Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. (25006 Views)

BREAKING: UI Students Caught For The Misuse Of University Equipment- VIDEO / Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" / Misuse Of The Word Tout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by onatisi(m): 6:52am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Good day fellow nairalanders. Many a time I come across posts where these words 'advice' and 'advise' are used interchangeably . For instance, someone might want to say 'I need your advice' and we see something like 'I need your advise' which is wrong. 'Please advice me' instead of 'Please advise me'. Now the thing is, the word 'advice' is a noun and does not take 'to' modal auxiliaries such as will, would, may, can etc,. Has/have/had cannot also come before it, eg, my advice for you is this, work hard. NOT My advise for you is this, work hard. Advise is a verb which can admit 'to' and the auxiliary verbs above before it eg, I wish to advise you/I may advise you/I will advise you to... So advice seekers need to take note of these things so that we can as well, advise you. Peace. cool
very complicated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by RatedStar: 6:53am On Dec 08, 2016
Seriously, all these confusion for a language that's not my mother tongue. oh please, pass
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by lumzybo: 6:54am On Dec 08, 2016
slenderdude:
The trick is to know that N comes before V so does C before S, With C is a noun (N), with S is a verb (V).

Once this is recognized you can go back to basics and ask yourself if you're using the word as a verb or noun.

This helped me a lot back in schl.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by madridguy(m): 6:54am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice one from you @ OP.

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Spidermon: 7:05am On Dec 08, 2016
I saw a sensible thread on front-page that didnt come from the politics section and i was just like......

Wow
Wow
Wow
Wow
Wow....
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Newbiee: 7:07am On Dec 08, 2016
Thank you op for this one.
Please can we have more words like that?

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Blurryface(m): 7:11am On Dec 08, 2016
Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

I did not saw you in the party last night.

Anytime I hear stuffs like these, I wonder how the person managed to graduate FROM primary school

Stuffs? grin

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ChelseaDr(m): 7:11am On Dec 08, 2016
Good one there........

just like Practice and Practise

2 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Preator: 7:17am On Dec 08, 2016
devigblegble:
Advice or advise English ain't my first language or my mother's tongue... Omo Yoruba ni mi I speak fluently in Yoruba like kilode
are u sure u speak Yoruba fluently? more than half of this generation speak pitiable yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by JAWASIL(m): 7:20am On Dec 08, 2016
adedayoa2:
Ok
Thank you for this

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 7:22am On Dec 08, 2016
VickyRotex:
Op, Nice One. cool But kindly space your write up next time.

And try to be more detailed. wink

Thanks ma'am. The type of phone I use is nothing to write home about. undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by muyibaba222(m): 7:24am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice Post OP
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by lionphil(m): 7:24am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Good day fellow nairalanders. Many a time I come across posts where these words 'advice' and 'advise' are used interchangeably . For instance, someone might want to say 'I need your advice' and we see something like 'I need your advise' which is wrong. 'Please advice me' instead of 'Please advise me'. Now the thing is, the word 'advice' is a noun and does not take 'to' modal auxiliaries such as will, would, may, can etc,. Has/have/had cannot also come before it, eg, my advice for you is this, work hard. NOT My advise for you is this, work hard. Advise is a verb which can admit 'to' and the auxiliary verbs above before it eg, I wish to advise you/I may advise you/I will advise you to... So advice seekers need to take note of these things so that we can as well, advise you. Peace. cool

God bless you...I have always been interchanging these words...guess you have advised me properly. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Prechy08(m): 7:29am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice one op, just when i hear people even OAP's says "THE REASON WHY " e.g the reason why he did that, or the reason why the government did....... Its either the reason or why, this two word mean same thing and cant go together in a sentence.

7 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by MG02: 7:30am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice one
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by teenagetalks(f): 7:38am On Dec 08, 2016
Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

Anytime I hear stuffs like these, I wonder how the person managed to graduate FROM primary school

pls stuff remain stuff not stuffs

2 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ogaprime(m): 7:41am On Dec 08, 2016
slenderdude:
The trick is to know that N comes before V so does C before S, With C is a noun (N), with S is a verb (V).

Once this is recognized you can go back to basics and ask yourself if you're using the word as a verb or noun.

Or advICE with an "ice" and advISE with "I see"
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayusco85(m): 7:44am On Dec 08, 2016
MrBen10:
Whether 'advice' or 'advise', as far as the other person understand what am saying, then no problem. I cannot coman kill myself over english that is not even my mother tongue.

You must have been a terrible student. Someone just dropped some vital knowledge and here u are forming English isn't Ur first language.

Do u communicate in Ur dialect at work or at school?

3 Likes

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Troubleking: 7:45am On Dec 08, 2016
Yeah, like some persons interchange 'prophecy' (noun) and 'prophesy' (verb).

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayusco85(m): 7:46am On Dec 08, 2016
devigblegble:
Advice or advise English ain't my first language or my mother's tongue... Omo Yoruba ni mi I speak fluently in Yoruba like kilode

You must have been a terrible student. Someone just dropped some vital knowledge and here u are forming English isn't Ur first language.

Do u communicate in Ur dialect at work or at school?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 08, 2016
I love this

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ogaprime(m): 7:48am On Dec 08, 2016
Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

teenagetalks:

Did you came yesterday?

pls stuff remain stuff not stuffs

Na this kine thing no dey make me correct nairalanders gunshots because I fit go fire bazooka in the process of firing back.

Na the reason I yan in pidgin, no gunshots....

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by drnoel: 7:52am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:

Weldone, I interchange those words too often in my attempt to hurriedly write. Big thanx OP
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Divay22(f): 7:57am On Dec 08, 2016
noted
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by engrjacuzzi: 8:06am On Dec 08, 2016
the worst is that not all our English graduates know this....please, let me ask which of the two statements is correct

" i have seen you wear the green T-shirt before" or "I have seen you worn the green T-shirt before".
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Phrankin(m): 8:11am On Dec 08, 2016
OP, Who ur advise epp
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 8:12am On Dec 08, 2016
engrjacuzzi:
the worst is that not all our English graduates know this....please, let me ask which of the two statements is correct

" i have seen you wear the green T-shirt before" or "I have seen you worn the green T-shirt before".
I have seen you worn the green T-shirt/You once wore the green T-shirt.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by wunmi590(m): 8:15am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:

Thank you for the correction, at least, have gained something this morning on NL.
cool

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by engrjacuzzi: 8:24am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
I have seen you worn the green T-shirt/You once wore the green T-shirt.

please can you explain for others to learn.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Strength1(m): 8:25am On Dec 08, 2016
Hmm ive learnt a new one
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Biographyroom(f): 8:32am On Dec 08, 2016
I realised the miskate some days ago and I visited my dictionary to know how to use them correctly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss / Michael Okpara University Hostel Is On Fire (Photos) / Crying Is Permitted — Lecturer Tells Students Sitting For Their Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.