Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (18160 Views)

Debunking The Lies Of The Jehovah's Witnesses That Jesus Didn't Resurrect Bodily / Jesus Didn't Die: He Wasn't Even Crucified On The Cross / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

So participating in church and giving kids Christian morals is what makes u a Christians... When he said he doesn't know if there is God, has he made any statement to change that position since then but u just decided on your own that he's a Christian?? Once again, u are a joke
... However, no answer about the failed prophecy yet??

19 yrs gist. Yet his actions speak louder than words. The same Christian morals is what has driven him to be such a great giver. I suppose Atheism had nothing to teach him about morality which was why he opted for Christian values and morals.

We are doers of the word and not hearers only. A doer is who a believer is. For us to do that means we believe first. I am sure even something this simple you would not understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 1:05am On Dec 09, 2016
4everGod:

You are only in service because you are being paid a stipend to play an instrument that is why you are there at every service abi you no want make them pay you?

Bill is a rich guy. Who pays him for Going to church yet HE PARTICIPATES and chose christian morals and schools for his kids.

OYO is your case
U just make assumptions like u can't think... No one pays me anything, it's my local church and I've been playing there for 7years... Don't be that stupid next time
.. Is bill gates now sure there is God, has he changed his position that he does not know if there is God... Ask questions before u make assumptions next time
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

U just make assumptions like u can't think... No one pays me anything, it's my local church and I've been playing there for 7years... Don't be that stupid next time
.. Is bill gates now sure there is God, has he changed his position that he does not know if there is God... Ask questions before u make assumptions next time

Oga you must be high on something. You say you are an atheist yet you have been faithful in church for 7yrs playing instruments. Why are you lying for ATHEISM?

No shame in saying you are being paid because i know instrumentalists. You guys and money are like that Jacob zuma meme.

Abeg make i go sleep before this instrumentalist makes me miss my cheque.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 1:11am On Dec 09, 2016
4everGod:

19 yrs gist. Yet his actions speak louder than words. The same Christian morals is what has driven him to be such a great giver. I suppose Atheism had nothing to teach him about morality which was why he opted for Christian values and morals.

We are doers of the word and not hearers only. A doer is who a believer is. For us to do that means we believe first. I am sure even something this simple you would not understand.
Shut up... Where in that quote did he say he's guided by Christian morals?? He was talking about his children. Can u even read at all?? U claim u are a graduate but you argue like a toddler

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by HardMirror(m): 1:13am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:
Am just going to post a few verses of the scriptures here showing the position of God towards slavery.
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Now, u would think the new testament would forbid slavery but no, it doesn't:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

It's greatly disturbing that a supposedly good god who had the time to ban shellfish and the wearing of clothes off different materials didn't forbid one of the worst acts of man's inhumanity to man... What do you think??
Cc Mimzyy
I need answers too. But I can guess it is cos the whole bible was fabricated by men, so they wrote based on their own personal morals. Why wld a god be more concerned on banning shellfish and eating pigs than banning slavery.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 1:16am On Dec 09, 2016
4everGod:

Oga you must be high on something. You say you are an atheist yet you have been faithful in church for 7yrs playing instruments. Why are you lying for ATHEISM?

No shame in saying you are being paid because i know instrumentalists. You guys and money are like that Jacob zuma meme.

Abeg make i go sleep before this instrumentalist makes me miss my cheque.
You are an idiot... Instrumentalists don't usually receive stipends from the church they grew up... But u must insist I receive money because it fits your narrative and am not lying for atheism... That's the good thing about atheism or agnosticism or whatever name u call it, it does not threaten to burn me for eternity if I go to church...
I think u are just angry that an atheist has added more to his church than u a committed Christian will ever do... Or what are u in your church?? Pastor??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by HardMirror(m): 1:22am On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

If Seun puts this on FP ,then the rebuttal should also make FP

Seun should put this one on FP since it has over 2000 views and very interesting arguments

https://www.nairaland.com/3210816/bible-slavery-answering-ignorant-atheists

This thread is useless because of the link above
Ehya now fighting for fp for his thread
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by HardMirror(m): 1:26am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

U are comparing divorce with slavery?? And are u implying that God couldn't make a law against slavery because the people liked it?? Because that idea is against the notion that God is omnipotent.
And why did Jesus, the cooler version of his father fail to forbid slavery the same way he forbade divorce?? Or he considered divorce worse than slavery?
Behold what christianity is
A religion of hypocrites
Mimzyy u got answers?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jonbellion(m): 1:31am On Dec 09, 2016
MrPresident1:
Isaiah 45:7
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

My brother, please what is a suicide bomber?

