Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,316 members, 7,954,273 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:50 PM

Faith Versus Reason - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faith Versus Reason (383 Views)

Fr. Mbaka Versus Primate Ayodele: Who Goes Down? As Supreme Court Decides In Imo / On Faith And Medicine / Christian Versus Secular World View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Faith Versus Reason by yommyuk: 10:31am On Dec 03, 2016
The first battle between faith and reason took place in the Garden of Eden. Spurred on by the serpent’s lies, Eve began to look at her situation from a purely logical perspective and decided that God was cheating her out of something good. Her faith faltered as “reasonable” thoughts of self-interest filled her mind (Gen. 3:4-6).

I am not saying that the way of faith is never logical, but if we operate only on the basis of reason, a conflict with the Lord is inevitable. That is because His instructions and actions don’t always appear reasonable from a human perspective. Although Isaiah 55:8-9 describes God’s thoughts and ways as higher than man’s, some people believe they know better than He does.

Paul emphasizes this by pointing out that God’s choices can come across as illogical by the world’s standards—His message of salvation seems foolish, and His messengers appear weak and unimpressive (1 Cor. 1:20-21). In an age that thrives on recognition, admiration, and importance, a person who believes the Bible is considered a weakling in need of a religious crutch to cope with life. But God’s Word explains the paradox: Recognizing their helplessness, believers lean on Christ so He can raise them to stand with Him in righteousness.

That day in Eden, sin and self-importance entered the human heart. But all the worldly wisdom that fuels our pride is nullified by God. He is looking not for great and impressive people but for weak, humble servants who can boast only in Christ. The Saviour alone is their strength and wisdom.

Genesis 3:6
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Romans 10:13-14
For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

1 Corinthians 3:6-7
I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

IT IS WELL. GOD BLESS wink
Re: Faith Versus Reason by foladara777(m): 10:36am On Dec 03, 2016
Faith is the reason ISIS terrorists kill people... Because they believe without reason
Re: Faith Versus Reason by yommyuk: 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2016
Partly true!

They have faith in a religion that believes in violence. That is where the Christianity I have faith in differs.

John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

We call it "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

(1) (Reply)

Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / Group Distributes Free Xmas Food And Cloth In A Poor Ajegunle Community (pic) / When Was Jesus Born?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.