Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria (2995 Views)

If I Were A Man, Many Women Would Be Turned Off The Male Species / Mother And Her 2 Teenage Twin Daughters Pregnant For One Man (photos) / ‘Men With Many Wives Live Longer Than Those With Just One’- 91-year Old Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Nobody: 4:00am On Dec 07, 2016
Having been birthed from the trenches of polygamy, I think I am well equipped to talk about this topic. I am focusing on this subject because it has not been confronted for years and it is slowly being bred into our mind by the media. Debating polygamy will remind us why we should all join the fight to abolish it.
I would not be talking about women who are forced into polygamy due to religion or culture but will be addressing women who go into polygamy voluntarily, e.g., the side chicks A.K.A. Baby mamas.

[sexual rascality didn't start with this generation
Life is difficult, expensive and stressful as it is, especially in cities. It's normal for a woman to want some kind of comfort and stability as part of the relation with a guy. Financially dependent women tend not to care as much about a guys money as those women who struggle to mak ends meet. Wealthy women like to marry their equals. Men? Not so much

Young men of this generation do not have the mental maturity to manage polygamy. Many men end up with materialistic women because they only want the easy girls: easy girls are mostly materialistic. Many men and women are damaged mentally, greedy and just playing games.

What are the practical reasons for women living in such a life style?
‘Majority of ladies in Nigeria are greedy. They have unrealistic expectations of guys and as a result ignore average guys and then go for the alpha male who believe they are a gift to women and the world’-humilitypays. They would rather have 10% of a 100% man than 100% of a 10% man.
Many single women entering into adulterous polygamy have idealistic ideas about great joy, power, wealth, financial security, respect, etc. which never happens completely especially when they realize they are just a number. Another reason is, a sense of family motivates women into polygamy especially those who are approaching 30 with no suitor.

Women like this betray their own moral compass and justify the affair. Women like this don't care about anyone else but themselves not even their kids. No respect for others or themselves, no mind to know right from wrong, no mind to know when to take responsibility for their actions. Dishonest and liars. Bad parenting. They have no twinge of conscience.
Many women with children who keep on staying in this mentally abusive façade say its for their children and for them to get their equal share of wealth. Lies. The children are being used as financial security in the beginning.

The only positive part of polygamy is that women learn to share while denying their own selfish desires.
Many polygamous men end up with irresponsible ladies who leech off them. The prospectives of adulterous polygamous men is dating prospective new wives.

From my analysis, I realize in many cases, polygamous fathers die alone
Many polygamists distance themselves from their families, pursue and woo other women to make themselves feel virile and worthy to become gods. Polygamous men see themselves as better or more valuable than other members of their family especially the women. Fathers are more like visitors in their children's lives.

From what I have seen in my experience as a child born and raised in polygamy, there is always one favourite wife, sometimes more and favourite child or children. The children who are unlucky enough to be the offspring of the mother who is not the favourite wife are often neglected and sometimes abused by their father. Growing up in polygamy is a trap, you basically have no identity.

Women and Men who voluntarily go into polygamy is as a result of bad parenting and often repeat the same to their children. There is no unity in polygamy, occasional cat fights between neglected and jealous wives. These kids grow up hating themselves, one(depending on whose side they are on) or both parents. Modern day polygamists children are often lost in the crowd of needy siblings and often resent the fact that they are notches in their fathers belt.

A very high percentage of children who come out from polygamous home are depressed and often tend to lead the lives their parents lived. They are too unhappy and confused to make wise choices. Any young woman who didn't get enough attention from her father can be a prime target for a lustful man(Yoruba demon) who steps in to fill their need for fatherly love.

Sometimes, I wonder why Nigeria isn't moving forward when we have staunch polygamists like Tinubu, Obasanjo, etc., at the helm of affairs whose families are not united but think they are in the best position to unite a country. No polygamous society has ever being a true liberal democracy.

Polygamy is not the beautiful principle and lifestyle some people try to claim it is. There is no benefit in polygamy. It is a destroyer of natural affection. Anyone who partakes in affairs get berated in the end. No matter what anyone says, it is usually terrible for the children and I wish children from polygamous families won't propagate this life style.

The world can be your problem but you are your own solution.

