Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes (22127 Views)

Lagosians Struggle To Enter FCMB Bank As Lockdown Eases (Video) / Black Friday At Shoprite: Nigerians Struggle To Buy Goods / Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

Aba shoes will remain Aba shoes forever if is d igbo people that are producing them. It will look good in d eyes of igbo but d thing is, it can never look good to Nigerians talkless of d world.

I will advice my brothers and sisters frm d eastern part to stick strictly to their importation of goods and and selling them and let d Yorubas and Hausas and others to handle shoe production and manufacturing of other commodities like it as always been.

#Truth is mine

Did anyone see that flat headed man in blue clothing grin?

You should be hawking agbojedi at Oshodi. What are you doing here by this time?

3 Likes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by ikp120(m): 8:12am On Dec 03, 2016
Tolexander:
...ahn Nigerians look at how we made it.. We dey turn up on a daily it’s our work oh ahn yea soft work yea it’s our work oh ahn yea soft work ahn yea it’s our work oh
Lolzzz grin grin grin
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by emperormossad(m): 8:15am On Dec 03, 2016
izzy4shizzy:
I am smelling Nigerian mentality here, someone with 27 years experience cant save enough to improve his equipments? Sometimes we dont need the government to come and dash us money, we just have to be business minded.

I think what they need is not loans but seminars on how to plan and execute a business plan with space for expansion

They are doing a good job tho, but can always do better
First you need to be sure about the cost of the machine viz-a-viz the economic responsiblities i.e number of people to cater for in terms of family size. Truth is some machines are best gotten through soft loans from banks or other monetary agencies with a proper repayment plan. Everything is not Nigerian mentlity (if something such as that exists!). What they're asking for is not something beyond the capacity of a forward-thinking government. Let's be realistic when we discuss.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by SycophanticGoat: 8:17am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

Aba shoes will remain Aba shoes forever if is d igbo people that are producing them. It will look good in d eyes of igbo but d thing is, it can never look good to Nigerians talkless of d world.

I will advice my brothers and sisters frm d eastern part to stick strictly to their importation of goods and and selling them and let d Yorubas and Hausas and others to handle shoe production and manufacturing of other commodities like it as always been.

#Truth is mine

This is by far the most senseless and meaningless comment I've ever seen in my life. Tried hard to help the bigoted poster see meaning in the comment but it never came. Even a two years old baby will make more sense than this.

2 Likes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 03, 2016
BizBloke:

See Omar12's comment above and let's talk about profit margin per unit multiplied by daily production capacity. Trust me, they need someone/some people with deep pocket.

My neighbour makes shoes but that's just enough to get by on a daily basis and get other necessary stuff; I'm thinking of investing indirectly (not directly) within the next 12-15 months.

Are you asking me to scroll back to find some Omar's comment? No time bro.

Are you also trying to say that about 10 of these people can't come together, pull resources together and start something big?

I wouldn't stay in Aba if I was a small time shoe maker. The market is saturated and you really have to be very exceptional to be noticed. If I trust my skills, I'll probably start a new business far away from there. Go to another city like Lagos, Abuja, Jos etc.

There are banks to get loans from.

2 Likes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

I think the issue here is that Aba shoe industry is a conglomerate of shoemakers. Out of over 70,000 shoe makers, it's a shame that not a single big and trusted name stands out. All we hear in the media is 'Aba made'.

This is an opportunity for them to stand out, brand, advertise, market their services and stand out like the shop rites, Versace,coscharis etc.
If I wanted to buy Aba shoe and I'm in maiduguri, who do I approach? Where do I go to? Can I order Aba made shoe online from a trusted shoemaker? Are they online with their individual websites?

If I was there, I'd want to sell myself and stand out from the crowd. It will take one bad shoe maker to mar the reputation of other seasoned and reliable shoe makers and that's because they are branded as one enterprise 'Aba made'
i agree with you, the problems is from them, i think if they do the necessary things, brand their products like others big shot brands like gucci, louis vuitton, puma, they would excel.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by emperormossad(m): 8:23am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

I think the issue here is that Aba shoe industry is a conglomerate of shoemakers. Out of over 70,000 shoe makers, it's a shame that not a single big and trusted name stands out. All we hear in the media is 'Aba made'.

