame the medics on duty because I have a direct experience on the way the NYSC clinic is run. I earlier said that I also have to work in the NYSC clinic due to my course of training. And like I said, the clinic is grossly understocked with basic necessary drugs and medical equipments. Hence, improvisation is the order of the day. It could be possible that the corper doctors actually tried their best to help in the way they could with the limited resources they had in the clinic. But, probably they might not have drugs to counter the anaphylactic reaction the Lady had to the administered drug. Well, just my possible speculations.

At my camp, there are insufficient drugs. We keep giving underdose and dispense daily doses just to ensure the drug lasts. A fellow colleague tried soliciting for drug supplies from senior colleagues and pharmaceutical companies. Eventually, he was able to find someone willing to supply. Do you know what the coconut-heads did next? The NYSC clinic head (who wrongly has no clinical/medical training) hijacked the process from my colleague and insisted that they make the supply with a NYSC letter head. Not that she's wrong, but, what I hated is the mannerism by which she did it and wanting to bring some unnecessary bureaucracy into the supply process.
If those morons actually know what they are doing in the first place, if they can't allocate money for proper clinic stocking, why don't they do the lobbying themselves from the beginning rather than waiting for the initiative of a medic corper pharmacist to seek for free drugs supply. Eventually, despite the company's free supply, drugs at my camp isn't still enough and the lobbying continues. Well, I would advice that other fellow camp pharmacists corpers and medic members too can try lobbying for free drugs if you don't have enough.
This further proves that the Nigerian government is dumb simply because those in govt affairs are dumb. Right from the immediate federal workers to the politicians, bunch of dumb stupid folks.

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by LMay(f): 2:17pm On Dec 04, 2016
Well done with the updates TRalph.

As regards the death of the Kano corp member, I need some clarification to understand how the camp clinic bureaucracy is run.

Who determines the eligibility of a patient for a referral? Of course, I know it should be a doctor. Is this the same in camp clinics or do some powers-that-be grossly overlook any need for referral?

From the account of the girl's elder sister (who happens to be a nurse) that I read online, she said her sister told her on WhatsApp that she had body pains and her temperature was high. Her sis told her to go the camp clinic. She went there and was told she was pretending and only wanted to escape parade. This shows this wasn't an acute case at the beginning. Why not give her at least paracetamol an analgesic; it will bring down the fever and relieve her of the pains. From your account, I'll like to assume there was no paracetamol or any other analgesic available to work with.

The corp doctor allegedly told the girl's sis and uncle on phone, after much pressure, that he will give her a placebo so he injected her with an unknown drug so that the "pretentious" girl and her family can get off his neck. Not long after that, the girl began to have rashes (hives). Any trained medical personnel should know this is an anaphylactic reaction as a result of the treatment given and should know it is a medical emergency.

Of course, I agree that a camp clinic that is grossly understocked would not have Adrenaline inj. to combat the anaphylaxis but why didn't he refer her immediately? He instead said he wants to watch her for some hours. shocked Who watches anaphylactic shock for hours knowing it's life threatening? By this time, the girl had started complaining of her tongue "twisting." When her sister called back, her speech was slurred. Her sis requested that she should be transferred to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital as this was obviously a case that cannot be handled at the clinic, the doc insisted on watching her. At this point, he allegedly sent out her friends and refused to take any more calls from her family. He switched off her phone.

Later, the girl was rushed to Gwarzo general hospital where there was no doctor on duty. Smh @Nigeria. The nurse on duty admitted to her sis there was no drug or doctor on ground. Well, the young lady sadly passed on.

My point? This is a case of Medical error coupled with negligence and understocked health facilities all over the country.

1. A case that wasn't acute became a medical emergency due to iatrogenic reasons that you caused by giving random injection as placebo without taking her medical history into account and yet you decided to watch her when things were beginning to go out of hand? This corp doctor well understood he was working in a grossly understocked facility, why did he decide to watch her?

2. Why can't the FG put at least 1 experienced hand (a consultant) in a camp clinic serving thousands of people undergoing excruciating paramilitary drills day in-day out? There's every tendency that the camp administrators won't take corp doctors serious owing to the silly age custom in Nig but a consultant is an agbalagba like them overiding any bureaucracy that may want to come up with referrals. He's also well experienced to recognise an emergency when he sees one.

