Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,431 members, 7,954,692 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:25 AM

Writers, Endangered Species? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers, Endangered Species? (930 Views)

. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 10, 2009
I am a very young man who has chosen to embrace life with faith and baptismal dexterity but somehow in my journey towards fulfilling my passion, I am beginning to imagine that writers, especially in a place like Nigeria are not appreciated as they should.

As a matter of fact, every Nigerian company and organisations alike, want to sponsor reality shows for performing artistes but I'm yet to see such gesture extended to writers despite the profound and moving creative impulses they bring to life. While I'm not against the idea of discovering these young, talented chaps, I also think writers should be given some attention so as to arouse the reading faculties in our literary consciousness.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by trekkie: 10:01am On Nov 10, 2009
look you are saying the truth. the failure of nigerian society/media to celebrate the cerebral is what is leading us to the current decline in educational pursuits. it used to be that those who have five credits spoke quietly next to the distinction holders but now if you make 180 in jamb you are a king. the only time we sing praises of our writers is when like chinamanda adichie or uwem akpan they have struggled and are recognised by foreign organisations/media then we jump on the bandwagon and make noise about their nigerianess.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 10, 2009
its really painful. How can you explain a situation where one of our "do or die" presidents openly declared to a coy world that he doesn't read Nigerian Newspapers. The result is a hollow, shallow and lamentable quality of leadership resluting in poor and uninformed policy making, poverty of ideas and "backwardevelopemt" if you may permit my grammar.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by iyeyemi: 10:59am On Nov 10, 2009
It's really a reflection of the society at large. What sort of viewership do u think a reality show for writers would command? Companies are, in the end, profit oriented or at best all about creating greater awareness for their products and services. They would be hard pressed to sponsor a show that does not have mass appeal. Sadly, am nt sure ow much of a mass hysteria a show for writers would be. Still you can consider that a challenge to your creativity - think up something that will arrest public attention while at the same time serving your writer's passion
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 10, 2009
@Iyeyemi

I must commend your brilliant response. But I think I have to ponder more on some of your postulations, no doubt. Thanks bro.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by iyeyemi: 11:28am On Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for commending my , 'Postulations' stereo.lol
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by trekkie: 11:56am On Nov 10, 2009
btw must it be a reality show? if encouraging creativity is the goal , ? u can form a writers forum,  sucess is not gotten overnight. you said you r very young,  apply urself you may be suprised at what you'll achieve
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 10, 2009
@iyeyemi

LOL for quoting me word for word. I like that. I love to meet you.
For now, keep flying like an eagle!
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by lanrefront1(m): 3:40pm On Nov 15, 2009
trekkie:

look you are saying the truth. the failure of nigerian society/media to celebrate the cerebral is what is leading us to the current decline in educational pursuits. it used to be that those who have five credits spoke quietly next to the distinction holders but now if you make 180 in jamb you are a king. the only time we sing praises of our writers is when like chinamanda adichie or uwem akpan they have struggled and are recognised by foreign organisations/media then we jump on the bandwagon and make noise about their nigerianess.

Hey Trekkie, I like your flow: "the failure of the Nigerian society to celebrate the cerebral, " Nice rhyme; loaded with meaning. cool
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by trekkie: 1:55am On Nov 16, 2009
^^^thanks man smiley
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by nwadinma(f): 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2009
I have not stopped wondering how many Nigerian writers make a good income from writing. I mean those writers who write fiction.
The successful ones everyone knows live and write in Europe and USA or some other parts of the world.
Every writer i have met in the Abuja Writers Forum has a day job. Is it not a sure prove that writing alone can not provide sustainable income for any writer here in Nigeria?

