Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. (25459 Views)

Quantity Surveying Vs Survey And Geoinformatics / Building Technology Vs Quantity Surveying / Geography Vs Urban & Regional Planning: Which Should He Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Chidonc(m): 7:29am On Dec 06, 2016
DrMeroThaEmperor:
are you kidding me Can you please write the English version of this so everyone can understand?
lol, is that the yoruba version ....just asking tho.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Call07034780891: 7:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Can you do the following things as a non estate surveyor: property valuations, plant & machinery valuations, mineral valuations, appraisals etc. You can't even engage in those services if you are not a trained and commissioned estate surveyor and valuer.

kingwax7007:
anyone can do ESM duty...in fact, even the layman!

The draughtsman and any building technologist with an AutoCAD will eat like an architect...

Caretakers are what we call ESMs...anybody can become a real estate mogul even without going to school...
Surveyors too have many unschooled people eating their job...

But a QS?? Forget it...they are in demand in every section of the industry and are few!!!

4 Likes

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by idu1(m): 7:38am On Dec 06, 2016
No body ll give you an objective advice here.

They are all defending their useless course.

Go to Jarushub.com you ll get better advice there.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by siryomecs: 7:49am On Dec 06, 2016
My own advice is to go for QS not even estate,
Here r my views
1. Most of the estate mgt work r now done by lawyers
Anybody can come tell u dey r agent
2 if u wanna be d boss of yr own don't go for planning.
3. Remember all decisions r from mind choose wisely
M a planner n forever going to be cos in everyday of my life I applied planning to it
Thanks
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by MidasTouche01(m): 7:56am On Dec 06, 2016
Estate management still rocks...

UrP na wash.....

Sebi u don get ND for Architecture before?

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by youngwarlocks: 8:02am On Dec 06, 2016
kingmissa:
kudos bro. I'm currently studying QS. can u give me guidelines? If so, I'd like to chat u up
sure! drop you number here or pm me
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by initialize(m): 8:05am On Dec 06, 2016
go and study Building if you find it difficult to decide on either of the 3 options presented to you...

Building belongs to same faculty as URP, ESM and QS.

I studied Building in school and I have applied the basics to business and its working for me.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by hadecunleh: 8:05am On Dec 06, 2016
I am a professional QS. Please dont pick QS, the less QSs we have out there the merrier. Too much money.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by ALPHAGUY: 8:12am On Dec 06, 2016
I HAVE 12 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT HANDLING PROJECTS ALL OVER NIGERIA. I AM A REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL IN MY OWN FIELD AND JUST TAKE THESS PIECES OF ADVISE FROM ME;
ESTATE MGT. IS LUCRATIVE BUT HAS A LOT OF QUARKS DOING THEIR JOBS EVEN TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.
URP IS THE WORST COURSE IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES. IT IS NOT EASILY SELF EMPLOYED. I HAVE NEVER MET A SELF EMPLOYED EMPLOYED URP IN MY 12 YRS OF PRACTICE. I HAVE NEVER EVER NEEDED ONE EVEN. IF URE NOT PATRONISED BY GOVT, URE FINISHED.
THE QS HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FINANCIAL BOSS AND WELL ENVIED BY ALL MEMBERS IN A TEAM OF CONSULTANTS ON ANY PROJECT. HE COMMANDS SO MUCH RESPECT AND ARE NEEDED ALL OVER THE WORLD. QS IS ONE OF THE LARGEST PROFESSIONS IN THE UK AND MIDDLE EAST. PLS ANY SELF EMPLOYED URP IN THE HOUSE THAT CAN BET HE IS NOT HUNGRY SHOULD BE BOLD TO COUNTER MY TAKE ON THIS.

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by charlesremigius(m): 8:19am On Dec 06, 2016
Go for urban and regional planning
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Emusan(m): 8:21am On Dec 06, 2016
krebdawise:
I applied for Architecture but i couldn't make the list..but i was told by the school adviser to change to any of the course in ESM,QS and URP...pls can you help me with the best here...thanks

If there is a Building Option, go for it but in case there's not. Go for QS!

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 06, 2016
No one can make the choice for you. You see how everyone is recommending according to their own preferences and experiences?