3. Why is paramilitary drills necessary if the sole aim of NYSC is for national integration? Dem wan recruit una into army? A light morning jogging is okay. The rest should be only social activities.

3b. Why make soldiers train civilians? Soldiers are trained hardcore. They are trained not to have mercy. They will never believe a sick corp member asking not to partake in the drills of the day. They lack sympathy by training. They are trained to kill. So expect extremely rash attitude from them. I blame the FG for this. Never put civilians who are not terrorists at the mercy of soldiers.

4. When will Nigeria ever grow? Nothing works in that country. Hospital is rubbish. Education is not working. Police is not working. Electricity is not working. Govt is not working and lots more. My heart bleeds cry

RIP Oladepo Ifedolapo. Your nation failed you!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2016
@LMay yeah I agree with you. It is very very stupid of the federal govt to have a clinic without at least one consultant to cater for and oversee the medical activities. This among other silly reasons are why the clinic at NYSC camps are grossly inefficient.
In addition, the NYSC official heading the clinic has no clinical or medical training whatsoever. While the next in command is a matron who probably has nothing upstairs because it seems she hasn't practised outside the four walls of a sitting room with bunks of beds called a clinic.
How do we expect lives to be saved from unnecessary strenuous and stupid military activities in such a clinic? I shake my head for Nigeria and the way she treats her graduate with useless NYSC and unemployment afterwards.

Another major update from my camp is that of theft. The female hostel has witnessed major thefts ranging from expensive phones to jewelries and so on. The camp director kept raining abuses on girls to stop stealing every morning at the devotion/morning drills. Eventually, few days later the actual thief was caught red-handed with the stolen phone still with her in her hands. Lots of ladies took her pictures. To our surprise, it was an NYSC staff. She enters the hostel to search and steal stuffs after all corp members has been chased out of the hostel for compulsory forceful stupid activities.
The worst of it all is that, the next day at the morning devotion/morning drills, the camp director and camp officials stylishly covered up the issue of the stealing official who was caught. They said the issue is under investigation. For goodness sake, if it was a corp member that was caught red-handed, we are pretty sure the person will face serious disciplinary actions. But, it has been 4 days now and nothing has been done about the issue and no update about their so-called stupid and useless investigation.

About a week and half to the end of orientation camp, and I still fail to see any reasonable point for the useless and wasteful program called NYSC.
The camp is still controlled by nutheads officials and empty-head soldiers. I believe a computer program, as rigid as it seems, is more sensible than most soldiers who don't understand anything whatsoever. This is true for about 90% of their staffs and soldiers.
Till next time for more updates.

5 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 05, 2016
This is highly interesting. I've always been against NYSC solely for the reason that it's a time waster and has long outlived its purpose and relevance. Now new reasons why this obselete scheme should be scrapped keeps on materializing daily.

cc
Chumaster
Dream2
kapable75
justifiedcoyy
chiefojiji
posiimi
abbie25
phate007
awakeuche
johnqueen
aydeluxe
haychay
guruvicawelt
pls tag other gracelanders to see this.
lalasticlala

You all should read this

3 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by aydeluxe(m): 4:04pm On Dec 05, 2016
Fabulocity:
This is highly interesting. I've always been against NYSC solely for the reason that it's a time waster and has long outlived its purpose and relevance. Now new reasons why this obselete scheme should be scrapped keeps on materializing daily.

cc
Chumaster
Dream2
kapable75
justifiedcoyy
chiefojiji
posiimi
abbie25
phate007
awakeuche
johnqueen
aydeluxe
haychay
guruvicawelt
lalasticlala

You all should read this

I think Fg needs to review it, it cost alot to keep youths for 21days ,especially in this recession period, certain aspects of nysc arent bad tho, but the scheme needs a review nd overhauling asap..

