Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why (3217 Views)

Why My Relationship With Wizkid Did Not Work – Tiwa Savage / 10 Iconic Rappers That Have Never Won A Grammy Award / #wizkiddiditfirst Trending On Twitter: See What Wizkid Did First (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Nnysher: 10:58am On Dec 07, 2016
I read to my consternation on Premium Times and on Nairaland that Wizkid was nominated for a Grammy Award for "his role in Drake's single, One Dance."

I browsed through the Grammy nominations, which were unveiled yesterday by last year's Best New Artist winner Meghan Trainor, and there was not a single nomination for Drake's "One Dance" or Wizkid. Rather, what I saw there were nominations for Drake's album "Views."

They are quite different scenarios. If a "record" or "performance" gets nominated, the nomination goes to all the artistes who performed the track. As we all know, Drake, Kyla and Wizkid were the artistes on the track, One Dance. However, One Dance was neither nominated as a record or a performance in any of the categories, hence Wizkid did not get a nomination.

Secondly, if a "song" gets nominated, the nomination goes to the songwriters of the track, not the performers. As we all also know, the songwriting for One Dance was credited to Drake, Wizkid and a host of others. Then again, One Dance was not nominated as a song in any of the nominations, hence Wizkid was not nominated.

However, the album that had One Dance in it, "Views," was nominated in several categories. But, that doesn't mean that all the individual tracks in the album were nominated. Rather, it just means that the album as a whole was nominated as a body of work. Herein, the nominations will go to the artiste(s), producers and the mastering engineers of the album.

"Views" is Drake's album so he's the sole artiste. Wizkid did not produce the album and he also was not a mastering engineer. Hence, Wizkid gets no nomination again.

There is so much misinformation going on in Nigeria and I wonder if it's due to illiteracy, pure mischief, the rise of the social media or the sheer laziness of our journalist in digging deep and getting their facts right. If you are still in doubt, visit any of these sites and find out for yourself if there's a single mention of Wizkid:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7597556/grammys-nominees-complete-list-2017

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-ms-2017-grammy-nominations-live-updates-20161205-htmlstory.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Airforce1(m): 11:06am On Dec 07, 2016
The fact that Wizkid was on drake's "One Dance" song which got Grammy nomination already makes him a winner.

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Davidblen(m): 11:06am On Dec 07, 2016
Wait.. I Am Not Understanding I Thought They There Said He Was Nominated Na
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Divay22(f): 11:13am On Dec 07, 2016
one hater spotted, or are you trying to be
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Asawana123: 11:17am On Dec 07, 2016
Stop misinforming people.. Jst cos you u hate wizkid... For goodness sake wizkid name is there..
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 07, 2016
so wetin did story teach us? Hater!!!!
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by verygudbadguy(m): 11:20am On Dec 07, 2016
We love Wizzy. That's why we always got facts about him.

Source: https://www.grammy.com/nominees

Views
Drake

dvsn, Future, Kyla, PartyNextDoor, Rihanna & Wizkid, featured artists; Brian Alexander-Morgan, Axlfoliethc, Beat Bully, Boi-1Da, Cardo, Dwayne "Supa Dups" Chin-Quee, Daxz, DJ Dahi, Frank Dukes, Maneesh, Murda Beatz, Nineteen85, Ricci Riera, Allen Ritter, Noah "40" Shebib, Southside, Sevn Thomas, Jordan Ullman, Kanye West, Wizkid & Young Exclusive, producers; Noel Cadastre, Noel "Gadget" Campbell, Seth Firkins, David "Prep" Bijan Huges & Noah "40" Shebib, engineers/mixers; Chris Athens, mastering engineer
Label: Young Money/Cash Money/Republic Records

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 07, 2016
Asawana123:
Stop misinforming people.. Jst cos you u hate wizkid... For goodness sake wizkid name is there..
Leave the mumu. Na likes he dey pursue.....Nairalanders make Una EPP op make Una contribute like for am make he take buy Christmas goat.
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by 9jaBloke: 11:36am On Dec 07, 2016
Much as I love Wizkid, Op is actually making a point. I was very hopeful that 'One Dance' will get at least one nomination. Oyinbo and their ojoro!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Nnysher: 11:42am On Dec 07, 2016
9jaBloke:
Much as I love Wizkid, Op is actually making a point. I was very hopeful that 'One Dance' will get at least one nomination. Oyinbo and their ojoro!
At least there are still sane people in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by CecyAdrian(f): 11:57am On Dec 07, 2016
Airforce1:
The fact that Wizkid was on drake's "One Dance" song which got Grammy nomination already makes him a winner.