Secondly, I keep wondering why politicians always talk about poor reading standards in the country; words have to be written before it can be read, isn't it?
You can not keep lamenting about poor harvest when you did not plant.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Caringpro(f): 3:47pm On Nov 18, 2009
This is an important thread because i am an addicted writer even though i have other private businesses too. But i want to ask something, have you thought of some young writers as the poster posited, coming together to make the best use of their God given talents and ideas? It is not always all about money first. Good ideas has a way of attracting necessary 'push'. What do you want to achieve with your writing? For instance, i am a poet but looking at the environment i had to get my poems published somewhere in UK through the internet but the main write-ups i push to the Nigerian market is relative to where we are now and what the reading majority will most likely go for. Are you getting me here? Be flexible, be dynamic, change your theme. Research,do not be stagnant. I had to suspend some good fictions i was working on, partly because of having lots of project but mostly i discovered that there are things most Nigerians will want to read any day. People are not comfortable in this country,TRY TO SEE SOME PROBLEMS AROUND AND SOLVE IT THROUGH WRITING, IT MAY BE SIMPLE TEACH STUFF TO HOW PEOPLE CAN LIVE BETTER. Are you getting my point? You work on these while you perfect your BIG project that you will comfortably use the resources you must be gathering from these 'side attraction' to promote.

Get hold of this: It is FREE TOO: http://CashMinters.com/freeguide.htm

@Nwadimma,

I was tempted to agree with you but no. There are some writers i know here now that can comfortably quite their jobs if not for the passion they have for the job. I ran an industry and believe me, writing has really earned me more than what the factory is bringing i averagely [consider the inherent cost of running such factory in a no-NEPA Nigeria and the no cost of writing ] and of-course the potential of earning for life, from a once writing job you did.

GET FREE DYNAMIC WRITING TIPS: http://cashminters.com/freeguide.htm
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by trekkie: 12:23am On Nov 19, 2009
i am loving this discussion. nwadinma has a point about how many writers can quit their day job but caring pro has also said the immediate motivation should not be money, but the passion and even those who have talent do not realise that sucessful writers hone their craft; they need to be trained in grammar,punctuation, e.t.c to be successful there has to be an investment in effort,time and yes money. i don't need to repeat everything that caring pro has said they need to come together in a talent pool. can you imagine a writer's union as powerful as the one in hollywood?
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by nwadinma(f): 7:22am On Nov 19, 2009
As much as I love to write because of the passion, I want to make a good living from it too.
Musicians love to sing because they are passionate about singing and they make real big money from it too. Same applies everywhere my dear.

So I am not going to write just for the joy of writing alone.
@trekkie
Even 'caring pro' made money from their books. I want to do same too.

In Abuja, we have Abuja Writers Forum where we meet to read and critique each others work and we have workshops last Saturday of every month, I think we are lucky here to have that.
Maybe more contests with good prices to be won will be wonderful especially if it is organised locally. That will motivate people like me and spur us to write.
Seriously is ANA alive?
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2009
@nwadima

How can we meet? it wouldn't be a bad idea meeting someone like you are 'cos I just keep meeting writers everyday and we are working out something. My number is 08028473231. Cheers!
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Caringpro(f): 10:05am On Nov 23, 2009
@Nwadimma,

Very good question there! Where is ANA?
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 24, 2009
I really don't think ANA is living up to her expectations. A body as intellectually relevant that ANA is, should be able to create enduring platforms for writers to grow both in their tool of trade as well as their financial rewards. Above all, I also suppose that those of us who are genuinely interested in developing and helping ourselves should strategise ideas and ways by which we can affect our society positively.

However, I have been thinking about something that would be like the[i] Moments with Mo[/i]'s Debaters' Academy' and I would hesitate to get in touch with some members here who we can jointly see it through.
Re: Writers, Endangered Species? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 24, 2009
I really don't think ANA is living up to her expectations. A body as intellectually relevant that ANA is, should be able to create enduring platforms for writers to grow both in their tool of trade as well as their financial rewards. Above all, I also suppose that those of us who are genuinely interested in developing and helping ourselves should strategise ideas and ways by which we can affect our society positively.

However, I have been thinking about something that would be like the[i] Moments with Mo[/i]'s Debaters' Academy' and I wont hesitate to intimate some members here who we can jointly see it through.

(1) (Reply)

Sorrow / The Best Of Pablo Escobar.... / My Candid Advice To Ladies – Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.