This is an opportunity for them to stand out, brand, advertise, market their services and stand out like the shop rites, Versace,coscharis etc.
If I wanted to buy Aba shoe and I'm in maiduguri, who do I approach? Where do I go to? Can I order Aba made shoe online from a trusted shoemaker? Are they online with their individual websites?

If I was there, I'd want to sell myself and stand out from the crowd. It will take one bad shoe maker to mar the reputation of other seasoned and reliable shoe makers and that's because they are branded as one enterprise 'Aba made'
You're right. Branding is very important in the business world. I may not be business savvy but I'm sure brands sell, they're the image of companies (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm impressed with the fact that they're doing something really positive not just for their families but their region as well. They're not where they should be but they're not where they use to be also. Improvement is the hallmark of proper advancement. They'll get there. Let's support by patronising locally-made goods. That's the much we can do...for now.

1 Like

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by BizBloke(m): 8:24am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

Are you also trying to say that about 10 of these people can't come together, pull resources together and start something big?

I wouldn't stay in Aba if I was a small time shoe maker. The market is saturated and you really have to be very exceptional to be noticed. If I trust my skills, I'll probably start a new business far away from there. Go to another city like Lagos, Abuja, Jos etc.

Lol. Omar's comment is actually 2-4 comments above from my prior comment. grin Regardless, he said he paid N1,000-N1,500 for a pair of shoes and the durability was 4-5 years.

Yes and no. I'm saying 10 people can come together to; no, it's hard for 10 people to come together because some Igbo men don't believe in partnership on a large scale like what you opine.

You're right about the saturation level in Aba per shoe making but about getting loans from banks, really? shocked shocked Banks won't give you loan as a small time shoe maker. They'll remind you you're small and you've got no collateral. Perhaps a foreign bank not most of these Nigerian banks I know their MO.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by emperormossad(m): 8:27am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

I hope you know the requisites to get loans from bank. Also depends on the size of business you have in mind. I need an economist to enlighten me abeg.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by rusher14: 8:31am On Dec 03, 2016
Tolexander:
I wonder what all Abia state Governors have been doing to promote the production here.
If the governments were serious, Abia should be talking about her GDP in trillion Naira now!

It is high time the producers started branding their products and stopped the Aididas, Nicke, Tomberland, Looise Vuitton, Mack and Spender et al we see around!

You mean Abibas?
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by adisaigbo1(m): 8:35am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

cry
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

Made in biafla shoes
grin
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

cry
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

Made in biafla shoes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2016
Tolexander:
I wonder what all Abia state Governors have been doing to promote the production here.
If the governments were serious, Abia should be talking about her GDP in trillion Naira now!

It is high time the producers started branding their products and stopped the Aididas, Nicke, Tomberland, Looise Vuitton, Mack and Spender et al we see around!

Don't mind those vision less governors
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by mightyhazell: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

why not OWERRI, PORT and ASABA etc

4 Likes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 03, 2016
Kc3000:

True, I still don't know what the deal is with the Geometric project. No one seems to have an absolute answer on why it never took off.

Just like several other economic initiatives; those who benefit from the rot will never allow such things to work. Obasanjo spend $16 billion on power and Jonathan spent over $5 billion, yet till date, they give us grammar why there's no electricity

1 Like

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by sweetgala(m): 8:42am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

Must the governors be blamed all the time? Why can't some of these shoe makers form partnership, contribute money and upgrade their machines and expand their businesses.

They should invest, send people to Italy, Brazil to update their knowledge, start leather processing factories to complement their shoe making industries.

It does not seem to me The igbos are ever interested in co-op and community trust ideas.

Its every man for himself and God for us all
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by lovere: 8:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Trash
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by obiaguna(m): 8:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

Not only that the "truth" is yours but the foolishness of the world is on your shoulders too bro. So retarded a statement. Folks like you can't put together a paper gun talk more of anything higher. Lol I piss on your brain. Dunderhead.

3 Likes

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by sweetgala(m): 8:46am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

That is a very good idea. I've noticed that Ali baba and it's Ali express tool functions like this .

While looking at some machinery in China I found out many organisations help bring Chinese manufacturers to market
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by sweetgala(m): 8:47am On Dec 03, 2016
BizBloke:

See Omar12's comment above and let's talk about profit margin per unit multiplied by daily production capacity. Trust me, they need someone/some people with deep pocket.

My neighbour makes shoes but that's just enough to get by on a daily basis and get other necessary stuff; I'm thinking of investing indirectly (not directly) within the next 12-15 months.