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Dream2(m): 4:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
I have friends and families that have undergone and still undergoing the NYSC scheme,I must say their experiences differ,some are fun-filled,some are bitter experiences.
My question is: The NYSC DG(Kazaure) have being visiting various camps across the nation,he always assembled and address corp members, is there no chance for questions and answers session with the corp members?because I don't get it,the negative news about this scheme is becoming something else.
We can't continue to write and write about this NYSC non-challant attitudes towards the corp members and expect a quick response/change/reviews,after his speech,someone need to raise his hand and voice out on what is happening in the camp,NYSC camp should not be see as a prison yard.

cc:
TRalph

Fabulocity
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
Did you read the part where he mentioned that after being lectured about the importance of freedom of speech, the corps members were severely warned by the camp officials not to interact with the press or they'd face strict sanctions? I'm sure something very similar would have happened in these camps were the DG visited. They'd be warned not to ask questions like this, which they'd feel threatened by or questions that will question the authenticity and relevance of what they do.
Dream2:
I have friends and families that have undergone and still undergoing the NYSC scheme,I must say their experiences differ,some are fun-filled,some are bitter experiences.
My question is: The NYSC DG(Kazaure) have being visiting various camps across the nation,he always assembled and address corp members, is there no chance for questions and answers session with the corp members?because I don't get it,the negative news about this scheme is becoming something else.
We can't continue to write and write about this NYSC non-challant attitudes towards the corp members and expect a quick response/change/reviews,after his speech,someone need to raise his hand and voice out on what is happening in the camp,NYSC camp should not be see as a prison yard.

cc:
TRalph

Fabulocity

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2016
Fabulocity:

cc
Chumaster
Dream2
kapable75
justifiedcoyy
chiefojiji
posiimi
abbie25
phate007
awakeuche
johnqueen
aydeluxe
haychay
guruvicawelt
lalasticlala

You all should read this
My sister, you know why i no speak english? na because e dey get some kin matter wey dey quick tire me. but truth is, there are lots of people who benefits alot 4rm dis scheme and you talking them into scrapping it wil be tantamount to fixing a broken mirror. but then, since we are left with little or no option concerning this issue than to just serve. i think we should just put in our best and impact as many lives as possible. remember, anything worth doing is worth doing well

4 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Dream2(m): 6:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Fabulocity:
Did you read the part where he mentioned that after being lectured about the importance of freedom of speech, the corps members were severely warned by the camp officials not to interact with the press or they'd face strict sanctions? I'm sure something very similar would have happened in these camps were the DG visited. They'd be warned not to ask questions like this, which they'd feel threatened by or questions that will question the authenticity and relevance of what they do.
Hmmmm,it is well.
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 8:27am On Dec 06, 2016
@Dream2 at my camp, we haven't seen any NYSC DG (Kazaure), let alone, having the opportunity to raise our concerns.
@Fabulocity is right. Even if we do, I'm pretty sure we won't get the chance to voice anything useful.
Also, @Dream2 I think I respect those who MINDFULLY or MINDLESSLY are able to catch fun at camp despite all. Though, I guess majority of those who catch fun are those who come back to the room after social activities 8:30-10:30pm and all they ever discuss about is girls and girls and girls and how they plan to have illicit sex with girls they've met after camp.

I wonder why NYSC is still as it is for over 3 decades. I know all my rants here might make no difference in the long run, but at least, I believe the truth/fact should be stated.
If the program can't be restructured/reviewed to train youths to meet the current global needs and face the challenges of the 21st century, then, it should be scrapped irrespective of corruption or sentiments or whatever might be involved.
If the program keeps experiencing deaths of precious youths due to poor clinic facilities, then, the clinics should either be upgraded or the program scrapped.

Stay tuned till I get time for more updates.
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Dream2(m): 10:54am On Dec 06, 2016
TRalph:
@Dream2 at my camp, we haven't seen any NYSC DG (Kazaure), let alone, having the opportunity to raise our concerns.
@Fabulocity is right. Even if we do, I'm pretty sure we won't get the chance to voice anything useful.
Also, @Dream2 I think I respect those who MINDFULLY or MINDLESSLY are able to catch fun at camp despite all. Though, I guess majority of those who catch fun are those who come back to the room after social activities 8:30-10:30pm and all they ever discuss about is girls and girls and girls and how they plan to have illicit sex with girls they've met after camp.