Check that verse up the, peace and evil, our God is in charge of everything. [b]Suicide bomber is one of the judgment tools of our God. cheesy
[/b]Suicide bomber can never branch a righteous person's house except he has a debt to pay, in this life or in a previous incarnation.

your god is very daft
So with all the evils going in in this world Yahweh would rather look for suicide bombers to cause collateral damage than actually helping the fukking society
What an asshole
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jonbellion(m): 1:34am On Dec 09, 2016
MrPresident1:

Wetin dey worry this one? There is such a thing as judgment debt, no man can escape it. It is why it is in your own best interest to live as righteously as possibly because let me assure you, you will SURELY PAY. In this life or in your next incarnation grin
you are on some deep pot bro
Deep deep pot
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by mack111(m): 1:59am On Dec 09, 2016
It was so interesting reading all the comments. @seun why did u stop commenting naaaa!

If god is there, why is he hiding, allowing us to kill ourselves with arguments. Oh my! Freewill, seriously? "Pls don't tell me he's not hiding & he has revealed himself via d Bible"

This world is too bogously mysterious for one religious body to claim they have all the answers to sth absolutely no one in the world understands. How do you explain sth you don't understand?

The lame attempts to explain the unexplainable is ridiculously insane. Credits to science for trying though, with concrete evidences and not a promise of an afterlife.

Sex is a sin to most religions while wars, genocidal killngs, slavery e.t.c are supported by scriptural texts directly or indirectly. I no jus understand sef. Mtcheeew.

150years time, it won't matter anymore. Then we'd see if there's really an afterlife. Before he throws me into hell I guess, he owes me & d world an explanation as to why he's been so deceptive & cunning. Which ever god turns out to be d God.

Religion doesn't make sense except for the morals it preaches. But I don't need religion to teach me morals, thanks I'd pass.

Check out this interesting piece also https://500questions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 2:05am On Dec 09, 2016
mack111:
It was so interesting reading all the comments. I got bored when @seun stopped commenting.

If god is there, why is he hiding allowing us to kill ourselves with arguments. Oh my! Freewill, seriously? "Pls don't tell me he's not hiding & he has revealed himself via d Bible"

This world is too mysterious for one religious body to claim they have all the answers to sth absolutely no one in the world understands. How do you explain sth you don't understand.

The lame attempts to explain the unexplainable is ridiculously insane. Credits to science for trying though, with concrete evidences and not a promise of an afterlife.

Sex is a sin to most religions while wars, genocidal killngs, slavery e.t.c are supported by scriptural texts directly or indirectly. I no jus understand sef. Mtcheeew.

150years time, it won't matter anymore. Then we'd see if there's really an afterlife. Before he throws me into hell I guess, he owes me & d world an explanation as to why he's been so deceptive & cunning. Which ever god turns out to be d God.

I might not be sure about which god is the true god or if any god exists but one thing I'm pretty sure of lately is that the Abrahamic god doesn't exist!

if he does, I'm pretty sure he didn't inspire that book, neither did he make Israelites his own people; neither did he tell one group of people to murder children, neither did he punish the Egyptians with plagues and even killing all firstborn sons for taking Israelites slaves then told the Israelites how to make their slaves; neither did he send himself to sacrifice himself to himself to save us from himself

neither did he send a pedo prophet centuries after killing himself with three nails

Abrahamic gods as described in Judaism, Islam and Christianity doesn't exist and that is looking correct with every passing moment