Why did you apply for Architecture? Why don't you make a list of what you want from a profession? Discover what you are passionate about. You might gain more insight. You can also research the pros and cons of EM, QS, URP and Archy.

Typically, in building construction sites, the consultant team comprises the Architect, Structural engineer, M&E engineers and the QS. The quantity surveyor costs the Specifications to produce the BoQ. He knows where the money is, prepares periodic valuations of work, advices on cost-saving possibilities, vets contractors' submissions for variations and advices the architect/pm on the merit of it. It's a lot of power that is often and easily abused. QS make money on projects. And even when they don't actively connive with the contractors, they get a lot of 'appreciation' for doing their job. Contractors know quantity surveyors to their homes.

Estate management is a good profession but most people currently thriving in the business didn't study it. It's like studying project management as a first degree. What people do is study - say structural engineering, architecture or even quantity or land surveying, and then get an FMP. It gives you more versatility.

URP, hmmm. I wish we were at the point where a planner becomes indispensable to any project. They should be more relevant to all forms of development. The NITP needs to push harder for this. However, currently, you would be hoping for employment at the ministry and it would not be challenging. That isn't to say things may not be different at the time you would be graduating.

Try to speak with young professionals to tell you about their excitements in the various fields, and old professionals to tell you about their regrets. Then decide. Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Emusan(m): 8:27am On Dec 06, 2016
ALPHAGUY:
I HAVE 12 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT HANDLING PROJECTS ALL OVER NIGERIA. I AM A REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL IN MY OWN FIELD AND JUST TAKE THESS PIECES OF ADVISE FROM ME;
ESTATE MGT. IS LUCRATIVE BUT HAS A LOT OF QUARKS DOING THEIR JOBS EVEN TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.
URP IS THE WORST COURSE IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES. IT IS NOT EASILY SELF EMPLOYED. I HAVE NEVER MET A SELF EMPLOYED EMPLOYED URP IN MY 12 YRS OF PRACTICE. I HAVE NEVER EVER NEEDED ONE EVEN. IF URE NOT PATRONISED BY GOVT, URE FINISHED.
THE QS HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FINANCIAL BOSS AND WELL ENVIED BY ALL MEMBERS IN A TEAM OF CONSULTANTS ON ANY PROJECT. HE COMMANDS SO MUCH RESPECT AND ARE NEEDED ALL OVER THE WORLD. QS IS ONE OF THE LARGEST PROFESSIONS IN THE UK AND MIDDLE EAST. PLS ANY SELF EMPLOYED URP IN THE HOUSE THAT CAN BET HE IS NOT HUNGRY SHOULD BE BOLD TO COUNTER MY TAKE ON THIS.

I'll love us to meet! I'll PM you.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Admiral49(m): 8:29am On Dec 06, 2016
WITH ALL MY HEART TAKE QUANTITY SURVEYING

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 06, 2016
Quantity Surveying Rocks

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Shawdey(f): 9:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Call07034780891:
Estate Management is the most lucrative course in the contemporary Nigeria. You will engage in real estate management and sales that gives money in millions when concluded. You will also engage in real estate valuation, appraisals, etc for banks and other corporate organisations including private individuals that wishes to take loans from the bank. Estate management is very vast because even as a student you shall take courses in accounting, statistics, building, architectural graphics, civil engineering, URP, finance etc. This is the same way the course is vast in practice.

Architecture is good but it is no longer lucrative today because most individuals hardly go for professional architectural designer for their homes, they rather copy drawings and cut corners to avoid paying a professional architect. The same affects professional builders who have equally lost their careers to unskilled building workers most of them now come from Togo and Ghana and they do a good job at a cheaper price.

URP is the worst of them all. Most times they languish in the government ministeries. They are involved in town planning scheme. Most of the times they don't go into private practice because there is no money in their profession and they have almost zero client base in the contemporary Nigeria. They alot of tedious drawings in school as students. Urban and regional drawings that takes weeks to complete. The cause is hard to study and pays far too little at graduation that is if you get a job.

QS is another useless course in the contemporary Nigeria. They dwell in costing the cost of building homes etc. How many times have you seen a successful professional QS? Because even individuals do not engage them for services when you can go to the market and get your cost or even make phone calls.