Disclaimer: I am only addressing the emotional aspect when mentioning polygamous children and not their ability to be successful in their chosen path in life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by cruzyteejay(m): 5:11am On Dec 07, 2016
Thats a nice write up you've got there......but they are never gonna see it that way

1 Like

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Beesluv: 5:27am On Dec 07, 2016
Good. Sometimes, na ojukokoro dey push person go polygamy
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Nutase: 5:39am On Dec 07, 2016
Tinubu na polygamist? shocked
But op you focused only on the cons of polygamy, a balanced article should talk of the pros also then you can now leave we the readers to draw out conclusion.

1 Like

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 7:26am On Dec 07, 2016
I think polygamy based on religious grounds is totally different from the baby mama and side chick type.

Please note that some baby mamas never planned to be one. Women are very emotional and sometimes they get too attracted to say no to the little little advances and emotional covering from men they admire. Most of the time, it is the little attempts that result to pregnancy (which morality won't make them abort). A lot of single women in their thirties are very decent, yet lonely. Some fall in the wrong hands out of their desire to find an emotional coverage, someone to spend time with, not necessarily money or intimacy.

However there is another category of baby mama-polygamy. The flavour, wizkid, dems , the careless and sometimes irresponsible men (boys) who, because of wealth, feel they can sleep with any ho-e. It is this category of ho-es who openly flaunt their titles on Twitter and Instagram. There is absolutely nothing to admire or learn from these folks. Take away the money and 10 minutes fame they enjoy on Nairaland front-page (courtesy of lalasticlala) and their lives are in complete ruins.

As regards the cat fights, it's one of the characteristics of institutionalized polygamy - enshrined in religion (as instructed for example by Mohammed), and culture (e.g. the traditional Yoruba culture). That's the reason a man like Tinubu, being Yoruba and a Muslim can stupidly pride himself as a polygamous man. Men like Tinubu are stup!d because the only time they ever remember culture and religion is on issues bothering on illicit s e x. When the time to steal and disenfranchised a region comes, they quickly remind you of the need to promote Nigeria's unity and share the resources evenly. Same unity they can't promote with their dirty deeks.

Lastly, you need to draw a distinction between adultery, baby mama, and polygamy. Polygamy does not necessarily means adultery, especially when men hide under culture and religion.

Polygamy means a marriage has taken place. Women and men in this category have that "legal right" to pride themselves as married women/men.

Since majority of baby mamas today are "legally" married only in the supreme court of Instagram and Magistrate court of Twitter, the word polygamy may not be suitable for their cases. These ones don't have that legal rights to call themselves married women, but they have human rights and the rights to seek attention.

4 Likes

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2016
The thing with Polygamy is that a man must have committed adultery before polygamy takes place even if he never slept with the wife before marrying her.

The process of wooing a second wife is adultery.

CC: Acidosis
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 11:59am On Dec 07, 2016
bukatyne:
The thing with Polygamy is that a man must have committed adultery before polygamy takes place even if he never slept with the wife before marrying her.

The process of wooing a second wife is adultery.

CC: Acidosis

You're right. Thanks for the new insight
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by oloyede252(m): 12:06pm On Dec 07, 2016
Acidosis:
I think polygamy based on religious grounds is totally different from the baby mama and side chick type.

Please note that some baby mamas never planned to be one. Women are very emotional and sometimes they get too attracted to say no to the little little advances and emotional covering from men they admire. Most of the time, it is the little attempts that result to pregnancy (which morality won't make them abort). A lot of single women in their thirties are very decent, yet lonely. Some fall in the wrong hands out of their desire to find an emotional coverage, someone to spend time with, not necessarily money or intimacy.

However there is another category of baby mama-polygamy. The flavour, wizkid, dems , the careless and sometimes irresponsible men (boys) who, because of wealth, feel they can sleep with any ho-e. It is this category of ho-es who openly flaunt their titles on Twitter and Instagram. There is absolutely nothing to admire or learn from these folks. Take away the money and 10 minutes fame they enjoy on Nairaland front-page (courtesy of lalasticlala) and their lives are in complete ruins.
Men like Tinubu are stup!d

Lastly, you need to draw a distinction between adultery, baby mama, and polygamy. Polygamy does not necessarily means adultery, especially when men hide under culture and religion.