I'm considering investing in shoe making too but only with someone who is serious and has a plan.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by elopee3000(m): 8:52am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

afonja anger with igbos was caused by this you type u want igbo to leave shoe making for afonjas and thier brother arewanistan?if u want to make shoe come and compete with igbo if ur want to be a footballers come compete with igbo we can never leave any thing for other tribe to take over if u want it fight for it did northerners leave army or custom or air force for afonjas to take over?didn't Mustapha flog diya ?
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Rextayne:
i agree with you, the problems is from them, i think if they do the necessary things, brand their products like others big shot brands like gucci, louis vuitton, puma, they would excel.

That's what I'm saying. They need to upgrade. There are lots of seasoned and experienced shoe makers with very high quality products but we don't know them.
An overzealous apprentice might produce something of substandard quality and all it takes to tarnish others is for 'cheap good living' nairalander that buy that, use it, watch it fall apart then come online to speak bad about all of them.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

That's what I'm saying. They need to upgrade. There are lots of seasoned and experienced shoe makers with very high quality products but we don't know them.
An overzealous apprentice might produce something of substandard quality and all it takes to tarnish others is for 'cheap good living' nairalander that buy that, use it, watch it fall apart then come online to speak bad about all of them.
i'm telling you. If they actually want to succeed in this line of business they have to do the obvious thing, nobody want a substandard product, and nobody wants a product which aren't mccoy, i believe if they create their brands individually like those big brands and make their product genuine, chinese products would be shove off forever, however, they just have to do the necessary things that's all, it may be an herculian task but it's worth it.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by southernbelle(f): 9:13am On Dec 03, 2016
These people need to be encouraged and empowered.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by PRXPERT: 9:25am On Dec 03, 2016
gbosaa:

check their website http://madeinaba.com.ng/ check it out, they're on the move!
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Calismart(m): 9:33am On Dec 03, 2016
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by BALLOSKI: 9:52am On Dec 03, 2016
Untainted007:
Never get tired of trying my Ibo counterparts. Rome wasn't built in a day. Even China that is now producer of everything started frm ceramic plates. The stone the builders rejected will one day become the chief corner stone. I'm a Yoruba man bt I envy you guys the way u do businesses with passion. Keep it up, we will all soon get to ur promise land if we dont relent.
must you tell us your tribe? So a Yoruba man cannot admire something done by the ibos without identifying his tribe?

You're a bigot!
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by puuleeese: 10:19am On Dec 03, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
Good initiative

#Truth is mine

You disgust me
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 03, 2016
izzy4shizzy:
I am smelling Nigerian mentality here, someone with 27 years experience cant save enough to improve his equipments? Sometimes we dont need the government to come and dash us money, we just have to be business minded.

I think what they need is not loans but seminars on how to plan and execute a business plan with space for expansion

They are doing a good job tho, but can always do better
Exactly!!! They need an organized method of business execution.
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by godwin120alex: 10:27am On Dec 03, 2016
I always feel bad whenever I read dis kind of news about Aba cos wat has d govt and those big men done to help Aba grow. Imagine Aba wld have been providing Abia State govt with huge IGR . I weep for Aba cos with all d potentials is still backwards. At times I wonder if d State is cursed with bad n senseless govt.

I pray n hope that one day God will raise a a govt with vision that will harness all d available potentials to make Aba great
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by Untainted007: 10:46am On Dec 03, 2016
BALLOSKI:
must you tell us your tribe? So a Yoruba man cannot admire something done by the ibos without identifying his tribe?

You're a bigot!

Must people like you always show ur foolishnesses? Mentioning my tribe has nothing to do with u showing ur foolishness here. Mentioning my tribe is nt for an idiot like u to appreciate bt for the Ibos to know they av d supports of other tribes.

1 Like

Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by anthoniosp(m): 11:09am On Dec 03, 2016
Mrjo:
size and location?
let's talk on WhatsApp
Re: Aba: We Struggle To Produce Made-in-nigeria Shoes by anthoniosp(m): 11:14am On Dec 03, 2016
BALLOSKI:

You're a bigot!
this is the most stupid post I have seen in over 4 years , someone that set aside his ethnical differences to commend our tribe and you are insulting , spit you disgust me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Shifts Focus From Cement To Oil And Gas / How Much Have You Saved This Year? / NTA To Display NSE Ticker Tape Across Its Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.