If you want to become a millionaire even while in school go for estate management. You can close transactions in real estate that runs into millions even as a student. Then again during your IT, it is yet another opportunity to make it big before returning to your 5th year for graduation.

The fact that u've not seen a successful Qs professional does not mean they don't exist, u probably don't get involved with successful professionals in the construction industry.

Every profession has it's own pro's and con's, all u have to do is highlight them for each profession and make ur choice. The only reason u won't make it in the construction industry is acting on ignorance, lack of information, poor planning, and lack of interest. wink
Call07034780891:
Estate Management is the most lucrative course in the contemporary Nigeria. You will engage in real estate management and sales that gives money in millions when concluded. You will also engage in real estate valuation, appraisals, etc for banks and other corporate organisations including private individuals that wishes to take loans from the bank. Estate management is very vast because even as a student you shall take courses in accounting, statistics, building, architectural graphics, civil engineering, URP, finance etc. This is the same way the course is vast in practice.

Architecture is good but it is no longer lucrative today because most individuals hardly go for professional architectural designer for their homes, they rather copy drawings and cut corners to avoid paying a professional architect. The same affects professional builders who have equally lost their careers to unskilled building workers most of them now come from Togo and Ghana and they do a good job at a cheaper price.

URP is the worst of them all. Most times they languish in the government ministeries. They are involved in town planning scheme. Most of the times they don't go into private practice because there is no money in their profession and they have almost zero client base in the contemporary Nigeria. They alot of tedious drawings in school as students. Urban and regional drawings that takes weeks to complete. The cause is hard to study and pays far too little at graduation that is if you get a job.

QS is another useless course in the contemporary Nigeria. They dwell in costing the cost of building homes etc. How many times have you seen a successful professional QS? Because even individuals do not engage them for services when you can go to the market and get your cost or even make phone calls.

If you want to become a millionaire even while in school go for estate management. You can close transactions in real estate that runs into millions even as a student. Then again during your IT, it is yet another opportunity to make it big before returning to your 5th year for graduation.

The fact that u've not seen a successful Qs professional does not mean they don't exist, u probably don't get involved with successful professionals in the construction industry.
Btw, quantity surveyors don't cost residential works alone, civil engineering works are there. It all depends on how versatile you are. There are Valuers, Planners, Builders, Architects that are "useless" out there and there are some that are useful and making it big.

Every profession has it's own pro's and con's, all u have to do is highlight them for each profession and make ur choice. The only reason u won't make it in the construction industry is acting on ignorance, lack of information, poor planning, and lack of interest. I trust u'll make a good choice
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Call07034780891: 9:12am On Dec 06, 2016
Bro we are talking money here..

Among all the 3 professions which one gives more money in practice, just be sincere here? cool

Shawdey:

Every profession has it's own pro's and con's, all u have to do is highlight them for each profession and make ur choice. The only reason u won't make it in the construction industry is acting on ignorance, lack of information, poor planning, and lack of interest. wink

Btw, quantity surveyors don't cost residential works alone, civil engineering works are there. It all depends on how versatile you are. There are Valuers, Planners, Builders, Architects that are "useless" out there and there are some that are useful and making it big.

Every profession has it's own pro's and con's, all u have to do is highlight them for each profession and make ur choice. The only reason u won't make it in the construction industry is acting on ignorance, lack of information, poor planning, and lack of interest. I trust u'll make a good choice
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Emisco1(m): 9:23am On Dec 06, 2016
GOD BLESS SURVEYING AND GEO-INFORMATIC. we hit it big.. as a student u mking money . lecturers carrying u out. we are the smallest.