Polygamy means a marriage has taken place. Women and men in this category have that "legal right" to pride themselves as married women/men.

Since majority of baby mamas today are "legally" married only in the supreme court of Instagram and Magistrate court of Twitter, the word polygamy may not be suitable for their cases. These ones don't have that legal rights to call themselves married women, but they have human rights and the rights to seek attention.

" Men like Tinubu are stup!d" .....just thank God you didn't make this statement in politics section.
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by dangotesmummy: 2:20pm On Dec 07, 2016
Adultery, polygamy and baby Mama ism are all the same thing. It can be likened to 3 ethnic groups e.g Yoruba Hausa and igbo. They're all Nigerians with similar values yet different.every woman at one point have engaged in any of these based on the circumstances surrounding them and of course influence from friends or family
Acidosis:

As regards the cat fights, it's one of the characteristics of institutionalized polygamy - enshrined in religion (as instructed for example by Mohammed), and culture (e.g. the traditional Yoruba culture). That's the reason a man like Tinubu, being Yoruba and a Muslim can stupidly pride himself as a polygamous man. Men like Tinubu are stup!d because the only time they ever remember culture and religion is on issues bothering on illicit s e x. When the time to steal and disenfranchised a region comes, they quickly remind you of the need to promote Nigeria's unity and share the resources evenly. Same unity they can't promote with their dirty deeks.

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 2:24pm On Dec 07, 2016
oloyede252:

" Men like Tinubu are stup!d" .....just thank God you didn't make this statement in politics section.
Really? Lol
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 2:26pm On Dec 07, 2016
dangotesmummy:
Adultery, polygamy and baby Mama ism are all the same thing. It can be likened to 3 ethnic groups e.g Yoruba Hausa and igbo. They're all Nigerians with similar values yet different. every woman at one point have engaged in any of these based on the circumstances surrounding them and of course influence from friends or family
bukatyne sad sad sad sad so its true? sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 07, 2016
dangotesmummy:
Adultery, polygamy and baby Mama ism are all the same thing. It can be likened to 3 ethnic groups e.g Yoruba Hausa and igbo. They're all Nigerians with similar values yet different. every woman at one point have engaged in any of these based on the circumstances surrounding them and of course influence from friends or family
Ah
Iya Dangote!!! shocked
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 7:54pm On Dec 07, 2016
Women will be fourth wives or baby mamas or side chicks waiting for their own personal well-to-do guy if the man is rich enough to provide for them, it's a natural phenomenon. Men will be with As many women as they can afford, another biological imperative. Only a few of either sex will stray from these generalisations. As a result, polygamy is here to stay, and no amount of preaching will do anything to diminish the practise of it.

I can't wait to have a wife in every state in Nigeria, with two in every southeastern state. grin
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 8:11pm On Dec 07, 2016
Per the OP citing selfishness and greed in the part of the women in proliferating this practice, I totally agree. I'm sure most men would rather just have the milk for free and move on. Most men don't want to have children everywhere with different women, but there's something about skin-to-skin that makes condom sexx feel like eating saltless rice without stew.

Pregnancy is a woman's responsibity, unless she gets raped. Even then, a quick visit to the hospital or neighbourhood pharmacy will put paid to any unwanted seed. But no, they have eyes on the man's ability to provide their needs. I'm not sure what proportion of second wives exist due to love for their husband,but I'm willing to bet a negligible portion, if any.

True story: I know a second wife, baby mama actually. I was around her when she called her baby daddy who was obviously at a bar. She heard female voices in the background, at a bar, and she began to curse any woman who was against her happiness. This babe wasn't even a second wife, she just had a child for this married dude and she's flinging curses all about. grin

In my mind, I just wondered if she understood the irony of her situation. If she felt so threatened, how does the wife of her baby daddy feel knowing her husband goes to visit his child and even sleep over at his baby mama's house?