I wonder why NYSC is still as it is for over 3 decades. I know all my rants here might make no difference in the long run, but at least, I believe the truth/fact should be stated.
If the program can't be restructured/reviewed to train youths to meet the current global needs and face the challenges of the 21st century, then, it should be scrapped irrespective of corruption or sentiments or whatever might be involved.
If the program keeps experiencing deaths of precious youths due to poor clinic facilities, then, the clinics should either be upgraded or the program scrapped.

Stay tuned till I get time for more updates.
Which state/camp is that?
Moreover,It's not all that do indulge in girls/ladies talk nor illicit sex of a thing,various funs abound bro.
I'm not in support of scrapping the scheme but am in for policy reviews.
Please endeavor to keep us update bro.

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 7:13pm On Dec 06, 2016
Dream2:

Which state/camp is that?
Moreover,It's not all that do indulge in girls/ladies talk nor illicit sex of a thing,various funs abound bro.
I'm not in support of scrapping the scheme but am in for policy reviews.
Please endeavor to keep us update bro.

Thanks.
Sorry, I'm somewhat reluctant to share the camp state for now.
I already mentioned as a corp member, I work in the clinic and with some specifics so far, if I mention the camp state, anyone will be able to trace me. So, for some weird reasons, I just feel safe to keep the camp state anonymous for now (till after camp hopefully).

Yeah, not EVERYONE have fun with girls talk. I've met a few (very very few) fellow corp member who have found fun and inspiration in the SAED programs (which happens to be one good thing about NYSC and I do hope NYSC focuses more on that in the reviewed version, that is, if they ever review the program). Others catch fun via the limited sports and social activities. And like I said, I guess I respect them for their ability to catch fun despite all either MINDFULLY or MINDLESSLY.

I should have an update tomorrow or day after, hopefully.

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 3:05pm On Dec 09, 2016
I've posted this long ago and I'm not sure why Nairaland removed my comment and sort of temporarily banned me. Anyways, I hope Nairaland doesn't ban me again.

This update is about the mostly stupid and immensely dumb NYSC lectures. It is purely my opinion though.

First, I agree that in an ideal situation, not 100% of all the lectures will be appealing, let alone, relevant to 100% of the population. However, anything short of 30% relevance is totally stupid and 20% appealing is extremely wasteful (both of time and resources).

So far, I can broadly categorize the lectures into two sections:
1. Sponsored lectures
2. Non sponsored lectures

The non-sponsored lectures are the likes of SERVICON, FOI Act, NDLEA, NEMA, SON, CBN, BOI, BOA, NAFDAC, etc. Usually, they are unbiased lectures because they are meant to educate and inform us. To be fair, I'll say on the average, most of these lectures have been barely OK. At least, they spoke and made us know that they still exist. Some of the topics were delivered by NYSC staff, most of which I felt was an insult to the intelligence of graduates. For example, a lady spoke on "Gender Issues". At first, I wondered if I was in primary school listening to a "boys are better than girls" moderated debate. I also felt, if the offcials think such a substandard lecture on the topic was what we should be listening to, then, that's insulting to the intelligence of Nigerian graduates. Or, if the officials think the delivered lecture is standard enough for the topic, then, that verifies that they are just plain stupid. At least, a simple solution would be to invite notable Nigerians grounded on the subject to deliver the lectures, rather than forcefully feeding us with crap. I could go on giving specific examples on such topics and how they were delivered, but, the anger in me will just keep boiling. Moreover, I barely have enough time in camp to write.
As for the sponsored lectures, they were grossly dumb, and completely biased. They paid a sizeable fee to get the 5mins, 10mins, 20mins, 30mins, etc opportunity to speak, hence, the talks are financially motivated. Usually, they had businesses to promote which made them to make bogus claims that were just plain stupid to hear and also bad for business (for those who actually know how to do business). Nonetheless, a couple of lectures made some sense. Eg, a man delivered a standard lecture on how to compose a business plan, stating all the factors to be considered and how to carryout each section including market research, and he concluded on the services that his business offers to SMEs. So far, that is about the most sensible lecture given. Others are just plain and open display of stupidity and ludicrous logorrhea.
I wondered why NYSC would permit someone to talk on and promote any of those money schemes out there. As an entrepreneur and the little I know about economic theories and policies, I have some negative reservations about such money schemes, but, that's not the topic of discussion. Nonetheless, I wouldn't condemn anyone who participates in it. A lady spoke on such money schemes and referrals. Even most secular organizations and communities I know of wouldn't permit such. Even Nairaland don't permit such. Let alone, a program that is meant to equip Nigerian youths.