6 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by mack111(m): 2:47am On Dec 09, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I might not be sure about which god is the true god or if any god exists but one thing I'm pretty sure of lately is that the Abrahamic god doesn't exist!

if he does, I'm pretty sure he didn't inspire that book, neither did he make Israelites his own people; neither did he tell one group of people to murder children, neither did he punish the Egyptians with plagues and even killing all firstborn sons for taking Israelites slaves then told the Israelites how to make their slaves; neither did he send himself to sacrifice himself to himself to save us from himself

neither did he send a pedo prophet centuries after killing himself with three nails

Abrahamic gods as described in Judaism, Islam and Christianity doesn't exist and that is looking correct with every passing moment

I couldn't agree more. A god who created them in his own imagine and likeness will still roast them at d end. Then what was d need of creation? It all doesn't make sense. If at d end, some are roasted and others go to heaven, and so? What next? d whole cycle continues? Are humans just puppets? Adjoined to your comment, if a god really exists, that's definitely not his words but clearly humans. It is obvious only if one shakes off d years of indoctrination.

This generation has seen d numerous loop holes in religion at large, not exclusively Christianity. It circles all out there. It has created an encyclopedia on negative stereotypes based on colours, way of life, food e.t.c. Tie a red and black pieces of clothings on your head, you are d devil.

If they must make people believe these delusions. They rather find a way to write a new book cos the ones they have are outdated. Just like science, new editions spawns yearly.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jonbellion(m): 4:00am On Dec 09, 2016
mack111:
It was so interesting reading all the comments. @seun why did u stop commenting naaaa!

If god is there, why is he hiding, allowing us to kill ourselves with arguments. Oh my! Freewill, seriously? "Pls don't tell me he's not hiding & he has revealed himself via d Bible"

This world is too bogously mysterious for one religious body to claim they have all the answers to sth absolutely no one in the world understands. How do you explain sth you don't understand?

Religion doesn't make sense except for the morals it preaches. But I don't need religion to teach me morals, thanks I'd pass.

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 09, 2016
Because he told us 2 love our neighbor as ourself.
would u enslave yerself??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Rilwayne001: 6:13am On Dec 09, 2016
jcross19:
you think am like you? Who can defend the truth. Am follower truth and I stand for it. God gave me free will to ask question anytime and question according to the book of isaiah 1 vs 18 . But you can't question the authority of koran because you are slave to it but am not.

Wow! Have you ever sit to question the authenticity of the crucifixion and resurrection claim
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 6:49am On Dec 09, 2016
ItzSuperPuff:
Because he told us 2 love our neighbor as ourself.
would u enslave yerself??

what an empty rhetoric

let me ask you

"Would you fork yourself?"

would you marry yourself?

would you kick yourself in the butt with the top of your foot?

it freaking takes 2
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 6:54am On Dec 09, 2016
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 09, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

what an empty rhetoric

let me ask you

"Would you fork yourself?"

would you marry yourself?

would you kick yourself in the butt with the top of your foot?

it freaking takes 2
u dont even believe he's real,there is no point in debating with u.
Goodbye.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Mimzyy(f): 8:22am On Dec 09, 2016
HardMirror:

Cc Mimzyy
I need answers too. But I can guess it is cos the whole bible was fabricated by men, so they wrote based on their own personal morals. Why wld a god be more concerned on banning shellfish and eating pigs than banning slavery.

Morning bro. Leme sift through. Brb.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jcross19: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Wow! Have you ever sit to question the authenticity of the crucifixion and resurrection claim
you think am in the same level with allah? Oh no!!!!!.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:18am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

Does this still justify slavery... U need to do better than this
Good morning. Hope you rested well. Just like with killing people in a war, slavery is not good. But had they not done these, they would have been killed and taken captive. It was a war situation.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

You are an idiot... Instrumentalists don't usually receive stipends from the church they grew up... But u must insist I receive money because it fits your narrative and am not lying for atheism... That's the good thing about atheism or agnosticism or whatever name u call it, it does not threaten to burn me for eternity if I go to church...
I think u are just angry that an atheist has added more to his church than u a committed Christian will ever do... Or what are u in your church?? Pastor??

lmao at contributing immensely as an instrumentalist. You think God cares so much about that as he would the true souls that are added to heaven in his church? You are a big joke and filled with illusions of grandeur.