2 Likes

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by dangotesmummy: 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
PaperLace:

Ah
Iya Dangote!!! shocked
I'm stating the obvious na except anyone chooses to live in self denial
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by raumdeuter: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
1. Is Tunubu a polygamist? I have only heard of Remi Tinubu as his wife

2. The truth is most women see relationship with men as a way of of getting financial reward. Whether as girlfriends who demand that their BF pays part or all of their bill to women who willingly go after married men, The honest truth is most women will like the money and comfort they will get from a rich guy regardless of his current marital status. If they advertize that a rich man needs a side chic, baby momma or even better second wife, Lets see how many women will willingly apply

3. How is Polygamy as practised here different from the serial monogamy of the west. E.g a 25yr old man who has 8 live in girl friends cohabiting before the age of 30 and replaces them every 6months to 1yr, Then gets married and divorces another 6 times. That means he shared a "marital" relationship with like 14 women. That is minus the hookups here and there who didnt live with him

On the negatives of it, I hae a friend whose mother was married to a rich man had a kid but left him for a richer man then. The man is dead now they had 3 kids together but all the number of days she spent with the man in the same house was not up 200days for their entire married life. I am sure she knew this before going into it but she didnt mind because of the London travels, US vacation big cars that came with it.

The new husband is long dead and she lives alone now, No husband she is in her 60's and probably regret the move she made over 35yrs ago

2 Likes

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2016
raumdeuter:

The new husband is long dead and she lives alone now, No husband she is in her 60's and probably regret the move she made over 35yrs ago

I doubt she regrets it, unless there's no more money. If she was left a healthy inheritance or made money in her younger hustling days, all she need do is employ a boy toy to service the engine when necessary. Problem solved.
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by raumdeuter: 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
Timbuktuo:
I doubt she regrets it unless there's no more money. If she was left a healthy inheritance or made money in her younger hustling days, all she need do is employ a boy toy to service the engine when necessary. Problem solved.

Of course there is no more money. The older kids of the first wife who are about her age sat on all the money and left all the remaining wifes and kids dry

The wife and kids are in Yankee doing normal hustle and are no different from regular kids who grew up. The wife now does petty babysitting on US and she hooks up here and there with some divorcee men and Older men looking for side action

Employing a boy toy isnt as sure as it looks, One it takes money, the boy toys start getting greedy, the women starts getting jealous
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 5:49pm On Dec 08, 2016
raumdeuter:

Of course there is no more money. The older kids of the first wife who are about her age sat on all the money and left all the remaining wifes and kids dry

The wife and kids are in Yankee doing normal hustle and are no different from regular kids who grew up. The wife now does petty babysitting on US and she hooks up here and there with some divorcee men and Older men looking for side action

Employing a boy toy isnt as sure as it looks, One it takes money, the boy toys start getting greedy, the women starts getting jealous

I guess she didn't plan her future well. She had to have known her baby daddy isn't immortal. She should have had an end game. Oh, well, not like she showed much sign of critical thinking all along anyway.
Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 5:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
raumdeuter:

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by raumdeuter: 6:16pm On Dec 08, 2016
Timbuktuo:
I guess she didn't plan her future well. She had to have known her baby daddy isn't immortal. She should have had an end game. Oh, well, not like she showed much sign of critical thinking all along anyway.

Its difficult to plan with a man you probably see and sleep together 10days a yr when he meets you in London on vacation. A man who had 4 wives before you married him and married another 5 after you. You and him know what the deal and relationship is all about. The man too probably only respects his first wife and sees the other women as materials he acquired as a result of his wealth

Lets use MKO ABiola as an example do you think he had any plans with any of his wives beyond Simbiat and Kudirat? He definitely knew that maybe beyond those 2 the rest were not even loyal to him which was why he asked every child not born to those 2 women for full DNA before they qualify for inheritance

Or using Fela as an example what do you think is happening currently to the 27wives he married on same day? They are probably suffering and all Felas royalties is being cornered by his oldest kids like Femi, Yeni etc

There might be a Maccido, Abiola, a Fela (insert any dead rich polygamist) kid somewhere through wife number 15 who is suffering just like a son of a nobody

2 Likes

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 7:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
My grandfather was a polygamist with 5 wives ; he was a king.

He never died alone.

I'm a grandmother myself now and from my childhood, as far as I can tell, there was no " serious" squabbles or fights within that household.

All the children relate well, same with the wives up till date. I freely visit, stay, eat from all grannies, uncles, aunts pots and vice versa.