In summary, my conclusion is this: less than 10% of the lectures make any sense at all. And approximately 2% of these lectures are relevant in training the Nigerian youth to effectively face the global challenges, or least, survive or thrive in the Nigerian economy.

More than two weeks into the NYSC camp orientation program, and I still fail to pick out any mustard seed of sense in the program.
Less than one week to go. Stay tuned for more updates.
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 12:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
Updates on the clinic activities:
Not much has improved yet in the clinic's general conditions.

Ambulance:
I might have forgotten to mention that in my first week of arrival, the camp ambulace had no functioning car battery. The battery was borrowed from someone else's personal car and used to start the ambulance. I got to know this info when the driver was bitterly complaining to the matron and clinic head.
Well, I don't have an update on the ambulance situation since my activities didn't involve the ambulance. Just that a colleague of mine who accompanied the matron and medics in the ambulance during an emergency transfer of a patient to the teaching hospital said that all the drugs, infusions and even syringes in the ambulance are all expired.

Drugs:
We are still out very important drugs. While the ones we have are barely enough.
The few we could lobby from some pharmaceutical industries, community pharmacies, etc are also running out fast. Moreover, there are limits to what they could spare us for free.
We sometimes get humble donations of drugs from fellow corp members who's parents live nearby and got them excess drugs that they could spare some for the clinic.
And a couple of times, the clinic head gives some minute cash to buy essential emergency drugs that are running out like Salbutamol nebules, Iv Hydrocort, etc

Emergencies at & after Camp Fire:
Yesterday's camp fire was like a disaster in the making. The carnival and camp fire started quite late. It rained during the carnival and it was quite cold. We were forced out of the hostel and other refuge places after the rained stopped to join the carnival.
And that's when the emergencies started. Corp members who were already asthmatic started having attacks and they kept rushing them in one after the other. I was glad I wasn't really on duty, just that the activities at carnival and camp fire was just too boring and pointless to me, so, I managed to take refuge at the clinic, hiding. In a space of 5 mins, the medics had handled at least 3 asthma attacks. Shortly after, people without history of asthma were rushed in by friends and soldiers, carrying them by head, shoulders, legs and back. It got to a point that I lost count of emergencies cases after number 10 when I was forced to join the dispensary.

Obviously, the rain - cold, camp fire - smoke were all triggers to these asthmas. At a point, after we complained to the clinic head, she informed the camp director that the hostel should be open and made voluntary for people to attend the camp fire. After some bureaucracy and play of power between the clinic head, camp directory and army commandant, I guess they succumbed to the clinic head and opened the hostel for voluntary return few hours later.
When things died down a bit, I went to the parade ground again and I was surprised to see tons of students jumping and dancing and smooching and kind of having fun and I wonder, what a world! I had to return early to bed around past 11pm or so only to resume by 5am to meet more emergency cases rushed in. Thank goodness there haven't been any deaths so far and I can only pray there won't be any till the end.

The summary is that I believe the camp doctors, nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, lab scientists, dentists, optometrists, etc are all seriously trying under such poor clinic circumstances, equipments and drug stocks.
BTW, we aren't exempted from the strenuous camp activities once we are off shift. Hence, it is even much more strenuous for us.

I learnt that some NYSC officials of some sort are visiting camp clinics across the nation. I do hope they go round and make effective changes and upgrades to all the NYSC clinics nationwide. I do hope each state director don't sugar dress the clinics prior to their inspection in a bid to make things look falsely good.
I can only hope a change/improvement is done, especially if this pointless and useless NYSC (that forces Nigerian graduates to go through meaningless stress under dangerous conditions) should continue.