Did u even read what the Op explained up there or u just rushed to comment

4 Likes

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by CecyAdrian(f): 12:07pm On Dec 07, 2016
Asawana123:

Seriously how did he inform people?? 'Views' album as a work of art was nominated and Drake is the owner of Views album. It's only natural for him to acknowledge everyone (artist) who contributed to it's success but they won't be sharing his award with him!

Seriously no one is beefing Wizkid, but you people should stop making the outside world think Nigerians to be intellectually low with the kind of things that we say and rejoice over

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by neeyah212(f): 12:25pm On Dec 07, 2016
Every artiste who contributes to an album nominated for Album of The Year automatically get a nomination also. Chimamanda Adichie got a nomination in 2015 when Beyonce got nominated for the album of the year because Beyonce sampled her speech on a song. So Wizkid actually has a nomination also. His name is on the Grammys website also.

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by neeyah212(f): 12:28pm On Dec 07, 2016
[quote author=CecyAdrian post=51712160]

Seriously how did he inform people?? 'Views' album as a work of art was nominated and Drake is the owner of Views album. It's only natural for him to acknowledge everyone (artist) who contributed to it's success but they won't be sharing his award with him!

According to the Grammys rules, all the names listed under Drake from featured artists to producers and studio engineers will be sharing his award if he wins cos they contributed to it. I'm not a fan of Wizkid but fact is fact.

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Asawana123: 1:21pm On Dec 07, 2016
CecyAdrian:

Seriously no one is beefing Wizkid, but you people should stop making the outside world think Nigerians to be intellectually low with the kind of things that we say and rejoice over
CecyAdrian:

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Nnysher: 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2016
neeyah212:
Every artiste who contributes to an album nominated for Album of The Year automatically get a nomination also. Chimamanda Adichie got a nomination in 2015 when Beyonce got nominated for the album of the year because Beyonce sampled her speech on a song. So Wizkid actually has a nomination also. His name is on the Grammys website also.
You are wrong. Chimamanda got nominated because Beyonce's track "Flawless" was nominated. Always get your facts right before you start spewing trash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by neeyah212(f): 9:05am On Dec 08, 2016
Nnysher:
You are wrong. Chimamanda got nominated because Beyonce's track "Flawless" was nominated. Always get your facts right before you start spewing trash.
I think you are the one who need to get your facts right cos you are the one definitely spewing trash. Flawless was never nominated for a grammy. Her nominations that year were for Album of The year, urban contemporary album, best music film, best surround album and R&B song and R&B performance for Drunk in love. Drunk in love was the only single she was nominated for. You can check the full list here
http://www.billboard.com/articles/6363565/grammys-2015-nominations-57th-annual
Please do your research before exposing your ignorance next time.

2 Likes

Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by neeyah212(f): 9:06am On Dec 08, 2016
Nnysher:

Album of the Year is the most prestigious award category at the Grammys having been presented since 1959 .
Although it was originally presented to the artist alone, the award is now presented to the main artist, the featured artist(s), the producer, the engineer and/or mixer and the mastering engineer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by LilTyRoNe: 9:37am On Dec 08, 2016
Asawana123:

Did you read the list of nominated artists and songs if so post it or idonbelivit
Re: Wizkid Did Not Get Nominated For A Grammy Award! Read Why by Realityemma(m): 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2016
LilTyRoNe:

Did you read the list of nominated artists and songs if so post it or idonbelivit
here is the list sir. www.grammy.com/nominees

(1) (Reply)

I Don't Want To Sell My Body For Money, Final Year Student Begs For Help (pics) / Ice Prince Ex, Maima Flaunts Butt And Hot Bod In Sexy Beach Shoot / Stella Damasus Cheap Makeup Tricks Leaves Her Looking Like Chinese Ghost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.