I don't know how he and indeed many others like him did it.

3 Likes

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by missjo(f): 9:25pm On Dec 09, 2016
deathcomestoall:
Having been birthed from the trenches of polygamy, I think I am well equipped to talk about this topic. I am focusing on this subject because it has not been confronted for years and it is slowly being bred into our mind by the media. Debating polygamy will remind us why we should all join the fight to abolish it.
I would not be talking about women who are forced into polygamy due to religion or culture but will be addressing women who go into polygamy voluntarily, e.g., the side chicks A.K.A. baby mamas.

What are the practical reasons for women living in such a life style?
‘Majority of ladies in Nigeria are greedy. They have unrealistic expectations of guys and as a result ignore average guys and then go for the alpha male who believe they are a gift to women and the world’-humilitypays. They would rather have 10% of a 100% man than 100% of a 10% man.
Many single women entering into adulterous polygamy have idealistic ideas about great joy, power, wealth, financial security, respect, etc. which never happens completely especially when they realize they are just a number. Another reason is, a sense of family motivates women into polygamy especially those who are approaching 30 with no suitor.

Women like this betray their own moral compass and justify the affair. Women like this don't care about anyone else but themselves not even their kids. No respect for others or themselves, no mind to know right from wrong, no mind to know when to take responsibility for their actions. Dishonest and liars. Bad parenting. They have no twinge of conscience.
Many women with children who keep on staying in this mentally abusive façade say its for their children and for them to get their equal share of wealth. Lies. The children are being used as financial security in the beginning.

The only positive part of polygamy is that women learn to share while denying their own selfish desires.
Many polygamous men end up with irresponsible ladies who leech off them. The prospectives of adulterous polygamous men is dating prospective new wives.

From my analysis, I realize in many cases, polygamous fathers die alone
Many polygamists distance themselves from their families, pursue and woo other women to make themselves feel virile and worthy to become gods. Polygamous men see themselves as better or more valuable than other members of their family especially the women. Fathers are more like visitors in their children's lives.

From what I have seen in my experience as a child born and raised in polygamy, there is always one favourite wife, sometimes more and favourite child or children. The children who are unlucky enough to be the offspring of the mother who is not the favourite wife are often neglected and sometimes abused by their father. Growing up in polygamy is a trap, you basically have no identity.

Women and Men who voluntarily go into polygamy is as a result of bad parenting and often repeat the same to their children. There is no unity in polygamy, occasional cat fights between neglected and jealous wives. These kids grow up hating themselves, one(depending on whose side they are on) or both parents. Modern day polygamists children are often lost in the crowd of needy siblings and often resent the fact that they are notches in their fathers belt.

A very high percentage of children who come out from polygamous home are depressed and often tend to lead the lives their parents lived. They are too unhappy and confused to make wise choices. Any young woman who didn't get enough attention from her father can be a prime target for a lustful man(Yoruba demon) who steps in to fill their need for fatherly love.

Sometimes, I wonder why Nigeria isn't moving forward when we have staunch polygamists like Tinubu, Obasanjo, etc., at the helm of affairs whose families are not united but think they are in the best position to unite a country. No polygamous society has ever being a true liberal democracy.

Polygamy is not the beautiful principle and lifestyle some people try to claim it is. There is no benefit in polygamy. It is a destroyer of natural affection. Anyone who partakes in affairs get berated in the end. No matter what anyone says, it is usually terrible for the children and I wish children from polygamous families won't propagate this life style.

The world can be your problem but you are your own solution.

Disclaimer: I am only addressing the emotional aspect when mentioning polygamous children and not their ability to be successful in their chosen path in life.
I think this is a completely subjective opinion.

1 Like

Re: One Man, Many Wives. The Truth About Modern Day Polygamy in Nigeria by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2017
Visit this thread to read interesting submissions on matters arising in polygyny, like: Is it advisable for the first and second wife to live together? ; should a man that is not capable of fulfilling the sexual needs of the first wife take a second wife?

https://www.nairaland.com/4112695/polygyny-should-live-second-wife#61411074

(1) (Reply)

/ GOTV Issues... Please Are You Experiencing This / Help! Help! Help My Family!!!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.