NYSC and/or Federal govt should allocate serious cash to upgrade the clinics. I got to realize that year in&out, the medical team contribute cash to buy equipments and stuffs for the clinic. So, our contributions are almost done to get something we think would be useful running into a few hundred thousands. But, to me, this is just a temporary fix which is still pointless because how much can we all contribute and how much stuffs can we all buy? It is meaningless compared to the actual millions that should be used to upgrade the clinics to a minimum standard once for all which will help prevent unnecessary deaths at NYSC camps.

Stay tuned for my next update on the SAED program once I get the time.

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by smartiyke78: 9:47pm On Dec 11, 2016
TRalph, I apreciate ur effort in taking out time from dat nothing but another levle of imprisonmnt without crime or mayb d crime of becoming a graduate envirnmnt calld NYSC orientation camp.
It is very dishertning d way d govt. has succeded in manipulating d mind of d average Nigerian (youth) graduate to take d unscrupulous, apauling nd life treatning scam not scheme call NYSC as if d next phase of dia life after graduation depends on it.

Ralph, doh am not suprised dat ure bging to join som of us who had gone nd came out nd som who re prsently serving to cry out for d scraping or repositioning of d scheme if at all it can b maintaind cos dis country calld nigeria has lost it....

I am a corp member presntly serving d compulsory 1 year jail term in Akwaibom state nd i must say dat its all an effort dat does not worth d time.

I dont hv time to bgin to recount some of d unfortunate xperiences goin on dia nd still going cos i hav been on d go crying out for an end to b put on dis nonsense calld nysc. Bur one xpriens i will not fget in a haste in dat while on dat prison yard calld camp ground, i fel ill nd wen i went to dat ramshackled one room aptment wit 3 hospital beds for over 1900 corp members on camp, dia was no drug for threatmnt evn panadol or para’ And I ws askd by d coper medical personel to go to mami nd look for paracetamol atleast nd sprite or team softdrink as alternative for drip’
There re indeed so many tins to say abt dis program which is all on d negative.

Another alarming concern is dat d primary assignment of d corp members now is to teach in primary nd secondry schools even u a medical traind profesional nd oda profesional field graduates are not xempted. Could dis b d means of unifying nigeria which dey say is d goal of d scheme?

I cant xpress how bad i feel presntly abt dis rubish just as most of us stil serving are complaining.
D nysc certificate which is d crown of d whol tin at d end does not guarantee any good job nd i dat dont dpend on it in d first place cos i hav alrdy given myslf employment but d nysc tin has grossly affected my busines dat i hv lost some customers due to my on nd off presenc in d biz.

For me i tink scraping or reshaping of d program is a matter of urgency. I jst pray de take action twards dis outcry to atleast save more souls from being cutoff in dia prime nd save destiny nd future of d youths from dis 1 year waste dat could amount to much if properly put into productive production.

4 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by demelza: 1:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
I have studied the plans I have for myself and I have come to the conclusion that NYSC does not have any factor in it.
I don't have one year to go and waste on frivolities.
The meeting of friends and social life is something I did quite well in the university and that is enough for me.
On the issue of the pittance which some see as enticing, without tooting my horn, I have made almost double of that in a week just doing what I do.
I have decided that I won't go. Would rather use that time to hone my skills and become a professional in it.
Going through your thread has made me see I won't be missing out on much.
Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 7:04am On Dec 15, 2016
Since camp ended, it seems the stress and nonsense of NYSC continues even after camp as the struggle to sort out PPA continues. So, I have had no time to update the thread.

Concerning the SAED program as promised, the summary of my thoughts on it is this:

If anything should be retained in NYSC, it should be SAED. However, it should be completely reviewed.
First, we arguably would agree that our government has nothing to offer to us (from no jobs to poor health system to poor infrastructures to open corruption and so on), hence, it is every citizen for himself, no matter your profession or career path. Therefore, if the educational system won't give us the necessary skill for survival in the 21st century Nigeria, any scheme that remotely offers something useful should be encouraged.

However, most of the SAED program is grossly misguided. I can say this first hand because I personally went through all of the classes seeking for anything slightly interesting. From ICT to public speaking to shoe making to hair-doing to cosmetology, I couldn't find anything to spur my interest.
Sure, the tutors tried and most corpers listened, but something critical was missing.

