Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,832 members, 7,824,463 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Hole In My Skin - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hole In My Skin (1627 Views)

The Hole In The Wall / Round In A Hole...... Short Story By Drabeey / The Hole (sci-fi) mini -series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hole In My Skin by engeejeanie: 12:06am On Dec 08, 2016
HOLE IN MY SKIN

I did not know that men called breasts oranges until the day Chizoba tried to touch my chest. He had done the same with Nkiru and Angela before. I slapped his hand as one would swat a mosquito, the blade in my hand grazing him. He laughed and threw his head back while rubbing the spot with his other palm.
“Ogadimma, it is the oranges on your chest which I want, not the ones in your tray.”
I hissed, put the half-peeled orange back into my tray and walked away.

It was not the way his hand stretched to touch my breasts or the way his laughter sounded like a vulcanizing machine. It was that he called my breasts oranges at all. Some thing to be consumed. I imagined him sucking them the way the children on my street sucked oranges; their cheeks sinking in, drawing the juice as if their lives depended on it, turning the oranges inside-out to tear the pulp into their mouths and sometimes leaving a hole in the skin.

The second time my breasts bore that name was the night my Aunty’s husband came home smelling of alcohol. My aunty had gone to the big church on the next street for their monthly prayer vigil.
“Ogadimma, you have very beautiful oranges.” He said, the smell of alcohol on his breath. I tried to wriggle out of his grip but his hands were too firm.
That night, I felt like an orange. Sucked dry. With a hole left in my skin. The next day, my aunty came back. I did not tell her. I did not look at her husband’s face when he walked past me on his way to work.

That afternoon, as I sat with Nkiru and Angela by the big church on the next street, two men walked up to us. They said they wanted to take photos of us with our wares on our heads. The one with the camera hanging around his neck was tall. He had too much hair on his face. The other one called him Jidenna. He looked at us, from one person to the other the way some customers looked at my oranges to decide which ones to buy. I heard him tell the other one that he wanted to take a portrait of one of us. His eyes rested on my face too long. I looked away. He came towards me. He smelled of grass and something else.
“Your eyes tell a story”, he said. He looked into my face searchingly. I looked down at my feet, afraid he would see everything.

But when he asked me to look into the camera, I looked. Hoping he would see the pain in my heart and the scars under my clothes through the lens.
“Don’t smile”, he said. And I wanted to tell him that even if I wanted to, I could not. That I did not know how to spread lips and open teeth anymore.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hole In My Skin by Eberechi24(f): 5:04pm On Mar 23, 2018
u do have a nice story going here, what made u stopped? I guess no one commented on it? But u gave up so fast. On urself
Re: Hole In My Skin by omojesu316(m): 10:11am On Jun 26, 2018
I totally agree, i want to read the story
Re: Hole In My Skin by JULI3BAE: 11:45am On Jun 29, 2018
me too,pls continue

(1) (Reply)

Sex And Fasting A Tale Of A Devoted Woman. Part 2 / Happy Birthday To Pamelb And Souloho19 / Fiction: How My Wicked Uncle Tried To Kill Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.