2 Likes

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by friyor246(m): 10:08am On Dec 06, 2016
krebdawise:
I applied for Architecture but i couldn't make the list..but i was told by the school adviser to change to any of the course in ESM,QS and URP...pls can you help me with the best here...thanks
best is urban and rural planning becouse if u gets that u can both do architecture and work with telecom
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Johnsegun54(m): 10:13am On Dec 06, 2016
Am a Quantity Surveying student..choose QS..yhu will really enjoy it

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by sweeteyen111: 10:27am On Dec 06, 2016
krebdawise:
if they have surveying and geoinformatics you can apply for that

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by sweeteyen111: 10:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Johnsegun54:
Am a Quantity Surveying student..choose QS..yhu will really enjoy it
I bet you have not heard abt surveying and geoinformatics
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Aarenasbaba(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2016
All those courses mentioned above are good..
Although building tech and Archy are better..
I'll advice you to go for quantity surveying

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by sweeteyen111: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2016
Call07034780891:
Can you do the following things as a non estate surveyor: property valuations, plant & machinery valuations, mineral valuations, appraisals etc. You can't even engage in those services if you are not a trained and commissioned estate surveyor and valuer.

my friend wake up from DAT dream before you pass there die
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Call07034780891: 10:45am On Dec 06, 2016
Why not answer my questions before you pass on from that your wild dream? cool

sweeteyen111:
my friend wake up from DAT dream before you pass there die
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Alfa55: 11:22am On Dec 06, 2016
As an estate valuer, i huge u 2 go 4 estate b/c is d most lucrative profession on dis earth. Let me tail u one lie a drop out estate student makes a millions 2day talkness of proffisional.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by femooshad(m): 11:55am On Dec 06, 2016
Lol.. Money driven people cheesy cheesy cheesy

My brother. Take it from someone that studied his course for money grin. Money isn't enough

Passion will take you farther than money ever will !!!

My two cents I guess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by elvisfaith(m): 12:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
Beleeez:
Go for Surveying and Geoinformatics or Geomatics if u have it in your school.
Go for surveying and geoinformatics..u can stand on ur own even as a student u ll be making money.As far as am concern surveying and geoinformatics is the bedrock of development all these courses can't work without a surveyor..

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by Elujulo(m): 12:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
[quote author=krebdawise post=51672750]I applied for Architecture but i couldn't make the list..but i was told by the school adviser to change to any of the course in ESM,QS and URP...pls can you help me with the best here...thanks

[color=#990000][/color](my brother go for QS; I'm QS, it's a good curse you wouldn't regret in ur life, if u applied for it; on one condition; you must do all yur best to know it so that u can be relevant] ....Great QS.

1 Like

Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by ToluO: 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
Call07034780891:

URP is the worst of them all. Most times they languish in the government ministeries. They are involved in town planning scheme. Most of the times they don't go into private practice because there is no money in their profession and they have almost zero client base in the contemporary Nigeria. They do a lot of tedious drawings in school as students, these includes urban and regional drawings that takes weeks to complete. The course is hard to study and pays far too little at graduation that is if you get a job
QS is another useless course in the contemporary Nigeria. They dwell in costing analysis- the cost of building homes etc. How many times have you seen a successful professional QS? Because even individuals do not engage them for services when you can easily go to the market and get your cost or even make phone calls.

You don't have to devalue other professions before you make your points, without those professions no property for you to manage.
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by myrrtle(m): 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
An urban and regional planner is a person who plans the physical, social and/or economic development of a community. Urban and regional planners advice communities on the use of land and help them plan issues such as the physical arrangement of public services and the accommodation of population growth.
http://careersome.com/building-and-contruction/urban-and-regional-planner.html

What is a Quantity Surveyor?
A quantity surveyor is a person whose job is to manage all costs relating to a construction project. S/he manages the finances of a construction project from its earliest stages up through its completion. Quantity surveyors are also known as cost analysts, cost planners, cost managers, estimators, or construction economists.
http://careersome.com/building-and-contruction/quantity-surveyor.html
Re: Estate Management Vs Quantity Surveying Vs Urban And Regional Planning.. by chapwiz(m): 2:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
I advice u to go for Quantity Surveying is very good l am a Quantity Surveying graduate and rite now I work as a quantity surveyor in an oil company
D rest courses are good but they hardly fined opportunities in an oil company. Believe me am in2 oil and gas if u need more advice you can msg me privately
My cousin who was doing his master in Arch. Advice me to study QS 2day am thanking him.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Admission Status Checking Portal For 2016 Enabled / University Of Ibadan & Covenant In UN Sustainable Development Goals Ranking / Scientists Discover Four New Elements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.