Starting a profitable business is more than just having a skill. I say this because I run a business myself. You might have the best of skills and produce the best of products/services, but, no marketing skills, you won't sell anything and no managerial skills, you will waste resources. More so, without passion and a sense of purpose to keep you through the first formative months or years in the business, you'll quit once you face the basic challenges of starting out. That is why only few can testify of a viable business since SAED started out in NYSC camps few years ago.
I believe, every corp member should first find out their passion before selecting a skill to learn before setting up anything. S/he should be a voracious reader of books and materials in other to manage time well and thrive.

The next critical point is that quite a number of the tutors in my camp were grossly unskilled to teach. I good example was the ICT section. Oh my! Don't get me started on that. So, maybe better screening of tutors should be done to put that in place.

There isn't time for more specific updates anymore. But, generally speaking, NYSC is arrant nonsense. SAED gets a score of barely 35% but that is still not enough reason to waste the lives and time of fresh Nigerian youths for a whole year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2016
demelza:
I have studied the plans I have for myself and I have come to the conclusion that NYSC does not have any factor in it.
I don't have one year to go and waste on frivolities.
The meeting of friends and social life is something I did quite well in the university and that is enough for me.
On the issue of the pittance which some see as enticing, without tooting my horn, I have made almost double of that in a week just doing what I do.
I have decided that I won't go. Would rather use that time to hone my skills and become a professional in it.
Going through your thread has made me see I won't be missing out on much.
Thank you

I admire your courage to skip NYSC and I really wish I could do so too. But, my career and business is closely tied with my license which NYSC is needed to complete its processing. Hence, my reason to forcefully endure the useless scheme.

This is why some of us are advocating that the useless scheme be abandoned or at least made voluntary so that other things like Masters and so on won't be tied to it.

So, please for goodness sake, let this time wasting and pointless scheme be abolished.
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by omotayo9177: 8:58am On Dec 15, 2016
Traph padi mi... tho I ddnt read all the posts, but I can relate to all the things you described. my experience in kebbi state is a story for another day. those 12months were like 12years. NYSC should be scrapped. it has outlived its purpose. those idiots at house of assembly should do something. just endure bro. God will see y ok u through... miss you small...lol (wesleyan)

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 1:18am On Dec 16, 2016
omotayo9177:
Traph padi mi... tho I ddnt read all the posts, but I can relate to all the things you described. my experience in kebbi state is a story for another day. those 12months were like 12years. NYSC should be scrapped. it has outlived its purpose. those idiots at house of assembly should do something. just endure bro. God will see y ok u through... miss you small...lol (wesleyan)

Lol
Wesleyans arise whatever the price... Bi eni ti nse irense
Hopefully, we will meet soon :-) smiley
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by omotayo9177: 10:21am On Dec 16, 2016
TRalph:

Lol Wesleyans arise whatever the price... Bi eni ti nse irense Hopefully, we will meet soon :-) smiley
*iranse*.... yea bro. we should.

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Opiletool(m): 1:48pm On Dec 17, 2016
Very useless scheme indeed. A time wasting programme.
Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by TRalph(m): 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2017
Finally, it ended today. Thanks be to God. It has personally been a year full of challenges, victories, memorable moments and achievements.
As earlier promised, I'm to give a feedback after the scheme ends.

In all, my perspective hasn't changed much at all. The motive, attitude, flow, reasoning, etc of how the scheme started right from camp continued as such till the last day of passing out.

At collection of certificates, there was the usual frustrations of (stressful but avoidable) long queues. Those who could shunt and jump in did as such. Nothing changed in the orientation of the youths right from camp till last day. Long queues that are readily avoidable with proper process flow still remained the same. Nothing changed in the perspectives of the scheme's staff members.
This makes me to think that Nigeria (maybe Africa at large) are so damn used to the status quo that the slightest improvement of some sorts wouldn't be welcomed / encouraged or at least cross our tiny minds.

Everything can be hacked. There is always a loophole. If you find it and exploit it, good for you. But, we need to be able to look at the bigger picture as a nation.

Youth on selfies and selfies on youths. Laughs and hugs. Smiles and clicks. Knees bent, eyebrows raised, bla bla bla. It seemed fun but I can't help but wonder if that's all to it.
I'm sure it is good to live in the moment and savor every fragrance of life as it comes. But, it is also good to think about the next moment as the next starts from the current.