Jesus is the head of the church so I am not dragging positions or profit with Him so I nothing but a branch and Jesus is the true vine.

I have contributed nothing so far in body of Christ and church but wish I could do more and indeed I desire to do more as crusades I carry out in several locations in Nigeria and outside are not enough, churches I have gifted instruments to are not enough, sowing one or 2 church buses is not enough, helping out in a few building projects is not enough, Renting a block of apartments to house the homeless in a local church isnt enough.....Indeed I have done nothing in my 20+ years as a believer when compared to what an instrumentalist has done in 7yrs in his fatherd church.

Keep on lying for atheism. But at least truthfully let your father know you are now an atheist especially since you claim he is a Pastor.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 9:23am On Dec 09, 2016
ItzSuperPuff:
u dont even believe he's real,there is no point in debating with u.
Goodbye.

why would I believe a Jewish folklore carpenter that was killed by three nails in faraway Israel died for my (Nigerians) misdemeanors?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:25am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

I read it... No forbidding slavery
Read it very well. It places slave trade on the same category as crimes/ills such as lying, rebellion and every other things that are "contrary to wholesome teaching"
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 9:29am On Dec 09, 2016
chrmn1:
Read it very well. It places slave trade on the same category as crimes/ills such as lying, rebellion and every other things that are "contrary to wholesome teaching"

and you're able to say this with a straight face? undecided
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:33am On Dec 09, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

and you're able to say this with a straight face? undecided
Say what with a straight face? I didn't really get your point but that scripture clearly points slave trade as a lawless act
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2016
chrmn1:
Good morning. Hope you rested well. Just like with killing people in a war, slavery is not good. But had they not done these, they would have been killed and taken captive. It was a war situation.
So they had no other choice then to enslave them??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:43am On Dec 09, 2016
chrmn1:
But when Onesimus escaped and came to him, he didn't tell him that he had a right not to be enslaved, instead, he first returned him back to his master. What if the master had decided he would not grant onesimus freedom?? Then he would have been a slave for the rest of his life... Paul didn't forbid slavery but he remembered to tell Christians that women should not function in church and should always cover their heads... Christianity is a joke
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:45am On Dec 09, 2016
chrmn1:
Say what with a straight face? I didn't really get your point but that scripture clearly points slave trade as a lawless act
No, it doesn't. God didn't forbid it, Jesus didn't... Slavery might not be a sin but slavery is
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:48am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

So they had no other choice then to enslave them??
Okay maybe they should have killed all of them. You think that's the better option? Now if Nation A conquered Nation B, it's only natural that Nation B would be planning a revenge mission so anything that would Nation A could do to place Nation B in a subdued position, would be the logical thing to do to prevent them from rearing up their heads and staging a comeback
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 09, 2016
foladara777:

But when Onesimus escaped and came to him, he didn't tell him that he had a right not to be enslaved, instead, he first returned him back to his master. What if the master had decided he would not grant onesimus freedom?? Then he would have been a slave for the rest of his life... Paul didn't forbid slavery but he remembered to tell Christians that women should not function in church and should always cover their heads... Christianity is a joke

Sharrap. Onesimus ran to Paul and Paul kept him and got him saved. However he still was legally bound ti Philemon so Paul also got Philemon saved before now asking Onesimus to return to Philemon and charged Philemon to see him as a free man and this demand by Paul was meant to make Philemon LEGALLY set Onesimus free from slavery which was why Paul said IF YOU SAY YOU ARE MY PARTNER THEN DO THAT WHICH IS RIGHT.

Never ever try to twist scripture to your own gain.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Vision Of Heaven And Hell / Catholic Church In Nigeria Celebrates Feast Of Christ The King Today / What Jesus Taught Kenneth Hagin About Authority

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.