Anyways, back to the scheme. It makes no sense if after decades of running it, nothing much has changed. The same orientation of lies, corruption, indifference, mediocrity, lack of standards, lobbyists, etc continued from camp till last day.
Sincerely, there is no progress for this nation until a lot of things are overhauled.

As Nigerians (or maybe Africans), we love to celebrate mediocrity. Things that lack substance and common sense are often at the top of our list. Things that would negatively affect the future of generations unborn is at the tip of our fingers. We fail to see with our minds, but, only with our eyes. No vision, only sight. Hence, we are caught up in the mediocrity of things, thinking only of the now and looking up to the Divine for intervention. Have we ever wondered, what is the difference between a developed nation and a third world nation? It isn't farfetched. We are the roots and the rooftops of our very own problems as a nation.

If only the scheme can focus on Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship, labelled as SAED, along with Community Services, labelled as CDS, while every other useless labels like PPA, camping, pointless parades and marching, etc can be heavily revised or scrapped, then, we might have a chance of breeding a pack of seasoned youths for the country... youths with entrepreneurship or socio-preneurship mindsets respectively. At the very least, youths well seasoned for the corporate world.
But, as it is, all we have are youths with same mindsets as they were. Only post graduation memories of meeting new people, tales by phone light and entangled misfiring neurons.
I must also say, I just don't mean skills like tailoring, makeup, etc which is now the order of the day just because everybody is doing it, I must also do. Follow-follow! I mean real skills (aforementioned included) with reasonable action and implementation, packaged with branding, right experiences, exposure, followup, perseverance, practicability, application to real life challenges, motivation and yields (gains or losses).

A + A = 2A
A x B = AB
That is simple enough. We need to move beyond this in Africa. No wonder the frustrated talents are forced to move abroad, contributing their quota to already developed nations while some, in high spirits, choose to still remain and continue the struggle to make impact. I salute your courage. I wanna be like you.
I know of a few pals who skipped this useless scheme INTENTIONALLY and are ALL doing great by the way. It goes to say that the scheme has zero to minus impact. And by the way, I mean real IMPACT, not MEMORIES.

Too much talk and no actions. What a nation!

In conclusion, I still believe it should be scrapped as long as the government wouldn't want to revise the scheme. But, if it is revised, it can be one of the best things Nigeria can give to the her Youths. I would personally support a government with a clear cut plan and investment in the youth of the nation with the scheme's overhauling / revision clearly stated.
And by government, I don't mean this old generation, they've failed us countless times already. I mean this upcoming generation, hoping we don't follow in the footsteps of our fathers.

Just my take on the matter at hand.
I'm not at 100% yet, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that, we, youths, can at least try to make an impact, not just mobile snapshots.
Please, Youths of Nigeria (Africa), we can do better. Please, let's do better. Let's use our neurons to innovate, discover, invent and impact.

T-Ralph

2 Likes

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Francisayo(m): 12:44am On Nov 03, 2017
I started reading ur posts until I lost interest by ur using of foul words on everybody including those enough to be ur parent......nysc has so many challenges just like every ministries and parastaltas ......u mentioned a lots of shortcomings of nysc and d only solution u think u can profer to it is for it be scrapped just because its not as easy as u thought.....
Nysc to me even though some aspect of it needs attention but d value it adds to Nigeria youths cannot be underated......Notin abt this country can be gud in ur eyes if u don't erase d hatred u have for it......
Congrats to u for completing ur service year successfully and instead of been selfish by preaching scrapping of d scheme I hope and challenge u to channel ur energy is looking for ways to tackle d shortcomings of d scheme......gracias

1 Like

Re: NYSC - A Useless And Worthless Program That Has Outlived Its Relevance by Badadvisor: 2:39am On Jul 23, 2022
Very useless scheme. If i no comot here tomorrow make i know wetn cause am. Rubbish.

(1) (Reply)

Nysc Batch B: 20 Things You Should Never Forget When Going To Orientation Camp / NYSC Leave, Is It Before POP Or After POP? / Woow! See Creativity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.